[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oversaturation, /v/'s Plague?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1.jpg (45KB, 450x340px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
45KB, 450x340px
When people here complain about games sucking or being to short, bland, boring or whatever else, is it really because of a decline in quality over the last two decades, or can it be at least partially attributed to the gaming habits of the people on this site? Of course, this notion rests on the assumption that /v/ users commonly binge or marathon through games, or spend a significantly larger amount of time per game (and on a whole) than the average consumer. I of course can't prove this, nor do I assume 100% of people here do, but it's still a pretty safe bet.

In a single sitting, a CoD campaign can take anywhere from 3-7 hours, but that could easily mean a week's worth of shorter sessions. And, is there not some truth in that grinding something out all in one burst may perhaps feel more tedious than if it were over several smaller steps? I have a (casual gamer) friend who got the skyrim remake on black friday, and still hasn't beaten it. He seems to enjoy it greatly. I recently played through Oblivion (on a bit of a cheevo hunt), and found it tedious after playing for several hours a day over a consecutive week.

I'm sure some might call me on trying to make more with less, or shilling a decaying quality of product. I'm merely exploring alternative origins to the '/v/ hates video games' meme.

I suppose the question I pose in the end is, should video games have/come with some kind of recommended time per session? (this obv. varies greatly per game/genre) I would be so bold as to call it a serving size, but will spare myself the food analogy.
>>
>>382170875
I probably only have 2000 in videogames over the course of y entire life. I still think the majority of them are trash
>>
>>382171007
That's over 83 full days. I would say that counts as higher than average.

When you say majority, do you refer to all games, or only newer ones? My theory primarily applies to newer games, and I rest on the assumption most people reserve a nostalgia for older games.
>>
>>382170875
Or just like the music and film industry, quality have plummeted in an attempt to just make as much money as possible with as little effort as possible.
I just played through the starcraft and warcraft 3 campaigns after a long time. Most fun I've had playing video games in quite a while. Playing through Kotor now, and even knowing the game inside and out, I'm having a blast.

A game doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to have things that make up for any shortcoming it may have. Most new games nowadays seem to just have popular things to check off as far as quality goes.

Also, back in 2006-2008, the whole paid review things was considered conspiracy bullshit by most, yet /v/ was always bitching about it. Now it's common knowledge. Perhaps you should listen to /v/.
>>
>>382172087
Of course, there has been a strong industrialization of the medium, and a noticeable loss of risk-taking when making games. I'm not naive enough to not notice. My point was that, due to these facts, it might render newer games more suited to shorter play times per session.

I'll make a quick mention on the game journalism thing, as in retrospect, its rather obvious reviews have always been paid. It just came down to the matter of no one caring.
>>
because video games are worse now? pretty fucking obvious
>>
>>382170875
Got Ape Escape 2 on ps4 last week. Beat it two times with my first run being 10hrs, and my second run being 3-4hrs.
Had seriously more fun than playing the newer games.
>>
>>382170875
Well, there are games to cater everyone.
Play JRPGs which are longer than other games or online
>>
>>382170875
>is it really because of a decline in quality over the last two decades
Yes, game design has literally gone to shit.

https://youtu.be/jPqwDGXxLhU
>>
Modern games are shit because they take away a player's control in favor of having them sit back and watch cut scenes.

Every big AAA usually starts with a long ass cutscene and tutorial that totally ignores if a person might already be familiar with the series or genre.

AAA devs and publishers now use video games as tools to tell stories or push political crap instead of just letting the player get lost in a little sandbox or linear world and using the gameplay to create the narrative for the player.
>>
File: DDLJ3LfUIAACLDD.jpg (116KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DDLJ3LfUIAACLDD.jpg
116KB, 1024x768px
>>382175774
Would games be better if the plot was up for the player to infer like old NES games?
>>
>>382176239
It'd be nice if video games still let the player use their imagination.
>>
I feel like its not the fault of video games because there are still plenty of good games coming out that provide me with enjoyment for the entire duration of my session however long that may be. The hours melted away when I played Xenoblade Chronicles X, and I loved every minute of exploration, probably put in over 100 hours in before the week even ended. I've pumped 40 hours into Titanfall 2, and that's just from the mp alone. I fucked around in Blazblue CF for 85 hours just practicing and figuring stuff out. I can't say quality has dropped because I wasn't playing the stuff I would now when I was a younger and I almost always enjoy the games I buy. If you truly enjoy the game, it doesn't matter how long you spend playing it. Sometimes games just don't click for you, and that's fine.
>>
>>382170875
Modern games are literally designed reward feedback loops. They don't feel like games at all anymore. As long as (((EA , Ubisoft and Activision))) exist there won't be any improvement either.

Kickstarter and indie games are literally the only way to have genuine fun with games nowadays and no I am not over saturated because I have played 10h tops in the past 2 weeks. (And those were old games that I have played a decade ago)

Many young fags obv burn out on this dopamine threadmill that is called AAA games, mobas and mmo garbage.
>>
>>382177818
Btw. This is an excellent topic to discuss so I doubt that it will reach the top. Have my bump anyway.
>>
>>382178530
the top of what
>>
>>382170875
I see what you're getting at but what about games that I can play every day for hours and enjoy them? I can play Skyrim for a few hours a day and enjoy it less than if I played Morrowind or Oblivion for the same amount of time.

Some games are simply bad. That's what I think. I've played plenty of games of varying length and varying playtime each session and enjoyed many of them. The ones I don't enjoy I can point out what I dislike about them.

I think a lot of modern games appeal to people looking to watch a movie and less interested in actual gameplay. Games like Uncharted or Tomb Raider have very little actual gameplay but a lot of story and scripted events that look flashy but involve very little action on the part of the player. I think this appeals to the people you talk about that spend very little time playing a game in one session but I do think that's correlation with being a casual gamer than the cause of games being recieved poorly.

TL;DR: Casuals that appreciate games that are more cinematic are also people that spend less time playing games in one session. People that appreciate gameplay spend more time playing games in one session. The latter dislikes modern games but not because of play time Correlation not casuation
>>
>>382176239
games would be better if plot and dialogue weren't shoved down your throat through long cutscenes or talking segments that greatly limit player action.

I think the reason people went on about DS lore is not because it was 'deep' but because you didn't have to give a shit about when you were playing the actual game. If I want to play a game, I want to play a game, not watch a cutscene.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.