[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Inventory management in RPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: backpack.png (1KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
backpack.png
1KB, 128x128px
Which kind of inventory management do you like /v/?

Because I think it's all a gay waste of time, but what the fuck do I know?

>https://strawpoll.com/s27yrg4
>>
>>382097258
>Because I think it's all a gay waste of time

Just like crafting, I believe it's micromanagement for autists and devs should do away with it.
>>
That kinda depends on a game. Basically there are just two ways: unlimited and limited. With limited I prefer it to be inventory tetris, because that provides small additional layer of gameplay, while weight systems are just boring number crunching, and combining both is just pointless because in tetris system the limits are already set through sizes. Also slot-based is usable for games with crafting systems, because you do need there to be a limit, but overabundance of types of resources make them irrelevant to be identified.
>>
>>382097258
>Which kind of inventory management do you like /v/?

it doesn't matter because those who enjoy inventory stuff can use it and those who don't can edit some simple files and make everything weigh nothing and carry a zillion items. its just a matter whichever flavor you like, either way everyone gets what they want.
>>
>>382097258
If it's tacticool, make many differently shaped bags and pockets all with different uses, like 1.13 and E5
If it's grindfest, total weight limit > universal slots (infinity engine, roguelikes) > tetris
>>
>>382097258
Depends on the game really. If the game is resource heavy I definitely think managing your items adds some nice complexity to the game play as you have to decide what to bring with you. If not or you can easily access your "home base" then there is no point
>>
>>382097258
I don't mind anything except for weight based inventories, but even then weight based is manageable unless it's BDO. Who the fuck makes money also add weight?
>>
>>382097258
The one with infinite inventory space. Everything else is just tedious.
>>
I like tetris style actually. If the game is designed well then it makes you think and make sacrifices to carry what's most important to you. Inventory type all comes down to the type of game and what kind of balancing it has though. In a game where you gain a lot from having money, then having infinite inventory might be a bit too easy to become wealthy, which they would then balance by just making most pickups worth nothing like Souls games.
>>
Limitless or WoW styled as long as you can expand your inventory space.

Inventory management has never been fun.
>>
>>382097496
>Just like crafting,
>v now hates crafting

What happened?
Also stalker had a great inventory
>>
>>382097258
I like it being either nonexistant, or modular where it varies based on your stats like in Demon's Souls
>>
>>382097258
i like it

i loved organizing my bag in resident evil 4
>>
>>382097258
You are correct
Most of the time it serves no gameplay purpose whatsoeverr and just forcers you to tp back tro base once in a while or sell your junk or whatever, what's the fucking point
The Long Dark did it rather wll since you have to actually balance the shit you take with you depending on what you intend to do
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.