[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Western, isometric CRPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

File: tyranny.jpg (69KB, 780x375px) Image search: [Google]
tyranny.jpg
69KB, 780x375px
The latest releases in the CRPG genre were Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny and Torment: Tides of Numenera. Pillars of Eternity will be out next.

Are there any other CPRGs I should be aware of? Either rcently released or coming out soon?
>>
expeditions viking / conquistador
shadowrun dragonfall / hk
>>
>>382416829
t. Turn based combat
>>
Pillars of Eternity is flawed but great
Tyranny is trash
Torment is ambitious but kind of fails what it's going for
We got Underrail: Expeditions coming soon
Can't wait for Deadfire
>>
Spiderweb Software is constantly coming out with new shit but that's serious autism/wizard territory
>>
File: 500h.png (85KB, 312x143px) Image search: [Google]
500h.png
85KB, 312x143px
>>382417013
those 4 games are great, idc
>>
>>382417153
>Pillars has real-time(esque) combat with pause.
>>382416829
>expeditions viking / conquistador
shadowrun dragonfall / hk
Full on turn based.

I could argue that Tides of Numenera is turn based as well - but combat in Numenera is rare and each battle is hand-crafted with lots of options.
>>
>>382417264
im saying I love rtwp more than turn based and I still highly recommend those 4
>>
>>382417049
>Tyranny is trash
Why?
>Torment fails what it's going for
And what would that be?
>Underrail
Is this even slightly compareable with the aforementiond games?
>>
you forgot something, OP

great combat, quests and exploration
>>
>>382417526
that garbage weeb writing though
>>
How's Expeditions:Viking ? is it playable yet ?
>>
>>382417506
>Why?
Pillars of Eternity except a tenth as good on every department. Bad writing, bad characters, bad combat, bad roleplaying, doesn't fulfill its concept

>And what would that be?
Planescape Torment

>Is this even slightly compareable with the aforementiond games?
Eh, kind of. It's more of a dungeon crawler than a story-based RPG. I whole-hardy recommend it if you're into those kinds of games.
>>
>>382417526
>Full 3D graphics instead of superior, hand-crafted 2D Backgrounds
>Artstyle that's even more cartoony than Blizzard's
>2deep4u forced combat-complexity
>t. turn-based combat.
I don't konw anything about the story
>>
>>382417737
How's turn-based combat a bad thing?
>>
>>382417660
yeah, lots of patches fixed a lot and balanced stuff

you get to move without attacking when youre surprised in battles, you can no longer instantly max skills, archery isnt completly op anymore
>>
>>382417629
I liked it way more than the writing of all other mentioned titles though. it felt like your typical western fantasy game. my problem was with the millions of items you find. a bit much if you ask me.
>>
>>382416789
Underrail.
Age of Decadence.

Also, No truce with furies coming soon.
>>
Am I the only person who loved numemera?
It was EXACTLY what they promised
>>
>>382417737
how is the combat complex? because you can combine spells for combos?
I thought it was one of the easiest rpgs to get into
>>
>>382417526
Overrated pile of shit.
>>
>>382417767
It HEAVILY depends on how it's done!
Good example would be: Tides of Numenera: every battle in the game is planned by the creators. There are always things in the enviornment that help you / can be interacted with. You can even talk to enemies while in combatl
Another good example: The Banner Saga. When you order an action - such as attacking someone, you will always know beforehand, how much damage you will do, etc. No RNG involved at all.
A REALLY Bad example would be: The Black Eye: Blackguards! Enemy attacks you and kills you in 1 hit because he had some lucky dice rolls.
Reload: he suddenly misses and you kill the enemy in 1 hat instead. You have to re-try EVERY battle in the game at least 2-3 times in order to win by sheer luck alone. And it's shit like this I think of when I hear: turn based.
>>
>>382417937
>Also, No truce with furies coming soon.
I can't wait for this game, I've been looking for non-combat heavy RPG for years.
>>
>>382417992

wasn't that written by sjws? I don't want some gay ass political messages in my fantasy rpgs.
>>
>>382418053
>Good example would be: Tides of Numenera:
HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA
>>
>>382418080
I'm very anti-SJW, and I don't remember anything that rustled my jimmies.
There might have been one small thing, but it was so innocuous I don't even remember what it was, and wasn't offended enough to stop playing
>>
>>382417937
>No truce with furies
Never heard of this game. According to a quick glance at some screenshots this looks like the kind of game I was asking for in OP. Thanks :)
>>
>>382418053
>Bad example would be: The Black Eye: Blackguards
Oh, yes, that was REALLY bad, but I mean good turn based. I wasn't a fan of combat in Numenera, with it's "skills", Banner Saga was too simplified, every fight felt the same, only harder than the last one, too grindy, but D:OS, and even better, D:OS II have pretty good combat. One other game, Jagged Alliance II had terrific combat, that's what I want to see in future RPGs.
>>
>>382417992
I like it too. You're not alone
>>382418080
Roughly 20 hours into the game. No (obvious) signs of it yet.
>>
>>382417526
Good combat, shit everything else
>>
>>382417992
It's flawed work and doesn't live up to its predecessor, but I definitely enjoyed my time in The Ninth World. Game totally doesn't deserve all that shit it gets.
>>
>>382417823

alright i got it.
>>
File: 1487353361344.jpg (48KB, 350x461px) Image search: [Google]
1487353361344.jpg
48KB, 350x461px
>>382417737
>2deep4u forced combat-complexity
Thinks you read on /v/. Holy fucking shit.
>>
>>382417992
nah it was pretty good. not as good as planescape, but not that far away either.
only problem I saw was that they tried a bit too hard to make the end a hard hitter.
>>
>>382418602
*Things
>>
Serpent in the Staglands
>>
>>382418080
To be fair, setting implies some part of SJWness. It's really far future, hence most people're of mixed race. And there is like one line near the end about how your sire explored other genders. Way overblown IMO.
>>
>>382416789
Check the Copper dreams updates from the kikestarter. These guys have something special in the works
>>
i'd probably enjoy all these crpgs if they were turn based, real time with pausing is the objectively worst combat system
>>
>>382418772
I didn't really take that line as being SJW.
I mean, if you could be anybody, and switch bodies at will, wouldn't you want to be a woman sometimes?
I play female characters sometimes when given a choice, but I fucking hate SJW faggots
>>
>>382417013
The thread says CRPGs, not real time with pause.
>>
>>382418739
I was looking forward to it when it was first announced.
Then it turned out to be a troll-game like "I want to be the guy" or the likes.
>>
>>382417506
Underrail is a new Fallout while those are all Infinity Engine based things. There's a lot of crossover but yeah they're a different strokes for different folks situation

t. Have both.
>>
>>382418889
>>
>>382418739
Expansion when. I'm waiting for it to play
>>
>>382418772
I forget to mention that there is a quest about companion's lost gay lover. It's actually pretty good.

>>382418886
I kinda agree, that's why it didn't bother me that much. If you could switch bodies that easily, wouldn't you try something new?
>>
has wotc let anyone make a d&d game lately?

i'd play nwn2 again but all the placeholder spell effects bug me
>>
File: 1483243566937.gif (2MB, 324x267px) Image search: [Google]
1483243566937.gif
2MB, 324x267px
>>382419025
Infinity engine games are not the only games that exist of merit from the CRPG era. I love em don't get me wrong. But I'd rather have Divinity Original Sin then Beamdog butchering BG1 with its "sequel" that goes between it and BG2.
>>
>>382419031
>Play Staglands for the 1st time
>encounter a wolf... nay.. a fox..nay...a squirrel - yes: a squirrel and it kills my entire, unarmed party because there are no weapons anywhere to be found.
Fuck this game
>>
>>382419090

Not sure how different Pathfinder is from BG, Nwn and stuff like that, but there's a game being kikestarted right now, don't remember the exact name of it though.
>>
>>382419330
Maybe that was an evil squirrel. No, seriously, you can find some shit weapons in the tutorial.

On a side note, I played like 2 hours until I went to a village and some random kid stole my money. I couldn't figure how to find him, so I gave up.

It's a nice game but it needs some dedication and I'm not 16yo anymore
>>
>>382417689
Tyranny has more roleplaying than PoE though. Also it has the best magic system of in CRPG to date. It's only flaw I could think of was the lackluster enemy variation.

>says Tyranny's writing is bad
>recommends Underrail
lol
>>
>>382419583
i remember getting an email from obsidian saying they just released a game called pathfinder, and it ends up being some fucking card game
>>
File: sarkeesmo.gif (2MB, 680x382px) Image search: [Google]
sarkeesmo.gif
2MB, 680x382px
Is The Age of Decadence worth checking out?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/230070/The_Age_of_Decadence/
>>
>>382419797
I detest modern card games,
the game i mentioned is called Pathfinder: Kingmaker, its still being funded.
>>
>>382419797
No, it's the game from Avellone and some slavs. Patfinder Kingmaker or something like this. The art is trash but I like what I read in the kikestarter updates
>>
>>382419982
Yeah, the game is ugly and desolated, similar to NWN, but it's great, with a lot of role-playing and exceptional combat.
>>
>>382419982
It's what I've personally always wanted in a CRPG. No boring filler dungeons, no middle arc that makes you inevitably drop the game after investing 30 hours, it's smaller scale and got ridiculous levels of detail. Its mission statement seemed to be to reduce the scale of an RPG until a world could be handcrafted in such a way that it actually feels like a fully reactive simulation.
I hardly ever finish RPGs, but I've finished AoD like 4 times.
>>
>>382419982
There is a demo version. Why not try it first? Overall I'd say yes, but beware it's a very niche game.
>>
Are there games similar to Gothic or Witcher 3 that have a character creator and not a pre-defined character?
>>
>>382419792
>tyranny
>best magic system
You're a fucking retard. Tyranny is a shit game. The writing is god fucking awful. On look at Kills-in-Shadows dialogue and backstory is enough to confirm this.
On top of that the two factions are complete shit and retarded so you end up doing solo then by the time the shit story starts to pick it the game fucking ends.
Using edicts felt like shit compared to the hype they built up around them.
Magic is the only viable option with volcanic, or whatever the fuck it was called, being king along with some other Gravelight skill.
Divinity OS was a much better game that Tyranny. Tyranny belongs in the fucking trash.
>>
>>382420436
s-skyrim?
>>
>>382420638
Skyrim does not have the following:
>voiced Main Character
>3rd person perspective as default
>A story worth giving a shit about
>Action-oriented combat with huge emphasis on personal skill rather than ingame skillpoints.
>>
>>382419982

It's a glorified visual novel

but unlike other glorified visual novels like the shadowrun games, they managed to include actual routes
>>
>>382420764
Neverwinter Nights 2?
>>
>>382419982
It's fucking trash
>>
>>382421579
voiced Main Character = nope
3rd person perspective as default =
A story worth giving a shit about =
Action-oriented combat with huge emphasis on personal skill rather than ingame skillpoints = nope
summary = trolling?
>>
>>382420436
Risen 1 but you probably already played it
>>
>>382420436
>>382423145

>and not a pre-defined character?

oh that, didnt notice
>>
>>382422370
Main character is not voiced in dialogue.
Cant remember if he has voiclines during combat like in IE games.
The perspective is not 3rd person as default its more along the lines of slightly more grounded isometric.
Also the combat is more similar to BG its not skill based.
I think you are confusing NWN2 for NW online.
As far as the story goes its not complete shit in the base game its passable but the Mask of the betrayer expansion is so incredibly good that's its worth it.
>>
>>382420436
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
>>
File: 1455193379614.png (51KB, 273x184px) Image search: [Google]
1455193379614.png
51KB, 273x184px
>>382418739
I want to play it but that fucking pixel shit makes everything incomprehensible to the point that I'll pass. 2D graphics are just fine but that's just ridiculous.
>>
There's an isometric CRPG set to the Pathfinder universe on Kickstarter that recently got funded. Now I know absolutely nothing about Pathfinder but hey, every CRPG they make is a good thing. Anybody know anything about it? Does Pathfinder fit well as background for vidya?
>>
>>382424395
It's like D&D but dumber
so no, it's a terrible system for CRPG's just like D&D
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.