[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's my first Elder Scrolls game, any tips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (155KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
155KB, 1280x720px
It's my first Elder Scrolls game, any tips?
>>
>>382025526
Pick a race that's good at what you want to do, ie, don't be an idiot that picks female breton and then complains that your character is weak as shit and can't hit anything.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Races
>>
>>382025526
Uninstall this meme piece of shit and play a good game instead
>>
Play Skyrim and Oblivion first, in that order
>>
>>382025526

Don't let the combat discourage you. It's frustrating at first but once you level up a bit it gets better. The game is so much more than its combat.

if its that much of a sticking point and you're on PC you can just mod it to be like Skyrim/Oblivion.
>>
File: C3tj7yoVYAEDAus.png (380KB, 504x567px) Image search: [Google]
C3tj7yoVYAEDAus.png
380KB, 504x567px
>>382025787
I'm a boring dude so I'm obviously gonna go stick with the sword, I'm assuming Nord for that?
>>382025880
>>382025920
Cool, thanks.
>>382026001
Yeah, I've heard things about the combat. I'll just experience it for myself and see how it is, can't be THAT bad, right?
>>
Your stamina isn't a meaningless meme stat.
Keep it full.

Always have some disease cure potions on you.

Kill cliff racers on sight, if you run they WILL find you.
>>
Chance to hit is more or less (your weapon skill) + .5*(your agility) - .5*(your opponent's agility) + (fatigue modifier)

Maximum fatigue gives you a +25% chance to hit, while minimum fatigue is a -25% chance to hit.

tl;dr If you're going anywhere and expect to be killing things without waiting a little bit, you should be walking instead of running so you don't lose 50% hit chance from fatigue. Make sure to use weapons you're proficient in, because that's the biggest difference besides fatigue that influences your hit chance.
>>
abuse alchemy to become sanic
>>
>>382026127
Nords only get a +5 on Long Blade. Redguard get +15, Imperial +10 and Dunmer +5.

It's Morrowind, so I'd personally recommend Dunmer. Feels better that way if you want to go all in with the main quest and join any great house except Hlaalu without feeling like a freak (and sometimes being treated as one). Shit, even as an outlander dunmer (ie someone who was raised outside of the province), you'll have a hard time.
>>
>>382026127
Just remember fatigue management is extremely important.

Nord is okay, but if you really want to be skilled with the sword, Redguard has the best bonuses/racials.

You might want to consider using Magic if you get bored of your melee character.

Morrowind is essentially Wizard Simulator
>>
>>382026290
Forgot to mention, when you're looking at weapons and it says something like 1-30 damage, that's not a random interval. If you just spam click your weapon, you'll deal the minimum amount of damage, while if you hold the attack button for maybe a half second or so, you'll deal near-full damage. Don't just spam like a retard.
>>
Pay attention to your stamina bar, it's actually important in this game.
>>
>>382025526
Git gud
>>
File: images (8).jpg (19KB, 391x376px) Image search: [Google]
images (8).jpg
19KB, 391x376px
>>382025880
Edgelord
>>
If you're playing on Win8/8.1 make sure to whitelist your morrowind folder on windows defender or else the game will freeze for 2 seconds every time the music changes.
>>
>>382025526
1.Take a major weapon skill, preferably one you have a racial bonus for
2.Take a major armor skill
3.After you leave the census office open the console and do player->setSpeed 100 or some other value so you don't kys from the fucking terrible starting walking speed. Or just take a race with high starting speed plus the steed sign if you don't wanna cheat

Have fun
>>
File: 1494994737250.webm (280KB, 750x716px) Image search: [Google]
1494994737250.webm
280KB, 750x716px
>>382026290
Jeez, you can actually miss? Just thought you'd do less damage the less stamina you had, good to know.
>>382026380
>>382026503
I'll take Redguard then, thanks for the tip!
>>382027181
I am on 8.1, actually. Good to know, thanks!
>>382027312
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!
>>
>>382025526

Pick Breton.
Pick Atronach sign.
Get Cuirass of the Savior's Hide as soon as you can.
Whenever you can, look for exquisite clothing and jewelry and a cephalopod helmet and enchant the fuck out of them.
Always enchant your exquisite rings with constant health regen (I think 4-5 is the most you can get). Make sure you have constant fatigue regen too.

If you need money for all this, just go to Balmora, steal the alchemy tools from that one shop, go to the temple and buy ingredients to make potions. Make them and sell them and just repeat this, you should always make a profit and eventually your alchemy skill will be insane and you'll be able to buy most anything you want or need.
I'm not sure if it ever got fixed or not, but the temple basically has infinite ingredients.
>>
>>382025526
Get a run fast mod because this game's walk/sprint speed is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
>>
>>382027723
or dont carry so much shit and pick speed at the start
>>
>>382027531
If you have any technical issues getting morrowind to work on your system, which shouldn't be a issue you could try using OpenMW.

Basically some people rebuilt the morrowind engine optimized for modern systems.
Actually you might as well use openmw, I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want a modern working morrowind over original. It's still being worked on but you can still play morrowind 100% as you could with the original.

https://openmw.org/downloads/
>>
>>382027701
>lol just metagame bro
>>
File: Morrowind Combat.gif (1MB, 360x288px) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind Combat.gif
1MB, 360x288px
>>382027531
>Jeez, you can actually miss?
>>
>>382027531
The whole reason so many people get turned off from Morrowind is because they start the game with a dagger and probably 30 short blade skill, run to the nearest cave, and start spamming attack with no stamina. That'll give them about a 5% chance to hit, when if they had full stamina it would be more like 55%, or if they were using a weapon they were actually proficient in, more like 80%.

The idea is that it's supposed to be like a first person CRPG, where miss mechanics like that are common and based on your stats, but it feels very weird, especially coming from people that have played similar modern games that abolish those mechanics. If the idea of that doesn't appeal to you, there's no shame in modding it out.
>>
>>382028091
Is it compatible with all mods? Do you need any sort of key or legit copy of MW for it to work?
>>
>>382026127
>It can't be that bad right?
It is. It really is. It took several month long hiatuses for me to get used to it. Expect this to happen to a lesser extent of you play pure Spellcaster or pure melee. Don't try battlemage at first despite how op it is.
It does get better later on as you can actually hit past level 50 (weapon) skill. So long as you have no diseases and have full stamina.
>>
File: MorrowindCombat.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
MorrowindCombat.webm
2MB, 640x360px
Play a different game.
>>
>>382028248

Fuck off, that's not real metagaming.

Real meta gaming is finding a spell to damage your skill, making your own assortment of spells to damage your skill by 100pts for 1 seconds. Then you lower your skill, talk to a trainer and raise the skill for almost nothing.
Repeat this until all of your skills are at 100.

Then you enchant gear until you get 110 enchanting. Then take something like an Ebony staff and enchant it with like 100pts of damage in everything on use. You now got a spell that does like 500 damage with hundreds of charges. This'll kill everything but like 3 enemies in the game in 1 hit.

If you want to metagame the fuck out of it some more. Make a potion to increase intellect. Drink it. Make another. Drink it and repeat until you have a billion intellect.
Once you've done this make a potion that increases personality by a billion and drink it. Once you do this absolutely nothing in the game will ever be aggressive towards you again. You can go up to anything in the game and talk to it (though most stuff has no dialog).
>>
>>382029060
Get hammer skill past 1, retard.
>>
>>382029010
>does it work with mods
Most mods yes, but mods like MGEXE, MWSE, won't work. Also the way you mod it is different, have to look up the mod install in the wiki how to do it. There also a mod manager in the works for Openmw, theres a version out but doesn't have all the features a complete mod manager would need.

For the key question, all you need to do is install morrowind normally, and then launch openmw wizard and it will ask you to find the morrowind directory for morrowind.esm, and then all you do is use the Openmw launcher to play the game.
>>
>>382025526
Choose Dunmer for your first playthrough.
Choose spear as a minor skill, it is the only weapon to level the very useful endurance stat.
Atronach for your birthsign if you want a huge advantage vs. magic users, warrior otherwise.
Don't be afraid to explore a daedric shrine or two early on, you might be able to find yourself a sweet ebony weapon or something else useful.
>>
Prepare to get lost. And dont trust dead wizards.
>>
>>382029624

That reminds me. Always max endurance first. It increases your maximum health when you level up, but it's not retroactive. It only gives additional health on all future level ups, not previous ones. So you max it first to get the most health per level up possible.
>>
>>382026548
This is important. That battle axe might look pretty solid with the 1-32 damage, but you have to hold the attack to get that 32. Weapons with a higher minimum can attack at a faster rate while still keeping good damage.
>>
>>382027181
Or just don't have your game install in the program files folder. Why everything defaults here is aggravating.
>>
>>382027723
Or just major in athletics and get speed to a reasonable level.
>>
>>382028091
What's the completion state on that. Is it 100% playable yet?
>>
>>382025526
Just like people are saying, you'll want to keep an eye your stamina since running in this game depletes it. Luckily, this is extremely easy to take care of early on

>Go to Balmora
>Drop by the mages guild
>Go upstairs to the enchanter
>Buy an amulet of stamina for something like 5 drakes
>As you're running around and find an enemy, use up the amulet's charges
>Stamina bar is now topped off
And the best part
>Enchanted items recharge over time
>The next time you find an enemy, the amulet will be ready to use again
>>
File: 1488761363464.jpg (22KB, 393x311px) Image search: [Google]
1488761363464.jpg
22KB, 393x311px
>>382026548
>>382030121
>mfw I didn't know that and had no idea why I can't kill shit with a steel battle axe
>>
If you do mod it, some mods that fix things like bugs also move items in game. Loaded up morrowind rebirth for a fresh game, and they removed most of the good shit you can find at the beginning, like the axe in the tree stump or the sparksword on the mage that fell from the sky. This was done for "balance".

Anyone have a suggestion for a decent mod to fix some bugs but not fuck with items? Feel like doing a new playthrough.
>>
>>382031165
Morrowind Rebirth was never meant to be a bugfix, so you got what you signed up for there. If you want to fix bugs you want Morrowind Code Patch (exe hack) and Morrowind Patch Project (mod). There are dozens of smaller mods that might fix one or two specific things that the Patch Project didn't address, but for the most part those two cover just about everything you want fixed.
>>
>>382025526
Essentials spells:
>Levitate
Flying instead of walking. Saves a lot of time.
>Mark
Mark an area for teleport
>Recall
Teleport to marked area.
>Open
Open shit with magic.
>Telekinesis
Allows you to reach things from afar. Useful for stealing items.

Good idea to find the creeper in Caldera (Ghorak Manor). He will buy items at full price. Drop a Mark spell next to him and use Recall whenever you need to sell things.

Find the boots of blinding speed as quickly as possible. It blinds you but you can counter it by casting a resist magicka spell before you put it on. Find a spell called 'Resist Magicka', but it then create a new one that resists 100% magicka for about 1 second.
>>
File: 1498584581063.jpg (34KB, 588x444px) Image search: [Google]
1498584581063.jpg
34KB, 588x444px
>>382026548
>mfw I have been playing Morrowind wrong all these years and spam clicking like a retard
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.