[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will RTS games ever be popular again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: rip.jpg (72KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
rip.jpg
72KB, 768x432px
Will RTS games ever be popular again?
>>
No, Koreans and E-Sports fags ruined them forever.
>>
no those games fuckin suck
>>
>>382402330
Oh, OK
:(
>>
Unlikely. RTS was always a niche genre, and the hardcore crowd that keep crying about "no new RTS games are being made!" are incredibly dismissive of new ideas, wanting everything to fall into a Starcraft-esque format, despite SC2's failing numbers in both players and game viewership. So trying to innovate in order to have broader audience appeal to combat churn in the genre doesn't work.

Yet on the flipside, RTS games that use a traditional formula are still rejected by oldschool RTS fans. (See games like Grey Goo.) These games also fail to attract new players.

So you've got oldschool players whining that nobody makes RTS games like they used to, and when they do they don't buy them; and RTS games don't interest the casual audience. So no, RTS games are dead. Even good ones that have come out in recent years like Deserts of Kharak tend to fall flat. It's a dead genre that inspires no confidence from studios or publishers. The best you could ever hope for is indy devs making a passion project, but we've seen kickstarter RTS games fail before. (Human Resources.)
>>
RTS games have the sharpest skill edge of all games, meaning that new players have absolutely no choice but to take it in the ass for months until they start figuring the game out. Modern players just won't commit to this sort of shit when you can pick some meme Moba and blame your friends for all failures
>>
>>382402720
>>(Human Resources.)
Uber made a game before that called Planetary Annihilation that had you jumping from planet to planet in a solar system wide war, complete with giant death star planets, crashing moons into other planets, orbital guns, and titan weapons.

To bad it sucked :(
>>
File: 1497716608877.jpg (33KB, 720x706px) Image search: [Google]
1497716608877.jpg
33KB, 720x706px
>>382403190
I'm still mad about PA
>>
>>382403580
So am I.
>>
no, mobas raped it with ease that's why warcraft 4 doesn't exist, they know it won't sell
>>
>>382403190
>>382403580
>>382404674
>RTS game comes out
>It delivers on it's promises
>it's good
>"WAHHH _____ SUCKS"
>"WTF WHY RTS DEAD NOW?!"

/v/ isn't a gaming board
>>
>>382404873
Even fucking IGN gave it a 4.8 out of 10. It sucked that badly.
>>
>>382403190
>>382403580
>>382404674
then they made titans a separate game instead of just adding them to the base game
>>
>>382405024
>:(
>>
Total War: Warhammer was a best seller if you count that.
>>
>aoe2 HD
>aoe HD

Not saying these are bad. But if you bought this and not supporting newer shit like Grey Goo and all that then you're part of the problem.
>>
>>382401894
>some hellbats and marines vs prisms immortals and collossus
terran gets fucked again
>>
They're too fast for most people, slower strategy games like total war are still popular
>>
File: herolineup.jpg (236KB, 1131x693px) Image search: [Google]
herolineup.jpg
236KB, 1131x693px
>>382401894

Warcraft IIII will save the RTS genre.
>>
>>382406234
>Grey Goo
that was nifty but the goo were too... unique I think
>>
leave Dawn of war to me
>>
>>382406514
>IIII
>>
File: bueno.jpg (217KB, 617x640px) Image search: [Google]
bueno.jpg
217KB, 617x640px
>>382406958
pls end this meme at once!! saying IIII is just as correct as IV.
>>
>>382408015
>IIII
>>
>>382406514
they'll have to retcon 90% of what happened in WoW
>>
>>382408015
only on chronometers
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.