[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Zelda Franchise sales

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1486308001031.jpg (3MB, 4500x3240px) Image search: [Google]
1486308001031.jpg
3MB, 4500x3240px
So why does the Zelda series not make nearly as much money as the Mario and Pokemon franchise do? Is it just because Zelda is more of a console brand (Japan isn't too fond of consoles.) and/or more difficult to make? Does Zelda have more competition than Mario and Pokemon? Is it the result of the Zelda series needing more innovation to sell well than the Mario and Pokemon franchises?
>>
>>382026470
You cant compare the unparalled accessibility and broad appeal of mario. Pokemon on the other hand is more like drugs. People who plays pokeman past their early teens will never leave.

Zelda games are more segmented as a series, and you can really like one of them while not being so keepn on the rest.
>>
>>382027983
>Zelda games are more segmented as a series, and you can really like one of them while not being so keepn on the rest.

So pretty much because there's a bigger difference between most mainline Zelda games than there is in Pokemon and Mario mainline games.
>>
The same reason why Metroid sells like shit in Japan.

Zelda is just too generic of an IP. It's all the same game essentially. Same applies to Metroid.

I mean think about it, BotW is the biggest shake up the series has had since Ocarina. That's almost 20 years. Shit becomes stale after awhile.

Meanwhile, look at Mario. The core concept is the same, but the execution is different in almost every game. Mario games are also more easily accessible, and more quirky/free from a design standpoint, so they're instantly more appealing.
>>
>>382026470
The last 3 console zeldas were pretty shit. That might have something to do with it
>>
>>382028881
>Majora's Mask
>The same as OoT

Kek.
>>
>>382028881
>Zelda is just too generic of an IP. It's all the same game essentially.

>That's almost 20 years. Shit becomes stale after awhile.

>Looks at Pokemon

Pokemon would've died a long time if being "samey" was enough to kill a franchise. ago
>>
>>382029018
They use the exact same assets and engine, and play the exact same.

This is bait, right?

>>382029139
Pokemon gets by because it's easily marketable towards kids (due to cute animals) and because it's portable. The portable reason very much being why it still thrives in Japan.

Pokemon is just easy to pick up and take with you, playing some short sessions here and there. Just about every Zelda game requires you to sit down, focus, and spend a good amount of time on it. Not really appealing to most schoolkids or Japanese folk.
>>
>>382029798
I didn't know I could transform into a Deku, Goron, and Zora in OoT. Are you pretending to be stupid? How could you not know I was referring to the masks which is one of the main appeals of MM?
>>
Its not generic enough for the japanese, everyone must have same face but different hairstyles, have big swords or magic earth destroying powers, set in a alternate reality where x never ended as a empire.
>>
>>382029974
>Adds on extra gimmick that essentially acts as new items
>"IT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT GUIZE!"

The 3D series has been the exact same formula since Ocarina, and only changed recently with BotW. Adding on gimmicks to the core formula does not change the core formula, so no, Majora isn't too much different from Ocarina.

Also, Majora is shit anyway. It only gets recognition because "muh edgy dark story." Outside of that, it's basically Ocarina with less dungeons and more filler content.
>>
>>382030035
There's some truth to this. I think it's because it takes more inspiration from the medieval ages than something more connected to Japan.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.