[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think of The Stanley Parable? Spoilers ahead.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: StanleyParable.jpg (78KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
StanleyParable.jpg
78KB, 500x500px
What do you guys think of The Stanley Parable? Spoilers ahead.
>>
it's the best walking simulator out there
>>
It's great, I really like it. I usually enjoy walking sims, so the gameplay was fine to me.
>>
File: 1354472649053.png (34KB, 391x197px) Image search: [Google]
1354472649053.png
34KB, 391x197px
>>382257035
>>
>>382256928
What's your theories on this whole game. I'm sure you have some.
>>
>>382256928
Pretty good actually. Its a great experience, and a game that has lots of little details and a great narrative.
Its a great example on Video games that could be considered Art.
>>
>>382257235
Whats the point of making theories about a game that is all over the meta all the time?
>>
>>382257853
wtf is a meta and why should I care?
>>
File: jesus.gif (666KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
jesus.gif
666KB, 300x220px
>>382258004
>>
>>382258109
Cool meme now leave my thread.
>>
>>382256928

Easily worth the less than $5 I threw at it. Never would've bought it if this co-worker of mine wouldn't stop going on about it.

>>382257235
Kind of hard for me to form a theory as it's VERY evident it's meant to be interpreted differently for each player. It's like trying to say what the island in "Lost" really is. You could go on forever.
>>
>>382256928
original was good and then the fag just revamped it and sold it
fucking jew
>>
>>382258505
The new version was much more exciting. I also played the old version pretty nice too.
>>
It's fun
>>
>>382258004
A piece of media a references either itself or any part of the medium it's on. Like breaking the fourth wall inside the broom closet or having you play minecraft. These are examples of meta events shown inside The Stanley Parable.
>>
>>382256928
Very interesting game, definitely worth the money.
>>
>>382258694
When do you break a fourth wall in the broom closet? Are we talking then new or old stanley parable.
>>
>>382259284
Yes it could be some term I am a newfag on /v/.
>>
>>382256928
It's alright but very short. I've had about 5 different endings in under an hour. Really not much going on. It was spoiled anyway because I watched the Yogscast play the original version about 6 years ago and it was quite memorable so I knew what was coming
>>
>>382256928
2deep4u bullshit, last time i listen to reddit about buying a game
>>
File: stanley parable.png (317KB, 1010x430px) Image search: [Google]
stanley parable.png
317KB, 1010x430px
>>382256928
>>
>>382261105
So true. It is a hillarious game but also the second one is true.
>>
>first ending I stumbled upon was the developers gallery
oops
>>
>>382261356
What I meant is that I expected there to be a story. The Narrator seemed like an omniscient entity that the game was going to be about overthrowing, since you could disobey him. It turned out to be a walking sim that sends you back to the start every time you get an ending while constantly mocking you for playing the game and thinking it's super clever about the roles of game developer and player, and how the latter's freedom almost always is under the control of the former.
i.e. just like >>382260942 said, a very "reddit" "game" for people who like to feel smart without thinking too much. Absolute trash.
>>
>>382262781
It's not to make you feel smart though. You are just being edge
>>
>>382256928
Amazing experience. There was 1 part that blew my mind and I won't talk about it here in chance someone is going to play it still.
>>
>>382263237
Is it the part where you end up in the desert fighting aliens?
>>
>>382263342
Wait wut. No... I didn't experience that.
>>
Has it been 5 years yet?
>>
>>382256928
It was enjoyable.
>>
>>382256928
the only one walking simulator I liked
>>
>>382256928
Is there another game like this?
>>
>>382263101
It appeals to the critical and witty part of the mind. The only real appeal of this game is deconstructing the idea of a video game with the narrator. It's playfully analytical and invites the player to think above the game's level. This game is absolutely nothing but poking fun at how limited video games are.
>>
>>382263802
Yeah loads. Even games made by the same guy that do a similar thing. "a beginners guide" or whatever.
Played "the path"?
>>
>>382263498
That's because it never made it in the game. They intended to put it in though. Kind of curious about it.
>>
>>382263806
Yes interesting. But I think it's more about the player and a warning to it. get red pilled
>>
>>382256928
I feel the mod was more concise and delivered the message better, without unnecessary fluff. Still bought standalone because I enjoyed mod.

If you liked it, you might want to check out Flowe, Sun and Rain by Suda51. It also explores the nature of player agency and limits of game design, though it's, well, deliberately made to be as unfun as possible.
>>
>>382264023
Yeah it's got a message about not getting memed on. Like I said it invites people like you to feel better than people you assume don't get it. It's laughs down at a figurative fool who doesn't understand any of it.
>>
Most immersive game ever

Probably because my name is Stanley
>>
>>382256928
I've used shrooms a handful of times. And this game really gave me the feeling like I was on shrooms. I'm pretty sure other anons know exactly what I mean. Even though it's not psychedelic at all.
>>
>>382256928
The Stanley Parable is best not viewed as a game, but as an interactive sketch show. When considered thus, it is exceptionally well executed and enjoyable.
>>
>>382264351
Kind of had that idea as well.
>>
>>382263101
>>382263806
Call me an autist but I literally feel too smart for this game.

Yes, video games are limited. This isn't news to fucking anyone. The game can "playfully analyze" this all it wants but it's not telling me anything I don't already know. It can be all rebellious and meta and deconstructive but the message is not new. If the message isn't anything of value, then all that's left is a walking sim with humor. The humor is in my opinion just bad, the british VA just makes it all sound smug, and there's no fucking gameplay to speak of.

Like, trust me, I GET all the jokes. Haha yes, Stanley is a worker drone, just obeying commands, you are Stanley, you can only do what I let you, Stanley is the parable of what video games are, I le tip my monocle at you sir.
The way people talked about it I just expected way more.
>>
>>382257035
fpbp
>>
>>382264686
Man, this exactly. Monty Python, Fry and Laurie, Stanley Parable.

You can replace "smart" and "funny" with "British" and most people wouldn't know the difference.
>>
>>382263886
The beginner's guide is very different from Stanley Parable, I bought/played the beginner's guide immediately after finding all the endings in TSP but they are barely comparable. The Beginner's Guide is less of a game and more of just a story you walk through. Not a bad story, I did enjoy it, and there is a twist near the end that really got me, but I wouldn't compare the two games.

if you want another stanley parable-esque game you can find Dr Langeskov the tiger and the terribly cursed emerald on steam for free, second playthrough with the tape recorder is fantastic
>>
>>382264663
i've done acid plenty and I don't understand this?
>>
>>382265438
Pretty much. The game is a great time and is well executed but it's nothing too advanced. Just a basic trip.

>>382266025
Beginners Guide is pretentious shit and horribly acted out. The ending is embarrassing.
>>
>>382266153
acid is different from shroom experience.
>>
>>382265438

you probably heard too much and had your expectations too high

I enjoyed it but I had no idea what I was getting into

I think the surprise is a very important part of enjoying a game like this
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.