[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to learn Japanese by playing video games in Japanese?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: auto-gExMQK.jpg (18KB, 500x418px) Image search: [Google]
auto-gExMQK.jpg
18KB, 500x418px
Is it possible to learn Japanese by playing video games in Japanese?
>>
>>382308357
Highly unlikely.
Try playing pokemon games in Japanese. Those things are all in hiragana and see if you can read those without any prior knowledge.
>>
>>382308910
Fucked up right there I meant understand. You'd be better off reading a Japanese grammar book than playing Japanese games blind.
>>
>>382308357
Learning japanese is question of whether you can learn kanji or not. Learning kanji is realistically only possible when you are teenager, over 10 years in school.
>>
I found a Naruto gba game on the bus when I was like 10. I'm pretty sure I beat it after trial and error not knowing a lick of Japanese or knowing what the series was about. None of the language stuck with me because I didn't understand the basics of the language.
>>
>>382309039
No.
>>
>>382309187
your shitty opinion is irrelevant, manchild
>>
>>382308910
>Those things are all in hiragana
WHAT?

How the fuck does anyone read hiragana only text? My fucking eyes hurt from the first few chapters of the genki workbook
>>
>>382308357
No.
>>
>>382309310
Eh you'll get used to it.
>>
>>382309297
No.
>>
>>382308357
I want to...
>>
>>382308357
There are no shortcuts to learning a language, games and whatever can be a nice side to aid study, but you still need to do the yards and actually work hard for a long period of time.
>>
>>382308357
That's what me a bunch of other people did to learn languages.
I did learn japanese grammar from books and stuff, ultimately got to where I did through video games.
>>
>>382308357

I learnt english through playing world of warcraft. Understood absolutely nothing at first and basically either explored using walljumping or ran deadmines as a level 31 hunter for most of vanilla. After a couple of years of trying to read and understand quest text I had a better grasp on the english language than anyone I went to school with and I just kept going from there. I wouldn't be surprised if the same was possible with japanese too, but you will need to actually know the basics and put in a huge amount of time into it.

tl;dr It is probably doable if you know the basics, but it will take a very long time.
>>
>>382308357

I know a lot of people that learned english by playing english games, but I don't think it works when you have two languages so radically different.

You could probably do it if you spoke Mongolian.
>>
>>382308357
Why would you want to learn Japanese?
>>
>>382313962
So I can translate doujins and obscure manga.
>>
>>382308357
>Is it possible to learn Japanese by playing video games in Japanese?
Not really viable, only play games if you're already advanced or it will suck big time and you barely learn anything considering the amount of time you'll be using.
>>
>>382315234
Pretty much this, I've been studying japanese for 1 year now and when I tried playing games still as a beginner and it just felt horrible, only now that I only find a handful of words I don't know that I'm able to properly enjoy and learn with them.
At lower levels I found manga easier than games since they have kanji and furigana, giving you twice the chances of getting the word right.
>>
>>382308357
No but you can by watching anime
>>
>>382309039
You can literally learn core 2k in a year if you're dedicated. Fuck off and stop spewing shit from your mouth when you know nothing about anything.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.