[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Nier:Automata get better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: 1481249693950.png (1MB, 724x719px) Image search: [Google]
1481249693950.png
1MB, 724x719px
So I finished the Amusement Park boss, visited Pascal's village and defeated the Goliath. And I'm bored out of my mind /v/

Combat is extremely bland on Normal, changing to Hard or Very Hard only increases the frustration and makes you rely on kiting with your pod. I suppose you could master dodges and counters but it doesn't feel rewarding like in other games.

Most side quests are fetch quests, like something out of Monster Hunter, where I run across the map to kill a certain enemy then run back to turn it in.

Story is bland, this can get better I guess, but so far both protags 9S and 2B are very dull and unsympathetic. The atmosphere is also a bit sparse and depressing which is okay for some games, but this one has no charm or sense of mystery like Souls games do. It feels like an open world Vita game, if that makes any sense.

So what are your thoughts on this game /v/? I haven't experienced it all, so I could be wrong and be mindfucked a la MuvLuv.
>>
t. Platinumbabby playing a Taro game for the first time
>>
>>382034862
If arriving at the amusement park didn't make you feel anything, you could just as well drop it.
Nier Automata really isn't that great when it comes to gameplay, but the story elements made it easily worth playing for me, even the side quests
>>
>>382035165
What did it make you feel? I'm just honestly trying to see if I have the wrong mindset in this game.
>>
>>382035518
I really like the concept of the little robots trying to clumsily imitate (some aspects of) humans, and the amusement park is where that sort of reaches a climax. I also enjoy enemies becoming nonaggressive and weirdly sympathetic in general. The music and the festival environment give all this a surreal vibe that I love.
This is obviously all aesthetics, and it's entirely subjective if it makes an impression on you
>>
>>382035165
pretty much this, op

the hack n slash games arent for everyone - it gets boring pretty fast - and furthermore nier's combat is meh for a hack n slash

but regardless, I actually think its one of the best games I've played in years.
the depressing atmosphere is quite close to souls games actually in some aspects,

some similarities to npc's losing their will to live and going hollow after you do something they were extremely good at for example

some very nice side quests
music is amazing

overall the games is depressing and for the lack of better word "dark"
there's no epic hero adventure in the end
just everyone getting more and more miserable as you progress

you just need to invest yourself more into the game,
not many will bother to clear the game 5 times to see the whole story
>>
>>382034862
pleb
>>
>>382036189
>>382036715

I think I'm playing wrong then. I got those Monster Hunter vibes from the earlier sidequests so by the time I got to the amusement park I started farming all the robots because they drop Dented Plates which I can use to upgrade my swords.

It was only after I had killed most of them that I realized that I could talk to them. I know some games require you to minmax, and others require you to play suboptimally (RP) to have a good time. So maybe I will give it another shot.
>>
>>382034862
> Hard or Very Hard only increases the frustration and makes you rely on kiting with your pod
Why would you ever kite? You can do unlimited dodges. Hey should have kept bayonets dodges where you could only do it 3 times or something like that
>>
A tip: don't enter Nier Automata for the gameplay alone. Story is the main focus. If you think the hack n slash is so boring and you can't involve yourself in the story/lore, it's probably not a game for you. This isn't a bad thing, it's just how Yoko Taro does his games. Though the real story doesn't kick in until Route C starts. There's a list of the most important story quests for plot somewhere online, but they exust to get you immersed in the world, and completing them makes Route C hit that much harder.
>>
>>382036908
The NPCs respawn, walk away. If a robot has a green HP bar, it's an NPC/ally. Don't kill them all, they have plot significance. Some even sell you items.
>>
>>382036908
Yea well if you're minmaxing in nier automata you're setting yourself up for a huge failure.
>>
>>382036715
You don't actually clear it 5 times, you clear it twice then continue on with two branches and a final route. Completing the same game 5 whole times would be hellish, this isn't Drakengard 2
>>
File: the weak should fear the strong.png (162KB, 336x300px) Image search: [Google]
the weak should fear the strong.png
162KB, 336x300px
Good DLC when?
>>
>>382034980
This game has the worst story composition and least impactful climaxes out of every Taro game. The biggest redeeming qualities are the character design, music (thanks to Okabe's genius), and A2. Even the combat of NeiR 1 was more satisfying.
Objectively it goes like this:
Drakengard 3 > NieR > Drakengard 1 > NieR: Automata > Drakengard 2
>t. Tarodrone
>>
>>382036908
Automata has the most broken dodge button in any game ever, healing chips are so powerful that they basically make you immortal, and the secret level 99 endgame superboss was piss easy at level 75 on normal difficulty

Even if you play on hard, if you actually go out of your way to min max and make yourself as strong as possible the game will be trivial

It sets up an interesting world and characters and those are the main things people love it for, if you're mainly playing for visceral thrilling action combat you'll be extremely disappointed
>>
>>382038996
>least impactful climaxes out of every Taro game
Hahaha
No.
>>
>>382034862
Nope, it doesn't get better. Actually you'll soon be hitting the part where rest of the game is recycling and running around the same areas doing same things. I still played it until the end, but all in all it's mediocre (maybe even below) as fuck.

also "open world Vita game" is the perfect way to explain the game world, thanks f
>>
File: Punished Nines.jpg (71KB, 1024x733px) Image search: [Google]
Punished Nines.jpg
71KB, 1024x733px
I think your best shot at enjoying the game would be to switch to hard and just get some chips set that make life a bit easier. If Hard's worst part is the frustration, stack some HP chips on with an autoheal or a lifesteal. Throw on a shockwave chip so you don't have to rely on the pod so much. Seek out some extra pods (there's an easy one in the desert) and pod programs to have more tools to work with that don't require memorizing weapon movesets and combos.

>Story is bland, this can get better I guess, but so far both protags 9S and 2B are very dull and unsympathetic.

This changes. Whether you'll love it or hate it, 9S certainly is not a static character. 2B gets less development but more background implied and eventually explained.

>no charm or sense of mystery like Souls games do

true, part of that is due to the greater focus on narrative. There's just less room for ambiguity in terms of worldbuilding. It has less atmosphere but more of a tone, less developed world but a bit more plot and themes. But to make a shallow comparison there's some interesting item descriptions and lore hidden throughout the game elucidating events which bridge the NieRs.

I know it's a hard sell, but the best stuff happens about halfway through your second """""playthrough""""" (which should really be called Chapter 2)

Shame the Amusement Park boss didn't engage you. If you get through BECOME AS GODS without enjoying it then prospects are bleak
>>
>>382038996
I dunno, while I enjoyed D3 way more most seemed to, even through the horrible frame rate issues, ultimately the story is a weak point IMO.

The thing about Nier, D1 and Automata is they give you the idea that what you're doing matters somehow before invariably pulling back the curtain. D3 doesn't ever really do that. You're a shitty person (Zero) fighting through a shitty world, just because. There's character building with the interactions with Mikhail/disciples but no real twists.
>>
>>382038996
I'm curious about how you enjoyed Drakengard 3 more than 1 and NieR. While I loved 3 it felt like it had a weaker cast compared to NieR and the overall story was less interesting than Drakengard 1
>>
>>382034862
>like the souls games do

and now it all comes into focus. Done with this thread.
>>
For me the game peaked completely in the amusement park boss
Nothing after that came even close
>>
>>382034862
You're not wrong OP. NieR Automata is one of my favourite games but that's mostly because it caters really hard to many of my personal tastes. The gameplay is just mashing one button forever and you completely break all challenge with chips and healing items. The story doesn't get interesting until the second playthrough and the 3rd one is really lacking in content.
>>
>>382034862
Automata is not a great game, but it's a very special game. I think the only people who can fully appreciate it are people who who have played a LOT of video games.
>>
>>382040840

It looked cool on videos, but the camera made the real deal a complete mess and the hacking bullshit was annoying.
>>
>>382041174
The camera is fine, that one moment when it rises up to the ceiling can be kinda janky but that section is just about the bullets anyway, so its not big deal.

Anyhow, for a platinum game this game had some weak fucking bullshit masquerading as boss fights. The opera singer is literally the best boss and shes 3 hours in
>>
>>382041476
Enemy scaling (lack thereof) and weak boss fights are my big complaints with the game. I played on hard and the only storyline bosses I died more than twice to was the opera boss and yorha flight units, and I made an effort not to overlevel.
>>
>>382042443
I have a whole boatload of lists of flaws with the game, but the gameplay and questing being dull as fuck is up there with the biggest flaws
Platinum combat works when the game is short and can be replayed easily, and when its satisfying. Automata is neither of those things, nor is its combat interesting.
>>
>>382038996
>Even the combat of NeiR 1 was more satisfying.
Its kind of sad how I have to agree on this. Spamming Dark Hand and carving bloody messes out of shades was honestly more satisfying than this basic, unimpactful swing-a-thon.
Not to be too cynical though, I'm pretty much at the same point as OP and I didn't enjoy Nier 1 at that part yet either.
>>
i'm playing on normal. is it too easy? it does feel a little easy
>>
>>382043743
Yes
Difficulty is fucked in this game
>>
>>382043743
Normals way too easy. Hard is a bit too hard until you set up chips right, then it's either too easy and about right depending how good you are about it.
>>
>>382044010
Is it just me or are hard and very hard the same thing, given that in both you generally die with one hit?
>>
>>382044115
Set up +HP chips and not alot will be insta-killing you on hard anymore. I'm not sure about VH, but the bosses will presumably keep murdering you in 1hit on it.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.