[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will RTS games ever regain prominence?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: rip.jpg (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
rip.jpg
2MB, 1600x900px
Will RTS games ever regain prominence?
>>
>>382293705
I enjoy Post-RTS games more.
>>
probably not, but it's not something you should care about. play the games or don't

>mfw I just stomped the fuck out of some okw faggots
>>
>>382293997
Like what?

>>382294085
Yeah, still discouraging when so few are active at all anymore.
>>
>>382293705
That's too small a force to take on those protoss.
>>
why is it discouraging? go play the game you like. it still exists
>>
>>382293705
When they let you create programmable macros so developers could actually create systems that highly encourages you to develop complex strategies and tactics.

when 90% of your activities can be done by automatons, your gameplay have problem.
>>
It's something that can only really effectively be done on PC, and it also seemingly requires a decent budget to create. I think these two things are starving the genre
>>
RTS games died when the technology to represent what was happening bypassed the metaphor they operated on. The better the graphics, the better the depiction of what is going on has to be. Mashing RTS blobs together is fun in 2D and early 3D, but as detail got better it became less rewarding.
>>
MOBAs took the place of RTS.
Fuck MOBAs.
>>
What have you all been playing besides RTS games these days?
>>
B R O O D W A R
I S
B A C K
>>
>>382294831
Total War
Men of War
Wargame
>>
>>382293705
No.
>>
>>382294831
There was a semi-decent eroge from December that was decent enough. Futaring is its name. Turn-based like Shining Force (I never remember if that's called tactics or strategy). You should be able to guess what fetish it features so keep that in mind if you don't like that stuff.
>>
Maybe if somebody finds a way to create an RTS game that doesn't marginalize player interactivity.
>>
I really wish there was a good VR RTS game. They always try to add some stupid gimmicks. I just want to look down at a battlefield and watch shit blow up.
>>
>>382293705
They need a change in pace or something , people don't enjoy matches that can last two hours
>>
>>382293705
Nah, they're kind of a left over relic from the early days of PC gaming. There'll be the odd title here and there but...

>All the click spam apm fags moved to mobas
>All the strategy fags moved to 4x and Grand strategy
>The base building fags are on City/colony builders now

sometimes I try to relive the magic with the odd round of CoH, generals or total annihilation but unfortunately rts is ded.
>>
>>382294526
Pixel indie rts when
>>
File: 1397950426987.jpg (132KB, 1600x869px) Image search: [Google]
1397950426987.jpg
132KB, 1600x869px
I play RTSs, but only SP campaigns and the occasional skirmish. I have zero interest in multiplayer.
>>
>>382293705
RTS is a shit genre that deserved to die, it has no business in the same timeline where RTT games exist. Games like Sudden Strike, DoW2 and Total War games > any RTS garbage.
>>
>>382298660
Then your not playing them for real.
>>
>>382298660
Online multi against randos I completely understand.
But I've had some of my best RTS memories playing LAN Supreme Commander games with my roommate.
>>
Is there any game RTS-esque with many races that puts the humaity not in a pedestal, but in high posibilities of extinction? i've been looking for a game like that but i can't remeber its name
>>
The problem is RTS is a genre that stuck in the middle of two major playerbases.

Casuals can't get into RTS, sans the basebuilding micromanagement, they generally like to turtle up and have fun spamming units and sending waves of doods at the enemies base while trying to hold off the other guys doods.

Then you got the opposite end of the spectrum, the strategy fans, who have evolved past the rock paper sizzors and weak economic systems of the RTS genre and have moved onto grand strategy and 4X games, if not getting into tabletop wargaming which there is a ton of variety today compared to the past when all you really had was two flavors of warhammer.

The people who are the inbetween, the guys who are too casual for hours long wargames, yet too competitive for lazy fun RTS games play RTS's hyper competitively, they learn which rock beats which sizzor, even if its by .10 seconds of TTK, and will learn all the cheese strategies and how to counter them to the point where they're not playing an RTS as much as they're glitching the RTS's pathfinding and fog of war mechanics more then actaully playing for the strategy elements, and calling it 'skill'
>>
>>382293705
never ever, its mobashit all the way down
>>
>>382294236
>Like what?
ASSFAGGOTS aka MOBAs
at least that's what I think he was insinuating
>>
>>382300012

>DoW 2
>Total War

You must be joking
>>
>>382300012
What do you think an RTS is?
>>
>>382294354
Nobody to play against
>>
>>382300012
Yea man, fuck any actual strategy, i just wanna click a bunch and watch my dudes shoot sum niggas
>>
>>382293705
it's hard to make a rts that's not a clickfest
>>
Do you guys think well get a starcraft 3 anymore
>>
File: 1494039490140.jpg (20KB, 300x229px) Image search: [Google]
1494039490140.jpg
20KB, 300x229px
What's the point in playing them if korean neckbeards will always be better at them?
>>
>>382303095
to have fun
>>
>>382303132

What do you mean
>>
>>382303095
Korean neckbeards only play Starcraft which is shit anyway.
>>
>>382293705
when internet will die
that way you'll never know how good other people are
and you'll be able to come back to being bad and happy in RTS games
>>
>>382303095
koreans only know how to play starcraft

their minds cant handle thinking in a different way for anything else, let alone something with more advanced mechanics
>>
I'm still bitter over generals 2

I'm glad it didn't release rather than releasing as what it became.

I guess I'll play supreme commander for another decade since grey goo was total trash
>>
File: ashesb.jpg (250KB, 1904x1042px) Image search: [Google]
ashesb.jpg
250KB, 1904x1042px
>>382303708
You could try ashes of the singularity

its like a less-strict supcom thats not as good. has some cool new ideas, but nothing that affects the gameplay in a major way.
>>
>>382302259
>are too casual for hours long wargames, yet too competitive for lazy fun RTS games

your casual/competitive dichotomy is off. Beer-and-pretzels wargamers are as casual as it gets.
>>
>>382302259
>weak economic systems of the RTS genre
Supcom economy system exists
>>
>>382303931
Supcom is a great game.

Im talking RTS games in general, which everyone tehse days simply equates to Starcraft, which is the biggest offender of glitchy as fuck RTSs, yet because it was the first real PC game to get ported to korea it got big there and became their national sport.
>>
>>382303095
why live.

>>382302919
what would you consider the required APM of what you consider a clickfest?
>>
File: Battle Realms.jpg (244KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Battle Realms.jpg
244KB, 1024x768px
>>382293705
RTS revival when?
>>382303810
>Every unit is a hovertank.
Who thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>382293705
Age of Empires
Stronghold (even if people will debate it)
Planetary Annihilation is pretty underated
Total War
Steel Division & Wargame
Men of War & Call to Arms
and Dawn of War 3 is okay
>>
>>382303556
I was playing one of the Eugen Wargames and it's always the players with Chinese or Korean names that somehow manage to play the game like it is gookclick. That is they will just play the game in a very specific way that involves extrememe micromanagment and a very narrow tunnel vision focus while abusing cheese in a way westerners wouldn't.
>>
>>382304156
oh and I forgot Cossacks 3
>>
>>382304084
>Who thought this was a good idea?

hey theres planes too
>>
>>382302259
I agree, just like>>382297581 said it was a genre that day in the middle and old rts players have moved to the three other genres.
>>
>>382303313
>>382303095
This. CoH 1 and Total annihilation is where the real rts was at. Generals was good too but trust EA to fuck everything up.
>>
>>382303708
Didn't generals 2 become a browser game or something? Settlers 8 suffered that fate
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.