[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the best game of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

File: goty-every-year.jpg (67KB, 300x428px) Image search: [Google]
goty-every-year.jpg
67KB, 300x428px
Is this the best game of all time?
>>
Fuck no.
>>
>>381998421
It's fucking shit. There isn't a single good Half-Life game. One of the worst games I've ever played
>>
File: Resi4-gc-cover.jpg (91KB, 300x425px) Image search: [Google]
Resi4-gc-cover.jpg
91KB, 300x425px
Oops wrong pic
>>
>>381998421

Not even close. It wasn't even the best game that came out that year.
>>
File: me8.jpg (147KB, 1229x984px) Image search: [Google]
me8.jpg
147KB, 1229x984px
>>381998492
>>
>>381998421
>not on a nintendo console
lmao no
>>
>>381998421
Not even best game of the week it was released.
>>
File: metal-gear-solid-psx-boxart.jpg (163KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
metal-gear-solid-psx-boxart.jpg
163KB, 600x600px
Fucking japmoot, didn't meant to post that pic
>>
>>381998421
First game was good; this one is just utter garbage in comparison. All the stupid plebs were taken by the innovative physics at the time, which blinded them to seeing that the game is boring as fuck.
>>
FFVII
>>
>>381998421
>Half Life 2 was only regarded to be teh best game evr because it entered meme status, and everyone spouted it to be hip and cool
>People finally wising up and realizing that it's not nearly as good as people make it out to be
>>
>>381998494
This
>>
>>381998883
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>381998883
Hmmm...good point
>>
I got it for christmas when I was 15 in 2004 and while I enjoyed it at the time it was not as good as half life 1 and never will be.
>>
>>381998421
Hell no a tech demo about physics
>>
>>381998421
It wasn't particularly good, so no.
>>
It's not the BEST GAEM ALL TIEM, and it wasn't when it first came out even.

It's a decent game. The story is a bit crap, in retrospect. Turning Freeman from an ordinary guy in a bad situation into Crowbar Jesus was a mistake.

Physics combat was amazingly innovative for the time, and it's still fun.

It's a decent game. I wish someone would make a game to expand on some of the ideas in it. Especially physics combat.
>>
>>381998494
Good
>>
>>381998421
It was ground breaking for it's time. Love it.
>>
As a game, it was meh.

As a physics tech demo it was awesome.
>>
>>381998421
The only reason anyone cared about HL2 is because Half-Life came before it, just like everyone only cares about Half-Life 3 because of all the memes. If anyone actually went back and play Half-Life 2 they'd realize it's extremely mediocre. Half-Life was great for its day but FPS games don't age well.
>>
spot the nintenbros in the thread
>>
>>381998421
I played through the Half Life games again recently. HL1 is better. HL2 is bogged down by Alyx and all the other NPCs. It's frustrating when you're trying to do something or go somewhere but you have to wait for people to finish talking before you can move on. Also Alyx is annoying as all fuck. Half Life 3 better ditch that cunt and just let you be.
>>
File: G-man_heart_to_heart_headshot.jpg (21KB, 350x348px) Image search: [Google]
G-man_heart_to_heart_headshot.jpg
21KB, 350x348px
>>381998421

We'll never know his true motive will we?
>>
It is starting to show it's age but you can certainly tell who was born after the year 2000 in this thread because they'd still be in diapers when this game came out.

In 2004, there weren't many games out that could compete with the immersion that Half Life 2 offered. The graphics, sounds and physics came together to make something greater than the sum of it's parts. Some games had Half Life 2 beat in certain departments but none had the whole package.

Nowadays a cinematic single player campaign with good graphics and physics has been done a million times. Half Life 2 is starting to look like Star Wars IV with it's shitty props and campy acting. Everyone knows at the time it was cutting edge, now it isn't.

Sorry to hear you underage kids missed the boat on this one and will never understand why it was such a big deal.
>>
>>382006552
All that means is that it was good for its time not that it's the best ever. The writings of Plato are viewed as essential reading now because of the time period it was written not because the actual content rivals the philosophical writings of the modern times. So yeah, HL2 was great for its time but it certainly is not even close to being the best game of all time like op asked.
>>
>>381998421
No, it's overrated as fuck
>>
From my perspective, Source Engine really set a high standard for quality games.

Their physic engine was so groundbreaking.
>>
>>382003031
>I wish someone would make a game to expand on some of the ideas in it. Especially physics combat.

Play Dark Messiah if you haven't already, it's probably the only action game besides HL2 that properly utilizes physics within gameplay
>>
>>381998421
for me its Portal 2, nothing has even come close
>>
>>382005693
FPS age better than literally any other genre of videogame dipshit
>>
>>381998421
gameplay is a fucking slog compared to the first one, half of the game is driving sections, dull ass semi custscenes etc.
it sucks shit
>>
>>381998421
legit kek
>>
Not best game ever but pretty high on the running for best FPS desu.
Episode 2>half life 2>half life 1>episode 1
>>
>>381998883
wtf i love hl2 now
>>
File: DeusExCover.png (623KB, 600x745px) Image search: [Google]
DeusExCover.png
623KB, 600x745px
>>381998421
Step aside
>>
>>382009393
Those driving sections are so intense though.
Half Life 2 is a strange beast in that you have to slog through once and then when you know the solutions to the "puzzles" you can speed through the game and it becomes one of the most fast paced run n gun shooters out there.
>>
>>381998421
Probably not, but it is pretty damn good.
>>
>>381998421
No, that title belongs to Chrono Trigger
>>
>>381998883
nice
>>
>>382009642
Half-Life 2 is not a fast paced run n gun. Mainly because of the "cutscenes" you have to frustratingly sit through. The NPCs ruin the experience entirely. Half Life 1 is way better in terms of fast paced run n gun.
>>
>>382009905
The only long extended cut scenes are at the start of the game, just before ravenholm and just before the end of the game. It's hardly max Payne 3. And they're fine the first time you play the game anyway it's only on replays where you can't skip them that's annoying. And even then you can still run around jumping on shit and looking around if you don't wanna just stand there and listening. Literally contrarian grabbing at straws: the post
>>
>>381998421
Nowhere close. It's a pretty generic linear FPS game that's only notable for having good graphics for its time
>>
>>381998548
>>381998648

>me8
>me

nice chin, hairline, complexion, eye-bags, nose, hair grease, fashion sense, tooth and stubble, anon.
>>
>>382006552
Fucking this.
Back then everyone was blown away by the game, so much that I remember that every other game company started delaying their games so they don't come out at the same time as HL2.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4ddJ1OKV63Q

It was the first game with such a detailed facial animations and physics system.
Even for a 2004 game it does a lot of things better than most games nowadays.
>>
File: 46476744667.jpg (15KB, 150x212px) Image search: [Google]
46476744667.jpg
15KB, 150x212px
>>381998421
>>
>>382010182
Dude the entire game is just waiting for NPCs to do shit. Did we even play the same game?
>>
>>382010827
no you're just talking trash for no good reason
>>
>>382010827
There are only like 5 moments of that in the entire 20+ hours of the game
>>
>>382010182
>even then you can still run around jumping on shit and looking around if you don't wanna just stand there and listening.

This.
The most boring "cutscene" gives you a functioning mini teleporter to play with. After that it's those short moments like when you first get the boat that feel like a relief from all the shooting.

>>382009905
Go back to it, play on hard, and remember to never stop running.to be honest I thought the game was shit when I first played it on orange box with a controller. Getting it on steam later on turned it into my favorite fps of all time. Use the revolver.
>>
>>381998421
Skyrim is better
>>
>>382010992
The game is barely 7 hours if you know what you're doing. Arguably 6. The reason it's so drawn out is because you're either waiting for Alyx to talk to someone or open doors for you. Also the resistance members slow you down and exposition the shit out of you all the time. The game has a lot of small bits where they intentionally slow you down. I don't know what game you're playing, but obviously it's not the same one.
>>
>>382010695
nah the source engine itself was impressive

HL2 as a game was really boring

it's always go to X then oh no we've been attacked we have to go to Y

it's only good part was the super gravity gun
>>
File: Half-Life_Opposing_Force_box.jpg (161KB, 300x361px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_Opposing_Force_box.jpg
161KB, 300x361px
>>381998421
not even the best game in the series
>>
It's not even better than it's predecessor
>>
>>382013194
Besides the squad stuff where you have to rely on the other guys, I love this game. The amount of weapons was amazing. I like Blue Shift too. Great Sunday afternoon game.
>>
>>382013194
>gearcucks
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.