[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

annoyances in games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13

File: unrelated.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
unrelated.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
anything more of a buzzkill than the policemen in the gta trilogy?
>>
>>382204246
The lack of camera control in vehicles in VC and III.
>>
>>382205112
yeah thats a problem, but the police, who are meant to protect and serve, just fucking go nuts and fuck your play up; it was like no thought was put into them.
>>
>>382205279
It's a bit annoying, but it wasn't too bad, unless I got hit by car and knocked down in III/VC games at 5 stars.
At least FBI didn't consume your entire armor bar in SA.
>>
>>382204246

really wish the gta 3 trilogy was still playable by todays standards. would love to give san andreas a whirl for nostalgius sake
>>
>>382205824
SA holds up well enough on pc
>>
I love how the police SPAWN OUT OF THE FUCKING AETHER
>>
>>382205910
The PC port is shit tho until you mod it
Then it becomes good
>>
File: download.png (3KB, 96x96px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
3KB, 96x96px
You automatically drop dead when shot by this.
>>
>>382205824
Nigger everything's fixed.

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto:_San_Andreas
>>
>>382204246
GTA would be nothing without the police.
>>
>>382206012
Why is it?
>>
>>382206097
This. Police chases are half the fun
>>
>>382205824
yeah i got it on pc and im gonna give it a try. when i first booted up gta 3 the main menu was invisible, and the game crashed a few times. i hope to fuck san andreas isnt like that
>>
File: GTA-3-PC-Game-2.jpg (171KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
GTA-3-PC-Game-2.jpg
171KB, 800x640px
Missions that gave you 3+ stars are the problem, going on a rampage and trying to avoid the cops was fun, failing a long ass mission in IV because you failed to lose a 4 star wanted level is bullshit.
>>
>>382204246
Well, you are constantly breaking the law and hurting innocent civilians so of course there will be law enforcement to protect them. Also, the police creates increases difficulty by posing a threat to you.
>>
>>382206097
>>382206346
it should be fun, but it isnt. in gta 3 u cant control the camera and vehicles/police spawn wherever ur camera isnt facing; it ends up being a fucking mess.
>>
>>382206149
I will go into excruciating detail (Steam version specifically)
>frame limiter sets framerate at 25 instead of 30
>cars have permanent dirt layer
>poorly implemented Xinput support
>no 1080p
>18 cut tracks from the radio
>vertical sensitivity is not affected by in game sensitivity meter
At least the music tracks have an excuse, but the Steam version of SA is by far the worst version of them all.
>>
File: magma.jpg (157KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
magma.jpg
157KB, 1200x1200px
GTA 2 had the most annoying police

>driving around in a car that goes near light speed
>lol police is coded to be always faster than you anyway
>6 stars wanted level has every single person replaced by soldiers with machine guns and instant kill tanks block almost all the streets
>>
There's strategy involved in escaping the cops. It is not hard.
>>
>>382206479
i get that. as >>382206471 said, many missions force a star ranking onto you, and if the rng isnt in your favour and u get utterly fucked by the cops, you have to start the mission from the beginning.
>>
>>382206717
i say rng because of the spawn rate and their radical behavior
>>
>>382205279
>the police, who are meant to protect and serve, just fucking go nuts and fuck your play up
I know it may be confusing for non-americans but the AI's actually pretty on the ball
>>
>>382204246
They're one of the main reasons GTA is what it is today. Isn't the story that it was actually a bug in the cops AI that made them go berserk, the devs liked it so they kept it?
Yeah, they can be particularly annoying in a lot of cases, but that's part of their charm, the whole "mc coughs three miles away in my general direction, better gun him down"
>>
>>382206714
please explain to me this strategy; i would love to utilise it.
>>
>>382206824
i would be inclined to agree if the punishment for this wasnt so bloody harsh.
>>
>>382207004
The punishment for failing? Quick trip to the hospital, lose guns. Not much.
Like the other anaon said, missions that instantly give you stars can be the most annoying, specially in those cases where you make one mistake and they quickly mob you. But it's part of the challenge and the charm.
I remember playing San Andreas, just walking around, causing mayhem, putting on some of my music and chill, while driving along the highway, dodging PIT manuevers left and right, seeing the cops turn to fbi turn to army.
My biggest problem is the missions that require you to lose the cops. That part of their AI I could never figure out. Sometimes they automatically know where you are, other times they don't, that was always a gamble.
>>
The mob guys with their shotguns
>>
>>382206079
>You die when you get shot by a gun
are you autistic?
>>
>>382206557
If you set v-sync on driver level you can turn off the frame limiter without many hiccups, at least until that plane mission
>>
>>382207375
III era shotguns were annoying as hell to fight against
>took sizeable chunks of health at a time
>knock you down
>a guy with a SPAS-12 is just as powerful as you are
>>
File: rip.png (11KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
rip.png
11KB, 112x112px
>game seems like it has some depth to it
>for a while it's fun as fuck
>when you get to the end game, everyone runs the same builds because it's the most efficient way to play
>>
>>382207454
He is talking about the unbelievable damage. If 3 npc's shoot at you with an m16 your chances to survive are very slim.
>>
>>382207261
yep, when its required by missions. i dont mind that they are a tad but unfair in themselves, but the punishments being you have to go all the way and start the mission over again because rng wasnt on your side is what if ind annoying.
>>
I remember being so annoyed by the cops in IV when it first came out, now I can get rid off 4-star wanted level in under a minute without going too far out of my way even. It's funny seeing the cops that were just chasing you drive right past you like nothing happened mere seconds after the chase is over
>>
the cops in gta v are non-existent.
>>
File: FBI_Rancher.png (249KB, 871x479px) Image search: [Google]
FBI_Rancher.png
249KB, 871x479px
>blocks your path
>>
File: IMG_2725.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2725.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
Cutscene armour
>play shooter
>get shot to shit the entire game
>enter a cutscene
>someone points a gun at you in it
>your character surrenders
>>
>>382208296
plot contrivance.
>>
>>382208296
That always annoys me. I get that they can't quite make a serious story if a main character gets shot in the head during the cutscene and he just does a quick flinch but these moments can get ridiculous.
>Right before the curscene you're being shot from every angle, still recovering decently
>Get pointed a gun as if this was the one bullet that would finally kill me
Then again, GTA has always had that weird dissonance whenever they try to make a serious story.
>Niko is shown to be tired of all the violence
>Cutscene ends and he grabs a rocket launcher and goes on a killing spree
>>
>>382208641
Niko was a good character, just not for the role or the game he was in.
>>
>>382208780
Pretty much. He had great moments but they fall flat when they're quickly contradicted by the player.
It's obviously one of those near impossible things, specially for a game like GTA. Either the character mimics the player's behavior as if it was their own or they accept that their serious and thought out characters are going to come across as weirdly hypocrite due to the player not giving a fuck.
>>
>>382209064
>>382208641

the reason why trevor was popular.
>>
>>382209113
Exactly. It's a shame since R* can write good characters but they either take that hit, or every character is just a homicidal maniac.
I'm still hoping GTA6 does a Natural Born Killers style couple characters. They could make the characters as violent as they want, while also dealing with those themes of love, breakup, frustation within relationships, etc.
>>
>>382208296
>>382208641
Everything outside cutscenes is not canon. Character only acknowledge what you do on scripted parts or scenes, never what you do on you free roaming
>>
>>382209412
I know. I never wondered why Sweet didn't give me a hard time despite five minutes beforehand going on a rampage through Groove Street.
What I'm discussing is that it gets harder to accept deeper character moments, specially ones that don't want to be violent, when as soon as the player is in control, the character will forcibly go against his word.
Yeah, I know, it's a small detail from a storyfag but I tend to find games that join story/plot with gameplay more engaging. The ones that in some way acknowledge the player as an extension of the character.
>>
>>382209412
>Everything outside cutscenes is not canon
I understand what you're trying to say; although their actions aren't necessarily "canon", they do reflect upon the character and the world he inhabits. the game gives you the ability to murder everyone, because of freedom. its up to you whether you want to respect what the developers had in mind for the charcater you control.
some games are much worse. bioshock actively contradicts its narrative with you merely playing the game.
>>
>>382209649
a game can take you out of its world if they dont atleast attempt to make narrative and gameplay coherent/make sense; the rest is up to the player.
>>
>>382205824

It's totally playable if you get used to it a bit.
>>
>>382209753
>bioshock actively contradicts its narrative with you merely playing the game
How so?
>>382209928
It depends. I tend to evaluate games as whether they're engaging or fun. Stuff like Silent Hill is engaging, Just Cause 2 is fun. GTA, for me at least, has always walked the limbo between the two.
One of my favourite games is San Andreas, because its fun to play, within the story there was a lot of humor, while also being engaging since I actually did care for the characters and what happened to them. This despite the fact that there are several moments where story/gameplay clash narrative wise. But like I said before, it's part of the course with GTA games. You just learn to accept that "video game logic".
They have to make an attempt at being coherent but leaning more one way or the other doesn't tend to be a deal breaker.
>>
>>382204246
Not being able to hide behind cover/move while crouching in GTA III and VC. I always lose a ton of health when I have to stand up in the open to shoot all the enemies, thankfully they fixed it in IV (although a lot of other things got worse).
>>
>>382210259
>How so?
excerpt from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludonarrative
>promotes the theme of self-interest through its gameplay while promoting the opposing theme of selflessness through its narrative

>It depends. I tend to evaluate games as whe-
I agree. if a game isn't trying to focus on story, and just be fun, thats fine. but games that DO focus on story bother me when dissonance occurs.
>>
>>382204246
Also, the completely useless gang AI in GTA SA. Your gang's guns are terrible and do no damage to rival gangs, so they end up getting killed almost immediately without helping you much. And when you decide to shoot the rival gangs yourself, your gang members walk right in front of where you're shooting. The only thing they're useful for is serving as a distraction so you can run away and get to a better position.
>>
>>382210656
They're good in vehicles.
They can shoot police without increasing your wanted level, and a car full of Desert Eagle gangsters are a force to be reckoned with.
>>
>>382210605
I never got a sense of self-interest in Bioshock's gameplay. At least self-interest in the sense of self-preservation to keep yourself alive but not much else. You have the little sister moments but those are the moments where you decide to act in your best interest, in accordance to Rapture's mindset, or putting their lives above yours, going against everything Rapture stands for.
>>
>>382210913
Everything you do as a player is to survive, become better-equipped, and progress towards the end of the story. IMO the gameplay is entirely about self-interest. Every decision you make in the game is for your own personal gain/pleasure.
>>
>>382211285
Not necessarily. Rapture is shown to be a city ruled by self-interest. You're thrown in the middle of a conflict you don't fully understand and you're "asked" to help with it, in return for your safety out of there.
The fact that Jack never says a word helps the matters of you taking out of Rapture what you want. Do you want to care for the city and its people? Save the little sisters and avoid killing splicers when possible. Want to fuck around a dying city? Kill everything in sight.
Andrew Ryan and Atlas, plus all the audio logs, mostly just show you how this city operates, showing each point of view. You can argue that the narrative of selflessness is portrayed in wanting to help Atlas with his family and then to go against Ryan, but that plays into the whole attempt at deconstructing the idea of choice in games, plus the fact that Atlas is actively plotting against you.
Or Tennebaum with the little sisters, she acknoledges when you're acting in your self-interest. If you harvest the little sisters, she reacts towards it, she doesn't just pretend you're still a good guy. She still rescues you, but more in an attempt to save her life and whatever little sisters that may still be alive.
>>
>>382211991
use spoiler tags :)

and yeah i suppose you are right. i might need to do more research. i haven't played bioshock in a few years.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
*insert fake southern accent*
You're getting yourself killed, boy.
>>
>>382212241
Didn't think to much of it. Most people already know the plot to Bioshock. i was actually trying to avoid spoilers but a couple slipped out.
Just to add, I get that you're constantly arming yourself with more, but its a necessity for self-preservation when faced with tougher enemies. I think the game knows this, which is why they give you the little sister choice, get more adam, act like the splicers, lose part of your morality; or get less, save little sister, act against Rapture. At least for me, I never really got a sense of the game trying to instill a certain morality on me, at most it would show me different charactters interpretations.
Ryan and Frank as opposite sides to the same coin. Tennebaum as the only one who cares for anyone other than herself.
>>
>>382206557
>steam version
Oh shit nigga what are you doing
>>
>>382212635
i suppose. im going to play it again. thanks for the discussion there boy. its rare in *these* parts, if you catch my drift.
>>
File: 504.gif (2MB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
504.gif
2MB, 1000x500px
>>382212803
No problem. It was fun for me too.
>>
>>382210148
anything is "playable" if you get used to it. their point was that they don't want to.
>>
File: gtasa mods.jpg (2MB, 1920x1848px) Image search: [Google]
gtasa mods.jpg
2MB, 1920x1848px
>>382206149
They outsourced pc port to retards.

>>382207568
It's better to just install Silent's Patch
>>
>>382212573
I'm hot you're naaaht
>>
Is there any mod that fixes the camera lock-on on GTA III? It makes the game unplayable for me.

>wanted system
SA > VC > IV > III
>>
File: 1495512817737.png (122KB, 404x405px) Image search: [Google]
1495512817737.png
122KB, 404x405px
>>382204246
your feeding teamates in your moba of choice
>>
>>382204246
The policemen in GTA V come to mind.
>>
>>382213275
is the modded one SkyGFX?

because I remember it looking a lot better than that.
>>
>>382215669
i didn't mind them as much. they were easy to avoid.
>>
>>382207631
every mulitplayer game with customizable builds ever
>>
File: yep.gif (1010KB, 320x206px) Image search: [Google]
yep.gif
1010KB, 320x206px
>>382207631
>we want the esports audience
>that means no fun allowed ever
>>
>>382207454
Fuck you man, m16 was OP as fuck. Getting a 6 stars without a tank is a death sentence.
>>
>GTA:O
>accidentaly get into gang attack
>promptly die to a bunch of rednecks shouting "YER DEAD DEAD DEAD" in the most southern dialect possible
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.