[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Spiderweb Software. Are their games good? Which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: 1.jpg (1MB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1MB, 1000x750px
Redpill me on Spiderweb Software.
Are their games good?
Which are worth getting and which should I pass on?
Their games are super cheap on the current sale and I got the cRPG itch.
>>
bumping because I've never heard of this
>>
bump
Anyone tried any of their games?
>>
I would play their games when I was in middle school but I have no idea if they were any good, in part because I only played the demos.
>>
once i started playing the avernum 1 remake but dropped it because the gameplay wasn't anything to write home about and the story wasn't enough to keep up interest
>>
>>382251510

what dis? it looks good
>>
>>382252369
I'm trying to find out but apparently nobody played this shit
They've been making niche games for like 20 years now.
>>
>>382252860

If they're cheap as shit then you might as well give them a go. Additionally, I don't know how old those games are but /vr/ could be worth a thread if they're sufficiently old enough (more than 15 years).

Sorry that we don't have anything more helpful to offer.
>>
>>382251510
They are fun, can get a bit repetitive to keep clearing maps though.

I played Geneforge. The map design reminds me of Baldur's Gate 1 (the rest of the game is completely different, just talking about maps).

You have relatively small maps, like 50+ of them, and each of these maps are going to have some interesting feature on it, like a dungeon, a small quest, a town, some treasure to find, a unique npc or so on. So most of the gameplay is about clearing the fog off the map and finding adventure.
>>
>>382251510
I love them. Traditional low budget CRPGs. Don't go in expecting polish, they're basically made by one guy and the engine is pretty outdated and janky but the content is good.
>>
>>382251510
I played avernum escape from the pit, which is supposed to be the most praised one

It feels like an indie game from the turn of the century. I bought it dirt cheap a year ago and pushed through an hour or two to five it a fair shake before putting it down forever. There's tons of isometric rpgs on steam that are much more worthwhile.
>>
>>382252369
>>382252860
Avernum Escape from the pit
>>
>>382251510
Also Geneforge has an interesting party system that I've never seen in other games.
You only have a starter character that's a permanent party member, you're a wizard. Everything else in your party are semi-permanent monsters that you can summon up to be your faithful and loyal servants. You can have up to 8 units in your party, you can either have a few strong monsters or many weak ones. They level up and get stronger, but if they die they are gone and you have to summon a new one.
You can also literally eat (re-absorb) them whenever you want, get back half of their cost and summon something else.

The whole game is about being a badass wizard who's like a god among plebs and the game's story and people's reaction changes whether you tell lesser beings to serve you and submit to you, or help them out and treat them as equals.
>>
File: 50-011_exileLP_054.png (66KB, 534x435px) Image search: [Google]
50-011_exileLP_054.png
66KB, 534x435px
>>382251510
this is the real shit
>>
>>382253618
Which would you recommend over these?
I'm looking for more options as well
>>
>>382251510
Geneforge and Avernum are good. Never played Exile but some people have told me they were better and looked better.
>>
File: exile3.gif (113KB, 643x483px) Image search: [Google]
exile3.gif
113KB, 643x483px
>>382251510
The Geneforge series is really good. I don't know much about Avadon and Avernum, but from what I understand they are remakes of the original Exile, which was also great. But with Exile, well, I'm a sucker for parser-based NPC interaction, which I'm sure the remakes must have replaced with regular dialog boxes with options. I'm not sure how I feel about that. But on the other hand the remakes are probably easier to get into.

By the way the entire Exile series is free.
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/productsOld.html
>>
>>382253618
>indie game feels like an indie game
wew
>>
>>382254064
Also fuck the Avernum remakes they replace the cool point buy skill system with a faggy skill tree.
>>
>>382254064
The first 3 Avernum were remakes of the first 3 Exile. Exile had things like permadeath and very simple top down graphics, but conceptually they're not that different from Avernum
>>
>>382251510

>Are their games good?

Without a question yes.

>Which are worth getting

All.
>>
>>382255031
Fuck off shill.
>>
>>382251510
The biggest problem with Spiderweb Software is that all of their games look and play the same, with very small differences

The combat sistem is probably the worst part of their games, but you can mitigate it by playing on easier difficulties

The stories and writing are good, if you like the old type of rpgs with lots of text, descriptions, and lore you will enjoy them

The Avernum series is the most RPG-like of them all. There are lots of skills to learn, and skillchecks too in sidequests or dialogue. They are more open world, meaning the player must travel from place to place in an overworld. There are no set characters, the player must create the entire 4 man party. They're remakes of the very first series the developer made, clled Exile, which I think is a freeware

Geneforge is similar to Avernum, but with less skills and instead of an openworld you simply unlock new areas by progressing the games. The main difference is how the party works: the player only creates the main character, and regardless of his class the MC has the ability to create summoned monsters to fill the rest of the part slots. There is surprisingly depth in this system, for example only intelligent monsters can be issued direct commands, or how scared monsters can panic and run away

With Avadon it feels the dev tried to take inspiration from more modern rpgs but with no budget: premade party members NPC, limited numer of skills and areas to explore, "loyalty quests" and so on

But as I said above, all of their games look the same. The dev is literally using the same engine from 20 years. If you played one you played them all. If you want to try one of them I suggest Avernum: Escape From the Pit, a remake of the first Avernum. The first Geneforge is also a possibility, but avoid Avadon unless you really liked one of their games
>>
>>382255709
U mad Todd?
>>
File: shaper.jpg (42KB, 124x231px) Image search: [Google]
shaper.jpg
42KB, 124x231px
>>382251510
Geneforge is great. Nethergate is neat too

Never played Exile or any of his newshit
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.