[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What actually ruined Pokémon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 271
Thread images: 46

File: AllPokemonGenerations.jpg (468KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AllPokemonGenerations.jpg
468KB, 1920x1080px
What actually ruined Pokémon?
>>
>>382242021
Pokemon was always shit
>>
>>382242021
Pressing A simulator
>>
X & Y was the beginning of the end.
>>
>>382242021
You grew up
>>
pokemon has always been flawed, there's no difficulty until you hit the battle tower equivalent in their respective games, and when you get at that point it becomes a grindy breeding simulator.
>>
>>382242021
ORAS, it all went downhill from there.
Pokemon peaked between late gen4 and gen5. We had 3 great games in PT, HGSS and BW2. Gen6 had a good start, I liked XY much more than I liked DP. Compare Kalos to Sinnoh, Sinnoh arguably had a worse start in DP, but Platinum completely redeemed it. The problem with Gen 6 was that it lacked a good third version in Z and Gamefreak rushed out a half assed remake ORAS which really dragged down that generation for me. After ORAS I was still stupidly optimistic to believe there will be a "Pokemon Z" or "Delta Emerald", a game Gen6 deserved, but no, Gamefreak didn't learn their lesson and rushed out another pair of game in SM just to meet the 20year anniversary deadline. Such a shame! BW2 is a much better game to celebrate 20th anniversary than SM does.
>>
>>382242021
Last pokemon game I played was hand holding up the ass and a forced story. They got away with made the first couple games so great.
>>
File: masuda (2).png (192KB, 336x418px) Image search: [Google]
masuda (2).png
192KB, 336x418px
>>382242021
>>
>>382242021
Gen 1
>>
Gen 4 seems to be when it started going downhill imo
>>
File: 1498729520693.jpg (153KB, 847x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1498729520693.jpg
153KB, 847x1200px
Not enough incest straight shota
>>
>>382242021
1&2 (and the remakes) were god tier. Gen 4 was when the downward spiral started.
>>
>>382242567
Is this a new pasta?
>>
Idk guys I still like pokemon
>>
Too many options and power creep.
>>
>>382242021
Going for the Yokai Watch audience in SM.
>>
>>382242994
Fucking options
>>
>>382242021
Nothing, it's still good
>>
>>382242021
I unironically love every Pokemon game that has been made. Only nostalgiafags hate on it.
>>
>>382243167
>>382243186
Same.
>>
>>382242021
I stopped being into it at Gen 5. Until that point I'd bought every version of every gen (except Diamond), but I couldn't muster any interest in B/W. Even when I went back and emulated them and B/W2 it felt more like a slog than anything. I bought Y and enjoyed it but there wasn't much to do after you beat it and I dropped my second playthrough early on. I also had and still have no interest in S/M. Just not fun anymore to me. The spinoffs are still enjoyable at least.
>>
>>382242802
Nope, just my honest opinion. I didn't see this thread when I posted the same thing in the other thread.
>>
>>382242347
>simulator
>when you actually press the A button
>>
>>382242430
This one.

But really, it was them taking new features out every game.
>>
File: Pokémon.full.1198821.jpg (311KB, 1000x882px) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon.full.1198821.jpg
311KB, 1000x882px
>>382242021
Gen 5 being the last good gen where they actually tried to do something different by making it so you were forced to use the Gen 5 Pokemon.
Then all of the shitters cried about not being able to use MUH BROS and that's why in Gen 6 there's so much fucking Gen 1 pandering.
>>
>>382242021

The fact you only fight maybe two teams of six in the entire game.
>>
>>382242732
What the fuck is with the 2nd picture? The woman's tits sags all the way down to her waist.
>>
The exact moment they decided to create FR/LG and Shadow Lugia. Third version is always a tradition, and colosseum looks and plays better than 2017 pokemon. FR/LG was the first time they realized pokemon fans are huge wallets who would buy anything with a brand, even recycled content, as long as there is a minuscule difference.
>>
>>382243890
>Gamecube looks better than 3DS
Woah.
>>
File: 25d.png (410KB, 680x480px) Image search: [Google]
25d.png
410KB, 680x480px
>>382243343
oh, sorry hear that anon, I guess we can´t be friends
>>
X&Y was the point of no return. Mega-evolutions, etc..
>>
>>382242021
XY was the overly casualization of the series
>>
>>382243890
There is way more than a miniscule difference between FRLG and RBY. Not that I thought FRLG were very good, but be honest.
>>
>>382243890
>FR/LG
>minuscule difference
Go away
>>
I played Y last. Horrible.
It was set in fucking France.
The whole game I was constantly stopped by these 4 assholes, a big fat guy that liked to dance like a queer and everytime he'd show up he would do a stupid spin it fucking drove me insane, a brainiac manlet that can't get off the fat guy's dick, some jailbait that's too enthutiastic about absolutely everything and a rich bitch that is supposed to be Aura/Dawn/Misty but way more forgettable.
Trough all the game almost everytime you'd enter a new town or progress trough the story you would have to listen to these assholes and watch them dance around for a period no inferior to five minutes.
The dialogue was childish beyond believing and the world was uninteresting and plain. I'm not saying the other games were intellectual or very interesting but in the first games I felt like I gained insight on the world and received advantages when visiting and talking to people, here I feel annoyed just to enter a house.
BINS ARE ALL EMPTY! What the fuck is up with that? I was still able to check on them but they were all empty so why even have them there?
Now the pokemons giveaways was the worst part. You coulnd't even assemble your own team because at 30 mins you would have TWO initials, one from that gen and one from Gen 1, a Lucario, a Lapras, and a Dinosaur. Why even bother to catch your own team when you already have this emblematic team for free?
I hate it with passion honestly. They need to make pokemon harder to get and either make the story a little more mature but no so much that it's edgy or make it simple and with no handholding. Why are we still getting a tutorial at the begining? Everyone knows how to fucking work this game!
>>
>>382242021
Not sticking to >>>/vp/
>>
File: 1498757308253.png (416KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
1498757308253.png
416KB, 1136x640px
>>
>>382242021
Honestly, Pokemon has been on a general downward trend since gen1. On the whole, the designs have gotten worse, the dungeons have gotten worse, the puzzles have gotten simpler, the music has lost its charm, the enemy factions have gotten more awkward. The visuals have been up and down. The towns haven't gotten more expansive. The endgame content peaked with Emerald and have gone down since.

The battle system has gotten better in general, but some things, especially mega evolutions, have been steps in the wrong direction. The biggest upgrade was the move from atk/spatk types to individual moves and the addition of spdef but aside from that, there really hasn't been anything I would consider a big structural upgrade.

That isn't tp say that all the games don't have their thing and are enjoyable. Gen 2 has the best lore imo and great atmosphere along with 16 gyms and Red battle. Gen 3 had battle frontier and some endearing things like trick house. Gen 4 has the best routes by far and some good designs. Gen 5 has the best sense of scale and the best towns. Gen 6...well gen 6 is shit. Gen 7 I never touched.
>>
File: 1496872231048.gif (7KB, 80x160px) Image search: [Google]
1496872231048.gif
7KB, 80x160px
>>382242021
art direction wise, probably Ruby and Sapphire. They're all pretty fun games doe
>>
>>382242021
The further babbification of the series. Pokemon was always kid-friendly and was never close to being hardcore. But for some reason, the developers dumbed down the game even further with every iteration in the series. I have no issue with games being more accessible, especially for a series predominantly aimed at kids like Pokemon. I start having problems when the games end up becoming notably worse because of it. Before, the games felt like an adventure where you'd overcome adversity with your Pokemon. Things were rarely just handed to you, you would have to go out of your way to accomplish some goal to progress further in the game.

For example, in RBY/FRLG you need to awaken the Snorlax in order to reach Fuchsia City and continue your quest to earn all the gym battles. In order to wake up Snorlax, you need the Pokeflute. In order to get the Pokeflute, you need to save Mr Fuji from Pokemon Tower. In order to reach the top of Pokemon Tower, you need to get past the Marowak ghost. In order to get past the ghost (assuming you don't want to just use a Pokedoll), you need the Silph Scope. In order to get the Silph Scope, you need to clear Team Rocket out of the Silph Co. headquarters. In order to enter the Silph Co. headquarters, you need to clear out the Rocket Hideout in Celadon. You were never the sworn enemy of Team Rocket or the one destined to tame a legendary Pokemon. Team Rocket just happened to be in your way when you were trying to get your gym badges.

Compare that to the modern games, where you get gifted a ton of items from your friends every time you enter a new town and the Island Guardian recognises you as the chosen one before you even get your starter Pokemon. And that's not touching upon the unskippable, unecessary cutscenes and the amount of effort the game puts in to railroad the player and prevent any exploration. Or the regions that no longer stretch in every direction and simply give the player the option to go forwards or backwards.
>>
>>382244935
Legitimately though, I hope that the Pokemon game on the Switch isn't just some small shitty land mass. I want it to be fucking massive.
Then again, this is Gamefreak we're talking about, and they can't program for fucking shit.
>>
Incompetence and obsession over demographics
>>
>>382242021
Gen 4 when the devs' hate for fire pokemon went too far.
>>
>>382245035
>The biggest upgrade was the move from atk/spatk types to individual moves and the addition of spdef but aside from that, there really hasn't been anything I would consider a big structural upgrade.
What about abilities? Or hold items? Or the revamped IV/EV system? Or natures? Or weather? The Physical/Special split is fairly unsubstantial compared to some of the stuff gen 2 and 3 introduced.
>>
>>382242021
Imo it's not ruined. All of gen 6 was a transitional rough patch in the series. That's all. I've really quite liked gen 7 so far, mostly for its atmosphere and innovations. I still feel they need to stop the hand holding (they never will) amd maybe cut some of the cutesy crap, like the app-esque little plazas and bean collecting shit, and all the 'helpful' NPCs who circle jerk over the player. Poke lore is at its peak though. The individual plots are meh but the multiverse stuff and all the little tidbits are really interesting.
>>
>>382245226
Exactly. Gen 1 was an adventure and you went from nobody to champion. It wasn't hard, but they didn't hold your hand either. You had to explore and talk to people for info and finding your way was tricky. I remember in XY the main faction encounter was literally just walking forward to face a few trainers. No navigation, no puzzle, nothing blocking your path, just walk forward.
>>
>>382242021

Never once changing the gameplay formula for over 20 years.
Always releasing on extremely underpowered handhelds to make maximum profit.
Ignoring fans cries for years to make a console/PC iteration.
Generally not giving a fuck about anything but money >>382242069
>>
>>382246008
Meanwhile in ORAS the rival literally teleports you to your next destination...
>>
>>382246184
I can tell you haven't played a single one since Red and Blue.
>>
>>382245796
No its not. It literally rendered a ton of pokemon useless. A fire pokemon with low special was worthless. All those other things are pretty big in pvp, but not in the game itself.
>>
>>382242021
the Mystery Dungeon spin-offs
>>
>>382245996
>gen 7
>innovation
It's basically gen 6 with more cutscenes and a worse version of PSS. Trials are exactly the same as gyms in everything but name, except this time the "puzzles" are even more simplistic than usual. Totem battles were the only remotely decent thing the game added and you can be certain that they'll never return in a future Pokemon game because Game Freak has to remove two good features for every one feature they add.
>>
>>382246304

I've played all every one of them up up to Aqua sapphire and I'm right apps goodbye projecting faggot :)
>>
>>382246335
The games are piss-easy, you can become champions with a team of shitmons. It didn't really matter that certain Pokemon had shit movesets before the physical/special split. And it's not like it benefited every single Pokemon either (Sceptile lost its signature move, Flareon still has no moves, etc.).
>>
File: 1478619794846.png (120KB, 800x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478619794846.png
120KB, 800x768px
>>382246184
>Monster Raising game with PVP aspects
>Console
Only Gen 4 onwards would be viable and even then, the portability means you can play it on the go.
>>
>>382246378
they changed the overworld and the hm too
>>
>>382242369
A lot of people started to get back into Pokemon with x and y though, including me
I dropped it after I found out black and white dropped the Pokemon following the player feature, I'm still a little salty about it to this day
>>
5 > 4 > 2 > 3 > 7 > 1 > 6

>>382243474 is why I love Gen 5 so much. They added a ton of pokémon and you used them exclusively until the end of the game, where they then introduced older generation pokémon in post game routes. It was a really fresh experience to play without encountering obligatory zubat/geodude/magikarp. Of course, at that point social media and the "pokémon died after RBY" viewpoint cropped up so they went into maximum pandering mode.
At least S/M was celebrating the anniversary, and the gen 1 references were done a bit more tastefully. XY has no excuse, fucking horrible. The worst part about it is that they only make a pathetic amount of new pokémon because they're too busy fruitlessly pandering to older audiences with features like megas/alolan forms.

So if I had to point out the biggest issue with recent Pokémon games I'd say nostalgiafaggotry. I would never call Gen 1 the peak of the series, ever. Gamefreak are intent on clinging to the past because they saw that their new stuff was being criticised and they want to stick with stuff that works.

You can try making the argument that pokémon designs got worse over time but for every shit pokémon in one gen there's another in each of the rest. Each generation is a mixed bag, that's something that hasn't changed since the series began.
>>
>>382246662
Oh and ORAS was terrible, couldn't force myself to beat it
Platinum/ hgss was the height of Pokemon for me
>>
>>382242021
Gen 3 was the peak, Gen 4 was the slope downward

I liked most of the Gen 6 pokemon though.
>>
megas and z moves
>>
>>382246236
ORAS maybe a shit remake but that was because the original RSE made you backtrack like a million times for no fucking reason.
>>
Stop pandering to generation 1 faggots. Fuck alola forms, gen 1 starters in XY plus Mewtwo at the end.

Also fuck Charizard. I hate him so much
>>
>>382246951
Megas are fine, weren't they so edgy, and if GF actually kept doing more in gen 7 instead of these Z-Moves crap.

Megas and region variants of Pokemon should be the way to go to keep old pokemon new and fresh
>>
File: 1492056933512.gif (482KB, 2669x2003px) Image search: [Google]
1492056933512.gif
482KB, 2669x2003px
>>382242021
Matsuda deciding to insult the intelligence of players by telling them what they do and do not want, Game Freak's shitty programming, and them "playing it safe" by bloating games with shitloads of old Pokemon instead of spreading out newer ones. I really don't want routes filled with the same Pokemon I've been seeing for 15-20 years. I like actually looking forward to new shit in these games and if you don't then you can fuck off to Pokemon Go.
>>
>>382246732
I mostly agree with you, but if rank 7 higher since, while it does suffer from nostalgia shilling, also the only game that drastically tries to break away from the same old formula of the games, and while its not all there its a big step in the right direction.

I'd also rate 4 way lower, while it did some things right (special/physical split and the final boss) the game is the stalest its ever been and the region and story are just totally soulless.
>>
File: 1496105966045.gif (724KB, 465x280px) Image search: [Google]
1496105966045.gif
724KB, 465x280px
>>382246976
>Charizard got TWO Mega Evolutions
>My nig Typhlosion got none
>>
Time and a refusal to change.
>>
File: 215[1].jpg (36KB, 600x582px) Image search: [Google]
215[1].jpg
36KB, 600x582px
>>382247187
TWO!?
>>
>>382246615
The overworld was possibly the worst one yet. The individual islands were very small and most of it was uninteresting. If you took a picture of any town/route in any other Pokemon game, I'd probably be able to tell you where it is. I can't do that with SM because everything has that samey tropical setting. Pokeride was a step in the right direction but they were still far from perfect. The good thing about HMs was that they used to be used to block off progression in an organic way. The later Pokemon games tended to stray away from this and just gate your progress via NPCs blocking your path, presumably this was to rid the need of a HM slave in your party at all times. Since "HMs" no longer take up a moveslot in SM, they could have made the overworld much more organic again, the tropical setting of Alola would lend to this very well. But most of them were useless, the overworld was still as artificially gated as it was before and Tauros replacing the bicycle forced you to hold B to move at full speed (which was a terrible idea).
>>
File: Pokkén_Braixen.png (1012KB, 1003x1141px) Image search: [Google]
Pokkén_Braixen.png
1012KB, 1003x1141px
>>382242021
When they decided to pander to renafags by shoving this monstrosity into Pokkén Tournament as fanservice instead of Delphox.
Lopunny would have been pandering to furries as well, but at least not to the bottom of the barrel trash.
>>
I just got bored of it, back in high school Gen 4 was the absolute shit because we'd be trading and battling in the bathrooms during class and there was so much content in that game, by now I'm just some lonely fuck living in Arizona who browses /v/
>>
gen 2
>>
File: 1468391821160.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1468391821160.gif
2MB, 400x300px
>>382242021
Gamefreak and nostalgia pandering. Everyone keeps saying that returning to what they have is refreshing but you know what's really refreshing? Something new. Don't make half the region gen 1 pokemon while making the new pokemon hard as shit to find, don't outright copy areas (Viridian Forest) and put it in the new game.
I swear everyone bitched at them when B/W took away previous gens pokemon but I really liked it because for the first time ever, you have a completely new region with nothing to fall back on.
>>
File: original.gif (136KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
original.gif
136KB, 540x304px
>>382247413
There was nothing good with HM, and there was always NPC blocking your path
The "organic way" you are talking about seems more like a personal believe than an actual feature of the franchise
>>
ORAS was the the initial blow, S&M was the killing wound
>>
What will be of this franchise if Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon end up being rushed shit just like the past two waves of games? (Or even the last three)

Sequels are known for selling less than the first games of a generation, but since they consist mostly of reused assets... Will GF be worried if it sells much less than expected? Worse now that 3DS piracy is rampant
>>
File: Nicolae_Ceausescu.jpg (19KB, 220x338px) Image search: [Google]
Nicolae_Ceausescu.jpg
19KB, 220x338px
>>382242021

Gen 1 pandering.
Fewer new Pokeymans
Lack of party variety and number across trainers.
Th
The last truly good Pokemon game was B&W2, skipping Diamond & Pearl, and the original B&W.

Sun and Moon were decent, but the lack of new evolutions for older mons yet still including old mons (primarily Gen. 1) in the dex, a roster of only 80 new pokes necessitating inclusion of older pokemon else risk encounter variety, region forms were mostly lackluster, Gyms replaced with the honestly rather boring Trials, no dedicated Rival, STILL no proper Battle Frontier or World Tournament just a Battle Tower equivalent (aka Battle Frontier lite, but this time with muh Red and Blue, but older! ), and of course the inclusion of features like Mega Evolution, and immediately denying access to them till the ass-end of the game due to the less interesting and unnecessary inclusion of yet more features like Z-noves, and still lacking the option for Hard mode.

Otherwise, yeah it was a decent Pokemon game with generally good new Pokemon designs and a good story by Pokemon standards.
>>
>>382247129
Now that you mention it I did forget that 7 broke the mould in a few aspects. I'd probably switch it with 3. But I'd still keep 4 where it is. I didn't really like D/P, but Pt/HGSS really elevated it. And with the introduction of additions like Phy/Spe split, the GTS, online battling, the second screen thanks to the jump to the DS, etc, I really can't rate it lower than any of the generations before it.
>>
>>382242021
Gen 3 remake. Gen 6 could have been redeemed by a third version, where they could've expanded on undeveloped areas like the desert and it's inaccessable factories, the special pokemon that could be ridden and the endgame area. Instead we got oras. 3rd versions were always GOAT.
>>
>>382248198
There's the tree outside of Cerulean that requires Cut to get past. A modern game would just have an NPC blocking your path and say "Who cares about Rock Tunnel? I heard the SS Anne was docked in Vermillion City. I'd go there if I was you!" The original games didn't need this, the player was expected to find a way to open up that path by themselves.

Another example would be pretty much any time you're required to use Surf in the older games. Usually, the game would just put a body of water in front of you, forcing the player to search for another path. In XY, you pretty much get gifted Surf and a Lapras as soon as you reach the first body of water that blocks your path. It completely removes the sense of adventure and makes the game feel like a series of scripted events instead.
>>
>>382248596
Have you beaten frontier? Just out of curiosity. A lot of people I come across say shit like muh frontier yet don't even beat the easy as hell maison or trees let alone frontier.
>>
>>382246951
>>382247057
Z-moves are fucking fine. They actually made a big deal about them in the story, and trainers use them against you. Whether in singles or PvP, an entire match can go by where you don't really need to use one. And how they work based off of certain moves was a nice touch.

Megas were fucking dogshit. It makes a single player way easier than it already was (including the handouts you get), and makes multiplayer unbearable, you NEED one to succeed. In addition to some dogshit designs.
>>
The series was slowly getting ruined. But gen 2, 3 and 4 also added a number of improvements that outweighed the negative stuff they added. Gen 5 was probably the first game where the positive additions equalled the negative additions, but that ended up being a polished product. Gen 6 onwards started to have more negative changes that positive and they all felt unfinished.
>>
>>382248596

This pretty much.
Reusing Gen 1 Pokemon, feature creep and fixing series staples that didn't need fixing, still not listening to people that want proper end-game, and a challenging experience for a game series that allows for min-maxing and optimum strategy.

Also I'm honestly pissed that they gave us Ultra Sun and Moon instead of remakes of Diamond and Pearl, using the good points of Platinum, or a proper dedicated third game like everyone was expecting. Now its BW2 all over again, but with less possibility of making it an interesting sequel.
>>
>>382249121

Emerald and Platinum were the two games I spent the most time on because of the Battle Frontier. And yes, I've completed it in both of them.
>>
>>382249328
Do you really want a remake of Diamond and Pearl during the end of the 3DS cycle and knowing how poorly polished latest games have been?

At best, DP remake will come to the Switch, at worst, DP remake will also come to the Switch but also will lack many features that Platinum introduced and be a rushed mess.

Let's be patient and see, anon.
>>
>>382249221
Z-Moves and Megas are bad because they detract from the humble aesthetic of the series and turn it into ADHD shit for retarded children.

Gen 5 was the last game to carry this humble concept.
>>
>>382249121
I've gotten all the symbols and badges in both Frontiers. I cheesed through the Maison with almost nothing but truant durant and acupressure drapion, but I didn't bother with the Battle Tree. The problem with the new facilities is that they don't try experimenting with the battle system like the frontiers did, which butchers replayability.
>>
>>382242021
Its pretty obvious from these designs that gen 4 was the beginning
>>
The dildo dragons
>>
>>382249061
If you say so, for me it was just a tree I will cut when the times comes, since these games are super linears anyways
Haina Desert or Old Chateau are were I feel actual exploration
>>
>>382242021
Gamefreak
>>
>>382242430
fpbp
>>
>>382249221

Please, Z-moves were just a boring feature creep, ans just as much of a "I win" button. If Megas were really a problem, they should have worked towards balancing them out instead of ignoring them entirely. Wouldn't have been the first time they did that, instead they added even more shit to the game in the form of Z-moves.
>>
Started going downhill at Gen 3.
>>
>>382243681
18 years later idiot. she's in her early 50's now.
>>
>>382242021
>What actually ruined Pokémon?
Adulthood.
>>
>>382249782
>acupressure drapion
Is this actually any good or is it just a meme?
>>
>>382250154
>just as much of a "I win" button
>then proceeds to talk about balance
This is how I can tell you've never actually touched multiplayer and read complaints from those who also haven't
>>
The 3D transition and Game Freak's incompetent overworld design since then. In the 2D games, they could actually design caves and routes you could explore and backtrack to, but now it's all bland Point A to Point B with very little in the way of exploration or detours. Postgame content has also taken a massive dive since then. Hopefully with the work on modeling all the old mons done, they can figure out 3D overworlds and put more focus on postgame, but I am not holding my breath.
>>
>>382250449
If you're trying to use it seriously? No, because it's far too unreliable. But using it against an AI that never switches and can only move once every other turn makes it easier to use.
>>
I think what ruined Pokemon was the fanbase
>>
>>382250281
>>382242430

I hate this fucking meme.
If you cared at all about the series, you'd realize that the choices they've taken regarding the newer games have actively made them worse.
"growing up" doesn't excuse worse game design, you brainlet retards.

Crash Bandicoot also got worse past Warped, yet I don't remember it as a "game for fine ADULT gentleman such as me".
>>
>tfw even if scientists invent and distribute pokemon around the world I'd be too old to be a pokemon trainer
>>
they need to completely rehaul the iv/ev system. No more eugenics. No more breeding. This is only fun for spergs.
>>
>>382242021
the shift from top-down isometric jrpg to 3d animal collecting game killed it for me

they just kept adding boring shit until the game was too cluttered for me to keep up with, so I checked out

that or I grew up
>>
>>382242430

This. People who used to like pokemon and now don't haven't done so because pokemon somehow got ruined. They just had their tastes change over time and the newer games don't have that veneer of nostalgia to make up for gameplay that no longer feels too entertaining.
>>
The insistance of going for an "Epic" storyline instead of one that compliments the main objective of catching them all and become the champion, also not focusing on improving the multiplayer elements and actually taking steps backwards from them.
>>
god fucking forbid they make difficulty settings
>>
>>382250557

Do you have selective reading or some shit? I'm saying that Z-moves were an unnecessary feature that, and that they should have instead moved towards balancing Megas.
Z-moves are an easy win in single-player, just like Megas were.

Fuck you.
>>
File: 1463357825059.gif (638KB, 249x237px) Image search: [Google]
1463357825059.gif
638KB, 249x237px
>>382249328
Speaking as a huge gen 3 fag, you do not want a D/P remake on the 3DS. OR/AS looked like absolute dogshit, and S/M runs like absolute dogshit. It'd be doomed from the start.
>>
>>382250960
Nah. New games aren't the small as old games. Pokémon needs its own Breath of the Wild. It needs to go back to what worked.

I didn't stop playing Zelda because I grew up. I stopped playing because they were no longer Zelda games. This applies to Pokémon as well
>>
what killed it for me was ; right when i was nearing having all the pokemon (134 if i remember right), gen 2 came out. and not just gen 2, but also digimon, yugioh, beyblade, you name it. the card/gameboy game fad had set in and was being thoroughly milked. even in 6th grade i could see it dying.
>>
>>382242069

The first few games did tone pretty well.

Pokemon's overworld is very saccharine and pastoral, so discovering anything rare or difficult was memorable. Hence why lavender town or the legendaries stick in people's minds so much.
>>
>>382251362
Except it doesn´t, pokemon was always the same
>>
>>382242369
You don't need to read this fucking thread after this post. /thread
>>
>>382251362
But the constant problem with pokemon is that it did stay with what worked. The only game that deviated slightly (Black/White) was memed on. S/M finally had the balls to remove the outdated HM mechanics and I'm willing to bet some people were mad at that too because it's not exactly the pokemon they remember when they were kids.
>>
>>382251708
Then why are the new games worse?

>r/b had cutscene after cutscene
>r/b railroaded you into following the plot and beating everything in a specific order
>r/b was made piss easy with handouts from NPCs
>r/b was focused more on online multiplayer than providing a satisfying single player experience

Use your brain, forum dwelling mouthbreather.
>>
Nothing
>>
>>382252037
>the constant problem with pokemon is that it did stay with what worked.

I'll go back to my Zelda example. Look, just because Wind Waker and Skyward Sword checked off the list of
>sword combat
>dungeons
>collecting items

Doesn't mean they were fundamentally the same game as Zelda 1 and 2. It took BotW to get back to the core of what made Zelda, well, Zelda.

Same thing with Pokémon. GF can add or take away features like secret bases and HMs or extra shit like dream world, but their main campaigns have strayed so far away from what people actually want out of a single layer Pokémon game, Sun and Moon are no where near Red/Blue gam design. You constantly read
>I want my sense of adventure back

That shit is gone in the new games. WW and SS held your hand in the same way SuMo does. It makes for a sterile and tepid "adventure." Fuck all the bloat. I want Pokémon to be good again.
>>
>>382250960

Oh thank god we have Gentleman Genius, Anon on the case of why it's simply Nostalgia that has made people question the quality of new releases.

New Star Wars films focusing more on spectacle above anything else? NOSTALGIA.

Spyro being made into a soulless husk designed to drain parents of their money to buy plastic toys for their children? NOSTALGIA.

Ghost Busters being transformed from a buddy-comedy with the sharp humor of actually beloved actors and comedians to a lowest-common denominator genderbents schlockfest ?
NOSTALGIA.

Duke Nukem Forever? It's not the fact that the game went through development hell and that it could never measure up to 3D! It's NOSTALGIA.

Resident Evil past 4?
NOSTALGIA.

Final Fantasy?
NOSTALGIA.

Pirates of The Caribbean?
Dead Space?
Halo?
The Elder Scrolls?
Ninja Gaiden?

YOU SEE? It's not questionable changes that are at fault, it's just YOU dear player / viewer! You are at fault!

Why didn't I see this before -- my third eye has been opened!
You are dumber than a sack of turds, Anon, and you actively contribute to watering down any discussion with your platitudes, and cliché bullshit
>>
>>382253172
This.
>>
>>382252967
But the thing is that pokemon just followed the natural changes of games, just as Zelda did. Seeing as how they kept bulking up the main storyline, this is likely what they were planning on the franchise being since the start, they just didn't have the technological capability to enable it.

And let's be real, Zelda 1 and 2 aren't good.
>>
>>382247129
>Sinnoh
>soulless
You must be the soulplayer fetishist of the derailed shit thread of yesterday; You have no idea of what a soul is, fuck off.
>>
>>382242021
Gamefreak's inability to stray from the mindset of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so the games all have the same kind of pattern (S/M mix it up in a good way at least).
Also failure to really deliver on a solid post game for the past 2 gens and extremely poor event planning
>>
>>382253172
we aren´t talking about star wars though
>>
>>382254021

It was just an example of where "nostalgia" has been used to excuse away legitimate issues.
>>
Natures.
>>
>>382254174
Not everything is black and white anon.
>>
File: 1496892660934.jpg (56KB, 355x334px) Image search: [Google]
1496892660934.jpg
56KB, 355x334px
>>382253557
Mate. Never insult the first two Zeldas. They classics. I will let this slide because you are young and still fill of promise. Don't let me see you slip again.

Also: I'm so fucking glad for tech forcing devs to get creative back in the day. Now it's all graphix and cutscenes as if that somehow would have made pong or pac-man better.
>>
>>382254174
>have to explain by examples
don´t get surprised if people call you reatrd
>>
>gen 1

>a bunch of archetypal monsters with a coherent design based off of actual real animals and plants

>everything else

>LOL LOOK AT ALL THESE RANDOM LINES AND SHAPES DUDE SO EVOLVED
>>
>>382254479
>reatrd

How's that extra chromosome working out for you? I bet your parents are proud.
>>
>>382254479

>Explaining people's displeasure by blaming nostalgia.

Hello retard.
>>
First of all: >>>/vp/
This is a thread about pokemon that doesn't meet some sort of specific circumstance that justifies it on this thread

Second: Pokemon is too fucking easy until the very end when it becomes a grind fest.
>>
>>382254613

We aren't discussing monster design you fagtard. Take a second and actually read the thread, and you'd know most Anons are talking about game design.
>>
>>382242021
I think the animefication of the series only brought the bad aspects of animes (ie slice of life shit, waifus) and not the good aspects (battle realism, more degrees of freedom)
>>
>>382254465
Why not? Why am I not allowed to critically analyze the first 2 Zelda games? They're not good anon.
>>
>>382254940

People have been clamoring for an alternate difficulty mode since its very limited inclusion in BW, so yeah, it'd get my vote.
>>
>>382242021
>FRLG
>gen 1

>HGSS
>gen2

>ORAS
>gen 3

Was this pic made by a retard who doesn't know how gens work?
>>
File: 109Koffingolder.png (319KB, 534x545px) Image search: [Google]
109Koffingolder.png
319KB, 534x545px
>>382254613
>based off of actual real animals and plants
Why do people always say this?
>inb4 they don't count because I like them
>>
>>382254660
>>382254794
Eppur si muove ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>382253172

Real shit, the first Pirates movie was pretty fantastic.
>>
>>382255250

No u.
>>
>>382255250

Now this is some high tier discourse.
>>
>>382242021
You got older. Kids still love it
>>
>>382255210

Koffing is based on a popular visual representation of certain types of viral cells.
>>
>>382243681
they're fat milf tiddies
>>
>>382255843

I really don't think children's taste should be the sole determining factor in quality and analysing what could be done better.
I played a lot of games as a child which in hindsight were kinda trash.

Shouldn't it still matter that I enjoyed it as a child but could see its faults later, and I want to see it improve?
>>
>>382242732

Straight shota is pure.
I wish there were more doujin and manga about it. Can barely find any good ones, sadly.
>>
File: sotc.jpg (34KB, 800x508px) Image search: [Google]
sotc.jpg
34KB, 800x508px
>>382252967

I want that "Oh shit" feeling I got when I when I saw a Pokemon I had never seen before, or when I went into the ruins of alph, or the burned tower.

You know what other game gave me an experience kind of like that?
>>
File: OVerall.png (131KB, 1752x2029px) Image search: [Google]
OVerall.png
131KB, 1752x2029px
>>382242021
Gen IV was the shark jumping moment.
But a brief miracle did happen in 5.5
>>
>>382242021
They ran our of animals/plants to just paste fireballs on or some or some equally dumb shit
>>
File: rank.png (1MB, 1086x1142px) Image search: [Google]
rank.png
1MB, 1086x1142px
BW was a big dud, but Gen 5 was redeemed by BW2. XY began the true dark age of Pokémon.
>>
>>382242021
It was never good in the first place.
>>
>>382242021
So the generation cycle is 3-4 years? So 2019 or 2020 is when we will see the new Pokemon. I always love seeing what they come up with.
>>
>>382257014
Black and White wasn't very good but it was leagues above X and Y
>>
File: Pokemon-Black-and-White.jpg (316KB, 1200x986px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-Black-and-White.jpg
316KB, 1200x986px
They're too afraid to try new experimental things because whenever they do, the fans start screaming at them to do it like the old days.

>>382257014
>>382256950
>>382257361

I really can't wrap my head around why people don't like B/W. It's my favorite of the mainline games for a lot of reasons.
>>
>>382257530
Because it's a plot-focused game with somewhat lackluster level design and no postgame content.

Essentially, BW's problems are the same as SM's, but to a smaller extent. At least in BW I can still enjoy some of the dungeons, in SM I just get mad.
>>
>>382257530
Mostly I can't forgive the bullshit Kojima-level writing. Although after X/Y and S/M I realize that it can be much worse.

Still one shouldn't forgive something bad just because something else is worse.
>>
>>382257763

Well, I liked the manga so maybe that's why it was easy to get into. Also, I never quite got the "circle" complaint. Every game has a predetermined path for you to take, save for a couple of instances where you can swap the positions of one to two towns. I kinda appreciated Unova being up front with you.

>>382257995

Apart from N's backstory, I don't know what you mean by Kojima-level. The disparity in ideals between Plasma's grunts and the higher ups is actually kinda brilliant when you realize they're literal White Knights fighting for a false cause.
>>
>>382250960
I just want skippable cutscenes and an option to fast forward dialogue ala Persona series.
>>
>>382258435
>"Hey you know that beaten old joke the fans don't stop making about how 'Pokemon are slaves'? Let's make that the entire plot of Gen V."
>>
>>382254382
Black and White is Gen 5, anon.
>>
File: Wishlist.png (450KB, 683x960px) Image search: [Google]
Wishlist.png
450KB, 683x960px
>>
>>382244935
Where is this from?
>>
>>382258863

I really dug how they handled that, especially with some of the Plasma members being upset at having to hurt their mons or realizing the inherent contradiction. It made for a great moment in B/W2 when you find the house with a few defects who were helping abandoned or hurt Pokemon.
>>
File: untitled.png (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
8KB, 225x225px
>ywn experience that great gen 2-4 era first time again

Feels kind of sad looking at OP image.
>>
>>382259371
Pokémon Ga-Olé, one of those arcade games that use cards.
>>
>>382257530
Too linear, too much story, too hand holdy.

Expect the new 'mons made it fresh. and dream world was a fun distraction.

S/M is coasting on 3D models and online, while having all those same problems but more so.
>>
>>382260324

Anon, Gen II was terrible and III was only slightly better.

>>382260337

>Hand-holdy

I know some folks didn't like how there were dedicated healers in dungeons but considering how long some got, they were welcome additions.
>>
>>382257530
My only problem with it is its linearity. While the other games at least tried to hide it, BW was literally a straight line from point A to point B.

I liked that it was new Pokemon only as the first play-through forced you to use new things instead of stuff you know worked and liked from the previous games.

I prefer BW2, but BW1 are still good and the most underrated games in the series, IMO.
>>
>>382245226
>In order to get the Silph Scope, you need to clear Team Rocket out of the Silph Co. headquarters.
The Silph Co. smackdown happens later in the game, you get the Silph Scope from the Game Corner hideout.
Clearing Silph Co. offices of Team Rocket is required to access Saffron Gym, since the grunts occupy various doorways around town including the gym. The grunt in front of Silph Co. moves out of the way (falls asleep) after you've rescued Mr. Fuji.

Just a small correction
>>
>>382246184
>Ignoring fans cries for years to make a console/PC iteration.
Those guys have no clue why they even like Pokemon, or alternatively, are fine with Pokemon being just a run-off-the-mill JRPG you play at home in your room on the TV.
>>
>>382256950
OK, so D/P was bad. I bought D/P when it came out, thought maybe I could get into Pokemon again, played it a bit then never again.

I don't ever remember dropping a game I actually bought (not part of a bundle or a gift from some misinformed relative) that fast. Weird, I know.
>>
File: 1476371730477.png (54KB, 214x246px) Image search: [Google]
1476371730477.png
54KB, 214x246px
>>382250979
What's 'epic' about Pokemon stories?
>>
>>382255210
or geoography

that dude is clearly based off of geysers, an actual thing

or i guess that polygon one was weird wasnt it, it was just an archetype of like a computerized animal

still they were just much more solid and original ideas, the rest were contrived
>>
>>382242732
/sm/ > /ss/
>>
>>382246732
Unfortunately, as cool as the forced gen 5 was, you still had Swoobat, Roggenrola (with sturdy no less) and Basculin to replace the shitters from gen 1.
They coulda done more
>>
>>382262890
Generally the whole "stop the villains from destroying the world plot" It was okay in Gen III (You didn't have to catch the box legendary and in Emerald, going after Fug before the Elite Four was option after you woke him to stop the legendaries) and Gen IV (where you didn't need to catch Dialga or Palkia and could even run away from Giratina) but starting from Gen V the concept of your character being the chosen one was introduced and box legendary started becoming mandatory (B2W2 being the exception) and Gen VI and VII started taking those too far (the mandatory legendaries now have increased catch rates and you don't have the excuse of filling all the PC boxes anymore)
>>
File: 035.png (172KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
035.png
172KB, 475x475px
>>382263039
>geyser
Not getting it, for me Koffin is more like a meteorite, but poisonous.
>an actual thing
Just like pretty much every pokemon in existence, you can argue about not liking newer designs, but the concepts in general haven't changed that much. And at the same time, I don't see why they should limit themselves on creating monsters based on real things, or how that makes them original in any way.
>>
>>382242021
3D. Gen 5 was the last good gen.
>>
>>382242069
/thread
>>
>>382250881

Not even we like I.Vs. We've been begging for their removal since they were known of.
>>
>>382263619
Strip away the 'chosen one of the mythical dragon of truth/ideals' part of B/W's plot (hell, the idea that you're somehow super special for that is instantly undermined by the fact that the other chosen guy is just a kid brainwashed from early age to believe in Plasma's goals REALLY HARD) and BW are essentially a retelling of gen 1's plot. And that's why I like it. You go out there into the wide world, experience some shit and in the climax you beat up another faggot who did the same but couldn't see the forest for the trees.
>>
>>382264296
I guess it's, as I mentioned, taken too far in later games.
In fact, in B/W itself, it's kinda hard to strip away that part of the plot since it's one of few games to overshadow the Elite Four/Champion battle thing: The climax of the game is focused on the Plasma plotline and challenging Alder is post-game.
>>
>>382247129
sun is nothing different the trails was shit and boring the only good thing about the games now is playing competitive with a faggot that does not use legends
>>
>>382264623
>it's one of few games to overshadow the Elite Four/Champion battle thing: The climax of the game is focused on the Plasma plotline and challenging Alder is post-game.
At the time you challenge N in Plasma's castle, he is the rightful Pokemon League Champion of Unova. Alder was just there to job to him, which honestly worked for me to up the ante for the climax. (It wouldn't really have worked to not have a previous Champion like in the first games, anyway.)
>>
>>382265226
But by the time you actually faced him, it was about preventing him from forcing Unova to release their Pokemon/prove who's ideals/truths are correct or whatever. And immediately after you beat him, you battle Ghetsis.
Though you do have a point, in a clever way.
(I should also note that I'm not trying to complain about the endgame, just explaining why B/W felt 'epic')
>>
hey if you niggers wanna buy some 5iv pokes hit your boy up
>>
>>382242021
GEN 4 at first, but Plat redeemed Diamond and Pearl. HGSS was great and White/Black 2 are some of the best.

I'd say X and Y onward because they were trash and so was ORAS and Sun/Moon.
>>
>>382262890
It's not that is "Epic" is that they're trying to hard to be epic, the whole "Look trainer, the legendary has chosen you to stop the bad guy" and how grand the evil team plans are, not to mention all the big lore they are creating with the infinite energy and shit that will never go anywhere. Maybe my problem is not that is "Epic", is that they never go all the way, gen 3 had the right idea by making it rain when the Legendaries where unleashed, but for the rest of the games all those world dominating plots felt like getting on the way of the gyms, and not in a "Team rocket is messing up the city and blocking the entrance of the gym way", why do I care about Lusamine, if the UB where quickly dispatched by the kahunas?
>>
Nothing really ruined it. All the old games are there to play and the newer ones are the same baseline formula with changes depending on technology and design choice.
Only games with an active online component that you can't legally go back to, like MMOs, can be ruined.
>>
File: 1498419442803.png (198KB, 480x363px) Image search: [Google]
1498419442803.png
198KB, 480x363px
>>382265629
>But by the time you actually faced him, it was about preventing him from forcing Unova to release their Pokemon/prove who's ideals/truths are correct or whatever.
It was pretty much never about that, though. By this point in the story it's painfully obvious to everyone except N that Plasma just wants to take over Unova. You go and defeat N to both put a stop to the villainous team's plot and become Champion yourself in one fell swoop.
>And immediately after you beat him, you battle Ghetsis.
Probably my favourite part of the climax right there. Ghetsis shows up and berates N (kinda like Blue and Prof. Oak, eh?) and then the old guy turns to you and fights you himself while continuing to drop some choice truth bombs. Everything that seemed 'epic' about the clash between you and N was just careful planning on Ghetsis' part, both to manipulate N and the legendary dragons, and to make a big show of it for the masses of Unova so they'd place their trust in 'King N'.

Fuck, I just like gen 5.
1/2
>>
2/2
>>382265765
>big lore
>infinity energy
Strange example, I think. Infinity Energy was explained in the game as a fancy corporate name for what's essentially Pokemon life force harvested straight from the source. It was a plot point for Delta Episode, the background of Sea Mauville and tied ORAS slightly into XY, but what's epic about that?
I dunno, I don't really agree with the idea that the main story really forces on you some role as a chosen one of the legendary Pokemon, that happens *once* in gen 5, although admittedly it's happened numerous times outside the main story, like when Suicune basically throws itself at you in HGSS as Eusine puts it, or the musketeers showing up midway through B2W2. Other times it's because of circumstances forcing the hand of the Pokemon (Dialga/Palkia entrust you to calm them down after Cyrus drags them out into Sinnoh, Yveltal/Xerneas prefer to get caught by you than sit down and be used by Team Flare, Tapu Koko is a battle junkie who gives you the Z-ring so you can battle it later.
>why do I care about Lusamine
This is one point I agree with, there's not much motivation for you to bother with her besides wanting to help Lillie's family (and a lot of players probably aren't interested in that).
>>
>>382250960
this dumshit response. you know, you can go back and play the games and see how they stack up against the modern ones? also, games in general and most franchises do not carry a general trend upward in quality. there was a formula, they only slightly adapted it over time, but eventually it just took too many steps in the wrong direction. i mean is preferring WW2 CoD to flying-dubstep-420blazeit-dew-ops also simply nostalgia?
>>
>>382242021
Any game beyond BW2

/thread
>>382242347
ask me how I know you're american
>>
File: 1496887351466.gif (105KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1496887351466.gif
105KB, 500x700px
>>382242021
too many pokemon
>>
>>382256769
>I want that "Oh shit" feeling I got when I when I saw a Pokemon I had never seen before
Guess what, they did that with B/W and it was hared for it.
>>
>>382265765
Ya, things went from a group of organized criminals attempting to run things to lofty shit about gods and religious cults and flooding the planet.
>>
>>382242021
everything after pokemon stadium, up to gen 3

that whole swath of soulless shovelware, starring the shitheap known as gen 2, was really unpalatable
>>
>>382268261
He's crushed underneath a truck?
>>
File: 1460152194359.jpg (17KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1460152194359.jpg
17KB, 384x313px
>all these nostalgiafags

Gens 4 and 5 were the best, gens 6 and 7 were a step down. Doesn't mean the series is dead. In fact, it's selling the best it has since Gen 3. With a Switch game coming up, I'd say things are looking good.

Honestly depends on how good USUM is though.
>>
File: 1496964735024.png (773KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496964735024.png
773KB, 1280x720px
>>382268325
>implying that's a problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMFFfsXLlbA
>>
>>382268216
Well I exaggerated by calling them "epic" I just meant that the number of cutscenes have increased dramatically and that the plot goes into stop the world from destruction instead of become the champion and explore the world.
I love me some BW and I think that the climax being in the League is the best plot in the series, I just wish that the plot complemented the main objective even more, or even change the main objective to match the plot. I just wish that some game started with the professor saying "Hey trainer and rival, there's a legendary pokemon out there, why don't you try to catch it?" then you find out that some asshole is trying to get it too for some reason, that way more connected than catching it just because the evil team put it in front of you and you would be a better trainer than them.
>>
>>382245262
I bet you use models, sprites, and animations interchangeably too

Pokemon is fine OP, stop being such a cynical autist
>>
>>382246184
>fans cries for a PC iteration
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>382244626
>Why are we still getting a tutorial at the begining? Everyone knows how to fucking work this game!

dont play sun/moon. you will go insane.
>>
>>382246976
Honestly you have to be a special kind of retarded to think this is an issue. If they dropped gen 1 almost entirely you'd be whining about "shitty forced new pokemon"
>>
>>382242021
Why did X and Y not get the Black 2/Ultra Sun treatment?
>>
>>382270735
Because they just didn't feel like doing it for XY. Kalos really needed it tho.
>>
Nothing, SM was probably one of the best pokemon games ever.
I started with gen 1 and have a bias towards gen 3.
>>
File: map design.png (1MB, 978x1450px) Image search: [Google]
map design.png
1MB, 978x1450px
>>382273721
Shut up nigger. SM is a terribly watered down game with the worst level design and story yet. There is literally nothing good about it besides the graphical improvements.
>>
>>382274189
>besides the graphical improvements
>when the battles and models look like ass
>>
>>382242369
Every single problem with X and Y was directly catalyzed by a problem with Black and White. If any game truly marked the series's death, it would be those two.
>>
>>382274189
>and story
You've got to be joking. It's probably the best story the series has ever had, though that's not exactly saying much when gens 1 and 2 didn't have stories and 3-6 are "I'm going to destroy the world with the power of the box legendary".
Outside of ANOTHER fire starter that fights the pokemon are excellent as well.
>>
>>382274690
But B/W were good games.
>>
>>382242069
then why every single game that comes out sell so much?
>>
>>382274893
>1 and 2 didn't have stories
This is exactly why they are good. Narrative has no place in Pokémon. Stop acting like story is an automatic plus, because it's not, especially not when it's extremely prominent like in SM.
>>
>>382246732
>They added a ton of pokémon and you used them exclusively until the end of the game
And every single one of them that isn't a bug-type is abysmal in terms of either design or in gameplay, with many if not most being awful in both like the monkeys and the starters.

>and the gen 1 references were done a bit more tastefully [in SM, compared to XY]
The fuck? XY at least acknowledged Pokémon from newer games with its gimmicks. SM almost purely references Gen 1. If you're that triggered by Charizard in XY I don't see why you're okay with it being the Fly slut in SM despite Charizard not even appearing in the dex.

>for every shit pokémon in one gen there's another in each of the rest
There are more shit Pokémon in Gen 5 than there are Pokémon in Gen 7. Those numbers don't add up.
>>
>>382275105
>Stop acting like story is an automatic plus,
who the fuck ever said that?

>>382274189 was saying it had the worst story, they're wrong.
>>
>>382275105
The only gen that lacks a coherent narrative is gen 2.
>>
File: 1471817325869.png (508KB, 742x536px) Image search: [Google]
1471817325869.png
508KB, 742x536px
>>382242021
Moving to 3D. Causes smaller areas and worse level design. Looks bad too in my opinion.
>>
>>382275520
Oh and it causes less new pokemon too.
>>
>>382275312
None of the dialogue in SM is well-written, interesting or charming. It's just extremely abundant, so that makes you come off as appreciating the story for the sake of it.
>>
>>382247129
>also the only game that drastically tries to break away from the same old formula of the games
Only barely, and it failed pretty badly at that too. Trials were even easier than gym battles as well as being fewer in number, having two half-assed evil teams isn't any more of a departure than it was in 3, and the soap opera surrounding Lillie was even more cringeworthy and horribly written than N and Ghetsis.
>>
File: fb-3ds-400x400.jpg (80KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
fb-3ds-400x400.jpg
80KB, 400x400px
>>382242021
>What actually ruined Pokémon?
>>
>>382257530
>sacrifice literally everything that made older games fun for more than the main story for a plot and a completely new cast of monsters
>plot is literally fucking fire emblem fates
>monsters are the worst in the series
Gee I wonder why people dislike it. Literally the only good thing about Gen 5 is the protagonist designs. THEY MANAGED TO FUCK UP DIFFICULTY OPTIONS HOW DO YOU EVEN DO THAT
>>
>>382247129
>and while its not all there its a big step in the right direction.
No, what they did different turned out to be boring, repetitive, and involved taking away elements of gameplay choices that made this franchise liked by so many in the first place. That is definitely not a "step in the right direction."
>>
>>382242021
Gen 3

/thread
>>
File: ghosts.gif (1MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ghosts.gif
1MB, 500x500px
>>382242021
The fans. the fanbase is a bunch of nostalgiafags that think shit like blaziken or lucario are good designs. If you make something with any sort of creativity that isn't a dog/cat/fox or a starter/legendary they'll probably think it's shit. BW and B2W2 were the golden era, there was the dumb anime bullshit plots but the region and games themselves were quality. I fucking loved that in BW you couldn't catch any older pokemon at all until the postgame. The fanbase being the size it is means the majority is normalfags with shit taste.

Also ghost is best type.
>>
Black&White was almost a decent JRPG, and 2 was the apex

Then they went back to step 0 with X&Y and kept that level of handholding through sun&moon which actually was a functional JRPG aside from the fact that it's complete baby mode nostalgia pandering shit
>>
File: Pokemon Remakes.png (1022KB, 1564x2925px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Remakes.png
1022KB, 1564x2925px
If I had to give a legitimate reason, I'd say the possibly the second director shift.
I actually didn't give much thought about why Pokemon is like it is now until someone from /vp/ posted this.
>>
File: my bed now.gif (172KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
my bed now.gif
172KB, 240x160px
>there exists people that think GSC was better then RSE
How? GSC had a shitty selection of pokemon often placing the same handhold gen 1 pokemon in the same spots and the new pokemon in rare obscure spots, a fucking atrocious level curve, reused team rocket, , and johto in general was small and boring. RSE were so much better.
>>
You did, Op, it's all your fault.
>>
>>382242021
>gen 1
Baseline. Good.
>gen 2
Added small but essential mechanics. Still Good.
>gen 3
Greatly improved game play but started a shift in monster design. Okay then Good.
>gen 4
Horrible monster design and added nothing to major to game play. Okay then good.
>gen 5
Worse monster design but fresh due to the restricted pokedex. Good then great.
>gen 6
Abandoned the long time fans to appeal to casuals. Bad.
>gen 7
Blatantly for children. Trash.

3rd gen was my personal turning point, but I'd say 6 played a larger role in the decline.
Pokemon was at its peak on the DS.

>>382277724
Gen 2 is better due to atmosphere. Night, daily events, two regions, and a traditional Japanese theme. 3rd gen had a better battling mechanics, but everything else was dreadfully boring.
>>
>>382242021
Nothing. The series is better than ever. Your retarded cynic ass doesn't get any say in the matter.
>>
>>382277203
Thanks for that it was a good read. I prefer original games to remakes for all gaming even if I still do like the remakes. I just feel that the original was well, the original you know? So its like a respect thing for me. In most cases it is what gets me into a series in the first place anyways.

Wow though they really became jews with that gen 3 remake..
>>
File: 1497249601309.jpg (88KB, 419x580px) Image search: [Google]
1497249601309.jpg
88KB, 419x580px
>>382277082
Black and White would have been amazing if not for the whole linear forced plot bullshit. Like, I get it, it's a jrpg, we need a plot and badguys and reasons to fight and shit, but Jesus christ. Tone down the blah-blah-blah of thsee dumbass characters. Give me the background and the lore but let me explore at my own pace. Let me get lost. Let me be challenged. It's okay. Kids beat and loved NES games. Kids loved Red and Blue.

Kids and adults would appreciate a more open world and more freedom to do what we want within the confines of a plot no one really cares about, or at least no one feels should be a priority.

This is my Pokémon journey. Let me write it my way. Fuck your blatant roadblock NPC standing there "dancing" until I trigger some cutscene. FUCK YOUR CUTSCENE. as if I give a shit about your middle school tier writing.
>>
>>382255094
They are good though, they're just not on the same level as the N64 games. They (save for one mandatory puzzle) aren't at all random and have really well thought out design.
>>
>>382243681
you must not read ss i take it.
>>
I've never understood why people like BW2, they're mediocre at best.
>>
File: chad_warden_come_on.gif (3MB, 320x214px) Image search: [Google]
chad_warden_come_on.gif
3MB, 320x214px
>>382256950
>only two installments with an actual plot are below "good"
>>
>>382280807
Black/White are my favourites. I get why most people prefer B2/W2 (old monsters added to regional dex with more choice than ever before, Unova expanded with several new areas, added optional content like World Tournament) but I don't agree with it.
>>
>>382280807
Same, I liked BW way better and considered BW2 the beginning of the end for the series.
>>
>>382280807
Postgame makes or breaks Pokémon.
>>
>>382242021
The sixth generation, but then improved with the seventh generation
>>
>>382281680
>Postgame makes or breaks Pokémon.
Is this a compfag thing or something, I've never understood it.
>>
File: froakie.png (31KB, 212x204px) Image search: [Google]
froakie.png
31KB, 212x204px
>>382259268
>1
>2
Literally not happening. The reason this happens is because the models are way too HQ for the 3DS. Besides, they've never changed the engines mid-generation.
>3
I'm confident that this will be the case. Specially since it's not a sequel.
>4
Not happening mid-gen.
>6
>he wants framerate drops in the overworld
>7
If anything we'll get the exact same ones, plus added ones.
>8
Because Genwun pandering just made them over 1 gorillion dollars with Pokémon GO.
>9
They said there'll be more Pokémon roaming Alola.
>10
I have no fucking clue why they dropped these.
>11
Word.
>12
Fucking Anti-Lilliefag.
>13
Fucking Haufag.
>>
>>382279278
Stupid fanboy. Even fans are allowed to point out flaws. I've bought every mainline game. Don't tell me these games are perfect.

As a lover of Pokémon, I know what I want from the games. If I don't get what I want, I stop buying. This is simple. Just look at sales. Numbers don't lie.
>>
>>382282060
>It will never happen.

I'm not him but it's a fucking WISHlist you utter fucking retard. Do you not understand what wish means? Is it too difficult of a fucking concept for your tiny frogposting brain? God damn roach.
>>
File: wojak_4.jpg (35KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
wojak_4.jpg
35KB, 300x360px
>>382260324
>tfw you'll never play Diamond and Platinum for the first time ever again
I know these are from the most hated Gen by fans, but when you play these as a kid and not as an autistic manchild with a magnifying glass, they're beautiful.

>also tfw you'll live long enough to see Gen 4 remade in HD
>>
File: 1476741456155.jpg (5KB, 191x184px) Image search: [Google]
1476741456155.jpg
5KB, 191x184px
>>382282408
Jeez, chill. Why are you so mad?
There's no point in wishing something that will never happen no matter what.
>>
File: 1498609917345.jpg (21KB, 229x343px) Image search: [Google]
1498609917345.jpg
21KB, 229x343px
>>382282671
I'm trying to get the message into your thick fucking skull but there's nothing fucking in there. You tiny fucking dickless brainless autist. It's a very fucking simple idea but you spergs show up every fucking time someone posts that shit. I don't even fucking agree with most of the posters shit, your kind is lower than dirt in a puddle of a termite's diarrhea. Kill yourself. Can you read that? End your life, stop your existence, commit suicide. Don't even bother writing a suicide note because no one will read it. You are autistic. You have no soul. Kill yourself.
>>
I'll come back to it when my dudes can follow me around again like in the best games HG/SS.
>Ok, let's make a great feature and then not include it in the next one!
Honestly surprised that clothing was still a thing in S/M.
>>
>>382278617
>and added nothing to major to game play.

As a guy that never played any pokemon game after the third gen this is false. Gen 4 added the most important new addition to the gameplay and that is the physical/special despite the type attacks. Before that you had an attack like bite scaling off of the special attack stat simply because dark is considered a special type.
>>
File: jpg.jpg (2KB, 125x106px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
2KB, 125x106px
>>382242021

It was never ruined, but it's obvious that gamefreak have been pulling their punches. Always doing just barely enough to tread water.

They add features, then take them away. One step forward, one step back.Not to mention the fact that they never pushed the story to anywhere near the depth of the TV show or movies; no side quests, or any quests beyond what was already in Gen1.

I know I shouldn't be getting excited anymore, but I'm hype for the switch version that's currently being developed. If they take some cues from Breath of the Wild and add sidequests, or the Yugioh Tag Force series and add partners you can dual-battle and travel with (or even companions like the show), it would be a much better game.
>>
>>382242021
It was always like that. Every single game is the exact same. Anyone who claims that any generation is better than another is completely blinded by their own personal biases.
>>
>>382242732
>>382280571
why the fuck do I like this shit so much!?
>>
The transition from 2d to 3d they honestly needed about a year or two to develop the game. So they could learn to actually use the tech instead of half-assing it like they did with gen 6.

Yearly releases, gen 1 pandering, and removing features.
>>
Are there any good romhacks of BW2?
Or is the challenge mode good enough?

I've never played it and want to, but I need something a bit more than the default difficulty in these games.
>>
>>382284390
From a game design standpoint, Gold/Silver/Crystal are absolutely the worst JRPGs out of the series. The level progression is totally fucked, making you overleveled on numerous occasions, and for a monster collecting RPG they sure like throwing the old & boring gen 1 monsters at you a lot while hiding the new ones in out-of-the-way places, behind obscure evolution methods or just straight up dumping them in the last quarter of the game (Kanto).
>>
>>382285083
The challenge mode does make important story NPCs a good deal tougher, but depending on how much experience you have with the series it might still not be enough. I hear BlazeBlack/VoltWhite and BlazeBlack2/VoltWhite2 are pretty competent gen 5 romhacks, though I've yet to try them myself.
>>
>>382279623
Even though Gen 5 was the beginning where Gamefreak really started to focus on plot, at leas I could mash through it and the game actually lets you play the game for a while before it forces more exposition on you. Gen 6, and especially Gen 7 had the issue of lengthly dialogue sessions that let you transisiton into the next area with even more lengthly dialogue sessions.
>>
>>382281979
you're actually retarded if you cant understand why people like postgame content, especially in RPGs.
>>
>>382285342
Alright thanks.

I'll give those romhacks a look too. I just hope that they aren't like most pokemon romhacks where they give all of the trainers perfect IV teams of six and fucked up level curves so you're underleved.
XY and ORAS had plenty of these and they were all awful.
>>
>>382285609
Well good thing I didn't say that. I usually love post-game/NG+ stuff, it's just that it's never been that much of a factor in Pokemon games and I never really understood why people cared about it that much.
>>
>>382285621
Nah, Drayano's hacks (the guy who made the romhacks you are about to play) are a middle ground, where you can still use whatever combination of pokemon you want to use, but you need at least a bit of thought and brain power to get past them. He also does changes for shitmons to make them much more viable and fun to play like expanding on their movepool, boosting their base stat total or even adding a typing. Like for example, Farfetch'd is an absolute beast in his romhacks, but if you don't want pokemon changes, there is a vanilla patch version of it where all the pokemon follow the same rules as the standard game.
>>
I still enjoy every pokemon game even if it's just to compare them to previous entries by now.

However, my heart still feels all fuzzy when I see the old Sugimori watercolour art.
Exactly how I would imagine fantasy creatures to look like
Thread posts: 271
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.