[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fucking WHY? Does anyone actually find excessive collectibles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: whycollect.jpg (316KB, 500x1144px) Image search: [Google]
whycollect.jpg
316KB, 500x1144px
Fucking WHY? Does anyone actually find excessive collectibles fun? Or are collectible inherently trash? Personally I would vastly prefer 30 well hidden and fun challenging collectibles over 10,000 shits scattered about.

Post games you thought had good collectibles with meaningful rewards.
>>
File: GTA3 hidden package.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
GTA3 hidden package.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
I liked the hidden packages in GTA3 because for every 10 you collected you would get another permanent weapon spawn at your save points.
>>
you're not meant to 100% open world games
the reason there's a thousand collectables is so when you talk to your friends about the game, each of you saw a different set of 50, and can talk about what was cool that you saw and they didn't
>>
>>382196683
>you're not meant to 100% open world games
>not mean to 100%
>a game
But that's total shit.
>>
>>382196932
you're not poor anymore, anonymous
100%ing games was for when your family was only able to afford to buy you three games per year

you don't need to make 'em last anymore
>>
>>382197087
I used to be able to get every ounce of my money's worth though. Now it's total shit to do so because it's so bloated.
>>
File: 1498083309953.jpg (126KB, 746x708px) Image search: [Google]
1498083309953.jpg
126KB, 746x708px
>>382196157
They do it in order to make games seem longer.

That's it. It is a threadmill you go through in order to make a 5 hours game turn into a 20+ hours chore.
>>
>>382196683
>hey dude where did you find feather #45 in AssCreed II?
>i found it around building #70
>woah radical, i found feather #68 up on some random pole next to a building haha
>damn dude totally a different experience LOL!
>>
Collectibles are a cheap substitute for content of actual substance
The new recipe for easy big-title game design is 'Build huge open world, stuff it with shit to collect, call it a day'. Ubisoft in particular has gone full-ham with this, they now only make open-world games.
>>
>>382196157
Since you seem to be completely incapable of independent thought let me explain it to you. Koroks serve a very specific gameplay purpose. Their job is to encourage you to pay attention to your surroundings while exploring, that means they need a certain density.
>hurr why are there so many coins in this mario game can't they just do 30 coins that are very hard to get?
>>
>>382197949
And they needed 900 seeds for that? Why not, I don't know, worthwhile villages/NPCs/quests? Fuck sake, you don't even have to remove Korok seeds entirely. Make the Koroks give you a backpack upgrade in and of itself for weapons/armor/etc, so you get the item inventory upgrade immediately rather than make it into this trivial fucking resource that you have to scavenge dozens for a single upgrade.
>>
>>382197087
>have money
>can afford whichever game I want
>still feel the irresistible urge to 100% every game
These past two weeks have been spent trying to get as close to 100% as you can in Morrowind. I'm so close to fucking killing myself, but I can't stop.
>>
>>382196157
triforce hunt.
>>
>>382198441
Did you even read my post? How the fuck is a village going to reward you for paying close attention to the environment? You need 900 seeds because you need a certain density of rewards to make the process feel good. If there were only 30 koroks to find you'd only find one every 10 hours and it'd be incredibly punishing to miss one. Far too stressful and not fun. Since there are so many they can't give you massive upgrades, it has to be something small that accumulates into something worthwhile.

This is why you're just some faggot on /v/ while BotW is the most critically acclaimed game of all time.
>>
>>382197949
there's no point to coins in mario games.
>>
>>382199442
They make you feel good when they go bling bling! and you go WAHOO!
>>
>>382199290
>You need 900 seeds because you need a certain density of rewards to make the process feel good.
The trick is not making a world too big for its own good. Open world does not need to be intrinsically bound to being massive.

The original Zelda fixed your "problem" btw. Dense with meaningful rewards via scarcity mechanics giving money value, and exploration granting substantial and permanent upgrades not only to Link's statistical prowess (of which were actually scarce) but the player's ability to traverse the world and explore even further.

Open worlds should have Mario 64 challenges in a series of well built obstacle courses. Not vast fucking fields with cookie cutter holes and tree people inside them.
>>
>>382199184
you know, I can console command and get those same stats too.
>>
>>382196157
Is it better or worse that you actually need Korok Seeds?
>>
They're okay if they actually do something like give you items you can use. It took me about 100 animus fragments in Black Flag before I realized they did literally nothing.
>>
Horizon Zero Dawn did it really well
>12 vistas providing touching story of a man's life
>12 cups providing entertaining references to the lore
>6 figurines providing story of a regretful castaway
>30 metal flowers providing poems
60 collectibles in total, each providing you with something significant, plus getting all awards you with loot and skill points.
>>
>>382199290
You can still put NPCs or events or literally anything else interesting. Or make the rewards for Korok seeds better, as I mentioned. Or, God forbid, make the world fucking smaller. What you are describing is the process of making the world first, and then filling in the void. Almost as if they put in a huge world for the sake of having a huge world. It's shit. You always think about interesting and good content with good rewards first and create your game world around it. You can easily have 50-60 Koroks that give you an inventory item slot and still have plenty of incentive to look around by either making the world more condensed or making other things like hidden NPCs, villages, or random sidequests. They tried to do Shrines, but they made so little. You're making it seems as if there's no other alternative to the excessive 900 korok seeds that you don't even need to completely upgrade your shit. What happens then? Korok seeds become literally useless.

I don't understand why some people can have issues with the Blue Coins in Mario Sunshine being filler, but then defend Korok seeds.

>This is why you're just some faggot on /v/ while BotW is the most critically acclaimed game of all time.
I'm actually studying Computer Science because I want to make games. Don't know what to tell you. You're just stubborn.
>>
>>382199734
If that's what works for you man. I know I've wasted a lot of time doing this for my own autistic purposes.
>>
>>382196157
retards with asperger love that shit, i hate collectibles they are a waste of time
>>
>>382199790
You get a piece of shit for a prize.

Not kidding
>>
>>382199790
It's good because it gives you a reward I guess? At least for 400 or so, and then they just become a literal chore and you get shit as the final "reward" as this guy said >>382203224

Maybe they are planning DLC that uses the shit? Can't wait to hear the outcry of the 99% that didn't get them all.
>>
>>382196157
I think I had a mere 67 Korok seeds by the time I completed Breath of the Wild. It's not like I was making a bee-line to the events and dungeons either. I just did not find many of them. When I learned there were 900 of them I was flabbergasted at the fact that I hadn't found more.
>>
File: 7uvv-Kpt.jpg (42KB, 383x383px) Image search: [Google]
7uvv-Kpt.jpg
42KB, 383x383px
>playing Wonderful 101
>feel pretty good about the game, there seems to be JUST the right amount of collectibles, and they're a nice blend between obvious and stupidly hard to find
>realize that, as I'm closing in on the last few, different difficulties have swapped different collectibles
>have to play the game on all 5 difficulties to unlock Vorkken

Fuck this.
>>
>>382203061
i think its incredibly boring and a cheap way to pad out the game rather than make worthwhile content
>>
>>382200357
if you want to make vidya gaem you should consider transferring to a software development program
>>
>>382196157
They give you more Korok locations than you actually need so you can go about upgrading your inventory more easily
>>
>>382203224
In Infamous 1 the collectibles gave you health upgrades so they were okay in terms of meaningfulness, but you have no way to track which ones you have so it's not fun to collect all of them
>>
File: 1498665657801.jpg (50KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1498665657801.jpg
50KB, 540x540px
wait, people defend koroks? when so many of them were the same. lift the out of place rock and stone circles alone must make up like 40%+ of them

but hey i guess it's fine because nintendo. brainwashed subhumans man...
>>
>>382196157
They're fucking optional if you don't like it then don't do it.
>>
>>382200357

>Studying computer science to make games
You know what CS is good for? Simulations of real world cities for figuring out how to develop policies for governments.
It's not good for games, but then SpatialOS just happens to have a nice bit of application purely because it breaks up the static nature of Client/Server topographies into a new and improved cloud based service.

You're way better off just getting online courses, getting any old job and make a few demos in your time before applying for a game developer - they are creatives and only care about a portfolio.

Also basically you're complaining about a "hey let's make sure there's no nasty surprises about our world terrain by going over it and finding a spot to place a new collectable, for 30 minutes a day of development" thing. Thing with a joke reward to boot. And your solution to that, instead of just dealing with it like an normal person, is compromise the over world when it's perfectly sized for natural landscaping.

It's not even that difficult to traverse, the hardest part about it is rain when you decide to climb, and the frequency of finding stables (or wild horses). And it's by far the most beautiful open world I've seen in a game. Sure as fuck beats "post-apoc Manhattan" any day of the week.

tl;dr the alternative is to make a huge overworld and then just glance over it in testing, being prone to turning your brain off as you do and missing problems, or do a little daily exercise to express a little bit of freedom in creativity (okay it's a rock circle again but I'll just arrange some nice trees and flowers here like this) while working on a passion project.

This is how you actually make games, you make them your hobby somehow as well as work.
>>
>>382196157
Its best to just pretend they dont' exist, unless you have OCD or something that forces you to, then I'd suggest you stop playing video games and do factory work, least you will get paid to.
>>
>>382196474
Fucking hate how 4 and 5 removed those. And love how SA had 3 types of collectables for 3 regions each granting its own weapons set.
>>
>>382204645
There were also the logs, which provided the backstory.
>>
They put those 900 korok seeds because Switch doesn't have enough games to keep up. With this seed thingy they buy some time to catch up even when they sold switch without games, that's why it looks so meaningless.
>>
>>382197565
Underrated post
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.