[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to horror games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: P_T_Lisa_Bathroom_Crop.png (215KB, 250x451px) Image search: [Google]
P_T_Lisa_Bathroom_Crop.png
215KB, 250x451px
What happened to horror games?
>>
they turned into walking simulators
>>
PewDiePie killed them.
>>
People finding jumpscare ghosts scary
>>
Amnesia and Slender became the CoD of horror games and pretty much killed all attempts of creativity and innovation. So now every game is boring walking simulator where you collect shit and play hide and seek with a monster.
>>
>>382084321

Five nights at Freddie's
>>
>Can get through RE7 no problem, not even scary
>On a horror game spree, try Outlast and Penumbra, fucking boring ass games
>Go down the rabbit hole in search for good horror
>Play SIREN
>Was not that scary, fucking terrified, can't continue, stuck in a hospital as a girl that can't fight and mindjack.
>Play WHITE DAY
>Can't even begin to start that game, too scared

Siren doesn't even have any jump scares, it's the context of the game that scares the shit out of me. Also,

http://www.lomando.com/

Jumpscares done right, that play on your expectations. Click on the cat girl!
>>
>>382084560
horror games were already dead by the time pewdiepie made any of his "famous" videos
>>
>>382085090

you would have a point if it was just the first game but the series has been milked into anything but horror
>>
ppl grew up
>>
>>382085156
play Forbidden Siren 2
>>
>>382084560
>TFW didn't hop on the let's player train when pewdiepie started blowing up
I could be making that easy cash instead of working my ass off for chump change right now
>>
>no new mechanics developed
>game devs not willing to take risks on experimental spooks
>really hard genre to pull off, much easier to take existing template of a game and add horror elements to it

People want more than a click and point mystery game or a walking simulator. But why invest a ton of time and energy into something when you can just shit out another Madden game?
>>
File: The-Evil-Within.jpg (178KB, 750x421px) Image search: [Google]
The-Evil-Within.jpg
178KB, 750x421px
>get hyped for the evil within
>turned out to be another action-based shooter

JUST
>>
>>382085353
>Forbidden Siren 2

Dude, I can't even finish the latest in the series, the one that apparently is the least spookiest. No way can I do the same shit with even scarier ps2 graphics.
>>
>>382084449
>>382084893
This.

Modern horror games are just 'Walk forward until you reach the jumpscare', taking away all of the tension and dread needed for a good horror game, same thing with 'horror' movies as well.
>>
File: 20170626_215511.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
20170626_215511.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>382084321
To this date I still regard silent Hill 1 as the scariest game.
>>
this is how RE7 killed the RE franchise.
>>
>>382085156

What is the point of this site?
>>
Am I just old or is it weird that little kids watch youtubers play M-rated games?
>>
The problem with Resident Evil was that it was never a scary game. People keep associating it with horror but I think first and foremost it was an action puzzle game, that just so happened to have horror elements. True horror games were Silent Hill, Siren, and Fatal Frame just to name a few of the popular ones. But those games never get any attention. The only way to get your fix now is to play hidden gem indie titles like White Day or SCP.
>>
>>382085543

For spooks, but there is a goal to the game, to get past all the spooks and get to the end gallery. It's a puzzle but if you don't know moonspeak you just click until you get through the end. Each page is basically a jumpscare though.
>>
>>382085831
Isn't Silent Hill a puzzle game with horror elements too?
>>
>>382086019

Much less so, like Siren, you're just a regular dude and not a special forces member that has access to guns from the start. I don't think you get a rocket launcher in Silent Hill.
>>
>>382085831
>True horror games were Silent Hill, Siren, and Fatal Frame just to name a few of the popular ones. But those games never get any attention.

Well that is just an absolute lie. those are all first ballot picks for top horror games on every single list.
>>
>>382085831
Eh, it's still a horror game. It's a fairly wide genre (which is part of the reason why its always been hard to pin down)
>>
>>382084321
Yo I'm playing pt right now
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.