[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a new controller, should I buy the latest DS4 or one of these?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: steam controller.jpg (40KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
steam controller.jpg
40KB, 600x337px
I need a new controller, should I buy the latest DS4 or one of these?
>>
>>382351039
Depends.
If you need gyro controls, get DS4.
If you don't, get DS3.
>>
The current Xbox One controller is the right choice.
>>
Dual shock controllers are shit. Get a Bluetooth xbone controller.
>>
>>382351039
Just buy Xbone controller and get xpadder for keymapping.
>>
>>382351039
Don't fall for the steam controller meme, you're gonna regret it.
>>
>>382353386
this

I bought steam controller during release and I have used it on one game so far
xbox controller is solid choice
>>
>>382351039
the Steam controller fills a niche and isn't really for general gaming, so unless you plan on playing some Civ 5 on your telly, a dualshock or bone will work better
>>
I have been contemplating getting one too OP but just realize everytime I am close to buying that the xbone controller does the job. Don't buy a DS4 though because I've had two and they both were built like shit.
>>
File: gamepads.jpg (147KB, 564x1521px) Image search: [Google]
gamepads.jpg
147KB, 564x1521px
steam controller is "I mean, if you wanna TRY it" tier
it is terrible at conventional control
>>
If you treat it as a wireless mouse/trackpad with buttons it'll do the job for shit non gaming related, like if you wanna use it as some kind of media controller or play web based games or weird shit like that you can set it up so it will work on the desktop which other controllers won't do

If you want to actually play games designed to be played on controllers it's pretty bad and clunky and you'll wish you just bought a normal one, it would be 20 times better if it had 2 thumbsticks honestly
>>
steam controller is basically a kb&m substitute for couch gaming, it sort of emulates mouse movement and makes 4x games and the sorts playable without having to use a actual kb&m
>>
>>382351039
steam controller is only good for controlling your PC like a mouse + keyboard

it's shitty as a controller desu
>>
Steam controller is great for playing anything that doesn't work well on a normal controller.

Like you can play wow, dwarf fortress, nethack etc. on a steam controller really easily.
>>
>>382353967
It's actually my current DS4 that is dying, the cable is shit and emulating/mapping them for PC is pretty clunky. Shame since they feel the most comfortable for me.

Guess I'll go with the thread and pick up an Xbone pad instead.
>>
>>382356325
>>382353967
Get a DS4 and use the steam controller mapping system on it you doofuses, it's the best PC controller option for a lot of games.

Steam Controller is the best for anything not console first though.
>>
>>382351039
Is this even a choice? The DS4 is still superior to any other controller atm

Been using 1 for 1 year + and it's been smooth sailing
>>
>>382351039
Steam controller is amazing. This is only aparent when you learn to customize.
>>
>>382351039

you completely neglegted to inform on what your use case is. And now the Steam Controller thread goes to shit, like usual, because of it.

If you just wanna pay console controller games, get a console controller. DS4, and use Big Picture to map it to xinput for example.

If you want to sit back, or in a sofa or on bed, and play anything, including all kinds of PC games, the SC is awesome.
Also the gyro is cool for racing games
>>
File: PErXcjJ.png (122KB, 374x399px) Image search: [Google]
PErXcjJ.png
122KB, 374x399px
>>382357342
Steam controller can do shit like adding touch driven menus to games so you can map dozens upon dozens of functions to it allowing you to play stuff that's clearly designed for a keyboard without too much issue.
>>
>>382357283
DS4 is probably the worst controller out there 2bh would rather have a DS3/Bone/360/Wiiupro/Steam over it
>>
Buy a gaming chair, gaming headphones a gaming mouse and some gaming socks instead
>>
Did the new mouse joystick customization for the Steam Controller help?
The one thing I could never get used to emulating with a Steam Controller is third person stick camera, it just never felt right.
>>
steam controller is a really good piece of hardware but the software is near unusable
saved changes are often discarded for no reason unless you map everything from default every single time, everything is based on sliders instead of decimal inputs, you can only configure through big picture mode or a windowed version of it which both eat resources like crazy if you're trying to use it on an old ass laptop
it's a mess, games usually take me an extra two hours of figuring out how i want to set the controls for them, and trying to get them to actually stick

it would also be better if they'd gone with the original design that didn't have an analog stick, because who the fuck needs two sets of analog input on the left side of a controller?
using the stick as a d-pad is a pain because of accidentally registering other directions when not inputting perfectly
>>
>>382357670
It's good at replicating a keyboard and mouse, but it's shit as a controller.
>>
>>382358006
>The one thing I could never get used to emulating with a Steam Controller is third person stick camera, it just never felt right.
have you tried using trackball mode for that?
it feels very natural to use flicks to give momentum to the camera
>>
I have the Xbox (360) one with the usb dongle.
It's great because there are so many Xbox controllers out there super cheap that no one uses.
I actually can get three of them for free right now, not that I need them.
>>
>>382358362

been a while since I used it. I think I had issues with trackball, because third person console game cameras tend to snap back when you're moving
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.