[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In a game about rebuilding cities, why can't I build anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 14

File: image.jpg (52KB, 476x309px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 476x309px
In a game about rebuilding cities, why can't I build anything more than cobbled together wooden and scrap metal shacks?
Playing on ps4 btw so no mods
>>
File: Why Bethesda sucks at Fallout 3.png (282KB, 798x2904px) Image search: [Google]
Why Bethesda sucks at Fallout 3.png
282KB, 798x2904px
>>381991919
>...why can't I...
Because you've already spent more time thinking about the game than the developers have. Bethesda's Fallout is complete garbage only Skyrim-guzzling normalfags praised.
>>
>>381991919
>In a game about rebuilding cities
I don't want to defend this atrocious pile of dogshit, but it's not.
>>
Because Bethesda doesn't give a shit. The whole settlement mechanic is completely half-assed and flawed, no point in bothering building them without decent mods.
>>
Does Fallout 4 have the same terrible gameplay and UI as 3 and New Vegas?
>>
>>381993969
Yes. The closest thing to a meaningful change to the combat was making crits something you charge up and trigger at will instead of random.
>>
>>381991919
This is my biggest problem with the game. So many inconsistencies.

>can build giant water purifiers and television sets out of scrap and junk
>the walls you build still look like literal shit and you can't change that.

Also
>institute is super advanced organisation with space age technology
>their pistols are shittier than the scrap dung pistols found on the surface.
>>
>>381991919
Because you might be normal. I've seen some amazing settlements that people have made but they are usually engineers in real life or have extreme autism. Sometimes both.
>>
>>381991919
Actually the city build shit was just tacked on last minute because it was a fad at the time.

It's just a simple mini game, nothing more. The entire game is frankly devoid of soul.
>>
>>381994705
Agreed. Still, it's not something I object to on principal, just in its execution. It COULD have been a good mechanic, but it was lazily handled.

So, a question for the board... How to we save Fallout? What mechanics and elements need to be present in Fallout 5?
>>
>>381995265
Just let obsidian make it
>>
>>381995265
Just don't even bother. You can't save it, it's been dead for years.
>>
>>381995540
That is an uncomfortably generic answer. While I agree that Bethesda should at least share creative direction or outright hand it over to Obsidian, allowing them to handle story, characters and writing, while Bethesda focuses on the gameplay, graphics and engine (god knows the Creation Kit needs an update or straight-up replacing), that doesn't answer the core question.

Games need to please their fanbase. We are the fans. What would please us to see in a new Fallout? What story elements, art direction, mechanics, locations and environments would we like seeing?

>>381996335
That kind of defeatist attitude helps exactly no-one Anon.
>>
>>381996374
I want more synths and non-biodegradable flags and ore mining technology and a nether
>>
File: 1437055089404.png (2MB, 819x1062px) Image search: [Google]
1437055089404.png
2MB, 819x1062px
>>381995540
>Obsidian
>Ever having anything to do with Fallout ever again
>>
there are lots of mods available for ps4. get the one that unlocks all or most buildings and objects
>>
>>381991919
Played it a while ago and thought it was okay. Good game just not a great fallout game.

Now playing it with mods and survival difficulty. It's probably equal to New Vegas vanilla in terms of how fun it is.

Also OP a city and a settlement are two different things. The game does not have a city builder it has a settlement builder.
>>
>>381996485
I'm sorry what? Could you go into more detail on those things?

>>381996601
It's not unfathomable. If Bethesda actually took a look at the more critical elements of their community, they'd see it's what many, MANY people want and both companies have much to gain from a partnership.
>>
>>381991919
>build a city
>it adds absolutely nothing to the game
>no unique npcs
>no quests related to it besides randomly defending it from a roaming band of 1 (one) raider
>no interaction with the npcs that appear

It was so fucking pointless
>>
>>381996987
but you could take a sceen of it to show your bros
>>
>>381996797
Survival difficulty changed my whole opinion of the game, I'd advise getting the mod survival options and adjusting a few small things. Really fun though. All in all was a better survival experience than Skyrim with all the realism mods added on.
>>
>>381997025
I'll be honest. I only did something in Sanctuary, and I didn't like how settlement building worked. I did the fucking generic quests for Preston and unlocked the other settlement plots, only placed some random turrets so they don't get attacked all the time and never touched it again.

It served no purpose and added nothing to my overall experience of the game which was already pretty fucking bad due to close to no choices in quests and badly written dialogue. Also, pretty much no skill checks that I loved in NV. Exploration felt pointless because of RNG loot and legendary radroaches in every spot.
>>
>>381993969
It’s a pretty fluid fps
>>
You can build amazing shit in this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBlKerFnFyY
>>
>>381997431
the flags and banners in Fallout 4 are worse than every single other thing people gripe about. Worse than prewar jet. retarded beyond comprehension.
>>
>>381996374
>What story elements, art direction, mechanics, locations and environments would we like seeing?
I've posted this a few times before, but

>NCR wants to build a railroad out to [important location] to get [important resource]
>you're hired as a scout to plot the railroad's route through country
>start in civilised NCR territory and progress outwards down an open world but long and thin instead of square map through the frontier
>things get more savage the further out you go
>the railroad forms the main storyline - plotting which route it should take, which small towns it should run through, and dealing with the politics and bullshit of a hundred mayors all trying to bribe and bully you into putting their town on the map
>raiders harassing work parties sent out to lay the tracks/attacking the trains that you can clear out
>savage wildlife that has to be cleared out
>side quests to do with exploring the wasteland and fixing the towns on the route
>train line forms the fast travel system so you actually have an incentive to build it
>also when you start getting far out into the frontier towns and vendors become scarce to the point of nonexistent and you need to become a survivalist
>theme would be the death of the "old west" and encroaching old-world civilisation, robber barons/rail tycoons, as well as worker-capitalist conflict
>>
>>381998135
So new Vegas 2
>>
>>381998232
Yeah.

You could even set it in the same place. Maybe they're trying to build a railroad to Hoover Dam or something.
>>
>>381991919
Ps4 has mods too. Don't have access to brand new items but everything in game is available.
Still doesn't make it easy though.

I just do a little bit here and there and then move on. Nothing ambitious. Setting yourself up for failure when you're limited to simple mechanics and the game spazs out beyond that. The settlers won't even use half of the settlement anyway
>>
>>381998135
I like that idea. Also came up with something that actually fits post-apo theme a bit more.

>around 10 years after the war, some vault you were in pretty much just opens up and you go out with the mission to settle
>pick 1 out of 3 places to start your colonization progress
>it actually affects the quests you get, problems you have to solve, etc
>possible option of you being the overseer or just another dweller
>you can't build anything yourself, it's more of a gather resources and click build, then it takes some time to finish in a predetermined way
>need to negotiate with other factions so they don't attack you, or work with you, or clear them out completely
>final goal is to take over the whole map either by force or by diplomatic ways

though I think my idea is average
>>
>>381998326
While i found the setting of new Vegas to be boring as hell, if it was more populated and active earlier on (e.g. Actually having fucking people walking around and not just 5 people in the most important location of the area) it's feel pretty good.

I think this only issue would be that you would be pushing outwards and any backtracking might become tiresome and uninteresting. I think a square-ish map would be better and go from top right to bottom left or something.

Mind you, it'd work if you don't expect it to be a Bethesda-shit fallout and thus doesn't need open world for the sake of open world.

Add in some camping mechanics and I'm sold.
>>
>>381998775
>if it was more populated and active earlier on (e.g. Actually having fucking people walking around and not just 5 people in the most important location of the area) it's feel pretty good.

Blame Gamebryo.
>>
>>381993969
No, it's a decent FPS, I guess. I mean that's how I play it at least, there's no point of using VATS, while in F3 and NV I would never fight outside of it.
>>
>>381998532
The problem with the multiple starting locations determining the story is that then you have 2/3 of the game that isn't available to the player, without starting a whole new game. That's extra work the developers have to put in, essentially making three games in one. I'm not adverse to more content, but if you're going to introduce something like that, it's better handled through DLC.

>>381998135
Possibly a good story direction, but where is the personal engagement? Further, this runs the very real risk of detracting from the post-apocalyptic setting and making it a game more about the new, wild frontier, as opposed to picking up the pieces after a disaster. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but won' that move catch some flak from the fans?

Purely playing devil's advocate here. Not offering my own ideas, as I don't want to seem authoritarian.
>>
>>381998135
So how will this tie in with New Vegas?
>>
>>381998904
I know. I still wouldn't have enjoyed the game that much but I do know that they were limited bevause of that stupid ass engine
>>
Holy shit this game is boring as fuck.
>>
>>381993420
i don't think anyone expected anything desu. when i heard Fallout was going first person, i already knew it was dead. i didn't even play Fo3 until years after it was released.

making shit first person removes the technology and neuters the engine. the current VATS system is seriously a fucking joke compared to the original. how is that even possible? how do you take that many steps back, but it be 2017?

if you play Fallout and are there for the story, something might be wrong with you. at least the universe "tries" to be consistent, even if the story is crap.
>>
>>381999085
I know that my idea doesn't seem realistic because of too much work the developers would need to put in for the different branches, but I would just like to see that.

You know, actually rebuilding the world after the apocalypse. Then all the decayed stuff, radioactive food and trash everywhere would make more sense.
>>
>>381993745

really fucking wish you could play every object ANYWHERE and had to hold a button to make it snap.

how did these assholes not realize this?
>>
>>381991919
>Diamond City, the "jewel of the commonwealth"
>houses are cobbled-together scrap metal and looks like they could get torn down by a small child leaning on them too hard

>Goodneighbor is considered the shitty ghetto area
>at least they live in actual sturdy buildings
>>
>>381999427
>tfw 3d fallout can't let me aim for the eyes in VATS
>>
>>381993745

I found this to be the case.

Played it on the PS4 and I built up that Sanctuary Hills base using those concrete base cubes as walls since the metal walls just snap to place and fuck up your wall directions. I put some turrets around my Trump wall, built generators, water stills, and creature comforts for the residents who worked my farm.

When I was done, I looked around and felt annoyed that I couldn't fix the houses up properly. I tried the PC version when it was on sale last Christmas and the mods actually let you do stuff like live in pre-war homes.

Bethesda really is a group of lazy goyim with greedy Jews whipping them to shit a product onto shelves. They're still using an engine that they produced back in '06 or '07 and just add tiny updates to instead of building a new engine. Their writers are all hipster trash retards incapable of originality or common sense. It doesn't even make sense, the people in this game are living in a place where radioactive rain is a thing, and yet they can't be bothered to take all that scrap metal and smelt it down to make nice new sheets to either build solid homes or at least patch up the deteriorated old ones.

Their slogan should be "Bethesda, it's fun with mods."
>>
>>381996374
>while Bethesda focuses on the gameplay, graphics and engine

No.
Obsidian - Writing, Characters, Mechanics, Lore/Story, Weapons, Armor, Art Assets
Bethesda - Engine, Graphics, Gib monies, Code monkeys
>>
In the future we can keep exotic plasma weaponry operational 200 years after the collapse of society, but we can't build a straight wooden fence.
>>
>>381999921

Priorities.
It's more important to kill the people that disagree with you than have a sturdy home
>>
>>382000079
But that doesn't mean you have to make things purposefully shitty, people built log cabins in the 1800's and they still had to defend themselves from bears, wolves and injuns.
>>
>>381999921
Most regular people use shitty pipe weapons so only the BoS and Enclave types can maintain high tech stuff
>>
>>381999148

If you import new vegas saves the game crashes.
>>
File: 1497798815901.jpg (119KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1497798815901.jpg
119KB, 500x500px
>>381991919
>Playing on ps4 btw so no mods

Did you not see the opening menu that says mods?
>>
>>381995540
>Obsidian
They aren't that good anon, they can only write things sometimes and if Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity is anything to go by then meh
>>
File: Detroit.jpg (132KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Detroit.jpg
132KB, 640x360px
>>381991919
Because the game takes place in murrica.
>>
>>381999462
Those are the exact reasons I think the settlement system could be a good thing, if it was better implemented. For starters, one of the best things they could do is bring modders like Elianora and Kinggath into the team officially. They've already proven they're passionate and talented, so why not leverage that in a way that doesn't anger and alienate the community (coughpaidmodscough)?

>>381999480
Yeah, this is a simple fix that would improve the experience immensely. Lesson to be learned for next time, I guess.

>>381999562
I can understand scrappy houses for the first 20, 50 or 70-something years after the war. I can even understand them for about a century or more, especially in more isolated communities.

I really think Bethesda shot their art direction in the foot by making the newer Fallout games set 200 years after the war. By that point, there should be more green and growing things and societies starting to produce new materials and buildings, without having to rely exclusively on scrap, especially for more prestigious constructions. FFS at least add some shutters to those windows and clear out the broken glass!

>>381999669
Sadly, you can't separate Fallout from what it's become. Bethesda has a competent shooter there already, so it makes sense for them to handle gameplay... Possibly with some advice from Obsidian's ex-Troika staff, to give the player more ways to proceed and solve a problem than "I shoot it." Quest direction would certainly have to fall into Obsidian's hands. Likewise, Bethesda's graphics and art are solid, but they just don't fit the proposed setting. Provided DIRECTION was given to Obsidian, the actual assets can remain with Bethesda.

>>382000483
Nobody's perfect, hence why collaboration is far more likely to produce a good game than either team working in isolation.
>>
>>382000640
Unironically this. Murrica's already 3rd world tier.
>>
>>382000483
They always get cut off before they're totally done making something big. Kotor 2 and New Vegas were rushed games and still turned out really good. It's a shame they've had to scrape by playing second fiddle to Bioware and Bethesda when they outdo them in a lot of ways.
>>
File: alpha-protocol-screenshot-13.jpg (431KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
alpha-protocol-screenshot-13.jpg
431KB, 1280x720px
>>382000846

They just can't seem to make charismatic characters for some reason. Their heroes and villains are deep and flawed but they just don't make an impression.
>>
File: 20170626054653_1.jpg (283KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20170626054653_1.jpg
283KB, 1280x720px
>>382000686
>Bethesda has a competent shooter there already

I hate so fucking much about the guns in Fo4.
They sound awful.
Their silence sound is even worse. Even fucking High caliber rounds do the dumbass movie *plink* *plink* fucking noise when even a handgun isn't that quiet.
So fucking few guns in the first place. Almost no variety.
Combat rifle and shotgun are clones visually.

The only things they did right wee;
How Guns feel to hit targets with (improved vastly over 3 and NV, but still far below a competent FPS game)
The Gun modding system. (this was greatly improved upon from NV)

All the different crafting benches was great. But somehow they left out the Ammo bench that NV had.

DESU I just want a new Obsidian made Fallout on the engine and visuals of 4 that builds on all the good that Fo4 brought to the series.

This will literally never happen.
>>
>>382000640

Fuck me, they even have fog of war and everything.
>>
>>382000640

Fallout;Detroit

>it's set before the nukes even drop
>>
>>382001172
I don't get how everyone on /v/ is saying FO4 is a good shooter. I agree it's more of a shooter than an RPG but even the shooting is terrible.
>>
>>382001438
Because the gunplay is quite a large step up from 3 and NV, mechanically.
>>
>>382001518
The gunplay in 3 and NV were fine for an RPG.
Gunplay in 4 is just slightly better with everything else being far worse than in FO3.
>>
>>382001172
Bethesda aren't gun people, they spent most of their careers designing melee weapons in TES. Obsidian obviously has /k/ type people with a hard-on for guns and ammo types.
>>
>>382001782
>they spent most of their careers designing melee weapons in TES

And yet the weapons mostly look like shit, there are no spears and two handed weapons feel like wet noodles
>>
>>382001782
But the combat in TES is and always has been fucking shit.
>>
>>382001782
I have a hard-on for both.
And Obs managed to do melee better than Beth too.

>Obsidian obviously has /k/ type people with a hard-on for guns and ammo types.
Loved the video from one of the Obs devs who talked about going to the gun range to get a real feel for the guns for the game.

Wish more devs cared about getting the details right
Granted, NV is my only Obsidian game ever so idk about how well they do with other games
>>
>SPECIAL is butchered, zero substance, grade school writing and dialogues for the sake of muh settlements and muh gunplay

Fuck Bethesda.

I still can't believe it. I'm still mad, and I'll ALWAYS be mad.
>>
>>382002082
At least you didn't buy it, right anon? We've seen so many red flags before the game was released it was actually funny that some people STILL took the bait.
>>
>>382002082

You should be more pissed about what they did to the perk system
>>
File: Fallout 4 guns.gif (3MB, 452x254px) Image search: [Google]
Fallout 4 guns.gif
3MB, 452x254px
>>382001172
>I hate so fucking much about the guns in Fo4.

Say no more, senpai
>>
>>382002082
This is purely subjective and probably based on nostalgia.

I played FO3 first, then tried to play the first games and found them absolutely fucking repulsive.

Saying shit like "zero substance" just proves how biased you are. You WANT to not like the game because you are a typical /v/irgin fag reactionary.

People can have fun with a game without it being an absolute masterpiece and let's face it, the first games were objectively worse in many areas.
>>
File: Fallout 4 skills.png (671KB, 575x803px) Image search: [Google]
Fallout 4 skills.png
671KB, 575x803px
>>382002082
>>
>>382002338
kek

I'm not even a /k/fag and the way beth has guns bothers me a fucking lot. unless i'm an in the closet /k/fag
>>
>>381998904
>Wonder half the map down a main road
>Encounter literally 2 NPCs the entire time

Sure, the engine is the issue, yea
>>
>>382002405
Why don't you release Skyrim for Amiga Todd?

>>382002160
Of course I didn't buy it.
>>
>>382002638
Why don't you stop playing with your weewee virgin
>>
>>382002203
>radiant quest
>no skills
>perks are mostly just damage increase and nothing else
>can actually max your SPECIAL fully meaning there are no builds at all
>>
>>382002082
SPECIAL is better than FO3. Charisma is probably the most useful it's ever been in the entire series.
>>
File: ANGERY.gif (194KB, 200x202px) Image search: [Google]
ANGERY.gif
194KB, 200x202px
>>382002739

>5 ranks of buff damage for long gun
>5 ranks of buff damage for handgun
>5 ranks of buff damage for Automatic gun
>5 ranks of buff damage for BIG gun
>>
>>382002732
>target audience of Fallout 4
>>
>>382003071
>crying about vidya

get a life virgin
>>
>>382001172
Sound design is something that can be addressed. The shotgun and assault rifle similarity likewise is a problem with the looks, rather than the gunplay itself. Mechanically it's solid, but like so damn much of Bethesda's work, it's needs some heavy fucking polish.

They REALLY need to work on melee though. No Bethesda game I've ever played feels like I'm swinging anything with more impact than a wiffle bat.

>>382001518
>>382001757
The gunplay in 4 was indeed a step up, but by making it competent, they vastly reduced the need for VATS, which is a staple of the series... If they were to improve it, making the targeting of difficult weak points, or specific limbs more tactically valuable, rather than just plinking away at the head all the time, that'd be an improvement.

>>382002082
The perks system isn't a bad idea in itself... But yeah, skills and SPECIAL was far better in giving you some control over customisation and not feeling like by the end-game, you can do everything at once, including stealth in power armour or other such ridiculous shit.

Actually, taking a leaf from the Elder Scrolls might be a good idea, improving skills as you use them and tying SPECIAL to certain in-game feats, rather than a level-up, while perks unlock with traditional exp.

>>382002405
The whole point is that a game is supposed to be fun for the fans. A game should always strive to be the best it can be and cutting stuff out, watering down the RPG experience that most of the fans enjoy is just a dumb move.
>>
>>382002812
Because they based most of the checks on Charisma and Charisma only, doesn't matter if it's convincing comeone or wanting more caps for doing the job.

Still you can get 10 charisma because of maxing SPECIAL so it doesn't even matter
>>
>>382003136
No the whole point is that people get to create whatever the fuck they wanna create and if you don't like it you can fuck right off, noone forces you to buy things you don't like and cry about it on the internet
>>
>>382002739
It takes a long ass time to max everything out. Like 300 levels worth of gameplay. Most people probably start a new character long before that happens.
>>
>>382003132
t. Americlap Rebbitor who had so much fun with Fallout 4 and doesn't get the hate
>>
>>382003238

By the time I had actually finished all the main story, side quests, and DLC stuff I was like level 100 something.

I had long since run out of worthwhile perks/special to invest my levels into.
>>
>>381991919
>Playing on ps4 btw so no mods
Mistake number one. At least play the ecksbacks wann version or the wann ecks version in october for fucks sake.
>>
>>382003238
Not really. You can skip many perks depending on what you feel like getting, like not getting any unarmed/melee ones, stuff like that. You can easily get 10 Charisma early in the game and pass every single fucking check, or save during a dialogue, back out and equip some clothes that add charisma. Some SPECIAL points are not really worth to get maxed too depending on your way of playing.
>>
>>381999427
>making shit first person removes the technology and neuters the engine.
When you say shit like this it's clear you have no clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>382000483
yeah but those 2 are original IPs so its extra work they have to put in, not to mention their own money
if they got bethesda money to make new vegas 2 with the engine already being a thing and the setting already set up it will be great
>>
this is kind of a problem with fallout in general. think of how many dirty ass mattresses and pre-war shit you see being used by people. It makes no sense that 200 years later people are incapable of making anything themselves.
>>
>>382003529
You still get advantages and disadvantages depending on your starting SPECIAL. Yes you can become a god eventually but it won't matter once you do everything anyway. I noticed a big difference in hacking when I started with 9 intelligence compared to 5, it narrows down the number of words dramatically and makes things easier.
>>
>>382004120

Start with only max Int and Char and you'll be on the fast track to fucking shit sideways town
>>
>>382003226
Which is more engaging? Making a character who has flaws, so that as they develop, you have to either compensate for a weakness, or specialise in your talents...

Or making a character who you know is eventually going to be able to do anyything and everything, so ultimately all challenge vanishes?

There's no way that limiting what you can develop a little, limits what you can create; you can still direct your character any way you like. It just provides you with a little more direction and capacity to roleplay.

>>382004120
>Hacking
Be that as it may, your intelligence doesn't really come in handy in other ways, or effect gameplay options the way it used to in previous installments. For instance, I sure as hell didn't notice all that many differences in dialogue between my high and low-int playthroughs.

Yes, there were a couple of instances where you got a slightly different line of dialogue, but nothing that really made it feel like you were dumb as a brick, or the next Einstein. It CERTAINLY did nothing to open new options, or lock you out of certain routes.
>>
Settlement are useless so I stopped to care about that shit and deleted the game.
Thx god I pirated it.
>>
>>382002338
>>382002480
It's stupid but a lot of shooters do this, it's because they want you to see the animations they've made.
>>
>>382004906
It's very useful for making caps. Once you set up the best stores and a bunch of water purifiers the caps will roll in if you come back and sell water after doing stuff for 20 minutes.
>>
>>382005470
But there's nothing to buy with those caps.
>>
>>381997191
Settlement building in fallout 5 should be limited to a single flat location. There should be no unnamed npcs being NEET leeches/ wageslaves for you. Instead it should serve as companion housing and hold named npcs, available through dialogue, encounters, and questing. Each named NPC serves a real purpose (sells items of a specific variety, provides a unique service etc). Settlement attacks would no longer be random and would instead be byproducts of the main quest and sidequesting, illustrating the impact the player has on the world.

Settlements fixed.
>>
>>382005736
There's expensive legendary weapons and armor at various shops and ammo for guns like the gauss rifle and plasma cost a lot. You can also buy better stuff to arm your settlers with and material shipments for crafting.
>>
>>381996859
>it's what many, MANY people want and both companies have much to gain from a partnership.
Literally nobody wants this except you autists on this board. Fuck off Obshitian drone.
>>
File: fallput.jpg (30KB, 459x264px) Image search: [Google]
fallput.jpg
30KB, 459x264px
>tfw can't make TTW work

I can't for the love of Gaaad follow the step of
>Navigate to the TTW install directory and move the FOMODs (TaleOfTwoWastelands_Main.fomod, TaleOfTwoWastelands_Options.fomod) to your FOMM FNV mods folder
As I get pic related. Reinstalled TTW twice and it still gets blocked in the same fucking spot. Any tips?
>>
>>382005875
This.

Special NPC's and Companions should work like how Great Builders/Thinkers work in the Civ series.

Certain companions that need to be earned add certain benefits or negatives to a settlement, for example, by letting Hancock into a settlement you can a bonus to chem production - or with Dance, allowing BoS craftables or solidifying BoS presence in the surrounding area.

Special NPC's can be handled the same way as MGSV - a special quest pops up due to settler recon, you go on a mission to procure or rescue the NPC and once stationed they can provide intel on towns, allow trade, or even act as craftsmen.
>>
>>382005875
At the very least, settlements which meet certain requirements should attract named NPCs with quests and personalities, in addition to the nameless schlubs.

And for the love of god, while customisation is nice, Kinggath had the right idea; you should not have to be responsible for every tiny little thing in your settlement! You're the mayor/general of the minutemen/whatever, not someone's fussy mum making the beds for them!

The idea of giving your companions homes is pretty good too; as your bond with them deepens, they could start feeling more at home with you, decorating the house/room you give them to seem more like it belongs to them.

>>382006073
Again, it's not something you should have to micro-manage. It'd be a far better option to be able to set up a dedicated hub for external trade, or an armoury for the militia to tool themselves up at (with some settlers assigned to defence getting better guns than the rest). You provide the caps and maybe raw materials and machinery and then it runs itself.

That way, your wealth and success would be a factor of external trade. If the number of cool rare weapons and ammo in the world was reduced too, you'd be forced to choose between using the settlement to fund yourself, or keeping it prosperous and protected, so that quest-givers show up and don't get murdered to death. The level of stores and the goods they have available could also be tied to how much external trade you have, rather than a simple function of having the right perk and building a better stall.

>>382006295
>Followers granting buffs to a settlement
Another great idea! And again, you'd have to choose between taking them with you for more immediate, personal benefits, or keeping them behind in town. Some might even get miffed if you keep pulling the lone wolf shit, as they're not with you to play homemaker, but to adventure, or to pursue their own goals and agendas.
>>
>Cont
>>382006630
>>382006295
Basically, some companions might get pissed if they don't get to go out and explore or fight with you; or they might have skills and talents that make them better as town supervisors or militia officers and not like being taken out into the wild and wooly word. Some might get pissed if you don't let them pursue their own agenda or goals too. It'd make companions feel far more alive and like real people, rather than something you collect, then stick in the nearest settlement forever, while you stick to using just one or two of your favourites.

>>382006091
Right, so you can be safely ignored... Can you give me a reason why partnering with Obsidian would be a BAD thing? Most of /v/ agrees that New Vegas was by far the best of the new Fallout games.
>>
>>382006630
>At the very least, settlements which meet certain requirements should attract named NPCs with quests and personalities, in addition to the nameless schlubs.

By adding grotesque decoration, keeping a settlement filthy, adding cages, ect. allow Raiders to be attracted to it.

Keeping it heavily fortified, adding turrets and defense, have the chance of Gunners defecting to join your settlement.

I can go on.
>>
>>382006937
About Gunners, they were a fucking wasted potential to be an interesting mercenary faction, and they made them Generic Fiend tier.
>>
>>382006909
I just finished Bioshock: Infinite, and I truly believe Elizabeth is the pinnacle of a follower NPC. The way she interacts with the world around her, assists the player, and comments on the plot/mission is god-tier.

I would love to have seen/heard more from F4's companions. At least match Bioware's KotOR
>>
With so many good ideas in this thread, I'm shocked that Bethesda didn't think of any of this.

Or was production rushed to a point where they just couldn't deliver?
>>
>>382006267
>for the love of Gaaad
ok now I think you're a mongoloid so I'm going to try the retard thing:
how is your hard drive formatted? as in what's the file system on it? I don't think hard drives ever come with FAT32 these days but you never know
>>
>>382006909
Not him, but Obsidian isn't the same team that gave us NV. They haven't produced any other masterpieces, or even anything solid since.

I'd rather see fallout outsourced to another 3rd party, or even kept to Bethesda if they're willing to consider their mistakes
>>
>>382007021
They're basically just a crazier BoS without power armor. They're run like a military and don't do drugs or anything but still attack anyone weak like raiders do. I think they exist primarily to give you energy weapon enemies to fight if you side with the BoS.
>>
>>382007021
Don't fucking get me started. Even Talon Company in Fo3 at least had a REASON for attacking you and had a bit to say about it. The Gunners are literally exactly the same as generic raiders, just with better gear. They're described as 'mercenaries' but you never see or hear of anyone actually hiring them! They just attack fuckers at random and occupy the occasional pile of shit, just like every other raider in the game!

>>382006937
What'd be even more interesting is if raiders moved in, or were captured and there was some way to rehabilitate them into productive citizens. It may be focusing too much on the details rather than the big picture, but that'd even make for a really neat quest: Some raiders want to give up the life and appeal to you for help. Obvious moral choice of punishing them for them crimes, even though they want to repent; telling them to fuck off because your other settlers want their heads; accepting them even though everyone tells you you'll regret it... There could even be a follow-up where one or a small group of them cause trouble and everyone is all, "SEE? I TOLD YOU SO!" while many of the other raiders are like, "Yeah naw, that was all Jim, we didn't have anything to do with it; we'll even help you out!"

It'd make them more than nameless, faceless sacks of exp to kill, especially if when they shout, "Don't shoot, I surrender!" they actually ran off and maybe came back later all, "Yo, you spared my life, I appreciate that; mind if I move in?" or "Hey, I owe you one - I'll tell the boys to let you through."

>>382007126
Bioshock: Infinite gets a lot of flak on /v/ and much of it is deserved, but Elizabeth was an example of a companion done well, I'll give you that. She felt like a part of the game, rather than the usual disaster you're burdened with during an escort quest.

>>382007280
Or they just thought, "Why spend the effort to make a GREAT game, when we can make one that'll make mad bank, for less time, effort and money?"
>>
File: 1498332861000.jpg (77KB, 777x728px) Image search: [Google]
1498332861000.jpg
77KB, 777x728px
>>381991919
Number one because autism limits fun in every possible situation I suggest you seek treatment

Number two infrastructure is dead and a big theme in fallout is the people with the infrastructure to make better shit

Either
A) Don't give a fuck
B) Hate you
C) Hate everything
D) Isolationist
E) A little of everything above

Also a lot of the materials is second hand irradiated garbage go figure

>inb4 SCIENCE

Nigga it's Fallout they fucking put Nuclear reactors in fucking toasters you clearly want an entirely different post apoc game
>>
>>382008076
>Bioshock: Infinite gets a lot of flak on /v/

Off topic, but why?
>>
>>382008294
It has good reviews
>>
>>382008076
Gunners do get hired by people. Cabot family hired them to guard the asylum, there's one guarding a merchant named Fred and in the institute quest "Pinned" the gunners will replace the minutemen if you didn't bother with them. They're very territorial and shoot anyone who comes close to their turf and attack any place the perceive to be valuable.
>>
>>382001423
>The ending is when the bomb falls as the plot twist
>>
>>382007408
See now, this is legitimate criticism; I can accept that. Do we have the numbers on who left Obsidian between F:NV and today? I mean it stands to reason; they nearly went totally bankrupt, so I can totally understand why some members might have jumped ship.

Keeping Fallout just a Bethesda thing is a slow death however. They have no reason to try and innovate, so the series will just gradually become more shit. By bringing in other, proven developers, there's a much greater chance of them being exposed to new, good ideas that even if they're initially implemented poorly, can later be refined.

>>382008294
Five words for you: "Wait a minute, that card."

Plus, many of the trailers showcased something that looked far more interesting than the final game was.

Plus Elizabeth was made plainer compared to the trailers. Granted, it'd be creepy given her relation to Booker, but still, the rest of us wanted boobies.
>>
>>382006091
Is that why New Vegas sold almost 10 times as much as FO3?
>>
>>382008570
If they shoot anyone who comes near their turf, how the fuck does anyone ever manage to hire them? Plus, bullets and medicine are expensive; it makes more sense for a mercenary company to at least tell you to fuck off first, rather than risk a firefight that means expenses and potential losses.
>>
>>382009018
I think they mainly shoot people who look like threats to them such as the sole survivor. Some wastelander in rags delivering a note from a rich guy to hire them or something probably get through.
>>
>>382009018
>If they shoot anyone who comes near their turf, how the fuck does anyone ever manage to hire them?

Remember walking into The Third Rail and finding the Gunners threatening MacReady? There were no guns blazing or shooting involved; meaning their are most likely neutral ones in towns or Diamond City where meetings can be arranged for jobs and hiring.

If some random idiot walks up to one of their strongholds all willy nilly, they have perfect reason to shoot given the world they live in.
>>
>>382009675
Still doesn't explain why they don't just give you a cordial "Fuck off, scavenger," first.

Anyway, we're getting sidetracked! Other refinements and new elements for Fallout 5! Let's go!
>>
>>382007354
NTFS. Sorry for the long time of response anon. I'm almost moving it from one disk to another, not any external ones or anything.
>>
>>382012087
yeah I don't know then, I'm tempted to say something's up with your hard drive because googling your error message only gives results that have nothing to do with TTW whatsoever
>>
>>382000246
Preston Garvey has laser gun, the doctor who saves you in FoNV gives you one.
>>
>>382012489
I suppose that's the problem. I'll try to install TTW one more time but on the same disk I have both F3 and FNV and then try to copy it, maybe it'll work.
>>
>>382000686
Fallout 2 was set like 170-180 years after the war and it has places like Vault City and San Francisco that look perfectly neat, for the wealthier people anyway. Slums will always be slums but it never made any sense for people who actually have power and influence to be living in rubble.
>>
>>382012547
I wish we had a bit more justification for the energy weapons and the like... I mean, I can kind of accept that yes, pre-war commonwealth was a centre of high-tech industry and as such, the components for a cobbled-together weapon like the laser musket might be readily available, but why is there X-01 power armour and plasma weapons scattered about?

Trying loot to level was a mistake, in my opinion.

>>382012674
Yeah but meanwhile in Fo3 and 4 and even NV to an extent, everything's fucking wrecked and made out of scrap. I'm not saying there shouldn't BE some scrap buildings around, but after two cocking centuries, you'd think people would have started to make their own things by now, surely?
>>
>>381995540
Yeah i can't wait for le epik reddit lolsorandumbXD companions.

Their quirkiness makes them so interesting.
>>
>>382014641
What are some epik lolsorandum characters in NV?
>>
>>382008294
It's an SJW game.
>>
>>382015208
>It's an SJW game.
>It is an social justice warrior game.
>an
>>
>>382015743
You pronounce S like "es" no?
>>
>>382014641
Not ALL of them are that bad, surely?

But okay, let's make this productive: What makes for a good character, or a good companion?
>>
File: OblivionWithGuns.jpg (137KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
OblivionWithGuns.jpg
137KB, 1024x768px
>>381991919
Hmm... I wonder why.
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.