[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If, say, Overwatch goes F2P, will this kill TF2?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

If, say, Overwatch goes F2P, will this kill TF2?
>>
those two games are already dead
>>
Killing tf2 at this point is like smothering your terminal cancer having grandma's face with a pillow.
It's still murder but if you just waited a but, she'll die on her own.
>>
>>381998427
This pretty much
>>
>Overwatch has 24 characters
>out of those 24 characters 11 are guaranteed to make your teammates flip their shit because they are not "meta"
That leaves you with a roster of 11 characters, barely above TF2's roster. If that's not enough, Overwatch has shitty, unnecessary features that you can't disable: Awful screen shaking, tiny FOV, no effective way to recognize which team a player is on (no team-colored outfits). The movement and combat in Overwatch is incredibly simplistic when compared to TF2, it's been reduced to being so casual that any retard with two hands and a monitor can do it. Instead of adding in complex, skill-ceiling increasing game mechanics such as rocket jumping, rocket pogoing or walljumping (lucio is okay though, air control in the game is absolute ass though. no way to air strafe in the game, you just go wherever you hold wasd) etc. All characters are slow as fuck, too. Widowmaker is not rewarding enough to play because of the retarded head hitboxes and meanwhile characters like Roadhog and Hanzo get free instakills for doing practically nothing at all (scatter arrows are broken, so are arrows)
>>
File: 1495378224914.jpg (39KB, 477x479px) Image search: [Google]
1495378224914.jpg
39KB, 477x479px
>>381998842
I am really really bad at this game : the post
>>
>>381999525
I have no real counteragument so I'll just post this epic facebook meme instead : the post
>>
>>381998842

TF2 is still dead. Can't say the samefor Overwatch kiddo :)
>>
Overwatch is worse than TF2 though
>>
>>382000023
overshill is dead as fuck
>>
>>381999525
Not really. The only thing that says that is the op as fuck arrows. I'd agree to the point that if you turn a corner and a hanzos there you're probably dead of the rng is good for him thanks to scatter arrow.
>>
>Playerbase may still be as large as ever, but I didn't like an update so TF2 is dead
Cool story, oniichan.
>>
>>382000273
>>Playerbase may still be as large as ever
Can't say the samefor Overwatch kiddo :)
>>
File: steam.jpg (67KB, 745x638px) Image search: [Google]
steam.jpg
67KB, 745x638px
>>382000023
>game is nearly a decade old
>still the 7th most played game on Steam
Not only does your post argue against any of the things stated in the post you replied to, but what you just said is simply not true. If you want a dead game, take a look at Monday Night Combat. That shit barely has 10 players in one day. That's when you can consider a game dead. Hell, even Battleborn has a dedicated playerbase, you could still find matches in that game even before it went free.
>>
>>382000461
Payday 2 wtf is with your graph? Did a new dlc come out or something?
>>
TF2 was a genuinely great game, and in many ways still is. Overwatch never was, and probably never could be.

TF2 will never properly die. It has outlasted death. It will linger forever as a shade of itself.

Overwatch will die whenever Blizzard gets hungry for sequel money. They'll murder it to make way for its successor, which will probably not succeed and instead kill the IP outright.
>>
>>382000461
I can understand a one-hit wonder like Dota, I know CSGO was always popular and I suppose GTA online is a thing, but who the fuck are all these people playing 3-5?
>>
>>381998427
>>381998583
you've been saying this for years
>f2p will kill tf2
>skins will kill tf2
>matchmaking will kill tf2
>another "major update" devoid of any meaningful content will kill tf2
just accept the fact this game will only die when source 2 is released, i.e. fucking never ever
>>
>>382000126
Source: my ass
>>
File: NFSLQG931WES1494894036046.png (1MB, 1400x8405px) Image search: [Google]
NFSLQG931WES1494894036046.png
1MB, 1400x8405px
>>382000126

>overshill is dead as fuck

Objectively wrong

>>382000461

>It's the 7th most played game on the platform with the least players.

Wow sure shown me.
>>
File: 1449512513363.png (228KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1449512513363.png
228KB, 450x450px
>overwatch was supposed to kill TF2
>it didnt even scratch it
>valve will NEVER make a TF3 now

WHYYYY!? WHY IS BLIZZARD SO BAD AT MAKING GAMES!?
>>
>>382000782
>Wow sure shown me.
You initially said that TF2 is dead, I proved you wrong. Yeah, I guess I did show you.
>>
>>382000782
>least players
Source? Oh wait, you have nothing because steam is the only place with openly available statistics liek that.
>>
File: 1493768199567.png (4KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
1493768199567.png
4KB, 183x275px
>>382000782
>still no actual player count numbers
>>
>>382000604
They gave away a ton of free copies to celebrate the end of paid DLC. Now the only way to get the game is a single $60 purchase which includes all past and future DLC (except for a few charity benefit DLCs they're still selling separately).
>>
>>382000782
OW is objectively a shallower game than TF2, yet its format results in so much more tryhard cancerous players.

Honestly though, the gameplay is *not* deep enough for competitive play. The only reason it has any sort of professional scene is because Blizzard is pushing it so hard with its stacks of money. They even went so far as to make their own league?? As soon as that money stream ends the scene will all but completely disappear, because it's just not complex enough
>>
>>382000971

>You initially said that TF2 is dead, I proved you wrong. Yeah, I guess I did show you.

Whatever its still dead though isn't it?

>>382001052
PC is obviously going to have the least players.

>>382001352

>objectively a shallower game than TF2
Lol hats, hyper movement pay to win weapons doesn't make something deep.

> gameplay is *not* deep enough for competitive play

This is true.

>because Blizzard is pushing it so hard

Blizzard don't want anything to do with making it a competitive scene, Papa Jeff himself said they balance for quickplay
>>
>>382001587
>Whatever its still dead though isn't it?
Are you retarded? It has players and a dedicated fanbase and therefore is not dead.
>>
File: 5614.gif (495KB, 194x172px) Image search: [Google]
5614.gif
495KB, 194x172px
>>382000782

>posting stats of autists playing vs bots as a sign on a health multiplayer fps

That'll show 'em anon
>>
>>382001587
>lol hats
Not a counter argument
>hyper movement
Not sure what this point is.
>pay to win weapons
Have you even played the game seriously? Not only can you get all weapons for free and with minimal effort, but the stock weapons are still some of the best. I use stock loadouts on almost every class.
>>
>>382000782
If someone were to bring a stupid chart of every action performed in TF2, over the 10 years, it would make that chart look like nothing
Also Blizzard still won't tell us how many people are playing ogrewatch
>>
Both games are fun but I prefer tf2, and overwatch is blizzards take on tf2, why the fuck do people want tf2 to die, what the fuck would that accomplish
>>
>>382000765
But its fucking dead.
Lobbies are dead, you are forced to play with a bunch of shitters so you solo every fucking match without breaking a sweat, and half of the servers are filled to the brim with "Friendlies" and kids comparing their lime hats.

Its dead as fuck.
Russians laundering money dont count as players.
>>
>>381997519
No because no custom servers and trading, which is basically all the remaining tf2 players do at this point.
>>
File: Beyond Mad.jpg (59KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Beyond Mad.jpg
59KB, 500x500px
Overwatch is legitimately the most disappointing game I have ever played.

You make a class for Quake players, and yet you cant rocket jump.
You make a class for Call of Duty players, and yet make him generic as fuck.
You make four dedicated healers, yet only one is fun to play.

Are the character designs cool? Sure. It just sucks that the gameplay is incredibly shallow. I get bored after 5 matches. At least with TF2, I could play for literally 12 hours, whereas after 2 hours in Overwatch I'm questioning my sanity.
>>
>>382003581
Mercy is bets girl
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.