[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can GOG do to become big?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: gog_galaxy.jpg (36KB, 670x378px) Image search: [Google]
gog_galaxy.jpg
36KB, 670x378px
Is this platform doomed to be niche because of it's DRM-free policy?
It never has big releases, unlike Steam, and you can only dream about titles like NieR, since those are published by SE who won't release anything on PC without Denuvo.
In my opinion it should at least be that, if the game has multiplayer or online elements, during download/installation you could choose if you wish to use them. If you do then Galaxy is required to run it, if you don't then you get an usual GOG downloaded copy.
What can CD Projekt do to make this platform more viable option over Steam?
>>
>>382027501
>Is this platform doomed to be niche because of it's DRM-free policy?

Yes, basically.

Well not doomed, but it cant get any bigger and compete with Steam unless it has actually relevant games. Only as many times as you can buy Dungeon Keeper
>>
Don't really see anything wrong with being niche. Right now they're pretty much the sole supplier of older PC games, and the DRM-free policy is very consumer-friendly. I think Galaxy hasn't been in the market for very long, but can really become a legitimate Steam competitor with some more marketing. I think most people just aren't aware of Galaxy as an option, but, as a frequent user, I can say that it's a great alternative to Steam.
>>
I'd like to see way more japanese/eastern titles on GOG. There is even a rumor that CD Projekt hates weaboo games and this is why there is a lack of them on this platform.
>>
GOG's userbase is either older people seeking nostalgia or 'hardcore' gamers, the kind who aren't easily swayed by marketing and AAA anyways. So long as GOG keeps getting newer old releases, such as DOOM 2016 in 2025, it will be around but never as big as Steam.
>>
GOG Galaxy can't even remove those fucking ugly Windows borders.
>>
>>382027501
these marketplaces have a tendency toward centralization. customers will chose the one that is most convenient and has the most games their interested in and have all their friends.
>>
>>382028620
More weeb games would be nice. They also need to speed up the licensing process, or let the userbase know when wishing for a game is pointless. I've been waiting for Dark Messiah and Wolfenstein 2009 for way too long.
>>
>>382029986
It will never be fast enough. Developers either don't even know about it or are thrown off by DRM-free policy.
>>
I feel they have a decent lineup, which has howeve has been stalled for the last 1-2 years. I cannot remember any really interesting games added in that timeframe. This might be a rather personal thing though. The last big thing I remember was when they offered the LucasArts games.

Their old games are top notch and they do have some decent newer stuff from small developers.
>>
>>382027501
Needs Mechwarrior and more classic games. Even from DOS era. Would love to see Commander Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit.
>>
>>382030243
Because it's only selling point are old games that can't be bought on Steam.
Only games that premiere on this platform are Indie/Kickstarter titles like Hollow Knight or Undertale.
They kinda fucked themselves over by saying that all shit will be DRM-free and that Galaxy is 100% optional.
>>
File: 1491237723666.png (15KB, 488x353px) Image search: [Google]
1491237723666.png
15KB, 488x353px
>>382027501
They could just have stuck with offering GOOD OLD GAMES. Using the proceeds to acquire more licenses for other oldies and working on compatibility and emulation.
They could have started by trying to get Amiga Games and then adding other systems....

They could have pushed Linux with a "gog Distro for gaming" (as they did with Dosbox for Dummies)...

Or they could have tried to make a name for themselves with actual cu ration, when Steam exploded into a huge pile of garbage, instead of clueless adding Indy shit and refusing actual good games.

If they continue to be a direct competitor to Steam (and EA, and Ubi, and so on)... Never ever...
>>
Even if more and more devs and publishers started supporting GOG it wouldn't get big because people don't want to use anything other than Steam. Everyone says the same exact thing, "If it's DRM free and not on Steam I'll just pirate it".
If something I want is ever on GoG that's the version I get. I vote with my wallet that I don't want invasive DRM or software in my games, and I love that games like VTMB are updated to how they should be on GoG vs the Steam version that still needs fan patches.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.