[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which will be the next video game genre to die, do you think?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: shmups-1011.png (80KB, 500x245px) Image search: [Google]
shmups-1011.png
80KB, 500x245px
Which will be the next video game genre to die, do you think?

I would have to guess is Horror games, VR was the last hope for something fresh and that shit tanked.
>>
Horror games already "died" after 2000 when publishers suddenly decided that the genre wasn't popular and so stopped making them. If anything, it is far more likely to stay alive now that people know there is still an audience for them.

MMOs are going to die, assuming they haven't already, simply because they just can't stop copying WOW. MOBAs are likely next on the chopping block, just because the Overwatch/Paladins/several others are attracting more players' attention and because no MOBAs past League and DotA have ever survived.
>>
>>382322776

>RE7, a AAA-budget horror game just came out and was well-received
>Horror is dying next

Stop posting anytime
>>
>>382323305
I never played moba's. Do I have a mistaken impression that they are essentially endgame mmorpg's minus the rpg plus rts lineage?
>>
>>382323370

SPBP
>>
>>382323589
Kind of. They're sort of like MMO PvP, but with the "levels" just being in-game progress and getting reset back to Lv.1 each match. So there is no grinding for gear and levels, and everyone starts on roughly equal footing at the beginning.
>>
>>382323370
>Go from +10 franchises to 1 game every 3 years which fails to beat its predecessors in sales

IYO is the Rogue genre alive?
>>
>>382323969

There's no way horror will die before shit like rhythm and fighting games do. And even then, I doubt genres will ever die for real from now on - They will die for a while and then get resurrected. It's what happened to FGs
>>
>>382324118
>fighting games
>resurrected

When did this happen?
>>
>>382324849

SF4
>>
Since shmups aren't truly dead just in a position that they can't grow in the same scale as other genres and just stayed small.
>>
horror games have been on the rise since the boom of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and it's subsequent clones like Outlast
The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>382325232
>>382325214

This. Both genres just don't makes always sense on the large scale that is the AAA market. We also get a new Ace Combat and got a fairly big pile of shit that is Star Fox Zero.
>>
I don't think any genre can really die, since there's always a niche market for them (except for maybe point and click adventures but even I'm not so sure since there were those recent kings quest games)
>>
>>382325973
Space sims had a long death after Freespace bombed in sales. Thankfully they seem to be on the upturn these days.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.