[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best God of War game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: god-of-war-intro.jpg (447KB, 1201x873px) Image search: [Google]
god-of-war-intro.jpg
447KB, 1201x873px
What is the best God of War game?
>>
2 is probably my favorite but they are all good except for Ascension which is garbage. Ascension's multiplayer might of been fun but I was so burned by the end of the campaign I never bothered with it.
>>
God of War 2018
>>
>>382228534
God of War:

My Wife's Son
>>
>>382227827
3>2>ascension>1
I haven't played the PSP ones
>>
The second one is best overall, but I really like the sense of adventure in the first game.
>>
>>382228534
This. Everyone will jerk off over it next year and you know it. Especially once someone spoils the fact that the kid is actually Loki
>>
>>382228373
What was wrong with Ascension? I hear this a lot from GOW fans that it was a disappointment but there's never an explanation why
>>
>>382229247
Aesthic wasn't as cool, gay bugs.
>>
>>382228373
Multiplayer was cool if you enjoy getting angry like me
>>
>>382228612
Normie.
>>
2>Ghost of sparta > 3> 1 > chAin of olympus > ascencion.

Story of 3 and ascencion suck ass tought.
>>
>>382227827
Ranking the ones I played
2>3>1>Chains of Olympus

Still have Ghost of Sparta as part of the Saga collection but haven't got round to it
>>
>>382228673
>Especially once someone spoils the fact that the kid is actually Loki

why do you say that? I'm not well versed in chinese mythology so I want to hear your reasons for thinking that
>>
>>382232817
>chinese mythology

It's actually Norse.
>>
>>382229247
The combat is the main issue with no side weapons and different color chains. story, setting, and villians, bosses, enemy designs, and level design are all a huge step back as well. At best the game is barely an uninteresting mediocre shell of what a gow game should be.

Forgot entirely about the music so it might still be good but the only thing the game has for it besides that is the graphics were nice when it was released
>>
>>382228612
>>382232617
>>382232698
>3 higher than 1
What?
Correct: 2>1>>>3>Ascension
>>
>>382227827
GoW is shit
>>
>>382229247
Combat was an awful unfun mess. All of the flow that made the previous games great was removed
>>
My Wife's Son
>>
2>Ghost of Sparta>3=1>Chains>Ascension

2 is so fucking good it hurts.
>>
>>382227827
>>
You can easily spot the idiots in this thread by looking to the posts that complain about Ascension's combat. Say what you want about the story being unnecessary and technically filler (it is true), but the game is the first GoW game that actually made combat challenging, by making it easier for enemies to get out of combos and making it harder for you to stun lock enemies. It's much more rewarding in Ascension to get a juggling combo, because enemies also don't stay in the air as long and it's much harder to actually pull off grabs. It's also the first GoW that punishes you for trying to parry at the wrong time, becuase you have to commit to a parry, and enemies are much more aggressive.

The tethering mechanic was amazing in this, an improvement over GoW 3's, and they added another attack button with circle, which lets you attack either with punches or with the grabbed weapons, which is another new thing.

Complaining about the lack of secondary weapons is stupid in two ways: first, because each god magic you unlock is mapped to a direction button and they essentially change the finisher moves of your combos, both visually (animations are different) and mechanically. Ares has more stun lock powers and the moves hit wider areas; Hades is slower and attachs to ground, it's also easier to juggle with it; Zeus is quicker, the animations looks faster and you can dodge away in a much faster manner as well as leave electric puddles; and Poseidon's is closer to GoW 2's moveset. On top of that, you can literally grab 5 weapons from enemies at any time. They have their own movesets which you can combo to or from and they last forever, with the exception being the spear, which has limited use.

Another thing people complain is that the game "locks moves" behind a rage meter, which is a non-situation. You have 20+ moves and two of them are locked. Literally TWO. How do you unlock them? By keeping your combo going. They are stronger moves and are a reward for playing well.
>>
>>382234735
doesn't GoS have too many QTEs even for a GoW game?
>>
>>382227827
which were the best boss fights of the franchise?
>>
I liked Ghost of Sparta the best, it had the most relatable Kratos.
>>
>>382236447
This guy gets it
Maxing the meter and blasting everything around you with firey explosions was extremely satisfying
>>
>>382236517
Hercules, GoW2 Zeus and Sisters of Fate are my favourites
>>
>>382236447

To finish this GoW Ascension rant of mine, the boss battles are fewer than 3 and 2, but they are some of the best in the series.

The infected Hecathonchires intro, the two Furies at once, Castor (near the Oracle of Delphi), the last boss fight which is a Kraken version of a Fury + the illusion Fury are all amazing. I dare anyone to complain about these, while they're praising GoW 2 or 3's boss fights.

The game's puzzles are also the hardest in the series (they've rarely been hard in the past) and use the Oracle amulet that decays or heals objects in clever ways.

Level design is top notch, with the road to Delphi and statue of Apollo being the highlights.

Overall, I'd still rank Ascension below the three mainline GoW games, for the lower stakes and the filler story, but I was getting crazy seeing people put even the worst PSP GoW (Chains of Olympus) above it. I think some of you are letting your fatigue of the series cloud your vision and prevent you from properly analyzing the game.
>>
>>382236517

Hercules (GoW 3), Poseidon (GoW 3) Sisters of Fate (GoW 2), the trial of Hades creature (GoW 1), Thanatos (Ghost of Sparta), Castor (Ascension) and the final Furies battle (Ascension).
>>
>>382227827
no one
>>
How hyped were you when you started GoW 3 and realized they weren't going to chicken out from the battle with the Olympian Gods that they teased at the end of GoW 2?

I was sure they'd find a way of making Kratos only fight one of them this time, just to make more GoW games, but the mad man a tually killed every single one of them.

I was hard as a diamond when the narrator said at the beginning movie:

>Before the age of the twilight set upon the gods, a legend rose to take his place among them. And even though Kratos sat on the throne as the new God of War, he was haunted by visions of his family - a family he himself murdered. But the Hands of Death could not defeat him. The Sisters of Fate could not control him. And on this day, the man, the legend, Kratos, will have his revenge.
>>
Guys please

It goes like this

3>2>GOS>1>A>COO
>>
>>382237348
Agreed, they're all great games and it's hard to pick a best one
>>
Lads please

2>1>3>GOS>A>COO
>>
>>382227827
Played only the home console versions so I'll rate:
GoW2:
>great combat
>great story
>awesome settings
>boss fights
>enemy variety

GoW1:
>fun casual combat
>good story
>ambitious for its time
>bad ass protagonist
>lore
>exploration

GoW3:
>epic battles
>pretty good boss fights
>satisfying finishers
>interesting game mechanics

GoW Ascension:
>decent MP mode
>actually hard puzzles that are rewarding
That's all I could think of for Ascension, it was a complete let down desu.
>>
>>382237114
This. Ascension did bad because they messed up combos with locking moves behind the meter, and also bad advertising. When I played it, I thought it waa going to be like GoS or something, bit was surprised it looked better than a mainline title. The camera angles really are horrible early on though. Puzzles were fun, loved that final trials - beat it on the hardest difficulty in one sitting before they nerfed it.

See, I love GoW because its harder than a mashing game like ASsassins Creed or Batman, but easier than DMC. DMC is a bit too much for me, but I like you can make simple combos in GoW. Really sad to see where the series is going. I really got into these hack and slash games recently, and its sad to see them gone.
>>
>>382239906

Never doubt Cory Barlog, I think you'll be surprised with the amount of comabt in the new GoW.
>>
>>382227827
plebs. This one is the real masterpiece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0V4_IhMTsc&t=65s
>>
>>382237964
David Jaffe really went all out on it.
You can see how he loved this series from all the extras in GoW 1 and 2, from his rants and documentaries about the original Clash of the Gods and all the Harryhausen inspiration.
And what does Sony do?
Turn it into another uninspired third person moviegame.
>>
File: 20170617_193532.jpg (63KB, 240x385px) Image search: [Google]
20170617_193532.jpg
63KB, 240x385px
>tfw you loved Disney Hercules and felt bad when you had to cave his skull in with iron gauntlets in GoW3
>>
>>382241321
But all bosses in GoW3 had gruesome finishers.
Like gouging Poseidons eyes, Hephestus, crippling Hermes while he crawls for his life, Helios decapitation, using that random girl to stop the door which ends up splitting her in half, and others I dont recall too much.
>>
File: 1187923162041.jpg (22KB, 425x406px) Image search: [Google]
1187923162041.jpg
22KB, 425x406px
Why is Kratos able to kill Persephone in Chains of Olympus? She's a god and he's still 100% mortal at that point. Also why is he still having trouble with random mooks in Ghost of Sparta when by then he's become a god himself and should be at max power like he was at the start of God of War 2.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.