[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why people abuse game mechanics? I mean why do something in a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 33

File: 1489405330001.jpg (70KB, 554x496px) Image search: [Google]
1489405330001.jpg
70KB, 554x496px
Why people abuse game mechanics?
I mean why do something in a multiplayer game that kills fun for everybody else in the lobby or on the server.
Do certain people just like to be dicks to everybody else?
>>
git gud
>>
why don't the devs just fix abusable mechanics, especially in an online game that's supposed to be receiving support to maintain a playerbase

I'll just go play another game
>>
Because video games aren't meant for fun anymore. Every video game is a chore, a task to be completed that offers rewards. Thus, taking the easiest and quickest path possible is always the correct choice. When it comes to video games, this most often means exploited things unintended by the developers.

Trust me, I'm an expert on this subject. I always look for exploits in every game I play. Pic related.
>>
>>382271652
>>
File: 1302189436529.jpg (81KB, 544x400px) Image search: [Google]
1302189436529.jpg
81KB, 544x400px
>>382270997
>abuse game mechanics
Understanding the mechanics and choosing the most effective method to win isn't abuse. It's literally being good at the game. If you do not like the way good players play the game then you don't actually like the game.
>>
>>382271812
What's so fun about using 1 single weapon or tactic in the game all_the_time without ever considering another option.
Also nobody likes munchkins.
>>
you can't abuse mechanics in a video game

if the game was designed for repetitive use of a mechanic then "abuse" doesn't fit the definition. you want something more derogatory like "cheapening" or "cheating"
>>
>>382272284
That depends entirely on the game. You don't get to dictate how other people get to have fun. To a lot of people winning is the fun part. Expecting people to alter their behavior so you have more fun and they have less fun is not only supremely arrogant, but unrealistic.

If you're not having fun, then fuck off. Don't cry like your tears are going to change anything.
>>
>>382270997
Is this a real question?
>>
>>382272428
see this is the mindset of someone who "cheapens" the experience for everyone else, but he's not abusing mechanics, he's just making the game experience less enjoyable for those around him
>>
>>382272627
git gud noob
>>
>>382272627
If you're relying on or expecting other people to play a game the way you want them to then you are fucking naive. You don't deserve to have a happy little care bear hug box community that bends over backwards for you. Everyone deserves the same treatment. The money you spent to buy the game is the same money everyone else spent. They deserve the same opportunity to enjoy the game playing the way they want to. You don't get to dictate how other people play. Not ever.
>>
>>382270997
When I was a child one of my siblings passed away. While my mom was at the funeral for her own child, someone saw the obituary and broke into her house and stole all her stuff.

Moral of the story: some people really are just selfish degenerated assholes who actually love to ruin other people's lives/fun
>>
File: ok.webm (988KB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
ok.webm
988KB, 720x304px
>>382272685
that's what you say and then I win thirty straight on kara throws and you resort to lagging my game

>>382272785
it doesn't matter to me if I use a mechanic more than others. I like to make sure the opponent is enjoying himself too. Sometimes I'll play with his notion of fair play and other times I'll just do whatever I need to to win. It's entirely up to my discretion. You don't get points for being non-partisan in video game politics. Choosing one side or the other often leads to intimidation tactics.
>>
its not really abuse if its intended

its just some devs intend to have dumbass shit in their games
>>
>>382272956
>I like to make sure the opponent is enjoying himself too
Good for you. Not everyone wants to do that.

>Choosing one side or the other often leads to intimidation tactics.
You say this like it's some unforgivable sin and people who commit this sin should no longer be allowed to play.

Let people play the fucking video game they paid for. If you don't like them, don't play with them. If you can't avoid them then it turns out you don't actually like playing the game because you want to change something fundamental about the game itself.
>>
>>382272284
Winning is fun.
>>
File: chargepartition2.webm (2MB, 576x336px) Image search: [Google]
chargepartition2.webm
2MB, 576x336px
>>382273038
Tribes used to have this mechanic where you could throw a mine and use a disc to instantly kill someone.

People complained up and down about it, but it's really just two button presses; both of which the game allows.

>>382273132
But it is an unforgivable sin. People like you get banned in deathmatch all the time.
>>
>>382270997
If the game allows you to do it then there's nothing wrong with it
Nut up or shut up, homo
>>
>>382272785
Well their style of play forces everyone else to do the same thing.
Often when they get owned they cry about hax or whatever.

Anyway it's not about others it's more about the person doing it.
It's like this player is afraid of challenge and avoids it at all cost.
>>
File: 1481739521349.jpg (69KB, 518x750px) Image search: [Google]
1481739521349.jpg
69KB, 518x750px
Winning is fun.
Any time you ask yourself why someone plays a way they do this is the answer. Exceptions for people who gut themselves for a challenge or just enjoy doing wacky shit.
>>
>>382270997
>kills the fun for everybody else
>everybody else

That's why. They don't give a fuck about you.
>>
File: chargepartition.webm (3MB, 576x336px) Image search: [Google]
chargepartition.webm
3MB, 576x336px
>>382273343
>anonymous has left the partyline (admin kicked)
>>
File: wot.webm (1MB, 768x448px) Image search: [Google]
wot.webm
1MB, 768x448px
>>382273512
>but the next guy clearly does care about you

see what he did there?
>>
File: 1368417815531.jpg (186KB, 1280x724px) Image search: [Google]
1368417815531.jpg
186KB, 1280x724px
>>382273298
>But it is an unforgivable sin. People like you get banned in deathmatch all the time.
Nobody gets banned for playing the game effectively; only cheating. Taking advantage of the most effective strategy is what you are supposed to do if you want to win. Why are you acting like winning is wrong and people who want to win shouldn't play games with you? Are you genuinely fucking retarded?

>>382273410
>Well their style of play forces everyone else to do the same thing.
So what? If you don't like it then talk to the developers who are in charge of this balance. Trying to shame winners into no longer winning is a ridiculous notion.

>It's like this player is afraid of challenge and avoids it at all cost.
People who do this acknowledge the challenge and do everything they can do win. It's actual competition. Actively choosing a less effective means to win is running away from a challenge because it gives you an opportunity to say (after you've lost) "I would have won if I tried harder and did the most effective strategy" when more often than not they lost because they're just bad.

In any case you're all just pissing in the wind. No amount of complaining is going to make people change how they play games. Only the developers can control how people play by forcibly restricting unbalanced tactics. But you should acknowledge that when developers do this in a sloppy way it truly kills a game because all support for the game evaporates. Hardcore players who employ those shitty strategies are the same players who keep the community alive and breathing. Crybaby bitches like you two will quit playing the game soon enough. Developers should never cater the balance for you.
>>
File: wot2.webm (2MB, 768x448px) Image search: [Google]
wot2.webm
2MB, 768x448px
>>382273615
woops broken image

>>382273801
>Nobody gets banned for playing the game effectively;

stopped reading there. the amount of people I've seen kicked/banned from servers for "unfair play" or "abusing mechanics" is way too high for me to even consider the rest of your argument sound
>>
File: karademon.webm (899KB, 768x448px) Image search: [Google]
karademon.webm
899KB, 768x448px
>>
File: 1484193882352.jpg (23KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
1484193882352.jpg
23KB, 540x360px
>>382273895
The amount of people you've seen kicked and banned BY OTHER PLAYERS is probably very high.

The amount of people you've seen kicked or banned BY THE DEVELOPERS is exactly fucking 0. Goose egg.

If the game you're playing gives you allowances to self moderate who you do or do not play with then holy fucking shit why are you even raising hell about this? Looks to me like you've got everything under control and you never have to play with people who beat you.
>>
>>382273801
> Hardcore players
are a minority
>Developers should never cater the balance for you.
except that's what they do lol
>>
File: 1301505824320.png (513KB, 699x697px) Image search: [Google]
1301505824320.png
513KB, 699x697px
>>382274145
>except that's what they do lol
Then why are you crying if you're getting exactly what you want?

Oh that's right. You're still crying because you're not. You're still running into people who do exactly what they need to do to beat you.

Absolutely pathetic.
>>
File: casualfilter4.webm (2MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
casualfilter4.webm
2MB, 720x480px
>>382274013
Developers issue bans all the time.

Are you being serious? There are site wide and game wide patches that disable the use of mechanics all the time, If seen or found using them you can be slapped with a temporary or even permanent ban.

Are you literally confused about EVO2012?
>>
>>382274223
I think you're taking video games too seriously, chill out man, it's not only about winning.
>>
>>382271812
I get your point but this isn't always correct. I like chivalry medieval warfare, but I hate the wierd ballerina shit people do to abuse hitboxes.
>>
>>382274254
>Developers issue bans all the time.
For cheating or exploiting glitches in intentionally harmful ways.

Beating your ass by using a widely accepted meta gets nobody banned. Not by the developers; only crybabies like you with more power than they should be allowed to wield.

>EVO
First of all that's the first time this is even mentioned. Secondly that's different from how games are played normally. To participate in EVO you have to agree to OTHER rules that the EVO community agrees upon. Obviously I'm not talking about people getting banned for ignoring rules they agreed to follow. I'm talking about online play.

>>382274487
>but I hate the wierd ballerina shit people do to abuse hitboxes.
That's the fault of the developers; not the players. The players are just doing what the game is designed to do. If you are dissatisfied with that, you are dissatisfied with the game. The players are just doing what they're supposed to in order to win. Expecting them to do otherwise is nonsense.
>>
File: gouki.webm (2MB, 1446x800px) Image search: [Google]
gouki.webm
2MB, 1446x800px
>>382274625
>DEVELOPERS ONLY ISSUE BANS FOR CHEATING MECHANICS, STOP BEING A FUCKING RETARD

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 called, they want their debating license back. What does your ignorance of game wide events have to do with me? Just because you have no clue about EVO events or anything related to WoW patches, Pokemon patches or even cheap korean MMO bans suddenly makes me irresolute and playing strawman? Purposely mistaking your position? Like what?
>>
File: 1375601904741.png (21KB, 536x719px) Image search: [Google]
1375601904741.png
21KB, 536x719px
>>382274919
So tell me what you're having trouble with. If developers are doing this, then the fact that you're complaining means they haven't banned the people you want to be banned. What does THAT have to do with the people who play? Won't they just get banned soon? What are you complaining about if you're just going to get what you want?

Oh that's right. You're not going to get what you want, because you're crying that you lost. Nobody is cheating. Nobody is exploiting a flaw in the game to beat you. You're just fucking losing because you're not as good. If your only excuse for not being as good is that you wouldn't have as much fun then fucking riddle me this.

Are you having fun with tears streaming down your pathetic face right now? Do all those dirty, vicious cheaters know how much fun you're having by losing so poorly you run to 4chan and kick dirt at for an hour?

You are worthless.
>>
>>382275306
I'm relating to a bi-partisan role which establishes convenience over commodity instead of depending solely on the prospect of other people to dictate your enjoyment.
>>
>>382275376
Irrelevant to every point.
>>
>>382275447
Because you're playing at quagmire and expect me to get muddled up with your nonsense instead of pointing right to visible incidents in the community.

Take CS:GO for example.
>>
>>382271812
>It's literally being good at the game.
I guess gaming "skill" has nothing to do with knowledge, right?
And sodomy is also good, isn't it?
>>
>>382275549
None of those examples change the reality. People will always use the most effective methods they can to win. Whether they get punished for it by other players or the developers is irrelevant to the point. No amount of complaining is going to convince people to change how they play the game because they play it to enjoy it. You have to force them to change. If you can't force them to change it then you are out of luck. The way they play the game is how they will always play it. If you cannot avoid playing with them then how they play is for all intents and purposes PART OF THE GAME. If this truth does not appeal to you then you do not want to play the game. You want to play the idealized version of the game that does not exist. A version where you never lose and always get to have fun.
>>
>>382275768
>I guess gaming "skill" has nothing to do with knowledge, right?
Huh? Please take the time to express yourself more clearly, or take the time to completely read the posts you respond to. It's obvious you failed to do one of these if you think I said knowledge has nothing to do with skill.
>>
File: wolvyinf.webm (3MB, 576x336px) Image search: [Google]
wolvyinf.webm
3MB, 576x336px
>>382275798
People will always complain - correct.
No amount of complaining will force competitors to change their playstyles - correct.
And the validity of these claims is left up to the discretion of those who would cheapen the experience anyway - correct.

Isn't here then, a more reasonable way to adapt to this environment than simply finding your argument on the grounds that everyone will just have to shut the fuck up and go back to their forced fun?
>>
>>382276026
>Isn't here then, a more reasonable way to adapt to this environment than simply finding your argument on the grounds that everyone will just have to shut the fuck up and go back to their forced fun?
Dude. You really need to construct your sentences in a more legible way. This is garbage text. Make a point and support the point. Rephrase this sentence because it can be interpreted in way too many different ways.
>>
>>382275798
There's really nothing great about playing with someone overly competitive even if you win.
He'll make sure to ruin your day one way or another either by abusing game mechanics or even game chat.
>>
>>382270997
you just answered your own question dummy
>>
>>382276197
Dude you're playing at two maybe three argumentative fallacies right now and you're expecting me to relate to your incidence by way of courtesy.
>>
>>382276023
>take the time to completely read the posts you respond to.
Alright.
>>
File: karashoryu.webm (697KB, 768x448px) Image search: [Google]
karashoryu.webm
697KB, 768x448px
>>382276305
>play the way you want
>watch overly competitve people get kicked all the time

win/win somehow
>>
>>382276305
>There's really nothing great about playing with someone overly competitive even if you win.
This is only true if you are not competitive. Of course you're not going to enjoy playing against a competitive person if you're not playing competitively.

>He'll make sure to ruin your day one way or another either by abusing game mechanics or even game chat.
That's an individual thing. There are toxic players around every corner. If you think only the tryhards are toxic it's because everything they say to you irritates you when you're already upset that you lost.
>>
File: casualfilter2.webm (3MB, 480x240px) Image search: [Google]
casualfilter2.webm
3MB, 480x240px
>>
File: 1334371907788.png (5KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1334371907788.png
5KB, 400x400px
>>382276312
I'm expecting you to make your points and support your points. Failure to do so is your problem. Just know you've done absolutely nothing to convince me that players who use the most effective strategies to win should not use those strategies.
>>
>>382270997
>Do certain people just like to be dicks to everybody else?
You ask this on /v/ of all places?
>>
File: casualfilter.webm (3MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
casualfilter.webm
3MB, 720x480px
>>382276582
Are you being serious?

Inference is a method by way of causality. You really can't understand what I'm trying to say after clearly explaining that I'm relating to a bi-partisan role which affords you the luxury of playing the way you want without depending on the other player's definition of fair play?

He's clearly arguing from a systemic fallacy. he's appealing to novelty and appealing to authority in the same sentence. It's wrong "because the devs said so," or it's wrong because "people got kicked for it." That's not sensible. don't be such a doofus
>>
File: 1373848269387.gif (3KB, 205x192px) Image search: [Google]
1373848269387.gif
3KB, 205x192px
>>382276836
I already play the way I want. I don't try to control how other people play. I'm not the one complaining about the game or the people here.
>>
File: usfivphysics.webm (3MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
usfivphysics.webm
3MB, 360x240px
>>
>>382276023
>being this butthurt
>>
File: poison.webm (1MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
poison.webm
1MB, 720x480px
>>382277037
I don't care.

That's not what you were asking me, is it? Stop making arguments you don't care to finish. I don't want nor do I need the excess bullshit.
>>
>>382277204
You must think I'm OP. I'm not.
>>
File: phase4.webm (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
phase4.webm
2MB, 1366x768px
>>
File: 1492818317828.jpg (801KB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
1492818317828.jpg
801KB, 1462x1462px
>>382273298
>posting a third strike webm
>berating others for not playing according to his autistic ruleset and intentionally gimping yourself

hmm guess charge partitioning, makoto's ToD, and hitconfirms into supers are CHEATING

kill yourself.
>>
>>382277217
You don't care to argue the points at all. You just want to sit there and act like I didn't shove this entire thread down your crybaby throat. There's nothing you can do to stop people from tryharding. Bitching about it on 4chan is getting you nowhere. Not only have you changed nothing, but now you're even more asschapped because you weren't welcomed with open arms and a chorus of "yeah man, people who try to win video games are the worst!"

Go ahead and fuck yourself, bleating wimp.
>>
File: LONDON.webm (2MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
LONDON.webm
2MB, 720x480px
>>382277371
>getting this much enjoyment from manufacturing drama
>>
File: sarah.webm (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
sarah.webm
1MB, 1366x768px
>>
File: gambitinf.webm (2MB, 576x336px) Image search: [Google]
gambitinf.webm
2MB, 576x336px
>>
>>382270997
Why'd the devs make an abuseable game mechanic?
>>
>>382277681
Just to piss off OP.
>>
File: ryu.webm (2MB, 576x336px) Image search: [Google]
ryu.webm
2MB, 576x336px
>>
File: combo.webm (2MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
combo.webm
2MB, 720x480px
>>
File: bukkakejin.webm (2MB, 671x456px) Image search: [Google]
bukkakejin.webm
2MB, 671x456px
>>
YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
WAVEDASHING TAKES REAL SKILL
>>
>>382274919
>3 bars for mediocre damage and no setup
Delet this
>>
File: 1467107496860.png (89KB, 632x492px) Image search: [Google]
1467107496860.png
89KB, 632x492px
>>382270997
I use my knowledge of spawn points in RO2 to help gun down the enemy. You don't know how hilarious it is to see a lvl 99 bitch he died twice in 3 seconds because the spawn protection disappears after 2 metres
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.