[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crash Bandicoot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 3

File: 33333333333.jpg (39KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
33333333333.jpg
39KB, 480x360px
Why is Crash 1 so much harder than 2 or 3?
Crash after the first game feels like a joke
>>
They actually tried to make a good game with 2 with proper level design instead of a tech demo
>>
>>382329616
because older games are actually quite light on content, so they made them hard forcing you to constantly retry.
>>
They smoothed out the difficulty for a wider audience.
>>
did you know that the US versions of crash games are easier than PAL versions? Like the timings of moving platforms and shit is more generous and slower in the US version among other minor tweaks.
>>
>>382330571
Wouldnt the US version be made first?
Was it made harder on purpose for europeans?
>>
>>382332076
yes the differences are intentional, other one is that in the US version the ''no death'' platforms stay even if you die in the ''no death'' sections, while in the EU version if you die in the ''no death'' section, the platform goes away
>>
>>382329616

Watch the E3 panel with the original crash team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqjkAXCgx7M

They actually didn't know what the fuck they were doing and the game ended up being way to hard.
>>
>>382332305
Thats so strange, the game is already painful hard at times enough as it is.
>>
>>382329616
>he thinks games must be hard to be considered good

I love neo-/v/
>>
>>382329616
Crash 3 is the best and time trials are what make the game
>>
>>382332495
This. Fuck this mentality so goddamn much.
>>
>>382332339
Thats really interesting thanks for the video
>>
Not trying to humble brag but I would 100% crash for fun when I was 12 before I even had internet. Besides a few hidden boxes, I don't remember having any trouble. I didn't have trouble with 2 either but I hated the racing in 3 so I never finished it. ARe numale gamers shit at vidya?
>>
>>382332495
>>382332597
sorry but crash 2 and 3 are way too easy, a game doesn't have to be some dark souls meme but cmon
>>
>>382332394
can confirm, it was a fucking nightmare
>>
>>382332495
Who said this?
>>
The save system made it annoying, and the camera angle in the first one made the depth perception of some jumps really hard to tell where you are going to land.
>>
>>382329616
Crash 2 can be pretty hard to 100% for someone going blind.

>How you're supposed to know that to get the blue gem, you must finish the first level without breaking any boxes
>How you're supposed to know that to get the red gem on level 2, you must get on an obscure platform on... level 7, that will take you to a secret level that's actually a secret part of level 2, and when you get to the end of that, THEN you get the gem.
>Knowing how to access the secret levels
>Knowing how to access skull routes, and how they work
>The extremely counter intuitive way to get the clear gem on Cold Hard Crash and Piston it Away

The game really doesn't hold your hand and there's no indication about how to do any of these things.
>>
>>382329616
2 is the perfect challenge if you go for 100% completion while 3 is kinda in between where the time trials can be a decent addition to the game or make it worse depending on what kind of relic you're going for.
>>
>>382332641
Crash 1 wasn't an easy game but it was not that goddamned hard. I beat it when I was 10.

Games journalists are all just numale english majors who pretend to but don't actually play video games.
>>
>>382329616
Of course it was. It was the Dark Souls of video games.
>>
>>382332915
>Knowing how to access the secret levels

Honestly those are pretty obvious and fun to find in crash 2, like the ice platforms at the end of the bear level, or the fake nitro piled up.

the "don't break any crates" thing is fucked up tho, but we live in a time where no secret is left hidden thanks to the internet so it's not really a problem anymore.
>>
Rushed development and shitty controls that were fixed in the sequels.
>>
Have any reviewers talked about their PTSD over seeing Coco suffer slapstick death animations yet?
>>
>>382333334

Back then you just bought the tips monthly video game mag that had the secrets revealed. That's how I did it without internet. I still have old game players, game pro, tips and tricks and expert gamer mags with good guides.
>>
>>382332915
>>382333334
I do miss the days of going to school and talking about games with your buddies and shareing all the secrets you've found.

Of course theres always that one faggot who never told anybody anything but nobody liked him anyways.

Thats right Billy i'm talking about you. And yes everyone does make fun of your name.
>>
>>382332915
I did all that without guides back in the day and I'm only of average intelligence. Are people just less intelligent these days?
>>
>>382332339
>mario mario mario mario mario

Hahahah oh wow they are still so fucking salty 20 years later
>>
>>382333612
it's called sharing
>>
>>382332339

The bit about level design is at 21:45
>>
>>382333207
this
>>
>>382333698

nintendo bias isn't something new.
>>
>>382333664
>I did all that without guides back in the day

Of course, a cousin told you how to do it.
>>
>>382333282
no it is roguelite of mario games
>>
>>382332339
honestly a great insight into the creation, definately my highlight of e3 as far as panels go
>>
>>382333921
I was the only one in the family that really played video games.
>>
>>382333698
Well, Nintendo DID revolutionize the 3d platforming back in the day with mario 64 which came like 3 months before Crash 1
>>
>>382333334
>Honestly those are pretty obvious and fun to find in crash 2

It's only obvious on hindsight, but for people that didn't even know that secret levels existed...
>>
>>382333664

I don't believe you 100% crash with put help unless you truly went autismo on it. The platforming was easy but the secrets were hard
>>
Am I the only that's actually a little bothered with the Hints on the Loading screen?
>>
>>382329616
Crash 2 is the best mixture of challenge reward and variety. Its hard enough but rewards you for good decision making and mastery.
Crash 3 is too fucking easy mostly because they throw lives at you like they're candy. There are easily like 4-5 lives per level or even more i could be wrong on that few

Crash 1 is the hardest because its got
1. less lives
2. harder levels because its all platforming and so it focuses around that
3. Slippery Slopes and Lights Out etc.

Crash 1 is the hardest but worst Crash because its challenge is solid but not as good as 2s overall and Crash 3 has more variety and polish.
>>
>>382333482
>Coco's electrocution animation confirms she does not wear a bra
>>
>>382334163
Crash 1 is the one that has lives absolutely everywhere anon
>>
>>382333785
Hi Billy
>>
>>382334018

yeah, I love how they explained that everything in crash was made with the hardware limitation in mind.

It's a miracle that it ended up being actually good.
>>
>>382334021
Your schoolmates told you, then. You're gonna tell me that you were homeschooled, faggot?
>>
Anyone got a list of the Time Trials for Crash 1?
>>
>>382329685
This

Crash 1 was a tech demp
Crash 3 was just gimmicks

Crash 2 was the only truly good game

Why do people like this 'series' again? Just play 2
>>
File: ddddddsd.png (30KB, 312x244px) Image search: [Google]
ddddddsd.png
30KB, 312x244px
>>382334308
I wish I was but I'm not, he's the coolest
>>
>>382334080
Crash 2 and 3, not 1.

>>382334353
Nah I went to school, and maybe? It's been a long time since then.
>>
>>382333482
>mfw they DID make a frog kiss "death" for her.

Cue the "it is literally rape" crowd.
>>
>>382333664
No one will play a level over and over this days to find this stuff. Back in the day you played one game so much that you were bound to unlock its secrets eventually.
>>
>nearly perfect
>...but you died

fuck Toxic Waste
>>
>>382334573
That's true. Imagine people trying to find the Top Secret Place in Super Mario World these days? And that's not even that hard to find. That place blew my mind as a kid, I felt so damn special for finding it.
>>
>>382332646
For the age Crash is aimed for, Crash 2 and 3 were a better difficulty, there's a reason they never went back to Crash 1's design.
>>
>>382334932
I mean I agree, I had tremendous trouble with crash 3 when I was seven or so, like just not walking down a random hole was hard

but I recently played these again and they just aren't hard at all for an average adult who's not very good at video games

many platinum time trials in 3 are still hard as fuck though
>>
>>382334932
Crash 3 is literally babby tier dificulty, partly because the gimmick levels, the platforming levels have far less pitfalls, and the power-ups are rarely applied to make new challenges, they just basic platforming easier.

Crash 2 is perfect difficultly outside the bullshit firefly levels and some secret bullshit.
>>
>>382334932
I have never seen a casual or a little kid get far on any Crash game. They were always content on playing the first few levels over and over again.

Only those that played a lot and took their time to get the hang of the game went past the beginning to 100%, it wasn't something that could be learned on an afternoon. That was always Crash's trademark, easy to play, hard to master.
>>
>>382335131
Time trials were made for people who were hardcore into the game anyway.

Also some of them weren't all that well designed, literally have to be perfect in the bike levels for platinum relics when there's shit that isn't in your control in your way, like the other racers.

Waterbike's RNG as fuck water going up and down doesn't help those trials and the pyramid levels having their retarded opening and closing doors that are a dice roll what they're doing by the time you reach them.

High level time trial runs weren't made for kids, at least kids that wanted to pick up and put down the game, was designed to be something you would keep coming back to do in your game to get better at it.

>>382335467
I'd argue that was only done so they could design levels around time trials, which honestly are much harder then anything in Crash 2 if you're going for plats or whatever.
>>
>>382333698
>get asked to talk about developing your game
>a game that got panned for no reason other than "it's not mario lol"
>mention that you got compared to mario a lot
>hahaha wow they're so salty XD
>>
>>382335594
They bring up mario like 5 times for no reason anon, they are so mad.
>>
>>382335561
yeah, the time trials easily make it the best crash game though
>>
my friend beat crash 1 in like 1st or 2nd grade
>>
>>382335561
>literally have to be perfect in the bike levels for platinum relics when there's shit that isn't in your control in your way, like the other racers.

actually when I was a kid I figured a little cheat, just wait at the starting line for a minute or so, so the enemy racers finish, then start the time trial without any annoying enemy racers
>>
>>382335678
I'm watching it right now and they bring it up
You're sounding like a drone
>>
>>382332076

Yes, burgers are retarded nintenbros that can't into difficulty
>>
Are the games fun or will I be over them in a few hours if I buy this trilogy? I kinda feel like playing a platformer.
>>
>>382335820
The japanese versions are also made easier

I'd argue it's not about skill but just how much challenge you want from a game, american triple As are after all more like movies than games
>>
>>382335817
You are the drone here having to reply to me in the first place. I just though it was funny is all, calm down.
>>
>>382335685
They are fun to do, but honestly, with how many times I had to replay levels for plat times I ended up getting burnt out by Crash 3 at the end.

That's on top of the poorly designed shit I pointed out like waterbikes water and bike levels.

It kind of makes Crash 3 not a game I can pick up and play when I'm bored, which Crash 1 and 2 I could say I'd be willing to do so, but something I'd play years later when I'm in the mood.

>>382335802
That is what I did, but the fact you have to wait is stupid, they should just instantly leave when you start the time trial, so they don't get in the way and fuck you over.
>>
File: 12213123131312321.jpg (51KB, 316x263px) Image search: [Google]
12213123131312321.jpg
51KB, 316x263px
>>382329731
They weren't 'trying' to make it harder. People weren't complaining about limited content back then. Just because your generation thinks you should get X amount of hours (quality completely disregarded of course) for X amount of dollars, doesn't mean that's how it has always been.

The original Crash was harder because 3D platformers wasn't a perfected genre. They were still experimenting to find the thresholds, to see what they could do with their game without it becoming un-fun. Not only that, but the game was designed to be played on a D-pad. You grew up with analogue input and probably think it's been around since the Jesus days. It hasn't. Jesus played on D-pads just like the rest of us had to.
>>
>>382335963
Sure, whatever retard.
>>
>>382335538
did you grow up amongst the mentally retarded?
>>
>>382336002
I don't really know how the jet ski level waves affect anything
>>
>>382329616
>crash
>hard
Dude, I could beat that shit when I was like 5. Get good.
>>
>>382336002
I hated waterbikes and any kind of vehicle level (even riding animals) since a kid.
Just let me play my platform you idiots.
>>
>>382336243
though I'll add that those levels were boring dog
shit
>>
>>382336298
It wasn't so much that it was too hard, it was that their whole system was extremely unforgiving which made it frustrating when you were learning the game. Mainly the shitty save system.
>>
>>382336315
I love the tiger levels
>>
>>382336243
>>382336332
By moving up and down, they fuck up how high or low your jumps off ramps go, which means you can miss out on time boxes to stop the timer.

When you're in the level the water moves at all times, even if you reset, the only way to get the water back to how it original is would be to leave the level and come back in, which fucking sucks, since you have to deal with more then one load screen.
>>
>>382336113
To this day I still just use dpad, analog just feels way too inaccurate to me, makes me feel like I was struggling with moving it
dpad just press the button and it works
>>
>>382336517
>since you have to deal with more then one load screen.
even more so in the remake

though I never noticed that the waves affected jumps in any way
>>
>>382336517
how the fuck did they manage to get water simulation working on the PSX?
>>
>>382336742
From what I understand, Naughty Dog pulled a lot of borderline miracles with the original trilogy.
>>
>>382336883
they did, game runs at higher resolution than most PS1 games, many levels support proper texture mapping, so the textures aren't distorted like in most PS1 games
>>
>>382336973
I mean many level have proper texture mapping, even though the PS1 hardware doesn't natively support that shit, they do it in software
>>
>>382336663
Yeah it does, I'm sure you noticed points where you played the levels casually where you did little hops off the waves, because that happens.

Its just frustrating when you mess up and its not your fault, which is why I stand by it being one of the worst time trials.

>>382336742
I believe Crash 3 had like 4 different engines, just for all the gameplay styles.
>>
>>382337069
The water and bike relics seemed a lot more forgiving than the other ones to me. I distinctly remember getting a platinum on at least one of them even with major fuck-ups which never happened on any normal level.
>>
>>382337220
same here, I fucking hated those levels but they weren't hard at all, just boring as fuck
>>
>>382332339
The drama in the comment section is more interesting than the video.
>>
>>382338784
About David Siller I mean
>>
>>382336423
This.
>tfw breaking the entire level's timing by going way too fast
>>
>mfw I played the 3 Crash games when younger but never found any secret whatsoever.

I guess I have to revisit them.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.