[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which generation(s) "ruined" Pokémon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 524
Thread images: 79

File: AllPokémonGenerations.jpg (493KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AllPokémonGenerations.jpg
493KB, 1920x1080px
Which generation(s) "ruined" Pokémon?
>>
>>381960354
generation 1
>boxart wasn't mew or mewtwo
>>
>>381960354
I wouldn't say "ruined", but gen 3 definitely changed Pokemon more than any other.
>>
The gen 1, 2, and 3 remakes werent gens 1, 2, and 3 respectively. They were gen 3, 4, and 6.
>>
I wouldn't say "ruined" but by the time it got to gen 3 it was too rehashy, the art style is ugly and it didn't have a true Stadium game. At that point they knew they didn't have to try as hard in order for Pokemon to sell.
>>
Gen 6
3D was a mistake
>>
>>381960354

I don't know, I got burned out with 4, liked 5 but didn't play at launch, 6 was the moment I realized I just can't with these games anymore

Best gens are 2 and 3 for me
>>
>>381960354
The first generation you were an adult.
>>
>>381960354
3 and beyond.
>>
I grew up with Gen 4, but the HGSS remakes are what turned me off for good
>>
>>381961461

>grew up with gen 4

You have to be 18 to use this site kiddo
>>
>>381960904
Basically this once they removed the pixel art, and gave us this ugly 3D I just stopped
>>
The designs started to get a bit wonky even as early as Gen 2.

I'd say it was enjoyable up to Gen 3 but they completely jumped the shark after that point.

I still enjoy playing through the new ones though, I'm just not able to play them for as long as I used to.
>>
>>381961579
The sprites were original and expressive unlike the new 3D models that just kinda stand there. 3D move animations also look like shit compared to 4th generation.
>>
III was when things started to go south but it wasn't *that* bad. IV was irrecoverable. I was also 11 when it came out and that probably factored in. Still though, it just felt too weird. The pokemon and story just felt too contrived.
>>
>>381960354
>>
>>381961687
Gen1 designs were already largely, or I'd say half, trash. You got a walking mass of tentacles and two goggly eyes, some mean looking eggs, some weird-ass "tadpole" with legs, a fucking ganguro, etc.
Don't let the nostalgia blind you. They weren't all "animal-like".
>>
They're all similar, but obsessed Pokefags will insist any minor change killed the series. Genwunners hate Gen III and anything that came after, Hoennbabbies hate Black and White, BW2fags hate the 3DS as a whole, and so on.
>>
>>381960354
After BW2 which was basically the 2nd Peak.
everything after you can ignore, if you'd like.
>>
File: 1402220400800.jpg (66KB, 476x426px) Image search: [Google]
1402220400800.jpg
66KB, 476x426px
>>381960354
The games I had the most fun with were Gold, Sapphire/Emerald, and Diamond/Platinum.

Red was great, but when I got the promotional disc for GS and went through it with my brother (with my dad's help) I was totally starry-eyed. That was the first time I experienced pre-launch hype, and that was before the internet (or at least easy access) so I just INHALED every moment of the game when it came out. It was a blast.
Similar case with Sapphire. I just came to love the Hoenn region so fucking much, there's so much to do there. Lots of secrets to find, paths and waterways to explore.
And again with Sinnoh, too.

Then gen 5 came. It was great for the first couple hours, but then I realized how terribly linear it was. There was nothing to do, everything was railroaded - beat gym leader, gym leader opens path for you to the next city, follow short and boring route, arrive in city. Rinse and repeat. Not to mention half the world map was blocked until you beat the main story. Maybe I would have liked it better if I did Entralink stuff more. Too late now, though.

So I guess the fact that Unova (the region, specifically) is awful and the fact that I'd graduated high school, gotten a job, and became cynical made gen 5 my Pokemon-ruiner.
>>
>>381961551
IV came out 11 years ago nigger He could have been seven when it came out and 18 now.
>>
>>381960354
>>
>>381960354
Gen I - V was the peak of the franchise. The Spin-offs were unique and fun. The anime and manga was nice and charming. No shitty 3D nonsense.
>>
I've never played Pokemon game. Which should I play if I want to play one?
>>
File: 549b829c35a.jpg (64KB, 642x598px) Image search: [Google]
549b829c35a.jpg
64KB, 642x598px
The last game I played was at the end of gen 4 but I still like pokemon despite that.
>>
>>381960354
Sun and Moon are bad, X and Y were the start of the decline, and everything is is at least good. Diamond and Pearl had the problem with the slow-ass battles even with animations turned off, but were otherwise good.
>>
>>381960354
Gen 6 and 7
7 gets as much blame as 6 because they fixed none of the problems that 6 introduced
>>
gen 3 brought the most drastic changes but gen 5 is where the franchise really went downhill. even gen 4 was tolerable enough until that point and it hasn't recovered since then. gen 2 is definitely where the series peaked though

also this >>381961230
its literally unshakable
>>
4, easily
>>
File: 1406043372195.png (508KB, 900x731px) Image search: [Google]
1406043372195.png
508KB, 900x731px
I wouldn't say it's related to the Gens, more like which handheld they were on.
3DS has only achieved mediocre games at best while the previous DS handheld had the best games.
>>
File: chef1.jpg (179KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
chef1.jpg
179KB, 1600x1200px
>>381960354
They haven't been "ruined" per se, but the games have changed drastically from the original community, playstyle, and general game elements despite keeping a similar premise.
1 initiated it.
A typical excuse plot of many games at the time, with a somewhat unique gimmick of being able to choose from an enormous amount of different party members, all of which were powerful, strange monsters. It was new-ish, and at the time, the community had just been started. Kids would pass info around, people would make up stories for themselves, rumors and such circulated, it was a phenomenon that can't be replicated today.
Gen 2 came around and was kind of like an expansion. It wasn't TOO different from the core that was established at the time, so the only big differences were the extra parts and it wasn't AS new.
Gen 3 rolled around and oh boy, there was some mixed responses.
Some people loved the new designs, some hated how different the style was. A lot of small internet groups had begun to pop up for it, and for the first time, the community lost the sense of personal connection for a lot of people despite having to meet in person for trading, etc. It began a new era, especially with the lack of a connective transfer from 1 and 2 to it (which was complained about quite a bit). A huge turning point.
Gen 4 was when it really got into the modern style (at the time).
While it was lacking in speed, it was brimming in new online features. The game itself edged in a little more story but largely followed in the legendary-centric steps of the plot of Hoenn. While the community could connect in more ways than ever before, it further diminished the original, face to face interaction of the old community and introduced a new standard for competitive Pokemon. This was the period where true powercreep really took off, despite gen 3 introducing many Pokemon that annihilated the older ones.

Continued.
>>
>>381960354
Gen 4 and 6
>>
>>381960354
4 was the point of no return
>>
>>381960354
gen 3 was kinda bad, 4 was still great, shit started going downhill with gen 5.
>>
>>381961945
Don't really care about the animal aspect. I just don't like a lot of the newer designs because they're too busy.

That being said I don't hate new stuff across the board and I don't think every Gen 1 design was good.
>>
>>381962427
this is very true but 5 was where i think it became objectively bad
>>
>>381960354
I dropped the franchise as soon as Gen 6 came out, I still play everything that came before though
>>
No generation ruined Pokemon. All gens are good. Some you may dislike or prefer over others, but they're all good.

Gen 5 is probably the least innovative, followed by Gen 7.
>>
>>381962590
But 5 was good.
>>
File: Hikari Iris.jpg (506KB, 810x960px) Image search: [Google]
Hikari Iris.jpg
506KB, 810x960px
>>381962152
Platinum's a solid starting point, with a nice balance of single player battling, different side content, and an above average Pokemon lineup, at least compared to a lot of other games. Black/White 2 is a very good game if you're focused on battling, as there's features like the PWT, where you can battle a whole bunch of trainers from the old games, and the White Treehollow. The nonbattling side content is different from Platinum's, so you might not like it as much in that regard, since Pokestars is still battle-heavy, and the Musicals are a huge downgrade compared to contests. The Pokemon lineup's even bigger than Platinum's, which is nice.
If you're only focused on multiplayer, either get XY for casual online, or wait for Ultra Sun and Moon if you want to keep up with the metagame. XY's PSS system and added convenience make it a great game if you want to battle, trade, or breed for strong Pokemon whenever.
>>
The people who hate modern Pokemon were never real fans, just mouthbreathers who bought into the fad in gens 1 and 2. While gen 6 and 7 had bleh postgames, the actual mechanics were wonderful to anyone who actually plays the games.

Anyways if your favorite Pokemon isn't Emerald, Platinum, HGSS or BW2 you probably have garbage taste.
>>
>>381962353
That's all interesting m8, but I doubt the average /v/ag misses face-to-face trading much.
>>
Gen 5.
>>
>all these memers saying that gen V was bad

lmao bunch of fucking children, is it bad because you can't get muh pikachu early? kys stupid toddlers and keep crying

Pokemon died with X and Y.

You just have to see the version differences between Black and White and the differences between X and Y to see what I'm talking about
>>
>>381962152
start with the first like you would any album.
>>
>>381960354
Gen 4.
-Slow games
-Overpowered critters
-Physical/Special split was a badly planned disaster
-Weak music
-Dumbed down Battle Frontier
-Even the remakes were bad
>>
>>381960608
>Gen 2
-split special stat to make it less retarded
-added day/night cycle
-added phone for rematches against trainers
-added the mom bank (even though she spent your money on stupid shit)
-added roving legendaries
-added hold items

>Gen 3
-removed day/ night cycle but added more weather moves
-removed the phone (at least until Emerald) but added entirely revamped grafix
-took away moving sprites but added them back in emerald
-added double battles
-added natures
-added abilities
-added a new bike

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Gen 3 refined a lot of the battling but took away some of the other stuff that was nice like day and night
>>
>>381960354
>>
>>381962958
Shit Gen 3 had the Battle Frontier too. Or at least Emerald did. What did ORAS replace that with again?
>>
>>381963093
Shitty battle mansion.
>>
Honestly, I feel like it only just got ruined. This previous generation introduced something I'd always been concerned would get shoved into pokemon - railroaded story. There's no adventure in Sun and Moon, it's so fucking straightforward. You have a fucking navpoint showing you where to go next. Every 10 fucking minutes there's a cutscene. A fucking cutscene. Pokemon spawns make absolutely no sense. I found a Growlithe and a Slowpoke in the same patch of grass at the BEGINNING of the game. I found a Magnemite not 5 minutes later. Do the devs not know how strong these pokemon are early game? You can play the first fucking half of your game only using Magnemite.

I don't hate the 3D models, I'm sure they'll look fine in the Switch game, but the overall design philosophy for the game seems like it's fucked. It was hinted at in Black, got real fucking bad in X/Y, and now is full blown fucking storybook.

Gen 4 did have a lot of problems though, one of them being serious powercreep on older pokemon. I'm not a gen1 anon, but I feel like if you're going to add pokemon that are just gen 1 designs with better stats, you need to buff the gen 1 pokemon a little bit.
>>
>>381962952
>being against the physical/special split
Legitimately kill yourself.
>>
File: concern.jpg (203KB, 799x799px) Image search: [Google]
concern.jpg
203KB, 799x799px
>>381962686
you sure about that?

all the pokemon were over designed to hell and the story was a mess, plus this was the generation where any chance of a real rival became dead, and at least for me it was the first gen where the starters went from all good to all trash
>>
>>381962909
5 was the worst because it added same-gen sequels, resulting in the series being even more of a shallow cashgrab than it already was.
>>
The one that added least amount was gen 6

Every generation means something to someone
>>
>>381963093
Nothing? "Just play the min/max autismo online!" is the excuse I remember.
>>
>>381963156
N was one of the best rivals in the series you fucking pleb.
>>
>>381962952
This anon's just mad Alakazam isn't broken anymore
>>
>>381963260
N is definitely an antagonist, not a rival. Blue was your rival but he wasn't the antagonist of the game, Giovanni was.
>>
>>381963156
Friend rivals were okay when only 1 of them was super friendly and the other was literal Jesus.
Wanting edgelords as rivals all the time was stale.
and what the the blue hell to you mean by overdesigned?
Gen 5 had a fuckton of simple shit like
>a fucking caterpillar
>a fucking karate man
>a fucking rock
>a fucking garbage bag
and more.
And Team Plasma vs the world was a pretty gud story, maybe we just have different taste.
>>
I like pretty much all gens, but the 3ds games are by far the worst Pokemon games, with S/M being the worst, and ORAS being the least worst only because of it being a remake of a previous game so it feels "complete".
>>
>>381962909
>i-if you don't like Gen V you're a genwunner!
Anti-nostalgia hipsters are the worst. The problem with BW wasn't that it lacked old Pokemon (hell, you could trade or get old mons from Dream World if you wanted to so badly), it's that it was the first games that forced the power of friendship railroading plot down your throat, and lacked difficulty at all. A Moxie Krookodile can steamroll through since all the opponents use total shitmons, until you reach Ghetsis and N's final battle, and in that case you get Zekrom/Reshiram anyway. Region design's bland, and while BW2's additions helped a lot, it still didn't fix the short blandness of the old routes.
>>
>>381963462
He's a rival, just like Wally was. You're retarded if you think Rival is limited to the people who pick a different starter than you.
>>
>>381963369
To be fair psychics were straight up bullshit in Gen1

>The only move psychics were weak to was Pinmissile. Which was not only extremely weak but was also primarily used by Beedrill or Jolteon. And no sane person would use Beedrill on purpose.
>>
Gen 6. It was when ORAS came out that the head of Pokemon said that nobody wants postgame because people do not have the attention span to want to play them because they are all on their phones.
>>
File: pokemon_go_logo.png (119KB, 608x370px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon_go_logo.png
119KB, 608x370px
>>381960354
Gen normie
>>
>>381962353
Gen 5 was really something else.
In what many fans regard as a "soft reboot" of it, this gen had an enormous amount of new Pokemon, and limited the player to only these Pokemon. It received heavy criticism for lacking the ability to use older Pokemon. These games in particular though introduced a heavier focus on plot, with an overarching storyline that took the formerly one-off characters with only a few boxes of dialogue at most and replaced them with characters that were pivotal to the plot and experienced change within the story. The community advanced from where it had been in gen 4 in regards to online connectivenes but this gen in particular birthed a split between the fandom.
Gen 6 took the series and changed it to it's final stage for the "modernization" of the game elements overall.
With drastic graphical changes such as the jump to full 3D models and worlds, and the full realization of online capability, the game shifted focus dramatically. The story focus of the previous games took a backseat (with an odd plot that had the makings to be as developed as the last, but ultimately was not as developed and lacked character development as well) to the online connectivity and play, with a campaign that many view as suffering in content. This gen brought numerous features that gave the players a great deal more reason to play with each other, even if they were not members of the competitive community. While it could not re-establish the older style of community, it created the most active one in regards to said features. Opinions on it are generally mixed and extreme, ranging from people who loved the focus given to online play to people who despised the singleplayer. Also had a very low amount of new species, compensated by "mega evolutions" to existing ones.
Gen 7 is also somewhat contentious, but moderately less so from what I've seen.
These games are what finally resulted of being more modernized to fit the climate of the games around it
Cont'd
>>
>>381963596
>No sane person would use Beedrill on purpose
You can't fucking handle my Swords Dance Pin Missile bitch
>>
>>381960354
2nd one
>>
>>381963549
Not really, but if you are willing to shit on Gen V, then you are OBLIGATED, to shit on half of Gen IV, Gen VI, Gen VII and Gen III if you are not a complete and utter hypocrite.

Also are you going to tell me that you prefer Sinnoh to Unova?

Unova was an improvement
>>
>>381963597
Yeah, I feel like ORAS was the low point for the series in terms of quality. Sun & Moon were much much better.
>>
>>381963568
N was the bad guy of the video game. His goals were opposite yours and he went out of his way to impede you, as you did to him. His motivations make him an antagonist, not the pokemon he uses.
>>
>>381963597
But gen 6 is the best generation thus far, and ORAS is the best game.

If you think this is bait, odds are you're underage.
>>
>>381963658
Gen 5 was the Street Fighter 3 of Pokemon. The one game that changed up everything and everyone either loved it or fucking hated it. The only difference is that there isn't a Daigo Parry for Gen 5 to have a bunch of hipsters who never played it to rally around it.
>>
>>381963791
They really should've stopped at Gen 6. Why can't we have new adventures in pre-established regions?
>>
Gen 5>Gen 2>Gen 4>Gen 7>Gen 3>Gen 6>Gen 1
If not for FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver, I'd rank Gens 4 and 3 lower.
>>
>>381963739
I love Unova but Sinnoh is a great region too. One is more urban, one is more rugged.

I never got the linear complaints about gen 5, there are so many side areas to find and explore.
>>
I don't feel like any of them are irredeemable.
>>
Sure the new games are slightly easier but having so many years of pokemon knowledge would make any game easy
>>
>>381963597
> It was when ORAS came out that the head of Pokemon said that nobody wants postgame because people do not have the attention span to want to play them because they are all on their phones.

It sucks but he is right, Pokemon is primarily for children and what do all children have these days? Phones, phones that can play games.
>>
>>381963260
except he isn't even your rival

>>381963474
let me correct myself: all over designed shit or lazy rehashes from the first generation. and not every rival has to be an edge lord but they could be shitted to make someone other than a childhood friend.
>>
>>381963758
He's described as a rival by Gamefreak so I'm going to stop replying to you. Unless you want to tell me you know better than Gamefreak about what is and isn't a Rival.
>>
5. 150 Pokémon led to a lot of terrible designs. Decent game but the Pokémon are worse than those bonus evolutions from gen 4z
>>
>>381963968
>Down to your last pokemon simply because you're too lazy to go to the pokemon center
>Enemy has type advantage
>You have 1 HP
>They use Screech until the cows come home, never dealing that 1 point of damage
>>
>>381963597
did we play the same game? I thought ORAS had a good endgame from what i remember, of course not as a strong as like, gen 2 or whatever, but idk i liked it. Your not wrong about Gen 6 being when it died though (X&Y suck, ORAS is an anomaly, gen 7 is for toddlers)
>>
>>381963968
I'm tired of this excuse, it's a fact that the new games are easier because they don't want kids to get challenged and quit the game to play on their phone instead.
>>
>>381963658
The only notable thing about Gen 5 was that it introduced more new pokemon (155) than any other gen has, was the first gen to not get a 3rd version, first to get same-gen sequels and the first to not have a console Stadium-like game with it.
>>
>>381963885
Actually not a bad list. My only real problem with gen 5 was post game wasn't to my liking.

Gen 2/4(HGSS) when you go to Kanto and basically get to take a victory lap with your bros before ascending the mountain for the final boss is the best shit.
>>
Gen 3 was a major game changer, and probably spawned the autism known today. The rest were just copies of the same game with slight additions.
>>
>>381963968
Pokemon in and of itself is easy because it's designed for kids. The battling is much more refined than before but the games don't fuck you over like it used to. Like having Gary the asshat pop out at the exact most inopportune moment so he can call you a faggot and challenge you to a battle while your team is crippled.
>>
>>381960354
Gen 5

It lost its unique style and became generic weeb shit after that
>>
>>381963886
What I really hate about Sinnoh it's that since the game is so damn slow, some places can be really annoying to traverse through, especially Mt coronet and the snowy routes.

BEING COMFY DOESN'T COUNT, THAT'S NOT AN ARGUMENT
>>
>>381964032
I wasn't aware that Gamefreak has him as a rival. From a writing standpoint, that seems weird. But I guess I have no place to argue if that's the intended design. You don't have to be such a cunt, you could've just linked the wiki or something and ended it there you faggot.
>>
The PSS system was really good but the new castle shit is absolute trash. I just want a good multiplayer online service.
>>
>>381964075
PWT says hi
>>
>>381964131
>Mt coronet and the snowy routes.
please dont remind me of that hell
>>
Odd Generations tend to feel like soft resets, while even ones feel like they build on the previous ones.

Generation I - start of it all
Generation III - complete overhaul of the core mechanics, dropped some major mechanics, and only Wynaut and Azurill were related to previous Pokémon
Generation V - region that only has Pokémon introduced in that Generation, first game to have a non-Japanese region, focus is now on story
Generation VII - 20 year anniversary, 11 year old cast, Gen I parallels and regional variants, no National Pokédex

Generation II - huge step forward after Gen I in mechanics, many new Pokémon are evolutions or pre-evolutions of previous ones
Generation IV - many new Pokémon are evolutions or pre-evolutions of previous ones, feels like it was meant to further refine and expand Gen III mechanics while reintroducing earlier mechanics
Generation VI - Mega Evolutions of earlier Pokémon take the place of regular new evolutions (minus Sylveon), attempts to bring the 2D format to 3D

Even Generations also tend to not be as limited in Pokémon selection compared to odd Generations which lock the player out of earlier Pokémon to a greater degree. I personally tend to prefer even Generations, though I feel like Generation V and later started pushing away from what I really liked about the games, but I can see that being said about Generation III and Generation VII as well. If we're counting remakes, Generation IV is my favorite.
>>
5 was when it completely shit the bed. 3 and 4 both hit turbulence with their initial release, but later games within those generations were alright. 5 was completely abysmal, 6 wasn't enough of an improvement, and 7 somehow ended up being even worse.

2>3=4>1=6>5>7
>>
>>381963739
VI and VII also suffer from the same problem that BW had, along with the added bonus of not having the features BW2 had that tried to make up for BW's shittiness.
Sinnoh's a better region than Unova, since it tried something new with its layouts, though the snow is total ass. Unova tried to improve the overworld by removing HMs in the case of BW1, since you only ever needed to use Cut once in the story. But they also decided to make every place similar as fuck, all the routes in BW1 are generic grasslands outside of the one puddle area.
>>
>>381964107
If I had to say which were the game changer generations I'd say

>Gen 2 for hold items and special split
>Gen 3 for weather and entry hazards
>Gen 6 for Mega Evolutions

I haven't been playing Sun/ Moon, did it end up revolving around Z-Moves?
>>
>>381964153
Act like a cunt, get treated like a cunt.
>>
>>381962958
It don't see any refinements. Natures, abilities and weather are bloat. Oh great I have to use antidotes 5x more often and click through more text boxes during battles. What an improvement! I can't even see what abilities an opponent has until it affects me and by that time the pokemon is probably near fainted and the cycle starts all over again.

Natures compel you to grind encounters for longer to find a more ideal version of a pokemon in a game where there are 100s to find overall. Not an improvement. Change for change's sake.

Double Battles are a gimmick and the overworld's art style looks like crap.

The Gen 1 remakes take this bloat and shit art style and add it to the original. Pure unforgivable garbage.
>>
The correct answer to this completely subjective question is "2 gens after whatever gen I started with"
>buh but I think other gen was worst
Congrats, you're the exception to the rule
>>
>>381964176
Why in the holy FUCK did they get rid of PSS? What was wrong with it?
>>
File: Alpha.jpg (134KB, 667x533px) Image search: [Google]
Alpha.jpg
134KB, 667x533px
>>381963658
Gen 7 cont'd
With a plot that was even more focused on, with more prominent characters than before and a story that focused on a non-player character in a manner reminiscent of many newer JRPGs, it added many things alien to fans of previous titles, such as extended dialogue and animated cutscenes (more than XY's). The online was generally lesser than the previous gen's, but still retained an active community. It changed many series staples such as gyms in exchange for mono-Pokemon boss battles, and appears to be divided in the fanbase among those who enjoyed the style change to fit its JRPG peers, and others who disliked the change and prefer previous titles. Relatively small number of new Pokemon, however instead of temporary evolutions, the dex compensated for this with permanent speciation for existing Pokemon.
>>
>>381964287
How was I acting like a cunt anon up until the very last thing I replied to you
>>
>>381964176
You mean the Festival Plaza? Yeah, that's absolute garbage.

Gen 6 has the best online for how streamlined and easy it was to access.

Then Gen 7 had to make things complicated and a chore to find people online.
>>
>>381964153
You're incredibly thin skinned, anon.
>>
>>381964284
Somewhat. They replace the badges.

But I recall only 2 being used on me in the game
>>
The first gen that removed new features from the previous gen, so generation 3.
>>
SuMo might be the gen that fucked it up for me.
There's a lot to like, but what it does wrong REALLY hurts it in my opinion.
The story and cutscenes just take up too much of the game time, in a series that always did the best when story took a backseat to exploration. Again, the story isn't bad. I just have no desire to hear any of that shit again.

When I no longer want to say "hey where does that route over there take me?" and instead I say "okay, I just have to walk through this straight fucking path to hit the other town, fight these three guys in my way, etc. and then repeat until the league" then it's losing its magic. And that's how SuMo felt to me.
>>
>>381964373
They had to dumb it down for the new players. Also I think they got complaints from the voice chat which was fucking great.
>>
>>381960354

Six, easily.

>Shit ass animations for all Pokemon
>Washed out the colorful designs
>Post game content more story based than system/combat based
>Gyms become piss easy even more than before
>Megas
>>
>>381964217
Fuck off casual. Shitheads like you are why we get railroaded linear regions like Unova and no real post-game anymore.
>>
>>381960354
Gen 3 or 4, for sure.
>>
>>381964540
>personally dont like the icy areas
>REEE YOUR PART OF THE PROBLEM
get fucked.
>>
File: 7th dragon rune knight tiddies.jpg (2MB, 1800x2190px) Image search: [Google]
7th dragon rune knight tiddies.jpg
2MB, 1800x2190px
>>381964391
So TLDR, they changed drastically over the years and the community has changed as well.
While they keep the same base gameplay, they are not the same games.
It depends on what pivot you decide that the games were not for you.
>>
Depends on what you play the series for. I still like it because what I ultimately play them for at the end of the day is still there and still good, but there are definite tonal shifts with RS and BW, and I desperately miss the pre-RS tone. SM has some pretty dire level design too, I don't like that.
>>
File: Miiyano.gif (470KB, 700x625px) Image search: [Google]
Miiyano.gif
470KB, 700x625px
I hope you saw all the shit they took out of SM. Like the golf course, your house being fucking huge, pokemon could follow you and many caves that were blocked off for no reason except they had to rush to make it for the 25th anniversary. All USUM will be is the actual finished game.
>>
>>381964274
>Unova routes are all generic grasslands

That's bullshit and you know it
>>
>>381964759
That shows how little they care now, that's the reason I refused to pick up SM
>>
>>381964107
Gen 3 revamped the DV and Stat Experience system, introduced natures and abilities, introduced Double Battles, etc.
>>
Remember when 4 came out and everyone shat on it?
The same with 5
and 6
and 7
>>
>>381964658
Why are you posting BN and 7D art? Not that I mind, I like both series.

Also its really amusing seeing people on /v/ talk about Pokemon. Truly a bunch of casuals.
>>
>>381964323
I never saw it that way. Like Sunlight alone is a massive benefit for some pokemon. You might be able to live a water attack that would've killed you without it. Or you can use it to boost the healing effect of Synthesis. Or use it to make a Fire Pokemon even better. Or use it to make Solarbeam a single turn move and start vaporizing water pokemon. It adds a lot more tricks you can do with a team and the fact that it benefits all pokemon on the field adds a nice risk/ reward system to the game. Because you might think using Rain Dance to improve your water pokemon is all well and good until you find out your opponent is carrying Thunder which you now made 100% accurate.
>>
>>381964907
I don't know, I'm still shitting on Gen 6, Gen 7 and Gen 4
>>
Gen 6 was the only one I never want to play again. I hate my stupid friends. I barely remember the gym leaders except for the fairy one.
>>
gen 5 fucked everything up
>>
>>381964776
Oh right, there's that one water route next to your hometown that you can't even access until you beat the game, and that tiny ass "desert" route that was essentially a straight road, and BW2 made even more streamlined. How interesting
>>
>>381963740
Your opinion is wrong and dumb.
>>
>>381964907
>everyone is just being contrarian
>however me, being an enlightened being like all Pokemon games and point out contrarianism whererever i see it
>>
>>381964225
I feel the same way. Glad I'm not the only one who realized this.
>>
>>381964980
Do you think people who just blanket shit on pokemon having abilities gives a fuck about how many interesting ways you could build your team? These are the people who still blame Gamefreak for not letting you transfer from
Gen 2 to 3 even though that was all on Nintendo.
>>
>>381965089
You never played B/W then, good to know, I accept your concession
>>
>>381964725
That's about the only thing I dislike about modern Pokemon campaigns. Before it was just a 10 year old kid fighting gang members and collecting badges. Then sometime around RSE you began fighting forces of nature and literal gods and abstract concepts.

>The embodiment of space/ time/ and distortion
>The living embodiments of land and sea
>Actual Life and Death
>physical manifestations of truth and ideals

It's like remember when the legendaries were just really rare creatures?
>>
File: 1ae.jpg (759KB, 1366x2254px) Image search: [Google]
1ae.jpg
759KB, 1366x2254px
>>381964759
Here is part of the cut.
>>
>>381960354
pokemon sucks, its not even a game.
>>
>>381964323
Nigger if you're getting assblasted cause you have to use antidotes and shit in battle and you're getting lost in abilities and menus then I think Pokemon might be a little too complicated for you.
>>
>>381965319
>its not even a game.
is it a way of life? cause thats even worse
>>
>>381964112
That's literally what's made it gone to shit. Getting fucked by Gary was part of the challenge.
>>
>>381965108
>like all
No anon, I hate them all
The only good pokemon game is Explorers of Sky
>>
File: image.jpg (288KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
288KB, 900x1200px
>>381965196
>y-you haven't actually played it!
You people always use the same shit arguments. Literally hipster genwunners.
>>
>>381964725
What.

SM has the best level design in the mainline pokemon games. In fact, level design is the one thing that gets better with every new game.
>>
>>381960354
Gen 5 was the swan song, the last gen they truly tried.
>>
>>381965426
Blue was a pretty shit rival and outside of Nugget Bridge never had any chance of posing a threat. You're blinded by nostalgia.
>>
>>381960354
I cannot think of a single redeeming feature for Gen VI. They weren't ready for the move to 3D and the game only felt "okay" on the first playthrough. XYORAS were all devoid of content and too easy, even for Pokemon games.
>>
>>381965448
That's because if you actually played it, then you would know that the routes aren't all the same, but I don't want to waste time putting up a collage when you're just going to dismiss it
>>
>Gen 4 was the last good generation
>Gen 5 was pushing it
>Gen 6 was awful
>Gen 7 feels like Deviantart-tier, design wise

All in all though;
4 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 5 >>> 6 >>>>>>>> 7
>>
>>381965553
If you didn't talk to the lady next to the beds then Silph Co was also a dangerous fight. Same deal with if you were just exploring SS Anne and you happened to go down the wrong hallway on accident.
>>
>>381965448
You're just being stupid, then. Of you want to talk about bland grass routes, go play gen 2.
>>
>>381962772
>don't like Hoenn in general
>didn't get Platinum because I didn't care for DP
>didn't get BW2 because I was lukewarm on Unova

Well, at least I've got HGSS.
>>
>>381965220
I agree. I can replay gens 1 and 2 (and to an extent 3) endless amounts because to me I'm just some fucking kid walking through the world raising a team of dudes to fuck shit up with. Story took a back seat. Gen 3 was when story got pushed a lot more, but still wasn't quite central like it is in games past it.

I also preferred legendary creatures being, essentially, side-quests that you can take on once you hit a certain power level in the game. You could ignore them completely if you want to. Yet hearing tales about them from NPCs in the world, or simple rumors, were what provoked me to become interested in them. Exploring sea foam islands and coming into contact with lugia was fucking cool as shit.

I've really been itching to play silver/gold again but I want to wait so I can box them instead of having the team die in an emulator somewhere.
>>
File: get well soon.png (55KB, 427x284px) Image search: [Google]
get well soon.png
55KB, 427x284px
>no sequels
>no third version
>trio master awkwardly shoehorned into the next generation as a collection sidequest

I sometimes wonder what really happened there
>>
>>381965613
4 > 1 > 7 > 2 > 5 = 6 > 3
>>
>>381965718
Meh, Barry was basically Blue with a better team.
>>
>>381965553
Jokes on you I've never actually completed Gen I.
>>
File: 1496538256634.png (524KB, 505x509px) Image search: [Google]
1496538256634.png
524KB, 505x509px
>>381962772
>Anyways if your favorite Pokemon isn't the 2nd parts to the 1st releases, you have garbage taste
Hmmm...
>>
>>381965220
I don't mind the crazy lore the Legendaries have, but I do hate the focus they put on them. HGSS bugs me the most about it. GS you get told this rare item you got has connections to certain areas, should probably check it out, you can do it or you can choose not to. If you go there, oh shit, there's a rare, powerful Pokemon, that's cool. HGSS meanwhile has this whole plotline with the Kimono Girls picking the MC as their chosen one to reawaken the box legend, which is why Elm egged you on to go on your adventure, and after eight badges you're forced to do it if you haven't already. And when you get there they keep telling you how awesome it is you're meeting Pokemon and how awesome it is you caught it and how disappointed they are in you if you don't catch it.

That whole change kinda sums up some of the tonal change in later games.
>>
Every gen has highs and lows, but gen 6 started a trend of being too goofy and story heavy that gen 7 is following right now that simply gives me zero motivation to even give the games a big chance.

I bought both Y and Alpha Sapphire, those games broke my heart in a way that no other franchise could never imagine doing
>>
>>381965919
Nigga if you don't like BW2 you have bad taste, sorry to inform you
>>
>>381965220
I don't like any of the new legendaries. I can't keep track of them. I stopped after Deoxys. Though RegiGigas was a nice addition.
>>
>>381965553
>rivals were too hard
>no them being hard made it fun and challenging
>lol they weren't even challenging
wut
>>
3 the pokemon look liked trash
>>
>>381966034
What point are you trying to make?
>>
I'd say pic related was when it died. There was some genuine salt over this.
>>
>>381965941
Yeah, I hate the autistic obsession the newer plots have over the box cover legendaries.
>>
>>381966005
Anon, of course the 2nd parts of the base games were fucking good.
Wasnt the point of those released was to change things and add to the postgame and such?
Im agreeing with you when i say that, BW2 was great.
>>
>>381965220
Yeah Gen 4 went off the rails by having you catch pokemon that were literal masters of time and space.
>>
>>381966096

I rarely drop games but

>Game hands you a mega Lati before Foretree City

How could any self respecting motherfucker tolerate this?
>>
File: image.jpg (491KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
491KB, 1600x1200px
>>381965608
>still using this argument

>>381965729
Gen II's routes were shit, too. I've already stated that BW2's new routes were a huge step up from BW1's garbage routes, but that's not enough to fix the game.
>>
>>381965553
>be a child
>be told I just have to beat the elite four
>only preparing to fight those dudes
>it's basically just me and my overleveled blastoise versus the world
>I finally did it
>fucking gary steps out and challenges me to a fight

I'm sure if I were playing it today with my 23 year old adult brain, I could have possibly foreseen that event. But as a kid that was fucking nuts. There's still a chance if I were an adult playing for the first time though it might catch me off guard.

Still, strange to me how they restructured all subsequent games around 5 final opponents. Elite 4 + champion, instead of just 4 challengers. The idea was you only had to beat 4 to become champion, and gary being there was a surprise. Lance was otherwise the "champion" before gary came along iirc.
>>
>>381960354
Gen 5 it didn't really felt like a pokemon game to me
>>
>>381966205
Honestly the free Lucario in XY were way worse. At least soaring was cool but I still boxed Lati@s
>>
>>381966096
Yeah, ORAS is the low point of the mainline games. It's a standard remake of RS without any of the content of Emerald. It doesn't really do anything interesting like FRLG and HGSS.
>>
>>381965785
Yeah it was pretty weird. Someone really fucked up in planning/development, I'm sure.
>>
>>381966221
I meant to say that if you played the games, you SHOULD know how the routes aren't all the same, especially with the seasons, but it seems you just want to shit on the region because you can, even though you played it and you should know that you're wrong
>>
>>381964284
gen 3 is the game changer, but not for the battle stats or anything. It revamped the super fragile code and made something so stable you can use the pokemon from gen 3 all the way up to the current games
>>
>>381966096
They were shit but the reaction could have been quelled if there was a battle frontier
They still would've been shit with it though
>>
>>381966009
>Gen 1
>Legendaries are just really rare birds that live in mountains and secluded areas. Also a genetic abomination

>Gen 2
>Reanimated dogs, a phoenix, and a really rare dolphin-bird that saves marooned sailors

>Gen 3
>The embodiment of land and sea itself only kept in check by Fug. Also ancient golems that have been around since forever.

>Gen 4
>Actual gods. Like the lords of existence itself

>Gen 5
>Abstract concepts that have taken the form of dragons for some reason

>Gen 6
>Life and Death

>Gen 7
>Living portals to alternate dimensions

Shit why would anyone give a fuck about Articuno? Or Kanto in general. You could go to Sinnoh and have dominion over time itself. Or catch both god and satan and make them work together.
>>
File: 1399789322146.jpg (159KB, 958x634px) Image search: [Google]
1399789322146.jpg
159KB, 958x634px
3 > 2 = 4 > 1 >>> 5.2 > 6 > 7 > 5.1
>>
>>381960354

Gens 5 and 6 lost track of what made Pokemon fun and drifted off into weird gimmicks and way overpowered shit.

I thought Gen 7 laid a nice framework for future titles though. It wasn't perfect, but it felt like it got back on track with what made Pokemon fun in the first place.
>>
File: map design.png (1MB, 978x1450px) Image search: [Google]
map design.png
1MB, 978x1450px
>>381965513
Kill yourself.
>>
>>381966516
Distortion world is trippy as fuck. Can we flesh that place out a bit more Gamefreak?
>>
>>381966516
Too be fair, the last "gym" was more like Victory Road.
>>
>>381966617
>Can we flesh that place out a bit more Gamefreak?

lol
>>
>>381966096
I actually fucking agree.
It really disappointed me in a way I didn't expect.
>>
>>381966239
The challenge is still there, especially if you're a young kid. Do you really not remember BW1 when there were so many threads about people getting their shit kicked by Ghetsis? Or how about Iris's Dragon Dance Focus Sash Haxorus?
>>
>>381960354
After Gen 4. I liked 3,4 and 2's remakes about the same. Then 1, then 2. By gen 5 I felt like they were running out of design ideas for new Pokémon and everything else.
>>
>>381961230
Wrong. Pearl was the first game I bought as an adult. Didn't feel burnt out until I played Omega Ruby, and then Sun was the first version I've picked up and shelved before completing the story.
>>
>>381966485
Did you know that if you use an Abra to teleport all the way back to Petalburg, you can skip meeting up with your rival in Rustboro? If you do, he will show up at Mr. Briney's cottage to exchange Match Call information with you and offer to battle.
>>
>>381965513
It's incredibly unengaging, especially on the later islands. Melemele has some alright stuff, but that's just one part of the game.

>>381966205
I just boxed it. Not a problem for me.

>>381966378
Every generation they allocate a certain amount of internal slots for games in Pokemon data. Gen VI originally had six slots for games. Two of them were left unused. VII meanwhile has used all four of its slots with USUM. I think that VI they just didn't know what they were going to end up doing with it.
>>
>>381966516
I'm definitely gonna hand that one to you. Jesus that's a stark difference. Pokemon games don't feel like adventures these days.
>>
>>381960354
Never played Gen 4 or 5
Am I missing out?
>>
File: ruff news.jpg (60KB, 960x944px) Image search: [Google]
ruff news.jpg
60KB, 960x944px
>>381960354
Generation 3 for me. It was more than just not being able to trade, but it felt disconnected from the world Gen 1 and Gen 2 became and removed a lot of features that Gen 2 brought. The Pokémon designs were alright and hadn't shown the amount of decay later ones brought, but it introduced a lot of things that would become problems later on. The soundtrack was incredibly weak too, and incorporating the e-Reader made a weak game worse.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63KB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
63KB, 1280x688px
>>381966460
>Mewtwo is still one of the most powerful pokemon in existence to this day

We dreamed of making the world's strongest pokemon. And we succeeded
>>
>>381966730
Seriously? Damn, I never knew that.
>>
>>381966672
>>381966096
Took me too years to get past gym 7 because I simply couldn't believe what was going on. Those fucks at TPC and Game Freak are overdoing their job at disappointing people
>>
>>381960354
>remakes in the wrong gen

"ree"
>>
>>381966516
>left
>tryhard pseudo-complicated design
>right
>simple and to the point
Kill yourself
>>
File: 197fc22e3z6u4png.png (547KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
197fc22e3z6u4png.png
547KB, 800x450px
>>381966858
Platinum, HGSS and BW2 are usually regarded as some of the best games in the series, so I would say yes. HGSS is really fucking pricey now too.
>>
>>381966927
Until Fug ate a meteorite.
>>
>>381966678
Sure, but I also think gen 5 was great.
Excluding the fact that Ghetsis died like a bitch to me.
I'm just pointing out that I thought gary was a good rival and did well for what they were going for.
>>
>>381966617
It was just to thing for Gamefreak to go "We know how to 3d now!"

>>381966868
Really? When I bought Ruby I couldn't stop being wowed away.

I was fucking STOKED that when you go into a door you had to OPEN it first.
And when you go behind a building your sprite is UNDER the roof.
And all that shit you couldn't access filled me with wonder. I pored over so many Nintendo Powers to finally figure out how to get my very own Eon Ticket
>>
>>381964958
>Truly a bunch of casuals

t. Battle Network fan, without a hint of self-awareness
>>
File: fug.png (16KB, 174x231px) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
16KB, 174x231px
>>381967012
mediocre bait
>>
>>381962152
You want to start with the "beginning" but the proliferation of remakes means that shit like FireRed/LG and HGSS are more or less straight upgrades. I would recommend staring with FR/LG, but from there it's a choice to either adhere to Pokedex development or mechanical/gameplay development.

I.e. you can play HGSS after FRLG, and then RSE, then DPPt and onward if you want to play in "original" (used very loosely) order, or you can mix them up a little and play RSE which is more akin to FRLG, and then HGSS + DPPt but jumping around is a little weird in Pokedex terms and some other ways. The most consistent experience would be to actually play RBY -> GSC -> RSE onward but the original Gen 1 and Gen 2 are a little bland by modern standard and their remakes are really straight upgrades in the most important ways.

I would say there's really no reason not to start with FRLG.
>>
>>381966730
I did this once by accident, actually. Was pretty neat.
>>
>>381967185
mediocre meme
>>
>>381967050
HG and SS are actually free, as are Plantinum, Emerald and BW2.
>>
>>381967150
That's fine, I'm more annoyed by people who act like Blue is the pinnacle of difficulty and shit on the rest of the series.
>>
File: Reginiggas.png (109KB, 412x300px) Image search: [Google]
Reginiggas.png
109KB, 412x300px
>>381966927
Legends are BORN not created.
>>
>>381967273
I'm not that guy, but come on. Fug is a top tier meme.
>>
File: fug.jpg (60KB, 173x356px) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
60KB, 173x356px
>>381967273
fug you
>>

emerald - B2/W2 (not counting diamond and pearl) is the golden era
>>
>>381967353
Regis are fuckin cool, it's too bad they are the weakest trio.
>>
>>381962152
Start with gen 2. Skip gen 1. Play everything and stop after bw2. Gen 1 and gen 6 and 7 are shit. Dont buy them.
>>
File: 1395707441056.jpg (362KB, 650x800px) Image search: [Google]
1395707441056.jpg
362KB, 650x800px
>>381966868
>The soundtrack was incredibly weak too
You motherfucker. Gen 3 had the best music in the series. Or at least, the highest number of memorable tracks.
>>
File: 1288325478984.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1288325478984.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
Gen II.
Gen I fags can be obnoxious, but Gen II thinks it can stand on the same pedestal. Gen II needed Gen I to hold its hand to be relevant. Gen III and onwards stood on their own feet. Even Gen II's remakes couldn't get Johto right.

Gen II is just an expansion pack for Gen I and it suffers because of it.
>>
>>381967084
Mewtwo is stronger than Rayquaza lore-wise though.

Not mechanically in-game, oh no, I realize that it's significantly less powerful, but like canonically and in-universe or whatever.
>>
>>381967350
Well, it felt climactic.

RBY was really the only time the champion was truly personal.

A case could be made for GSC too.
>>
>>381960354
gen 6, 7 and 4
>>
>>381966406
To be fair, seasons were a very annoying feature. You'd probably be done with the whole game before the seasons ever change since they changed by month, and it'd take even longer to see the other changes. It was still a neat concept, unlike Curtis/Yancy calls which were frustrating for no good reason and didn't amount to anything that special, and the Key System for difficulties.
My favorite route in Unova is probably the marshy area after Brycen's gym. Winter turned it into a completely different location altogether.
>>
>>381967436
always thought the weakest trio were the Horse Knights or the Lake spirits
>>
>>381967350
Nah, for sure he isn't. Actually as a child, I had far more trouble in gen 2 with the rival than I ever did with Blue.

When it comes to rivals though, I can only say I ever really enjoyed 1, 2, and 5. 4 and 3 had their moments. No lie, 6 and 7 were such non-challenges it took me a moment to remember they even existed outside of being friends to the main character.
>>
3 is the objectively correct answer. Mechanically it improved the series a lot (though 4 had the most important change with physical/special being move based rather than type based) but basically destroyed the elements of exploration that were perfected in gen 2. Gen 2 had so much shit in it that there was always SOMETHING going on that you were probably unaware of. Roaming hordes of rare pokemon, all sorts of shit that only took place at a certain time of day or a certain day of the week, hidden routes and little islands and shit that had basically no payoff for finding, just there for the sake of being there.

I also think that dungeon design became significantly simpler during gen 3 but it wasn't until 4 (Mt. Coronet excepted) that it completely went to shit. With all that said, every generation is fun and has upsides, but only the first two generations really captured the feeling of exploration and being on an adventure that the series always claims to be about. A large part of this also stems from the plot going from 'go on an adventure!' to 'save the world!'.
>>
>>381967467
>RBY was really the only time the champion was truly personal.
Eh, I thought BW1's final battle was far more interesting, unless we're limiting this to just champ battles. In that case, Kukui was a better fight imo.

>A case could be made for GSC too.
Lance was the biggest fucking letdown ever. Worst champ easily.

>wow its the guy I beat last game except he has lower levels.
>>
>>381962909
No, Pokemon died with BW. XY just laid the final nail on the coffin.
>>
>>381967451
what's it like having the worst opinion?
>>
Gen 1. Play Dragon Warrior Monsters for a monster catching GB game that was actually good. Objectively speaking Pokemon was a buggy pile of shit that is only well known due to the marketing. Monster Rancher, Dragon Warrior Monsters, early SMT games (Last Bible) and even Digimon though being extremely different with their first game all make for a better experience. If it wasn't for the fact that we had shit taste while we were kids Pokemon would've never survived. High numbers of monsters was always seen as better than quality, we were literally quaintly over quality when it came to Pokemon.

Gotta admit though, Pokemon did get better as time move on. People who honestly think the 1st gen was the best should quit playing the remakes and take their heads out of their asses. It was a shitty game from the get go. If you like the 1st gen Pokemon the best for whatever reason then fine but generally when you say "1st gen is the best" you gotta be aware that most people assume you mean the horrible games as a whole. Those who like the 1st gen remakes in reality really like the 3rd gen the best. Get your generations right and there will be no confusion.
>>
File: MAXIMUM FUG.png (4MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
MAXIMUM FUG.png
4MB, 2560x1600px
>>381967460
Mewtwo is stronger than Fug, yes.

But Mega Fug is stronger than Mega Mewtwo. Blew up a world-destroying asteroid, he did.
>>
>>381967460
rayquayquay is even stronger than mewtwo lorewise compared to in game, not even counting mega fug
>>
>>381967689
>Lance was the biggest fucking letdown ever. >Worst champ easily.
That award goes to Alder, Wallace or Diantha.
>>
>>381964532
Agreed. Its easy, without the exp share. And shit pokemon.
>>
File: 1339171708787.gif (858KB, 240x228px) Image search: [Google]
1339171708787.gif
858KB, 240x228px
>>381960354
Gen 6 and 7 with Mega Evolutions and Z-moves fuck that shit
>>
>>381967834
Oh yeah I forgot Diantha was a thing. She's probably the worst. Alder was actually cool, albeit weak, and Wallace was fucking neat too. I'll take a cool Water team over LOL THREE DRAGONITES
>>
>>381967679
I liked the physical/special being tied to moves outside of the fact that it completely fucked over some pokemon balance-wise. Or just outright turning their signature move into garbage for the pokemon it was designed for.
>>
Not necessarily relevant to OPs discussion or what's evolved from it, but my most fun experience playing Pokemon ever was definitely playing BlazeBlack/VoltWhite 1 and 2. Fucking great romhacks that introduced difficultly and variance to trainers and gyms, and did what everyone has clamored for since Pokemon sequels have existed: all Pokemon from all gens available and catchable throughout your playthrough, and even all legendaries present and added to the game.
>>
>>381965613
In terms of pokemon design, sure. But gen 5 is great gameplay. Best battles out of the entire series.
>>
>>381967905
Mega Evolutions were honestly fine on the mons that weren't already crazy strong
Z moves are a mess though
>>
They ruined everything with Mega-Evolutions.
>>
>>381967725
Probably the same as being a Johtobabby.
>>
>>381967928
>or just outright turning their signature move into garbage for the pokemon it was designed for.
What are you referring to? I can't think of too many pokemon having signature moves back in gens 1-3.
>>
>>381967451
Nice bait. Gen 2 is clearly the best game.
>>
>>381960354
None of them. They've just grown stale as a franchise because it has always been a mechanically dull rpg and the only thing making it great is your ability to immerse yourself in the fictional world as a child.
>>
The moment they got rid of actual intro cutscenes before the PRESS START screen and replaced it with a FUCKING COMMERCIAL of a game I already bought is when the series started dying.

And that's gen 6 (altough gen 5 had a piece right after N's closing his eyes that was basically an ad for the game and it's dream meachanics)
>>
>>381964330
But anon, I started with Gen 3 and I think Gen 6 is where it gets bad
>>
>>381968112
Not him, but the only one I can think of is Leaf Blade for Sceptile.
>>
>>381964958
I like them
No other reason.
>>
>>381968002
Gen wunners are the reason why they put mega evolutions.
>>
>>381967997
Charizard desperately needed a Mega but I don't think he needed two. Johto starters definitely need Megas, ESPECIALLY Meganium. And why isn't Blastoise allowed to have Shell Smash
>>
>>381967450
>the highest number of memorable tracks
that's just the nostalgia talking
The lead composer wasn't very good and it really could have been better had it not gotten stuck with a sound chip that didn't suck ass.
> but the original Game Boy...
had some neat things that were done with the limitations it had.
>>
>>381968087
It's Johtoddler

Hoennbaby is the only one with baby
>>
>>381968235
Better question. Why isn't blastoise mega water/steel?
>>
>>381960354
Gen 3 ruined the story format forever.
>>
>>381960354
generation 6
gen 4 and 5 have the holy trinity of pokemon games in them
>>
>>381967012
>simple and to the point
Yes because people don't want to play video games.
>>
>>381967784
There we go. Gen one sucks. Gen 2 is the reason pokemon was good. The movie was released the same day.
>>
>>381968141
>>381967725
He has a bit of a point. Gen 2 does feel a bit like Gen 1.5, with them basically just fixing all the issues RBY had. The dex variety is abysmal and Johto as a reason is lackluster, and Kanto was ass. HGSS fixed a lot of issues but sadly it still has the worst level curve in the series and the trainers all have braindead teams. There's a reason everyone always memes about Miltank - because its the only spot in the game where players are given something that can hit them back.
>>
>>381968307
>giving a shit about story in pokemon
>>
>>381960354
definitely 4 because it went 3D
>>
>>381968235
Because if Blastoise smashed his shell, he'd be naked. Fucking retard.
>>
Everything after gen 2 was a mistake and killed the franchise's momentum.

they're not smart enough to reboot pokemon to make it relevant again.
>>
>>381962262
Sun and Moon are superior to X&Y in all categories though.
>>
File: Lillie_(Pokémon)_full_2070265.jpg (325KB, 566x800px) Image search: [Google]
Lillie_(Pokémon)_full_2070265.jpg
325KB, 566x800px
>>381967451
Finally someone who realizes how flawed Gen 2 was. It didn't even have any good, memorable characters either.
>>
File: landorus-therian[1].jpg (48KB, 265x320px) Image search: [Google]
landorus-therian[1].jpg
48KB, 265x320px
rawr
*blocks your path*
>>
>>381968239
>The lead composer wasn't very good
lol wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfARFF9S5Jg
>>
>>381968239
>lead composer wasn't very good

every pokemon game has the same lead composer dummy
>>
>>381968424

I'm sorry there weren't any little girls for you to fawn over in Gen II, you kiddie fiddler.
>>
>>381968371
I think that was his point.
Gen 3 and onward, story took a more central focus. Which was a mistake.
>>
New Mystery Dungeon on 3DS when?
>>
>>381968484
This is the worst trio.
>>
>>381968581
Gen 2 was more story based though
>>
>>381967784
Wrong.

I'm not a Genwunner and think the original RBGY is average at best compared to the rest of the series, but it isn't the worst.

None of those games you listed did what Pokemon did better.
>>
>>381968362
Yeah thats true. At least the remakes are great.
>>
>>381960354

the series peaked with black2/white2

x/y were just okay, sun/moon are shit
>>
>>381966095
That you're retarded, dipshit.
>>
File: 1497120028188.jpg (41KB, 1033x679px) Image search: [Google]
1497120028188.jpg
41KB, 1033x679px
>>381968492
my nig
>>
>>381968317
They do though.
>>
>>381968307
Just watch the anime lol
>>
>>381968641
RBGY are easily the worst. Ok maybe diamond and pearl are worse but there is no way RBGY are better than all the others or even as good
>>
>>381967460
>Mewtwo is stronger than Rayquaza lore-wise though.
How? All Mewtwo did was mope around in Cerulean Cave while Regular Fug stopped Primal Kyogre and Groudon's fight that was destroying the planet by himself. He did it again later as Mega Fug and even destroyed a planet destroying asteroid carrying Deoxys.
>>
>>381967784
MegaTen games are mostly good or even great, but from the viewpoint of being monster collecting or raising games like Pokemon or Monster Rancher they're awful. And like the first Digimon World, Monster Rancher provides a wildly different experience than Pokemon or DQM as one.
>>
>>381968581
Gen 1 lacking a story made Kanto funny. Between Mewtwo, Bill turning himself into a Clefairy after inventing the box system, Porygon, and the exploding pokeballs called Voltorb and Electrode, it makes Kanto look like it's run by mad scientists
>>
File: 1439208156103.png (315KB, 299x497px) Image search: [Google]
1439208156103.png
315KB, 299x497px
>>381968239
>Abandoned ship
>Mt. Pyre
>Aqua/Magma base/Sky Pillar
>Shoal Cave
>whichever route it was on the way to Fallarbor
>The desert
>Trick House
>Gym Leader theme
>E4 theme
>Champion theme
>Rival theme
>Frontier Brain theme

I can recall any of those off the top of my head, more than I can recall from other gens without listening to a few bars first before the rest clicks into place.
>>
File: 250px-428Lopunny.png (50KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-428Lopunny.png
50KB, 250x250px
>>381960354
Most people are gonna cite GEN 3, but I'm gonna try and make a point for GEN 4 being the killer instead.
>GEN1/2 could be a continuation because they were both on the same device.
>GEN3 could not accept pokemon from GEN1/2 so the only way to resolve this is to start over or make remakes of the first two
>Pokemon company goes for both, gives us a soft reset of the world BECAUSE IT HAS TO then a remake so you can still get all your GEN1 mons
>GEN4 comes around for the DS
>DS could communicate with GBA games and there was even AN OPTION TO TRANSFER FROM GEN3 TO 4, this is something GEN3 did not have
>GEN4 still soft resets again for no reason
>also pokemon jesus and the lore creep GEN4 made.
>>
>>381967983
Oh yeah, BW/2 are actually great games. Just don't like most of the Pokemon.
>>
>>381968859
I'm pretty sure one manga has the Elite Four being villains and half the Gym Leaders actually working for Team Rocket.
>>
>>381967451
Whenever I replay Crystal or HGSS these days, I stop after the first credits. I still like Crystal a lot, for Johto itself, and wish they had used all that space Iwata cleared up to flesh out Johto more instead of shoving in a redacted Kanto.
>>
>>381968389
Nah theyre doin it because pokemon prints money.
>>
File: Jasmine.jpg (873KB, 700x850px) Image search: [Google]
Jasmine.jpg
873KB, 700x850px
>>381968565
Not that anon but Gen II had Jasmine if you're into younger girls. HGSS Morty's my favorite design though.
>>
>>381961551
He couldve played it in highschool
>>
>>381964323
Never go full retard
>>
>>381968889
>Pokemon company goes for both, gives us a soft reset of the world BECAUSE IT HAS TO then a remake so you can still get all your GEN1 mons
>GEN4 comes around for the DS
>DS could communicate with GBA games and there was even AN OPTION TO TRANSFER FROM GEN3 TO 4, this is something GEN3 did not have
>GEN4 still soft resets again for no reason
What the fuck are you talking about? You could transfer all your Gen 3 shit to gen 4, what is the problem?
>>
>>381968935
Oh hell yeah never had so much fun in a pokemon game in a long time.
>>
>>381961230
Nope. I played the shit out of every game from the first 2 generations, then took a break and played White 1 and 2 as an adult and they were great.

Gen 6 and 7 are the shit ones. I still haven;t played gen 3 or 4.
>>
>>381960354
everything after 3
>>
>>381968424
Except Silver is still the best character in the main games with the best development, not to mention music.
>>
>>381968362
>with them basically just fixing all the issues RBY had
That's how you do a good sequel though.
>The dex variety is abysmal
Now hold on. Are you saying the overall dex variety is abysmal or that you don't get too many new johto mons? You can build pretty varied teams from a pretty early point in Gen 2. I'll agree that you don't find too many new pokemon easily until fairly late in the game. I could defend that as a design choice (it made every new pokemon feel special even though a lot of Johto mons were pretty weak) but I'll concede the point.
>Johto as a region is lackluster
Nah. Johto as a region was really solid. Many of the towns (Goldenrod being the obvious exception) were weak but the routes and dungeons were mostly all great.
>Kanto was ass
nah. Kanto was obviously worse than RBY but it was still decent.
>Difficulty
Jasmine, Clair, and Lance are all reasonably tricky. Obviously Red is hard too if you don't grind up for him.
>>
>>381968753
Well, there are two ways to judge games. How good they were when they were released, and how good they are in comparison to other games in the same series.

RBGY were great for their time, but are far outclassed by every other game in pretty much every way today.

also, great maymay.
>>
File: DCDIVkYUIAE46hM.jpg (89KB, 866x1199px) Image search: [Google]
DCDIVkYUIAE46hM.jpg
89KB, 866x1199px
Having never played Gen III before; I loved ORAS
>>
>>381967801
Fug that fug is swole, fug.
>>
>>381969068
did you actually read the post because that's what is says.

The point is you couldn't transfer GEN1 or GEN2 pokemon to GEN3 so they had to reset and make a new region while also giving us remakes so we don't miss out on the old shit.

Why did GEN4 have to reset?
>>
File: 1286248741857.jpg (359KB, 1136x720px) Image search: [Google]
1286248741857.jpg
359KB, 1136x720px
>>381968245
Thank you sir, it's been a while.

>>381968424
Here, have some more reason why Gen II is shit.
>Boring region
>The worst starters(Feraligatr is the only viable one)
>Most of the Pokemon you meet are from Gen I
>Gen II was a Gen I expansion more than an actual Gen II, HGSS was their chance to make it somewhat salvageable and they failed
>Kanto was watered down and barren, and it shows that Johto had to get neutered for it to matter at all
>Trainer rematches are a bitch and a half, and some are outright useless
>Gym Leader rematches require a specific set of conditions that are tedious as hell, but needed if you want to level up your team sufficiently
>Level scaling is horrendus. Even with a lucky egg, I was still struggling to get some of my guys to LV. 50
>Wild Pokemon in Kanto are LV. 5-10 but the trainers are 40+
>Gen II's batch of Pokemon are comprised of shitty throwaways that had to wait until Gen IV to become useful, and even then there's a good chunk of them that are still ass. Only a few were viable to use
>The remakes didn't fix any of the problems at all. None at all. The Apricorn balls are useless still, there's no reason to use Chikorita or Cyndaquil, the latter only being a Fire-type and even then you can use a Flying-type or Fighting-type to do its work, and it only showed you couldn't do a multi-region game
>The special stat was fixed, but you still had Pokemon who had tremendous attack but still had special type STAB. Sneasel was damn near useless and Hitmonchan still couldn't utilize the elemental punches
>Gen II's variety was so bad, Lance had to use three Dragonites and didn't even use a Kingdra. Even Bruno could make a team of six Fighting-types back in Gen I. Gen IV had to fix another one of Gen II's problems yet again
>>
>>381968981
No it doesn't.

Also

>HGSS

fuck almighty they completely ruined the original soundtrack. Every song now has some retarded time signature or goofy ass asian instruments.

pokemon doesnt matter.
>>
>>381969229
ORAS is okay if you didn't know about Emerald. PSS was great. But then you play Emerald and you realize how much was missing and you wonder why.
>>
>>381969229

Honestly it looks much better than the originals IMO. I hated them, but have yet to play ORAS
>>
File: 1352005820040.png (250KB, 1000x540px) Image search: [Google]
1352005820040.png
250KB, 1000x540px
>>381960354
6 I guess. Or 3
I was with the series from Christmas '07 I think and stuck with it all those years though I only played the card game from base set to whatever came after the gym leader sets.
Gen 6 just felt so phoned in and easy. Every trainer was a pushover, the enemy team was lame and I can't even remember any of the gym leaders whereas in gen 5 all of them got out of their gyms and did stuff. I felt let down by XY and so when ORAS came out it was the first time I didn't get both versions at release and I was actually so bored I ended up dropping sapphire before even getting the box legendary.

I might come back for the gen 4 remakes, but I won't get them at launch. I'll wait until I find out of they're closer to HGSS than ORAS.
>>
>>381962958
you forgot that Gen 2 added Pokemon Breeding
>>
File: 1489638116725.jpg (15KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
1489638116725.jpg
15KB, 300x222px
>>381969405
>Honestly it looks much better than the originals
>>
>>381969229
I played a lot of Gen III and felt ORAS did some neat stuff with the region, and actually fixed some flaws of the originals, but it was missing things it had no reason to miss and some areas of the game clearly lack polish as it goes on. Overall it's a game I just wish was better than it was.
>>
Overall designs? 4
Noticeable change to more "modern" anime art styles (also plague basically anything kid friendly over the few years) that didn't have midpoint in terms of what 3 had
>>
>>381969194
The overall dex has way too many normal types thrown at you with interesting shit held back until Kanto. Good luck getting a dark type before you beat the game. This was a bad decision and one of the things that HGSS improved.

Nah. Johto as a region was really solid. Many of the towns (Goldenrod being the obvious exception) were weak but the routes and dungeons were mostly all great.
Eh, I didn't like most of the routes and its just a circle with an offshoot towards the islands.

>nah. Kanto was obviously worse than RBY but it was still decent.
No, it was really quite shitty. You'll be able to experience this again when GS are released on VC. Again, HGSS fixed this.

>Jasmine, Clair, and Lance are all reasonably tricky. Obviously Red is hard too if you don't grind up for him.
Jasmine? Really? Maybe if you dont get the steel type weaknesses, I guess. Claire and Lance are only hard because of the level jump and how grindy the gam gets after Gym 7, because you have to fight level 20 wild pokemon to battle her Kingdra.
>>
File: 1484966191550.jpg (6KB, 251x238px) Image search: [Google]
1484966191550.jpg
6KB, 251x238px
>>381960354
>implying FRLG is Gen 1
>implying HGSS is Gen 2
>implying ORAS is Gen 3
>>
Art design-wise, 2 had a few blemishments like hitmontop, but otherwise still felt pretty similar to gen 1 designs, thougn definately took a decided turn towards "cutesy." 3 was weird and barely resembled gen 1 and 2 designs but there were still some good ones like duskull. Gen 4 is when pokemon art design tanked and never recovered.
>>
File: 250px-291Ninjask.png (51KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-291Ninjask.png
51KB, 250x250px
Is Ninjask good?
>>
>>381969371
Is it worth going through Hoenn again via Emerald? For the excluded content only?

I skipped Gen III, but the remakes made me love Hoenn. I love how they're not very handholdy like how XY and SM are.
>>
>>381963194
B2W2 are the best games in the series, though.
>>
>>381969364
>No it doesn't
You are the stupidest person in this thread. Pokemon is the most profitable shit Nintendo has outside of Mario.
>>
>>381962958
Gen 2 also added double type
>>
>>381969646
Yeah, he's cool.
>>
>>381969605
>Gen 4 is when pokemon art design tanked and never recovered.
That's Gen 5. Get it right.
>>
>>381969559
they are remakes
>>
>>381969693
Tied with HGSS and Platinum, yes.
>>
>>381969718
what did he mean by this
>>
>>381969741
Are you a moron? The game system are completely different.
FRLG has the same game systems as the rest of Gen 3, therefore it is Gen 3.
>>
>>381960354
I hopped off the train after gen 3, then got back on for Sun and I didn't even bother beating it. Are the gens before it worth my time or should I just give up on the series as a whole?
>>
>>381969605
Every generation clearly has its own visual direction. I personally like 2 and 6 the most.

>>381969741
Yeah and they're part of the generation they were released during, since they contain the Pokemon and engine that define that generation.
>>
>>381968871
That's one million percent nostalgia talking you faggot.

If you can't remember:
>Pallet town
>Route 1
>Gym theme
>Gym battle theme
>Guide theme
>Pokemon center theme
>S.S Anne theme
>Pokemon Center theme
>Vermillion City theme
>Lavender Town theme
>Bike theme
>Mt. Moon/Cave Theme
>Safari Zone/Evolution jingle
>Route 3

You're pathetic. Many of the other tracks are memorable as well, but those ones should be ingrained in your mind.
>>
>>381969870
but the setting is from gen 1
>>
>>381969658
I'd say so, I'm playing now and having a blast. The Frontier is pretty cool if you're looking for stuff to do postgame.

It's also less handholdy than ORAS, Such as not throwing a legendary at you.
>>
>>381969708
Pokemon isn't even nintendo dumbshit.

And no it isnt as profitable as you think.
>>
>>381969953
The setting is the least important part, generations aren't based on what the "setting" is.
>>
File: May.jpg (291KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
May.jpg
291KB, 900x900px
>>381969658
Mechanics are a little outdated since it's three gens behind ORAS, but there's a lot of neat little things that you might be interested in. Notably, Gym Leaders have stronger teams and are rematchable, trainers in the overworld can challenge you to double battles (not just the twins or senpai kouhai duo), and the Battle Frontier. Both of the teams are villainous in Emerald, whereas in ORAS one of them helps you try to take down the other, and Brendan's more cocky in Emerald if you decide to play as May. It's a pretty good experience overall, and I like it and ORAS a lot.
>>
>>381969953
And that means nothing.
>>
>>381969718
>Literally half the pokemon in Gen1 are half poison half something else
>Gengars line isn't even pure ghost because they had such a hard dick for poison.

Did you ever play gen1 my dude?
>>
>>381969990
Hahahaha
>>
>>381969990
Not that fucking idiot, but Pokemon is insanely profitable. The third best-selling video game franchise of all time, behind only Tetris and Mario.
Even as sales numbers decline in the franchise, S/M sold over 15 million copies.
>>
File: 1488953925579.jpg (45KB, 500x467px) Image search: [Google]
1488953925579.jpg
45KB, 500x467px
>>381967578
>Three Musketeers
>weak
>>
>>381969658
Honestly, Hoenn/Gen 3 is probably the worst region/generation in the series.

ORAS is the worst remake, missing a lot of Emerald content and making some questionable design changes, while Hoenn in general is pretty bland and boring. Gen 3 removed day and night cycles, and is the only gen that isn't compatible with the previous gen.

The only saving grace of Gen 3 was FR/LG and maybe Colosseum and Gale of Darkness.
>>
>>381969730
Gen 3 is when they started getting retarded ideas for pokemon and were already at their wits end.

Jesus christ modern pokemon are eother retarded shapes, retarded inanimate objects that are suddenly now pokemon, or digimon knockoff humanoids.

Or keldeo, literally "my little pony" retard shit.

Pokemon sucks fucking shit, and this beaten horse has long been dead.
>>
The meta is better now than ever. The single player has never been good. The first couple games are charming at best, the rest are obnoxious anime games.
>>
>>381969923
Bike theme in my head is Gen 2, I think.
Can't remember SS Anne, Pallet Town, Safari zone, or Vermillion.
Pokemon center (you listed it twice) melds into something else in my head.
I do remember guide, Lavender, Gym leader, Mt. Moon, Viridian Forest, possibly Route 3 if that's the one I'm thinking of, Saffron theme, and Champion theme.
>>
>>381970325
>The meta is better now than ever.
Yeah, 4 keeps on getting better.
>>
File: 1489271444149.png (266KB, 368x657px) Image search: [Google]
1489271444149.png
266KB, 368x657px
>>381970180
That is not an impressive number.

Grand theft auto 5 sold 80 million.
>>
>>381960354
I enjoyed everything up to ORAS. It wasn't because of 4chan, I complained about XY but I actually liked that game just because of multiple playthroughs and huge as fuck pokédex.

Now I can't even play any pokémon game. Burned out for good.
>>
File: 1494907926118.jpg (86KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
1494907926118.jpg
86KB, 449x401px
>>381970325

>meta

no one besides mega-autists care about meta. It's a kids game, not a e-sport
>>
>>381970476
You're really, really dumb.
>>
>>381970325
Competitive took a step forward and a step backward in gen 7. We got a fantastic IV judge, but we lost the PSS.
>>
>>381970476
Grand Theft Auto 5 was multi-platform and multi-generation, and has been out for far far longer.
>>
>>381970257
>retarded shapes
Electrode being a sphere with a smiley face on it?

>retarded inanimate objects
Koffing based off a mine?

>digimon knockoff humanoids
Hitmonchan? Jinx?
>>
>>381970325
>pokemon
>pvp
>>
>>381970257
>modern pokemon are eother retarded shapes
Like the Porygon line?
>retarded inanimate objects that are suddenly now pokemon
Like Magnemite, Magneton, Voltorb, Electrode, Geodude, Grimer, and Muk?
>or digimon knockoff humanoids
Like Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Tyrogue, Electabuzz, Magmar, Jynx, Machop, Machoke, and Machamp?

Yes, I know this was bait, but there are people who actually have this opinion for real.
>>
>>381970536
You seem to think 15 is a larger number than 80 so maybe i'm actually not dumb, even by a little?
>>
>>381970516
Pokemon battles are pretty fun. Not sure why you're so eager to out yourself as a casual. 2v2 fights with your friends are fucking dope.
>>
>>381970476
GTA 5 is an anomally, no other game sells like this
>>
File: bulbasaur.png (68KB, 526x474px) Image search: [Google]
bulbasaur.png
68KB, 526x474px
>>381970052
>>381969840

Is this the Mandela effect?
>>
>>381969693
No, Emerald is.
>>
>>381969516
>Good luck getting a dark type before you beat the game.
Yeah, good luck getting a dark type before you beat the game in RBY. Or a Mewtwo. Or a dragonite.
Pokemone has always had shit that's intended to be 'post game' content. Also you seem to be suggesting that beating the E4 is beating the game. You can get dark types pretty easily in Kanto. It's also technically possible to get a dark type in Johto but difficult.
>way too many normal types thrown at you with interesting shit held back until Kanto.
This is not true. Off the top of my head you could get grass, psychic, bug, poison, flying, rock, water, and electric before hitting the fourth gym. None of these are hidden/rare either, you would encounter them through normal routes at reasonable rarities.
>No, it was really quite shitty.
It was the same map design it had always been. A number of dungeons were cut/simplified but the map/routes were basically the same. Unless you think that kanto was shitty in gen 1 you're full of shit.
>Jasmine? Really?
Assuming you did Olivine before Mahogany, yes. Steelix is a wall to general pysical types and if you aren't a fag who just overlevels your starter (or you happen to be a turbofag and picked chikorita) it can easily sweep you.
>Claire and Lance are only hard because of the level jump.
Claire is hard because Kingdra has no weaknesses to exploit and comparably high base stats to most of what you are probably running at the time. Lance is hard because his team has 3 dragonites and high BP moves. Fuck off with your 'oh they aren't ACTUALLY hard, it's just level grind' bullshit. You are wrong.
>>
>>381970516
The funny thing is those pathetic fucks actually think an RNGfest children's game IS an eSport.

It's as competitive as Mario Kart.
>>
File: 1483866523933.png (437KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1483866523933.png
437KB, 612x612px
>>381970714
>best selling franchise
>use the sales numbers of only one game in the franchise
>>
>>381970871
There are no dark types in gen 1. Not reading the rest of your post.
>>
>>381960354
I'm a pretty big pokemon nerd, but 7 just didn't interest me at all.
>>
>>381970743

But why do I need meta to play with my friends?

We play for fun, not to min-max and eevee train
>>
>>381969840
The only Grass-type in Gen 1 to not be part Poison is Tangela.
>>
>>381969203
>RBGY were great for their time

they really weren't, they were just super popular
>>
>>381970870
Emerald is outclassed in almost every way by Platinum and HGSS.

Emerald is still a great game though, and the definitive way of experiencing Hoenn, but it's not the best in the series.
>>
>there are people that played gen 2 and didn't pick based pear-mon chikorita
>>
>>381970325
>meta is better
nigger we have tapus that run everything instead of genies now.
>>
File: emoji.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
emoji.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>381970325
>the meta is better now

t. I don't play pokemon competitively
>>
File: smug.jpg (3KB, 113x125px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
3KB, 113x125px
>>381970871
>Yeah, good luck getting a dark type before you beat the game in RBY
>>
>>381970325
>add battle royale
Fuck yeah.
>remove triple battle
You fucked up.
>>
>>381969605
2 is my least favourite generation. There are some great designs, like Scizor, Heracross, and Tyranitar, but overall it's not that great. I mean, it's not necessarily bad, either. It's just bland and boring. Most of the monsters were designs they rejected from Gen 1, and it really shows through.
>>
I fucking hate the 3D instead of sprites to be quite honest. I thought I would like it. I thought it would be a good idea. It was a mistake.
>>
File: 1471759908377.jpg (92KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
1471759908377.jpg
92KB, 500x345px
>>381971178

>tfw restarted 3 times to try all starters
>also restarted after I got my event celebi thinking it would stay after the restart

Learnt a lot of things that day
>>
>>381971171
And why weren't they great for their time?
>>
>>381970476
Consider the production and marketing costs for each of these games.
>>
>>381971046
That's cool. But you're a casual. Most of my friends actually care about being decent at the game, since it isnt hard to get perfect stat pokemon anymore.
>>
>>381971071
there's also parasect and exeggutor
>>
>>381969809
HGSS was boring and the most grindy Pokemon game.
>>
>>381970636
>>381970689
When i say digimon knockoff humanoids, i mean "digimon knockoff humanoids", not just "humanoids".

Digimon humanoids have physical inorganic objects, clothes or armor. How the fuck is blaziken literally not a digimon, for example?

And what object is magnemite, and does magnemite attempt to be anything but metal? How does that compare to the literal keychain pokemon, or the lantern ghost pokemon, or the bell and rope pokemon?

it isnt bait at all, modern pokemon designs are embarassingly shit tier. The SM legendaries look like fuckin yugiohs too so it wasnt enough to knockoff digimon.

fucking incestuous downhill spiral. Copying people who copied you ad infinitum while somehow getting away from what made many original designs appreciable.
>>
>>381971439
well for one they were barely functioning.
>>
>>381971498
They're Bug and Psychic primarily.
>>
>>381971528
>shitting on Chandelure
Get the fuck out
>>
>>381971519
how the fuck is HGSS grindy when the entire second half pits you against underleveled pokemon?
>>
File: Honchkrow.gif (2MB, 453x333px) Image search: [Google]
Honchkrow.gif
2MB, 453x333px
>>381971383
I think it has to do with both the animation and coloring of the games. Pokemon like Honchkrow do a generic wing flap when idle and the animations are still relatively standard for most other mons. In Gen VII, a fully 3D, non-grid world made the region look pretty small and empty, for some reason, too.

Here's what Honchkrow looks like in PBR (Wii's Stadium), for comparison.
>>
>>381971540
wrong
>>
>>381971540
A few moves not working correctly and glitches you'd have to go out of your way to activate is not "barely functioning".
>>
>>381960354
Gen 6 for me, the lack of actual content in any of the games released in that generation is astounding. Gen 7 is like the worst parts of Gen 5 but it's still better than 6.
>>
>>381971621
Anon, reread his post.
>>
>>381971459

yeah, see, my friends aren't like that. They're normal functioning member of society.
>>
>>381971720
Oh I'd love to hear the argument for this one, they literally had to release a blue version in Japan because the originals were so broken and it's STILL beyond glitchy

>>381971787
>a few
>>
>>381971621
Because in the first half if you wanted more then two pokemon you had to use up all the trainers in the area and then go to the grass and train on severely underlevelled pokemon.
>>
>>381971621
Because good luck leveling for the e4 off the garbage wild pokemon, and Kanto is even worse about it.
>>
>>381971528
>Digimon humanoids have physical inorganic objects, clothes or armor. How the fuck is blaziken literally not a digimon, for example?

And where exactly is the "physical, inorganic object, clothes or armor" on this fire chicken? Especially moreso than Hitmonchan who has literal boxing gloves? Furthermore do you honestly not see how Magnemite is a floating magnet with an eyeball? Or Grimer is living sludge? Or how Voltorb and Electrode are pokeballs with eyes on it? Your argument has some serious holes in it.
>>
>>381971819
Yeah, if they hang out with you I doubt that.
>>
>>381971828
just because they have bugs doesn't they're bad games
>>
File: 250px-257Blaziken.png (50KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-257Blaziken.png
50KB, 250x250px
>>381971528
Magnemite is literally a Magnemite that came to life because... who knows. Klefki and Chandelure actual creatures that just mimic objects; Klefki, to steal keys, and Chendelure, to pretend to be a literally light in the darkness to guide lost people out of the woods, but slowly drain the souls.

Also, Machoke and Machamp have a champion's belt for no reason. At least with Pokemon like Sawk and Throh it explains that they weave their clothes out of reeds because they learned it from humans. On top of that, where the fuck do you see clothes on Blaziken?
>>
>>381971912
>>381972084
Just fuck already
>>
>>381971953

the bar isn't too high with all the manchildren playing nintendo games competitively dragging the average down so far these days.
>>
>>381971819
Pokemon is so interesting, in that its a series that /v/ seems gleeful to demonstrate how casual they are at.

>you actually like battling other people? WOW YOU HAVE NO LIFE!
>>
File: 1498325929881.jpg (17KB, 204x190px) Image search: [Google]
1498325929881.jpg
17KB, 204x190px
>>381972261
Guess we win this argument, then.
>>
Whichever one that was first on the 3DS.
>>
File: Enable- Secondary (1).jpg (6KB, 107x183px) Image search: [Google]
Enable- Secondary (1).jpg
6KB, 107x183px
>>381971912
>>381971912
The nigger is wearing pants and a mask with horns or some arbitrary random xd horns coming out of its face.

like shit most of these retarded designs get exacerbated even worse with mega evolutions, the concept of which is more in line with a digimon mechanic too.

Pokemon has no value past gen 2.
>>
>>381960354
None really. Each game improved on previous game mechanics more than they remove (many features make an eventual return.)
>>
File: 1485021542941.png (43KB, 484x402px) Image search: [Google]
1485021542941.png
43KB, 484x402px
>>381972530
You know what? I don't have the capability to believe anyone is this stupid. Points for stringing me along for this long.
>>
>>381972356
There's a reason why /v/ and /vp/ circlejerk postgame content and BW2 so much. Those factors in the games are all single player only content that is replayable. They'd rather fight the AI over and over instead of learning to adapt to playing with other people. I'm willing to bet that most of them don't even know that you can play through Platinum or HGSS's Battle Frontier with a friend, despite that also being content they like.
>>
>>381972692
Your mistake was joining a pokemon design argument in the first place.
>>
>>381972530
Okay? But what does that have to do with Blaziken which you specifically cited as an example of digimon design? Shit even Mega Blaziken doesn't have the shit you're talking about.
>>
>>381960354
gen 5
>>
I miss when handhelds had best dimension 2d games and consoles had 3d spinoffs. Truly the best combination
>>
File: 1493135096689.png (60KB, 606x530px) Image search: [Google]
1493135096689.png
60KB, 606x530px
>>381972692
>>
>>381972913
I'm really hoping the new Pokemon game on the Switch is Colosseum v3. Would honestly sell me a console
>>
>>381972854
You mean saved it.
>>
5 ruined it 7 brought it back desu
>>
File: 1449725846321.png (413KB, 662x599px) Image search: [Google]
1449725846321.png
413KB, 662x599px
>>381967451>>381967451
>Gen I fags can be obnoxious, but Gen II thinks it can stand on the same pedestal. Gen II needed Gen I to hold its hand to be relevant. Gen III and onwards stood on their own feet. Even Gen II's remakes couldn't get Johto right.
>Gen II is just an expansion pack for Gen I and it suffers because of it.

This post is correct and no one ever can refute it. HGSS barely fixed any of the problems GSC had and is one of the most boring mainline Pokemon games to revisit.
>>
>>381972740
Doing multi battles with friends online is one of my favorite aspects of SM. Plus even though the Maison was pretty weak, it was still fun with a friend.

What they need is the ability to play with friends in the facilities over Wifi.

No lie though I still play the PWT and Battle Frontier from Gen 4 sometimes since I have really fucking awesome stuff in those games, like HA Ninetales and Venusaur with HP Fire.
>>
>>381972990
Another edgefest like XD would be great
>>
>>381973116
Shut up. Gen 7 is atrocious.
>>
File: 1486352435330.png (134KB, 299x301px) Image search: [Google]
1486352435330.png
134KB, 299x301px
>>381967451
>>381973130
>mfw the level distribution in Gen 2
You're still finding level 17 wild Pokemon right before the 8th gym.
>>
File: blushing girl.jpg (310KB, 512x620px) Image search: [Google]
blushing girl.jpg
310KB, 512x620px
>>381960354
I'd say Pokemon is still a perfectly serviceable all ages JRPG franchise. Nothing really "ruined" it, even though there has been plenty of fuckups.
To actually ruin Pokemon you'd have to do something drastic and ridiculously stupid, which even (whatever game you hate) hasn't done yet, no matter what you may think of it.
>completely remove transfer between games (a la gen 3 but worse)
>removing species outright
>making the online trading and battling a paid subscription service
>forcing the player to release Pokemon
>infusing real life politics into the games
>making an ACTUAL reboot that kills off the originals and makes pokemon based on emojis or some shit, not the "soft reboot" of 5 with counterparts
>selling it to disney
>>
File: IMG_6885.png (53KB, 150x370px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6885.png
53KB, 150x370px
>>381960354
Was he a step in the right direction? Honestly, that black kid who was your "real" rival was a total non-threat.
>>
>>381973848
Hau wasn't the rival at all. He was more akin to Bianca.
Gladion is the real rival, his theme is even called rival battle.
>>
>>381973447
Which is pretty cool. The level curve in Johto is so different from other games that it's another reason to play through it again.

Part of Johto's level curve is due to it's somewhat non-linear nature.
>>
File: Malasadas.png (102KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
Malasadas.png
102KB, 400x240px
>>381973848
The game's data classifies Gladio as a rival, Hau's just "friend".
I think GF and the fans' mindset on who's a rival and who isn't differs, in that Cheren follows the usual "strong starter" rival trend, but N's your actual competition even though his team is always different. The two of them and Bianca also are the only characters with animated sprites, signifying their importance.
>>
>>381973848
With that being said it's easy to get caught off guard by his A. Raichu. Speaking of A. Raichu, does this mean GF is done fapping to Pikachu and going out of their way to make Pikachu better than Raichu?
>>
>>381961230
This. Gen 3.
>>
File: pokemon Sapphire rain.gif (45KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon Sapphire rain.gif
45KB, 240x160px
>>381961917
It feels good
>>
File: Tate and Liza comp 1.png (181KB, 1100x684px) Image search: [Google]
Tate and Liza comp 1.png
181KB, 1100x684px
>>381969658
>>381969229
ORAS is an abysmally dull game that insults the player's intelligence at every turn. Emerald is still a fun experience even with the few dated mechanics it possesses. It's no wonder it's one of the most replayed mainline games in the whole series.
>>
>>381974018
>its cool that the level curve is ass
You're going to have to walk me through that one. Just because you can go left or right at Mahogany Town isn't an excuse for the game to make it incredibly tedious to level.

IMO the horrific level curve is one of the biggest problems with Gen 2 as a whole, which is a shame since almost everything else is so good.
>>
>>381974118
>several new "ash hat" pikachu event pokemon
>more than one special Z-Move crystal
No.
Although I'll take anything for Raichu at this point, and A-Raichu is wonderful. Such a cute, soft little thing and an interesting typing.
>>
>>381974194
To be fair, their teams were even worse in RS.
>>
File: 1230161513.jpg (379KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1230161513.jpg
379KB, 1280x720px
>>381973848
Even Hau was a step in the right direction compared to the ridiculously incompetent XY friend circle
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (257KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
257KB, 1920x1080px
X/Y is the worst gen of Pokemon
>>
File: 1485104693790.png (730KB, 1200x396px) Image search: [Google]
1485104693790.png
730KB, 1200x396px
>>381974495
I started off hating Hau but he grew on me. Say what you will about SM but I think the characters were way better than in XY.
>>
>>381974495
I actually liked Hau. People dismiss him with the "malasada lmao" thing but it's not like he was some unlikable prick that stayed the same throughout the whole plot and had no background details, a la XY.
>>
>>381974673
XY had Saturday morning cartoon tier characters.
>>
File: 1480647455933.png (240KB, 432x429px) Image search: [Google]
1480647455933.png
240KB, 432x429px
>>381974673
>but I think the characters were way better than in XY
That's not much of a feat.
>>
Hot opinion: content-wise, the games have been getting consistently worse ever since XY with lacking postgame and a bunch of incompetent design decisions that feel patronizing even for actual children.

Monster design-wise, Pokemon has only been getting better and better.
>>
File: 1375316146096.png (345KB, 531x348px) Image search: [Google]
1375316146096.png
345KB, 531x348px
>>381973130
>>381967451
>FRLG lets you rematch strong trainers with the VS seeker
>Emerald lets you rematch Gym Leaders that get progressively stronger
>Platinum let's you rematch strong trainers with the VS seeker, AND lets you rematch multiple Gym Leaders and companions each day

>HGSS lets you rematch Gym leaders but only if you notify each one on a specific 4-hour time frame within a specific day of the week, and only after you find them in an ambiguous area in the region
>Gen2fags still treat HGSS like the holy grail

Whoever formatted the trainer system and pokemon distribution for HGSS deserves to be shot.
>>
>>381962152
crystal is the best game to start with, it's also probably the best pokemon game ever made.
it also doesn't forcibly strangle you with tutorials like every game past gen 3 does.
>>
>>381975013
As someone who hasn't played a new Pokemon game since 2009, I can't fathom how people still buy/play these games after they took away the VS Seeker and gym leader rematches.
>>
>>381973848
He wasn't fought nearly enough in the game, imo. All his fights were either frontloaded or backloaded. At least his Type:Null is a legit challenge.
>>
Personally for me
Gen1 - respectively cool being the start of the series

Gen2 - awesome step up, added more diverse options new types, held items, etc.

Gen3 - new battle mechanic nobody really cared about until gen 5, cool passive abilities, new moves, more new items and types, doesn't feel too linear because you 180 across the map like 3 times always for something new

Gen4 - Cool new evolutions, kinda shit variety to choose from when trying to build a team early tho, more items, more abilities, map feels really open after the 5th gym

B&W -^ except with better variety to choose from minus the map, basically on train tracks for 80% of the game

B&W2 - what black and white should've been, huge variety, cool Arena challenges, train tracks are at least more pleasant

Gen6 - I actually enjoyed the 3d modeling, so many options and pokes to choose from I didn't feel the negatives half the time, wonder trade and shiny hunting are cool

OR AS - personal favorite now, mainly nostalgia trip with all updates since originals, secret bases, wonder trade, shiny hunting, amount of legendaries is insane+not needing a flier thanks to latias/latios

Gen7 - still trying to play it, train tracks everywhere, still trying to recover from that one kid on island 2 that won't let you take the road because his dog wants to find all the items and you can't tell him to fukoff
>>
File: celesteelaandchikin.jpg (104KB, 850x694px) Image search: [Google]
celesteelaandchikin.jpg
104KB, 850x694px
>>381974984
I like the games overall, but I agree with your second point (although 4 and 6 felt a little weak there). I love 7's UBs, they're some of the most creative designs the series has had in years, and I've been waiting since I was a wee lad for a proper isopod pokemon.
>>
>>381973790
>To actually ruin Pokemon you'd have to do something drastic and ridiculously stupid
Which people have pointed out they have right in this thread already. Can you not read or do you expect other people not to read?
>>
I honestly feel like Gen 5 was the last gen where GF tried to give a fuck into making a hard and creative game. Gen 6 and 7 held your hand in a lot of things and made it easier for you to play. I was disappointed with X and Y and Sun and moon (especially Sun and Moon). X and Y was piss easy and so was Sun and Moon. The catch rate of the chances of any gen 7 pokemon was so low that it was ridiculous. The legendaries were easy to catch, and it was just lackluster in general. I hated how SM was Lille:The Game. X and Y was forgettable. The pokemon for both gens were alright. i just miss the feeling of going back to a Pokemon game because there was so damn much to do. The facilities from gen 3 to 5 had me coming back because of things like the Pokealthon, Black Tower, Battle Frontier, and especially the facility that should have been in Sun and Moon because it was an anniversary game; the Pokemon World Tournament. The post games suck ass now
>>
>>381975414
This is a really generic and uninformative post.
>>
>>381975259
All gens have Gym Leader rematches. It's just that some do it better than others. For example, BW2 has the Tournament and XY have the Chateu.
>>
>>381975449
No they haven't, not series-ruiningly stupid.
You have no concept of the severity of errors if you think anything pointed out so far is capable of ruining the series. Damaging it, yes, but nothing "ruining" yet.
>>
>>381975414
>not needing a flier thanks to latias/latios
At what point are they going to drop HMs for a new mechanic
>>
>>381975540
PWT seriously should have came back for Sun and Moon
>>
>>381960354
>Gen 1

>Venusaur twice
>Charizard twice

Whoever did this is a fucking retard

How hard was it to go
>Moltres
>Zaptos
>Articuno
>Mewtwo

Seriously I'm fucking triggered

Also factually Gen 4 onwards was the beginning of the end. Gen 1 and 2 are all pokemon designed at the same time, Gen 3 was the rightful sequel series of pokemon, everything after that is fanfiction teir.
>>
>>381960354
Six with the stupid mega-evolution power creep.
>>
>>381960354
I started on Gen 1
My favorite generation was 3
I think Gen 4 was when I stopped caring.
>>
>>381975453
Catch rate? SM Pokemon have pretty bland, normal catchrates, typically among the 80-45 range (i.e. you'll catch them if you weaken them properly).
>>
>>381975607
Are you kidding or did you sleep through SM?
>>
>>381975697
They're the covers.
Green had Venusaur, the remake, Leafgreen, had Venusaur as well. Same for Charizard with Red and Firered. Remakes have the same Pokemon species on the covers.
>>
>>381975730
I meant appearance rate. My bad
>>
>>381960354
>Blastoise
>Charizard
>Venusaur
>Pikachu
>Venusaur
>Charizard

>Ho oh
>Lugia
>Suicune
>Ho oh
>Lugia

>Groudon
>Kygore
>Dragonfucker
>Grouden
>Kyogre

Whoever made this fucking image is beyond fucked in the head.
>>
>>381960354
Gen 4 is when the legendaries became irredeemable shit. Gen 3 was close but still cool, 4 is over the line
>>
>>381960354
Gen VI. GameFreak runs everything on the cheap and quick despite making billions. Doing things in 3D meant they no longer had time for worthwhile content or even fully functional games. They've also gone way fucking overboard with the handholding despite children being able to beat these easy as shit games since 1996.
>>
>>381975646
I would like to see the PWT return but for it to be actually good this time.
>>
>>381975832
it's the pokemon on the box, retard.
how do you even get up in the morning, being so stupid?
>>
>>381975828
The appearance rates were pretty generous as far as this series goes, no new Pokemon that you could find in the grass had encounter rates of lower than 5%. Many previous games locked new Pokemon behind 1% and 3% encounter rates. The issue is not appearance rate, it's where they're distributed, which the last 2 gens have suffered from. Gen 6 from having massive oversaturation, and gen 7 from having weird distribution patterns.
>>
>>381975832
those are the box arts for the remakes, you fucking retard.
>>
>>381975580
Not that anon but both of your posts are pretty ambiguous when it comes to gauging how a game franchise is being ruined. I've read the thread and see people point out how slower the games have gotten, how they hand out important items/monsters with little to no challenge for the player, and how fun mechanics/content that increased past games' replayability have been removed. If that's not a franchise being ruined, then I don't think anyone can convince you.
>>
>>381975697
>>381975832
Be still brainlets, it's the cover arts.
>>
I only played gold in game boy color, mostly because all pokemon games seems like the same shit just reskined to me.
Is worthing playing the new ones?
>>
>>381960354
Gen 1
>>
>>381976148
Read the thread.
>>
>>381975935
I thought it was already good. What do you mean by wanting it to be good this time if I may ask?
>>
>>381960354
gen 5
they didn´t even try or add anything new, instead they cut It
>>
Im actually pretty worried about the gen IV remake because ORAS was really disappointing for me, and the 3D is still pretty ugly.
>>
>>381976148
>Is worthing playing the new ones?
No.
>>
>>381975935
But it was already good.
>>
>>381976114
None of those things can really ruin the franchise though, they just make it lesser. Being damaged in quality or having a couple games that are lesser quality does not constitute a ruined series. A ruined series would be something completely different. /v/ doesn't gauge the severity of adjectives well and resorts to extremes. None of the things you listed have reached the level that could constitute ruined.
>>
I still enjoy pokemon. I find myself doing less and less of the postgame content though, and it seems to correlate to there just being so much less of it that feels worthwhile. I think S/M was a decent game, and the Ultra Beast hunt was enjoyable. I don't think any game killed the franchise, but the worst of them was D/P. Platinum redeemed that generation though, and is my personal favorite. I do wish we got more new regions, rather than remaking/making a sequel to something we just got finished with. The turnover is too quick to make sequels like that and have them feel fresh.
>>
>>381976217
They added a lot of new shit so idk what you're saying senpai. BW2 was the last peak until content in pokemon games started to decline.
>>
>>381976148
If by "new ones" you mean the post-GBC games like Emerald, Platinum, or B2W2? Maybe, go for it if you really want.

If by "new ones" you mean the recent 3DS games like XY, ORAS, or SM? Hell no.
>>
>>381976114
Idk, he laid it out pretty well. The games have gotten crappier but that doesn't mean it's ruined, ruined would imply that they destroyed everything enjoyable, period. Pokemon is a massive franchise and isn't solely encompassed in the games.
>>
BW2>Platinum=emerald>HGSS=XY>everything else
>>
Tell me /v/, how do the original Gold and Silver compare to the remakes?
>>
>>381976343
I was talking about BW mostly
BW2 only added PWT, the hard mode(only available after you beat the league lol) and the theater as far as I remember
Medals were shit by the way
>>
>>381976676
born in 1998 detected
>>
>>381976817
BW2 added a ton of extra areas, dungeons, and endgame trainer battles and side quests.
>>
File: celesteelafire.jpg (432KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
celesteelafire.jpg
432KB, 1000x1000px
>>381960354
>tfw favorite games are still BW2
>tfw liked SM because I ended up caring about Lillie and the new designs were amazing
>tfw can't talk about it anywhere on /v/ or /vp/ without Pokebarneyfag butting in or someone telling me to kms
It's a strange feel
>>
>>381960354
3 every other answer is wrong
>>
>>381976951
Ultra Beasts were the coolest fucking things. Haters gonna hate but I love them all to death.

Even the UB postgame quest was fun.
>>
>>381976921
I was talking about new stuffs, not more of the same
>>
>>381977036
Oh, so you're changing what "new" means so you win the argument, I see.
>>
>>381977021
They're my favorite sublegend group by far. So creative, I love the concept of a fluid filled macho man mosquito or a steel bamboo space princess with the body of a rocket/SELENE.
>>
>>381977021
Them being so strange was so fucking appealing. I love them all equally.
>>
>>381977128
read my first post faggot
>>
File: 1497412437989.jpg (911KB, 925x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1497412437989.jpg
911KB, 925x1280px
>>381977132
GIMME THAT JUICE NIGGA
>>
>>381976327
I think this conversation is flawed because you initiated it by thinking through exaggerated terms. I'm going to do what the other poster did and refer to the criticism made by others already in the thread. We can't be thinking solely by each level eroding quality. We need to be specific and address the trends. If a developer is consistently making poor choices that severely hinder enjoyability of the playerbase, why can't a franchise be consider ruined? Isn't this the equivalent of saying that a 50 year-old obese person that weighs over 350 pounds isn't ruined? Sure, the person has a chance of fixing themselves, and great damage has already been done.
>>
>>381977021
Honestly one of the reasons I bothered finishing SM. Pokemon designs were getting a little stale for me but the UBs were so different that I actually wanted to use legendary pokemon for once in my life, especially that musclebro bug.
>>
File: 1497412712087.jpg (987KB, 1280x909px) Image search: [Google]
1497412712087.jpg
987KB, 1280x909px
>>381977257
Getting Guzzlord with HP Ice and then bottle capping it up to max stats was so fucking satisfying. It laid waste to the entire Battle Tree.
>>
File: 1497412775807.jpg (761KB, 906x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1497412775807.jpg
761KB, 906x1280px
>>381977416
Er, not Guzzlord, Xurkitree. I was thinking of Guzma for some fucking reason and goofed hard.
>>
>>381960354
gen 2
>>
>>381977227
I suppose you can consider it ruined under your perception, but ruined is a very final, definite term. It insinuates the franchise has been utterly destroyed, with nothing left to enjoy. The games are still perfectly serviceable as I said, and while they have suffered heavy damage they still hold capacity to improve and the franchise encompasses many things outside of just the mainline titles. If the OP had directly stated he wasn't just talking about the whole franchise and was solely referring to the games, then, yes, if you really disliked some of the things that happened with the series it is ruined in the proper sense, as you can not enjoy the games and find nothing remaining of what you formerly enjoyed. The analogy is appreciated but it isn't exactly equivalent.
My original post was meant to provide a simple perspective however, as I merely listed a series of things that would actually destroy the franchise, even to the wider audience.
>>
>>381977416
I love Xurk. One of the Pokemon that really works great as a model, especially the dancing look of the idle poses.
>>
File: 1497413286341.jpg (455KB, 1617x1093px) Image search: [Google]
1497413286341.jpg
455KB, 1617x1093px
>>381977820
Top tier taste, anon.

I think most of the Gen 6-7 stuff looks great in 3D, much like how Gen 5's pokemon fit the moving sprites very well.
>>
>>381977203
>straight up murders that pangoro
F
>>
>>381977953
Yeah, I think part of that is because they were specifically designed for that. I like how much more alive it makes them look regardless though, especially expressive Pokemon like Buzzwole or Mimikyu.
>>
They all have their pros and cons. 6 is what killed interest for me.
>Gen 1
+Started it all
-Glitchy and unbalanced as fuck
>Gen 2
+Built new types for balance and reworked some stats
+Added the day/night and calendar system
-Cramped as fuck Johto region made everything feel small while Kanto just felt empty
>Gen 3
Didn't actually play this one.
>Gen 4
+A pretty varied world with lots of extras scattered around
+Special and physical split was undeniably a good change
-Poor distribution of types until Platinum
-A really bad story and the first I know of that really focused in on it
Gen 5
+Some interesting ideas in the world building
+HMs no longer necessary
-Story was better than 4 but canceled out by how much more they dragged your hand at places
-Starting to get pretty ridiculous in half their designs, made worse by their "only new pokemon" until you got to post game
>Gen 5 and a half
+Most back to basics pokemon with barely any care for a grand story
+Made the world even better
+Good variety of pokemon
+Best end game given I guess I can't compare this to Emerald personally
-The game had to be an awkward second version and thus hard to get into for anyone who played BW1
>Gen 6
+3d pokemon models are kinda nice
+Can play dress up
-Boring world/towns, dragged out story awful story, completely forgettable everything
>Gen 7
+No more grid, actually using that 3d world
+Broke some of the formula making it stand out as not so forgettable
+Characters are pretty fun and stand out a bit better
-Triples down on the hand holding and cutscenes
-Barely anything to find to the side
>>
File: kadabra points something out.jpg (41KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
kadabra points something out.jpg
41KB, 500x475px
>>381960354
I don't think any particular generation 'ruined' the series, but I think the regression in features became more prominent around Gen IV-V. VI was probably the weakest overall.
>>
>>381978229
Man, I didn't even mind 6 too much because of the nice online, but fuck me the story was FE Fates tier retarded.
>idiot useless friends that do nothing for the plot and have no development
>villain that could have a reasonably salvageable evil motivation ends up being a hypocritical asshole because he's whining about humans despoiling the world in the nicest, most idyllic nation on the planet
>can end up using the life giving Xerneas as the nuke fuel instead of the deathly Yveltal, with the reasoning only being that it uses life energy to kill things
Good lord.
>>
>>381960354
Pokemon as a whole
>>
>>381978312
You know, Kadabra is a really nice design. Love that chunky tail.
>>
>>381978312
>regression in features
>Gen IV-V
Huh? Gen IV added shit that III cut and V refined it.
>>
controversial: oras was good, and i'm glad i bought a 3ds for it
>>
>>381978910
more controversial
All the 3DS Pokemon titles were good and I enjoyed them all
XY for online
ORAS for Secret Bases
SM for the enjoyable plot
>>
>>381960354
Gen 3 was the start of the decline if you are talking in terms of pokemon designs becoming too overdesigned and less traditional pokemon. Gen 3 is also where the formula got stale yet they never innovated the games at all. Same old gameplay basically introduced in gen 1 only with a bunch of tweaks to the core formula.

Ever since gen 3 the designs just kept getting worst. Only gens 1-2 are worth playing and maybe gen 3. Don't bother with the rest.
>>
>>381978312
>VI was probably the weakest overall.
Thanks to rushing to Gen VII,
Gen VI was left without a comparable second iteration of a game.
>>
>>381979029
>>381978910
Yeah I'm going to agree with you, not being 10/10 best Pokemon game ever doesn't mean they were shit. Its more of a frustration thing people had with it being relatively low on new content for a remake. XY were pretty meh but my God the online was great.
>>
>>381979230
Ye. Good post.
I wish more people on /v/ could grasp the concept that even if it wasn't a 10/10 GOAT in the series that a game can still be enjoyed by some.
>>
>>381978229
>Gen 3
>Didn't actually play this one.

One perk these games had were that they ran faster, it's the only generation that runs at a consistent 60 FPS too. Probably not all that impressive graphically for a handheld RPG at the time, but it's still a step up from what the games looked like on GBC. Also introduced the box system we're still using, albeit more polished.

>>381978745
I should've clarified, it was more that the jump between IV to V made it apparent that Gamefreak tended to take a feature that were pretty good or useful in a particular game and either replace it with an inferior substitute or drop it entirely, never to be used again. I liked things such as the VS Seeker, NavDex, Horde Battles for retarded easy EV training, etc.

>>381978723
It's got a nice evo line, too.

>>381978910
It's pretty alright if you like capturing Pokemon, at least.

>>381979204
Yeah, Kalos really needed another iteration for how underwhelming XY were.
>>
>>381979029
is the sm plot actually good? i have it ready to go but haven't started yet

do they actually break away from the 8 gym format or is it the same shit? i know they eventually get a pokemon league
>>
>>381960354
Gen 1 was good but then it came around and ruined it for X and Y and then a bit for S/M
>>
>>381979373
I agree, but I think VS Seeker was really the only thing lost in Gen V. I really,really hope DexNav comes back, holy shit that was amazing.

>>381979403
I personally thought the stuff with the Ultra Beasts was pretty neat. Its a definite break for the series and has nothing to do with collecting gym badges, its more about you helping a family with an extremely abusive, drug-addicted mother.
>>
>>381979484
gen 1 did nothing wrong on its own

they chose to appeal to nostalgia for sales instead of making good games on their own
>>
>>381979403
You have different trial captains with their own challenges that end up a Totem Pokemon fight, after beating all the ones for an island you face the Kahuna. The former are a considerable step up in challenge and I think it encourages you to utilize all six spots in your party thanks to the lack of HMs.
>>
>>381979403
It's enjoyable if not a bit simple. Some people didn't like it due to how centralized the game is around it but I liked that it told a story around a character other than the player, it gave them more freedom to use her in the plot rather than take the personal feeling away from the player character. I liked it, but some don't. Try it out.

Gyms were replaced by things where a single massive variant of a certain Pokemon will initiate combat and summon minions while giving itself a autobuff to one stat upon the battle's start. It's ok, fresher than a standard trainer battle.
>>
>>381979373
But that tail though
Makes it look a bit more appealing than Alakazam imo. Abra is still a divine design though.
Thread posts: 524
Thread images: 79

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.