[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

which is better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

File: Screenshot_103.png (835KB, 910x405px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_103.png
835KB, 910x405px
which is better?
>>
>>382217856
I wish someone would just combine the two already.
>>
>>382217856
Super Metroid is designed in a way that lets you quickly get to almost anywhere in the map fairly quickly in an organic way. Speed boosts let you break through walls, there are doors that can only be opened from one side, and there are numerous one-way shortcuts. The only way to efficiently travel through SotN is via teleport rooms. This is lazy design (relatively speaking). Both games are my personal top 10, but the level design in Super Metroid is way better.
>>
Super Metroid, and it's not close
>>
>>382217856
I'd go with Super Metroid, but I do crave a good loot based metroidvania again.
>>
>>382217946
This.
Has nobody just gone and made an actual Metroid/Castlevania crossover fangame called Metroidvania yet? It seems so obvious.
>>
>>382217856
Left is literally the right except more complex with levels, stats and gear, also better music.
>>
The entire concept of Metroid is progression via upgrades and expansions. When you aquire an upgrade, it not only improves your combat options but it also improves your ability to traverse the world. The Ice Beam is probably the best example, since it can be used to freeze enemies which either allows you to finish them off easily or utilise their frozen body as a platform. By adding RPG elements to the game, you completely miss the point of Metroid games.

Plus Super Metroid (and Metroid games in general) allow you to get to any point on the map fairly quickly since it has lots of shortcuts. People seem to think that Metroid games are all about backtracking when they're really not; if anything the opposite is true. Metroid games are usually optimised for speed, even if you want to 100% the game you can usually do the clean-up in one round trip fairly smoothly.
>>
File: 1395976768238.gif (2MB, 427x240px) Image search: [Google]
1395976768238.gif
2MB, 427x240px
castlevania.

-getting new weapons to try out that often have secret unique abilities and animations is way more exciting to me than getting ammo increases

-alucard controls like butter. samus controls like a limp balloon

-sotn music is heavenly

-sotn visuals have every area feel very distinct but they all fit with "caste which is a creature of chaos"
metroid visuals are bleak

-metroid may have better level design
and sotn might be too easy to break

but i think sotn is still way better. honestly i can't play super metroid because of samus's control alone
>>
>>382217856
I prefer Super Metroid, it has a much tighter design. SotN throws in everything and the kitchen sink, and makes you go through the whole game again except upside-down. Also Super has the better atmosphere. Only things SotN does better are the controls and music.
>>
>>382217946
A true collaboration between Ninty and Konami named Metroidvania would make my dick explode.
>>
>>382221110
SotN is far too easy to leave any sort of impression on anyone but a 13 year old. It's so simplistic in both exploration and action that there's no point to anything in it, which makes the game one of the worst action/adventure/rpgs and definitely inferior to Super Metroid. Someone on /vr/ once called SotN "footbal versus crippled goths". That's a good description of why SotN, despite its great aesthetics, isn't even good, let alone great.
>>
>>382221580
>A true collaboration between Ninty and Konami
Sounds like a great recipe for a f2p pachinko for the 3ds.
>>
>>382221780
You can literally close your eyes and hold right while swinging and jumping once in a while and you'll still win. I wish there was a mod to make it harder.
>>
SM since it doesn't become a fucking joke once you get the wave sword.
>>
>>382222304
I played it once by changing the max HP variable from whatever it initially is to 1 and letting it grow from there. And before the first fucking boss I already had enough HP to just plough through any group of enemies without having to dodge. Fuck SotN.

I get people who still love it. It's a nice experience. It's pleasant to jsut walk about the castle and feel nostalgic for stuff, try out new swords and shit. But that's closer to what my nieces do in Minecraft than what I want to do in a fucking Castlevania.
>>
>>382217946
What is there to combine? The only thing SotN does better than Super Metroid, and this is still debatable, is the overabundance of items/equipment.
>>
Super and it's not even close.
>>
>>382223320
Controls are definitely better. It's never put to use in the actual game because it's so laughably easy, but SotN and all castleroids do control really well.
>>
>>382223453
>Controls are definitely better.
The skill floor is lower but so is the skill ceiling. Super's controls are excellent.
>>
>>382217856
SOTN, although trying to get it to run at the correct fucking aspect ratio on an emulator infuriates me.
>>
>>382223587
>Super's controls are excellent.
except wall jumping
>>
>>382223667
sotn and super metroid both run at the same resolution bro
>>
>>382223587
SotN's controls feel much better. The game is just more pleasant to play on the basic level as a platformer.
>>
File: Evil_Richter_Belmont.gif (81KB, 332x461px) Image search: [Google]
Evil_Richter_Belmont.gif
81KB, 332x461px
Only a fool wouldn't choose my game anon
>>
>>382223667
What? Just force 4:3. How is that hard?
>>
>>382223702
git gud.

>>382223814
I bet you think ZM controls better than Super too, pleb.

>>382223874
SotN runs at 256x224 stretched (but not scaled) to 4:3, it's very difficult to display accurately without a CRT
>>
>>382223930
if you have to "git gud" at a basic movement function then it's not excellent controls
>>
>>382223976
>wall jumps
>basic movement function
>>
>>382223704
>>382223874
Nah, if you run SOTN at the default 4:3 on an emulator it looks stretched. The game actually renders at 16:15 but it isn't designed to be viewed that way either, some circular objects look properly circular, but the giant clock looks squished. The best solution I've found is to run it at 8:7 in Retroarch, that seems to be roughly how the developers intended it to look but it results in unpleasant pixel-warping.

The PS1 did some really retarded shit with dynamic aspect ratios and games rendering at multiple resolutions that emulators don't seem to be able to replicate. The game looks fine running on actual hardware but on an emulator it's fucked.
>>
>>382224012
mandatory technique to not get permanently stuck in some situations, I would call it basic
>>
>>382224082
It's only mandatory if you already entered a situation which requires some kind of sequence breaking technique (e.g. bomb jump) or if you enter the wall jump tutorial room.
>>
There was a time when I played through SotN once a year or so.

Super Metroid is the only game I ever played that I came as close to 100% as possible, and then hit reset and started a new save immediately and did it all over again. (I got to that last save point that doesn't allow you to go back.) To me, that says a lot about the game's quality.
>>
>>382217856
Super Metroid.
SotN isn't even the best metroidvania. Arguably, it's the worst one. Circle of the moon is waaaay better, same goes for OoE, the two Arias and Portrait.
They are all better than SotN, but SotN was "muh first castlevania" for many people here, so they suck his dick all day long.

Btw, there's no nostalgia goggles in my post since I first played both Super Metroid and SotN when I was 20.
>>
>>382224325
I tried Circle of the Moon once and was put off by the physics. Is it really that good?
>>
>We never got a Castlevania: Dark Souls edition

After Bloodborne i want this so fucking badly
>>
File: The Dark Souls of X.jpg (2MB, 648x5000px) Image search: [Google]
The Dark Souls of X.jpg
2MB, 648x5000px
>>382224490
Go away.
>>
>>382224082
There's only the wall jumping tutorial room that requires it and there's multiple safety nets if you fail during it.
Any other time you require it to reach somewhere, you're sequence breaking.
>>
>>382224490
Castlevania is dead and buried. A surefire way to tell if the franchise is dead forever is that people are throwing money at Kickstarter imitations.
>>
>>382222547
None of the castlevanias are particularly hard games though. They're pretty much just about hilarious spooky japanese dracula adventures.

Which ones do you feel are adequate in difficulty?
>>
+1 super metroid
>>
>>382217946
Hollow Knight?
>>
>>382225589
It's shit.
>>
>>382225619
But it's better than Aria Of Sorrow (which is better than Symphony Of The Night (which is better than any Metroid game))
>>
>>382224082
The walljump is never mandatory at any point in the game. No, not even in the place that teaches you about it.
>>
>>382225706
>kill first boss
>it's shit
>don't get double jump or a new weapon
>never turn the game on

I expect to see some fucking progress in my memvanias.
>>
>>382225880
If you mean the False Knight - it's an optional boss, the first boss is Hornet and defeating her will give you an ability to dash.
>>
>>382225997
Well that's at least something I guess. Might hop back into it.
>>
>>382226101
I completely forgot - you get the first spell (which is crucial to game progressing) right after False Knight. You don't even have to kill him.
>>
File: Cv_aos_agb_rgb.jpg (252KB, 738x738px) Image search: [Google]
Cv_aos_agb_rgb.jpg
252KB, 738x738px
>>382217856
Aria of Sorrow is better than both
>>
>>382226330
I agree >>382225706
>>
>>382223702
You're supposed to hold a direction and THEN press jump.
>>
>>382226412
just ignore him, GBAbbies got brain damage from ZM.
>>
>>382223702
it's super easy tho, only hard thing to do is bomb jumping
>>
>>382225857
you're a retard. there is no IBJ tutorial except the demo screen after beating the game
>>
>>382227359
who said anything about IBJ?
>>
>>382228472
walljumps, ibj, and space jump.

You're telling me you waited THAT long to go check out the walljump tutorial or failed walljumping, reset the game, went to go get space jump, then returned? please dont tell me you did that.....
>>
>>382217856
I just beat SotN and I'm gonna play SM since I need more of this style, but which is the best Classicvania game to play? Should I just start with 1?
>>
>>382230596
Yes, start with the first one on NES. In my opinion, Castlevania: Dracula X is the best Classicvania, though most of them are good.
>>
File: 1494144526752.jpg (31KB, 352x450px) Image search: [Google]
1494144526752.jpg
31KB, 352x450px
>>382221780
>muh difficulty
>>
File: 1479587475927.jpg (2KB, 125x85px) Image search: [Google]
1479587475927.jpg
2KB, 125x85px
>>382231660
>implying difficulty isnt one of the most important aspects of video games
>>
File: lamulana_Boxshot[1].jpg (374KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
lamulana_Boxshot[1].jpg
374KB, 480x600px
>>382217856
This is better than both
>>
>>382232338

is this an image for ants?
>>
Metroid
>>
I love both of them.
>>
>>382232463
Different genres, La Mulana is hardly a metroidvania.
>>
>>382232517
No, its supposed to be difficult to read
>>
>>382232568
La-mulana is as different from Super and SotN as Super and SotN are different from eachother. It's called being a non-derivative game in the same genre.

also
>La-mulana isn't a metroidvania meme
Is this Cave Storyfags bitter that their game isn't considered a Metroidvania so they shit on their only legitimate rival, or Super/SotNfags bitter than La-mulana is a better game in every way that they have to legitimize it by saying "It's not the same genre?" even though SotN and Super Metroid play nearly nothing alike and share few distinct similarities that are all accounted for in La-mulana.
>>
>>382232738
>legitimize
delegitimize*

Oh, or is it the third group, shitposters with nothing better to do?
>>
>>382232738
I don't remember backtracking in La-Mulana, it felt to me like it's a series of different dungeons you have to complete in a specific order, just like in Cave Story. Educate me!
>>
>>382232640
>>
>>382233036
Did you actually play the game? The first area in the game is the only one that you can complete from beginning to end without items from other areas. The rest of the game gives you a choice of areas to explore, none of which you can complete without items from other areas.
>>
>>382233373
I played the MSX version and only completed the first dungeon. Never bothered to play steam version even though my friend gifted it to me
>>
>>382233507
Then you stopped playing right as the game opens up. La Mulana is actually a lot less linear than most other metroidvanias, especially since it often lets you get past obstacles using different combinations of items.
>>
>>382222304
There is though
www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/80-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-hardtype/
>>
>>382225189
It's getting a tv show in 8 days though
>>
>>382233653
I see. Maybe I'll give it another chance if I'll be in the mood - I just don't like Indiana Jones inspired works, even though steam version looks incredibly better than the MSX one.
>>
I played the PSP version of SotN after playing SM multiple times through the years. At first they felt really similar but by the end i think they are hard to compare. I think the spell inputs and multiple characters with different playstyles were really neat things that could never work in a metroid game.
>>
>>382235169
>the PSP version of SotN
you fucked up
>>
>>382226101
You also get triangle jumping in Mantis Village and a Double Jump I can't remember where. I'll admit, item progression is probably slower in Hollow Knight and that the beginning is boring, but I loved it after that. By the end you're doing crazy dashes and even something resembling a Shine Spark
>>
File: lamulana trigger map.png (2MB, 2401x4233px) Image search: [Google]
lamulana trigger map.png
2MB, 2401x4233px
>>382233036
What?
>>
>>382238435
Apparently I just didn't last till the game actually opens
>>
>>382217856
I don't feel like the RPG mechanics added a damn thing to Castlevania, but the map design is great and the amount of bosses for bosses' sake is welcome. Progression is a bit weird because of it.

Super Metroid is great, only downfall I'd say is that there's not much in the way of optional levels or bosses that you see in the genre now.

They're both fantastic, I'd have significant trouble choosing so I'm just going to cop out and not.
>>
I would love Symphony of the Night if it weren't for the RPG elements, and the Inverted Castle.
>>
>>382239561
Inverted Castle is good, actually. My mind was blown the first time I read about in the walkthrough.
>>
File: 1498337543928.png (80KB, 211x244px) Image search: [Google]
1498337543928.png
80KB, 211x244px
>>382224648
>SMT is the dark souls of persona
>>
>>382239881
There isn't much to do in the Inverted Castle, it's a little too big for how sparse it is in content.
Especially when it comes to music, I love Lost Painting but that other track gets really grating before long.
>>
>>382239881
>Inverted Castle is good

I disagree, Level design is incredibly important, and the level design is pretty good for the first castle, but once it gets inverted it seems like they didn't even consider it. Although at this point Alucard does have all of his mobility upgrades, it's still incredibly awkward to move around the Inverted castle, and I can't help but feel it was was just there for padding. I struggle to not get bored every time I hit that point.

It would have worked better if they altered the normal castle after the Richter fight to have those 6 or 7 bosses and remixed enemy placement, while you still have your old map.
>>
I still don't get why Castlevania gets any credit for creating the "Metroidvania" genre, Metroid-like would be a more accurate name.
>>
>>382240921
it'd be like calling Zelda Clones "ZeldYs"
>>
>>382240921
Because they were the only games in the genre for a like a decade, to the degree that the term "metroidvania" was coined solely to describe this type of Castlevania game. Only later did it come to be the term for the whole genre.
>>
>>382240921
Even Metroid wasn't part of that genre until Super. Both Super and SotN solidified the concept we know as a Metroidvania.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.