[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this game so divisive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

File: dark souls 3.jpg (220KB, 1200x650px) Image search: [Google]
dark souls 3.jpg
220KB, 1200x650px
Why is this game so divisive?
>>
>>382252814
It was the first souls of some neo-/v/ babbies so they pretend it isn't a worthless piece of shit.
>>
>>382252814
DS1 nostalgiafags are so enraged by the idea of anyone enjoying any other game in the series that they shit up all discussions about it

Same things happens with Morrotards and TES.
>>
DemonĀ“s Souls - 8/10
Dark Souls - 9/10
Dark Souls 2 - 6/10
Bloodborne - 5/10
Dark Souls 3 - 4/10
>>
File: 1482948881660.png (44KB, 334x225px) Image search: [Google]
1482948881660.png
44KB, 334x225px
>>382253421
>>382253213
kek
>>
Because souls fans are autistic
>>
Because From Software has been milking the formula since Demon's Souls in fucking 2009 and hasn't done anything original with it besides Bloodborne which was a shit game, so the series is getting incredibly stale.

This causes conflict between the fans who are getting burnt-out with the series and the fans who are still sucking those dried up utters.
>>
>>382253445
>DS2
>better than DS3
>better than BB
Opinion discarded.
>>
It's not divisive outside of /v/. It's pretty well received actually. The problem is /v/ has a knee-jerk hatred for anything modern and new. "X went to shit after Y" logic. It helps them feel mature and superior.
>>
File: 1471462029788.jpg (26KB, 481x291px) Image search: [Google]
1471462029788.jpg
26KB, 481x291px
this is why
>>
>>382253445
Demon's Souls is by far the worst
>>
>>382253757
Bloodborne is fucking garbage and you know it

>b-b-b-b-b-but muh EXCLUSIVE
>>
>>382252814
What if you were to give this game to, say, twenty... intelligent people i mean, what would that do? Let's face it what would it do?
>>
File: 1498008406816.jpg (30KB, 564x525px) Image search: [Google]
1498008406816.jpg
30KB, 564x525px
>>382253991
Not him but
I own both a ps4 and my pc. its actually really good, suprisingly just as good as DaS1
>>
It's the return to form sequel. Dark Souls 2 was divisive because for each improvement, they downgraded something else and got a little lazy. Unfortunately, they took this to mean "We should just do exactly what Dark Souls 1 did again" when making Dark Souls 3 and completely ignored all the genuine improvements 2 made rather than just fixing up what made 2 bad and making a best of both worlds thing.
>>
Ok guessing the soulsborne fan base doesn't have a general consensus on the best game?
>>
>mfw people say II ripped off I when half the time it's ripping off Demon Souls as much as DaS ripped off Demon Souls
>mfw people say DSII lacks variety
>mfw people mad about muh stats for invincibility frames
>mfw people mad that items degrade
>mfw people imply the PVP isn't phenomenal
>mfw people hate a "hub world" thing in this game but love it in DeS and DSIII
>>
>>382252814
Because you're on /v/
>>
>>382253445
(You)
>>
File: AreYouNuTs.jpg (41KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
AreYouNuTs.jpg
41KB, 612x612px
>>382252814
It was kind of linear but it really did live up to what souls fags wanted. The only people whining about the game are the basement dwellers who consider it to be the "normie" souls since it basically leads you on to the path unlike DaS1 where you have no fucking idea where to go half the time.
>>
>>382253421
>Enjoying games in the Elder Scrolls series other than Daggerfall and Morrowind

kys yourself, n'wah.
>>
File: 1431809754117.jpg (40KB, 259x567px) Image search: [Google]
1431809754117.jpg
40KB, 259x567px
>>382252814
1=3>2
If you think otherwise you have brain damage.
>>
>>382254192
>Return to form

>Linear and not interconnected with the starting hub even being completely disconnected from the rest of the game
>Can warp to every bonfire right from the start
>Upgrades are overly streamlined and you can't do anything akin to missing the depths ember
>Basically everyone is sitting pretty at the hub that you always warp back to for all your upgrades
>Most of the little eccentricities like Cursed players showing up in other sessions are gone
>RPG elements are neutered

Dark Souls 3 doesn't do exactly what Dark Souls 1 did again it just references it incessantly.
>>
>>382253421
In all honesty, THIS
>>
>>382256008
You have a very rose tinted view of what DS1 was.
>>
>>382256008
Let's not forget blue invasions and player sin, even DS2 had that.

DS1 and DS2 have nearly all the same mechanics, it's DS3 that has tons of missing shit.
>>
>>382254502
And like DS1, DS2's hub world at least is physically connected to the levels, even if the scale of the paths you travel is not 1:1.
>>
>>382255723
This and
>>382255101
This
>>
S TIER - Masterpieces (but not perfect), on a completely different level than almost all games ever made

>Dark Souls
>Bloodborne

A TIER - Amazing, fun from start to finish, replayable, memorable

>Demon's Souls

B TIER - Mostly good but some major flaws in the fundamental design

>Dark Souls III

C TIER - Mixed bag. Some things good, some things great, but hampered by a lot of bad decisions and design choices.

>Dark Souls II
>>
>>382252814
Sure. It's confusing, so here it is.
1. Dark Souls 3 has BETTER bosses, music, presentation, enemies, level design, combat, atmosphere, DLC, etc than Dark Souls
2. Dark Souls 3 has WORSE music, presentation, enemies, level design, combat, atmosphere, narrative, DLC, etc than Bloodborne.
3. It does nothing original, nothing. It's the only game in the series that feels like a straight rehash.
4. After 3 games and 6 DLCs, the ending isn't any more conclusive than the vanilla DaS1 ending.

So you have a situation where the people that wanted a strict quality upgrade of Dark Souls 1, finally got it.
That being said, Dark Souls 1's main strength, the interconnection of the world, didn't make it, so Dark Souls 3 feels like an upgrade of Dark Souls 1 in every way except the one way that counts. Since Dark Souls is many people's favorite game in the series, this upgrade can make the game easy to consider great... but there are going to be detractors that don't like it because of the world being more linear.

Dark Souls 3 is also definitely is a welfare Bloodborne for the most part. Almost everything about the game feels slightly off or executed worse compared to Bloodborne. Bloodborne and DaS1 both feel like labors of love and DaS3 doesn't.

This lifeless feeling of the game translates to a complete lack of innovation and originality. This is complimented by the hilariously underwhelming ending to the Dark Souls narrative in The Ringed City.
>>
>>382255101
To add on to this, who didn't use a guide to figure out where the fuck you were supposed to go in Dark Souls? Like, why waste your time going down every path just to find either a dead end or an area that you're not ready for just to find out where the fuck you're supposed to go?

Bloodborne was even worse because even though they locked off the tougher areas until you were ready for them, they made finding a path to the next area as cryptic as possible. It literally took me 2 hours of wandering around until I figured out you had to pull a lever to move some dead fucker's tomb in order to get to Old Yharnam.
>>
>>382257273
actually a pretty insightful post..
>>
File: 1497623504790.png (757KB, 621x623px) Image search: [Google]
1497623504790.png
757KB, 621x623px
>>382252814
Nostalgiafags hate it because it's not DS1
Contrarians hate it because it's not DS2
People with taste like it because they understand that it's about as good as the others.
>>
>>382257590
best girl
best covenant
>>
>>382252814
Very close to being the greatest game in the series by miles but it's completely brought down by a mountain of small errors and reverting the few good improvements DaS2 made. As a result either ignore it's problems and think it's GOAT, or only see nothing but it's problems and think it's 1/10.
>>
>>382252814
Because for some reason, this game (the LAST souls game, mind you) is simply free of any criticism for its many shortcomings, so long as Dark Souls 2 is mentioned.

Forget its shortcomings as a game to DaS for a second, the fact that the most hated game in the series is constantly used to defend this game's utter lack of fun or depth when the fault relies solely on Miyazaki this time, is hilarious, because quite frankly it provides all the confirmation in the world that game genuinely does something wrong with the formula and the opposite is true; that it isn't a different director that's to blame for making a lackluster sequel.

And the worst part is that this shitflinging only serves to make Dark Souls 2 look better, because at the end of the day it was a sequel that made genuine improvements to DaS, while DaS3 did no such thing for DaS2.
>>
File: 1497990910904.jpg (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1497990910904.jpg
17KB, 400x400px
>>382257313
Oh hell I really did get into the "just having to run around until something happened"

the worst part is that you cant teleport to different bonfires until like you're like 60% into the story which only allows you to warp from about ten different bonfires.
thats the only reason why it was so fucking long.
>>
>>382253445
Bad opinion.
>>
>>382257213
>mostly good
>major flaws in the fundamental design

Nigga what? How can these two things both be true about one game?
>>
>>382258789
Something can be good despite the flaws
>>
BB = DeS > DS1 > DS3 > DS2
>>
>>382252814
Fucked up the lore badly. Tried to cover it up with "LOL TIME IS CONFUSING!"
>>
>>382256334
Regardless of whether or not it's rose tinted I would say that it's hardly a return to form.
Dark Souls 1 has plenty of faults, such as Lost Izalith, the sloppy port job and the poor online connectivity but the things I listed were pretty good elements in it that went missing.
I almost forgot to complain about tailcutting only being a pointless reference in 3. I wouldn't fault all the references so much if they were at least done properly.

>>382257273
>Better level design and atmosphere than Dark Souls
No. DLC has the issue where there is simply less of it in the case of 1 even if what there is is generally better. The combat in 3 suffers because of the poor design but I'd be hard pressed to actually demonstrate that 1 is better.
>>
>>382253445
More like:
DemonĀ“s Souls - 7/10
Dark Souls - 8/10
Dark Souls 2 - 6/10
Bloodborne - 7/10
Dark Souls 3 - 9/10
>>
>>382259518
The combat is better in 3 alone due to lack of poise, humanoids having the ability to dodge BS, no infinites, better movesets, better enemies and bosses that are more challenging and interesting.

Also, I was using quality as a metric for level design, not length.
>>
>>382254180
We all know that if it ever comes to PC you will be saying "it wasn't that good anyway".
Its value is inflated because it's an exclusive and the only good game on its console, so it effectively costs in the hundreds of dollars to play it.
In no way is it as good as Dark Souls 1.

Former PS4 owner here who had a blast with Bloodborne for like two hours and then it got old and boring, so I resold it along the console.
>>
File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53KB, 256x330px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53KB, 256x330px
Question unrelated to the top of this thread:
This is my fort DaS run + game. I just finished undead parish and I'm making my way to the garden area where the blacksmith is. I'm stuck on the demon that guards that corridor. I don't want to be a little bitch and skip him. I'm still usuing a longsword, but in my inventory I have the Halbred, Gargoyle Tail axe and a claymore. Which weapon should I use? Is it normal to feel so slow an encumbered using these 3 weapons? What stats would make me faster and more mobile while using these weapons? Do I use a shield or naw fuck that?
>>
>>382253648
fpbp
>>
>>382260590
Also, once I beat dark souls, do I play NG+ or go straight into SOTFS?
>>
>>382260590
Roll to the left front side, side strafe and slash his ass. Are you fatrolling?

Just use what weapon you're most comfortable with.
>>
>>382259983
>bosses that are more challenging and interesting.

>spam roll
>hit once
>spam roll
>hit once

interesting you say
>>
>>382261038
is that different from any other souls game
>>
>>382257590
Pretty much.
>>
>>382261032
Sorry, what is fat rolling? Rolling with a bunch of equipment on?
>>
>Dark Souls 3
>shortest game
>bonfires out the ass
>filled to the brim with shitty references
>massive amounts of on-disc cut content that will be sold as DLC
>rehashed areas in an already short game
>the worst, newbie/scrub favoring invasion system yet
>no arena
>Heavy armor sucks

>Armor variety is less than DS2 BASE game, despite copypasting a 3rd of the armors from previous games
>Magic needs 2-3 ring slots just to dish out melee level damage
>Magic itself does reduced damage for PvP
>removes a shit ton of spells from the previous game
>awful scaling balance
>FP is the most awful casting management system introduced yet (worse than DeS mana, which had better regen options and more efficient)
>FP horribly ineffiecent with damage, ends up causing everyone to use 1 or 2 FP efficient spell like Great Heavy Soul Arrow
>Miracles awful, best and most viable one locked behind the final boss
>bland NG+
>awful covenants
>no blue eye orb
>blue sentinels and darkmoons the exact same
>left hand weapons no longer have full movesets
>dual wield weapons are gimmicks
>boss weapons canā€™t be infused
>Straight Swords and Curved Sword are as fast as daggers
>Great Weapons are slower than previous games, and costs more stamina, while barely doing more damage
>1-2 Weapons ALWAYS the best in class, no redeeming qualitys for special weapons resulting in less weapon variety than BB
>very little moveset variation
>WA are mostly shit or copypasted powerstance moves
>No backstep i-frame
>rolls have too much i-frames and cost too little stamina
>bloodborne enemies catered to R1 spam from ss and cs
>hexes gone and dark magic is shit
>shittiest dragon form
>no dragon covenant
>refined/hollow completely dominates
>DLC has so far been shit
>19 bosses, a good chunk being gimmicks
>linear level design, less branching options than DeS, DS2, and even BB
>b-but the DLC will save it!
>b-but other games have faults!
>>
>>382261484
70% or more carry weight makes you fatroll which is clunky and shitty
>>
>>382255306
You first.
>>
>>382253213
FYI, the guy below you made you look like a butt punk. He bent you over and stuffed his e-peen into your small intestine.
>>
People give 3 a lot of shit for being too reliant on referencing stuff from the first game. But I appreciate that at least, it was honest about it. DaS2's problem was that it tried to be very obscure about its connection to the first game while simultanously referencing it in completely nonsensical and forced ways, like Ornstein being in Heide's Tower.

I also really like the whole theme of the world being forced to go far past its natural lifespan.
>>
Dark Souls 2 fans owe it to themselves to hate it because they feel like it's some sort of revenge for their game being lambasted. The fact that Dark Souls 3 is a better game increases their hatred even more.

Then you have the people that understand it's not a masterpiece but is still fundamentally a well designed game with extremely good bossfights and some standout areas
>>
>>382261624
Carry weight meaning equipment I have on or everynight in my inventory?
But no, I've been rolling and blocking his shots pretty well. It's just this broad longsword is a piece of shit and it barley does any damage to him
>>
>>382261484
Movement speed is based on the percentage of your total equipment weight to your max carry weight. Fatrolling is when you got 75% equipment weight, that's why your movement is slow and rolling takes more stamina. Try to reduce it to less than 50% or even less than 25% for maximum sanic speed.
>>
>>382261926
it's mainly your weapon, armor, and rings that contribute to carry weight

look for a percentage on your equipment screen to be sure.
>>
>>382260590
Be a sorcerer and zap him before he reaches you. You'll also one shot the dragon on the bridge and nearly every boss. Summon decoys if needed.

Easy mode.
>>
>>382262010
>>382262063
For sure. Thank you. You guys get a bad rap but honestly you guys are some of the more helpful fanbases I've encountered on 4chinz.
>>
>>382262269
I refused tnplay casters in WoW and every other RPG I've ever played I won't start now. Melee is always where it is at
>>
File: 1445156112682.jpg (17KB, 350x277px) Image search: [Google]
1445156112682.jpg
17KB, 350x277px
I personally hate 3 because it's fucking boring. No other souls game feels as painfully slow and chore like as 3.
Maybe It's just the case for me since I played the hell out of all of them and I'm burned out, but still. It's like playing dark souls: prepare to prepare your taxes edition.
>>
>>382252814
des fags hate it cause it's more of the same
das fags hate it cause it's full of pandering
das2 fags hate it cause they have brain problems (muh pvp)
bb fags hate it cause it's not exclusive
people with taste understand that it's a good game that did nothing new and just rehashed shit, but had some great moments and bosses.
>>
>>382261164
no
>>
>>382254502
>straw-mans
dumb das2fag.
>>
File: 1493828619673.jpg (300KB, 760x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1493828619673.jpg
300KB, 760x1000px
DS3 was my first game and I love it.
I admit there are many flaws but the positives outweight the negatives.

Specifically the combat being one of the best.
Almost all weapons and armor form previous games.
Great variety of magic and miracles.
Boss fights are NEVER tiring or boring.
Areas are tough but fair and enemies are fun to fight.
>>
>>382262384
I was the same,. Melee all the way. Finished ds1,2 and 3 with a str and quality build and got half way through Ng+ on 2nd character when I tried making a fat black sorcerer as a joke. Was ridiculous how much easier the game becomes. I'm half way through ds2 now with the sorcerer after what amounted to a speedrun of ds1 compared to previous playthroughs.
>>
I know ds2 gets a lot of deserved flak for using a ton of humanoid enemies, but how many non humanoid ones are in ds2? I can only remember a few.
>>
>>382262926
Once I git gud I'll try a sorcerer. I just feel cheap standing like 300 yard away casting spells and shit.
>>
>>382252814
I dunno, I'm still waiting for flashsale.
>>
>>382259323
>the souls games having any kind of story
>>
>>382262925
>DS3 was my first game
stopped reading here
>>
>>382259983
Dark Souls 3 does have poise with hyperarmor attacks, which is literally better than poise offensively since only one side has poise if they land attacks consistently and this isn't countered by having higher poise than the attacker.

>no infinites

Of course there isn't. It's a requirement, as bonfires are mere yards apart and there's warping out the gate. Again, we're basically using DaS2 as a reference here to thank DaS3 for certain design reversions when it replicates an equally related mistake.

>better movesets

DaS1 and 2 had much better movesets because without WAs and charged R2s, whether your weapon can thrust, slash, or slam outside its predetermined niche actually came into play.

Nearly every damn weapon in DaS3 has some sort of reused weapon art animation that trivializes what little difference in attacks two different weapons can have because it either a. provides the weapon with an attack type you'd normally need from another weapon, or b. is so powerful in any situation it doesn't matter.

In DaS and DaS2, it is life and death if your weapon can only thrust after rolling, or only slash with running R1, or only slam with 2h R2, and so on... There was depth in the weapon selection because each one could only offer attacks outside their niche with certain conditions and you actually had to adjust your playstyle to make use of them.

>>382260051

>We all know that if it ever comes to PC you will be saying "it wasn't that good anyway".

If that happened it would be because PC games are judged by their mods and live and die by how good they are.
>>
>>382252814
It had the chance to be the best in the series, but had a few inexcusable major flaws, notably ignoring most of the good mechanics 2 added. Mechanically it is the best of the series, but it's missing the heart that 1 and even 2 had. The game felt like the devs were tired
>>
>>382252814
Its Japanese made so i play it thread again.
>>
File: 1498013855268s.jpg (2KB, 122x125px) Image search: [Google]
1498013855268s.jpg
2KB, 122x125px
>>382260051
There would be nothing to say, I'd buy it because of nostalgia and move on to other video games.
>>
>>382257213
DeS needs to be in C and DS2 in B
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.