[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate fighting games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F09B9Tib7Vs
I've always hated fighting games, and I've never been able to articulate why. After I watched this video, I think most of my complaints are pretty similar. Basically, the genre is too limited. Every match is just the same couple of characters doing the same couple of moves. Could people that like these games explain they're appeal, cause I really don't get it?
>>
>>381966251
>Could people that like these games explain they're appeal
They have fun playing them. This isn't deep psychology, it's a video game.
>>
What a bizarre question. Have you never played a sport remotely seriously? Have you never played chess with someone? Or rummy or hearts? Any simple multiplayer game? The heart of them is tactics. Rapid, on-the-fly layers of strategy which compound and challenge each player's knowledge, reaction time, and ingenuity.
If you're still having trouble here, I guess read this article https://insertcredit.com/2012/11/14/ten-games-pong-is-better-than/ it sort of boils it down in roundabout ways how competition and simplicity are very engaging.

>>381966350
Protip "explain their(sic) appeal" is asking "why do they find it fun?"
>>
>>381966251
I've never seen anyone with such a fundamental misunderstanding of the fightan genre like the person who made that video.
He's like the ultimate turbo casual shitter.
>>
File: observe.png (219KB, 334x306px) Image search: [Google]
observe.png
219KB, 334x306px
>>381966251
Oh sure man, no problem.

People who play fighting games and like the genre enjoy them because of the interaction it gives with another person. You could get the same appeal from any kind of 1v1 sport. A person who enjoys fighting games is the sort of person that enjoys pitting themselves against others to see how they stack up. Also the mentality of participating to improve as well as win is common. Classically this is a more masculine trait that is pushed by the testosterone chemical. This is not to say that only men have this quality, it is just more common in men.

You're missing the appeal because you either give little to no value in how you compare to others or you are not exposed to that appeal because you can't see/feel past the visual medium. You may well enjoy 1v1 sports or martial arts competition style stuff but you might not get it from fighting games because you're simply unable to be immersed by video games in this way, which can happen. If the latter is the case I would ask what games you enjoy at all and why, but I think the first option is more likely to be correct.

Hope that clears it up, bud.
>>
>>381968960
He's very odd, he says he understands the genre, and that he's seen everything there is to see in 1 round, but it's so far away from the point. I don't think he's that much of a shitter, it's that he doesn't value personal competition at all. I don't know this guy or what he's into but based on the figures in the room and from what he says all he really probably cares about is experiences in games. AKA Exploring a landscape, being scared in a horror game, laughing at a funny bit of comedy, role playing into a scenario.

Self improvement and honing of ability probably don't show up on this guys radar at all, meaning he probably doesn't go out of his way to improve in any game he plays and any improvements he makes are simply due to his body and mind naturally getting used to the game/system he's interacting with. All this is fine and most people think it's just an opinion they have but it goes deeper than that. The roots of the "opinion" are what matters here and you can see it all in this video.
>>
File: 1497983203899.webm (1015KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497983203899.webm
1015KB, 1280x720px
>>381966251
i love fighting games
start with something basic like street fighter 2 and learn when to press buttons. simply knowing when you can jump over a fireball and punish without getting hurt opens up the genre a lot.

fighting games come down to a giant game of rock/paper/scissors
>>
>>381970016
he's seen everything there is to see in 1 round, but it's so far away from the point
This right is absolutely baffling to me.
It's like saying that you only need to play one game of Chess to get the full experience that such a game can ever provide, it's like he doesn't understand that no two rounds/games will ever the same thanks to the human element that's involved in any 1v1 competitively driven activity.
>>
>>381970841
>he's seen everything there is to see in 1 round, but it's so far away from the point.
Fucked up my greentext because I'm a retard
>>
>>381966251
Then go play Toribash or something.There you have all the possibilities you can think of.
>>
>>381970807
I don't play guilty gear. Did he just cancel a tech roll which made him airborne? That's crazy
>>
>>381968960
>>381970016
>>381970841
I didn't even bother watching the video (I just woke up and I really don't need the aggravation) but he sounds like he's autistic. Not even "ha-ha-trolling" autistic, but genuinely autistic.

>>381966350
>>381967874
>>381970841
By extension, so does OP
>>
File: 1432762976476.jpg (786KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1432762976476.jpg
786KB, 1280x1707px
>>381966251
Except his criticism is that he doesn't enjoy basically what's a boss rush game but against other people. What makes people enjoy fighting games is that those contained fights have so much variety and depth depending on the characters and players that you can come back and get a different fight each time.
>>
>>381971309
sol has a grounded divekick-esque move that moves him back into the corner before going active. you see him yrc out of the startup to move backwards quickly
>>
>>381971309
Nah, Guilty Gear only has hard knockdowns. Sol used a special move called Riot Stamp (https://youtu.be/DiJ2slxEAyM?t=623) on wakeup and Yellow Roman Canceled (25% meter to cancel any move on startup and some moves in early active frames) it followed by an air throw.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.