[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you judge a video game? Do you score with a subjective

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 2649604-votingpubs2014.jpg (95KB, 567x310px) Image search: [Google]
2649604-votingpubs2014.jpg
95KB, 567x310px
How do you judge a video game?

Do you score with a subjective metric or objective?
Do you rate games on what they try to be?
Do genre's have different metrics?
Would you judge Super Mario Galaxy the same way you would judge Starcraft 3?
Do you account for past games in the same series?

I ask this cause I was reminded today of an article I read written by a game critic justifying his high score he gave to a recent COD game. He said that he judges each game like he's never played any game in that series before, and that he judges each game is judged completely individually from any other game, which means he never accounted for lack of innovation in the series or genre. Is this a fair assessment or just bullshit?
>>
>>381931293
Sans your image and your last paragraph (who honestly cares what those corrupt obsolete hacks say), I commend you for making the best thread /v/ has seen in days.
>>
>>381931293
Don't you want to talk?
>>
>>381933110
Yeah I'd like too but nobody is responding and >>381931737 didn't give me much to respond to
>>
>>381931293
I think games are designed to provide the player with an experience and many games do this in very different ways. A holistic approach is needed because games don't fit into discrete categories. I judge games based on their individual experience, not factoring in innovation (past games, etc) or expectations (I don't care whether a game fits into a genre or not). I judge games based on their value to anyone which sometimes does not match my personal preferences.
>>
>>381933739
Also I think game critics are a complete joke and their opinions are worth less than nothing.
>>
>>381933739
>not factoring in innovation (past games, etc)

So let's say for example your favorite game is X. If game Y comes out that is a carbon copied reskin of game X, do you still give it the same rating? Also if they release a sequel, X2, and changed absolutely nothing about the gameplay, and the only difference is the story and levels, is the only thing you change in your review how you feel about the change in story and the levels?
>>
>>381933739
>>381933594
I value games that value their own ethical and artistic integrity above marketability and accessibility.
>>
>>381934558
I'm can't tell whether you're arguing subsequent titles are somehow better, or worse.
>>
>>381934673
So what would be a 10/10, a 5/10, and a 1/10?
>>
>>381935062
I'm not arguing im just curious as to how other people view that. If the sequel changes virtually nothing, do you give it the same score assuming the graphic are contemporary?
>>
>>381935114
I don't know. So far I've only determined two games I feel do that. But it doesn't matter because there are other factors that would go into considering a review score. I have no reason to bother with those, personally. So I'd have to think about it.

I can say that in my view no game can be 10/10 if it includes a difficulty selection menu.
>>
>>381934558
If a new player were choose between game X and game Y and have exactly the same experience then I would give them the same rating. I'd still mention that it's a copy somewhere in the review, as I think that information is relevant to the reader and may influence their purchasing decision, but if game Y is a clone that makes marginal improvements I think it should have a higher score.

If game X2 has the same gameplay as game X I would consider the gameplay equal to game X (I wouldn't penalize it), though the different story and levels would surely make a large different (levels are a huge part of gameplay). Also I'll try not to base my review too much on changes from X, I'd talk about how the story and levels complement the gameplay in X2 without factoring in expectations from the experience I had with game X.

Note that I don't actually write physical game reviews, this is just how I judge things internally.
>>
>>381935867
>I can say that in my view no game can be 10/10 if it includes a difficulty selection menu.
Interesting. While many games with a difficulty selection menu are half-assed attempts to widen the appeal, I think it's possible for difficulty settings can work together to improve the player's overall experience. If each difficulty setting is individually perfectly balanced and each setting adds further details to build on the experience and prepare the player for the next setting, I think the overall experience the player receives from playing the game would be superior to what could be achieved from a single-difficulty game.
>>
>>381935867
Okay I'm understanding you now

>>381936394
I see. I guess I differ from you because I think at some level you should consider any innovative mechanics, and maybe this should only factor in minimally. But if game X revolutionizes a genre, and X2 or Y copies it exactly, but has just as good level design/music, perhaps it should be a 9/10 or 8/10, because they were not as innovative as X
>>
>>381937071
Suppose someone comes by ten years later and wants to play a good game. While I think innovation and stuff are important to mention in a review, I think the game that offers the better experience will be more enjoyable.
>>
Bump.

I wish Video Games had enough merit to be accepted in academia so that serious consensus can guide and foster good game design.
>>
>>381939083
It'll get there, we'll be grey by then but once the Generation younger then us takes their place in college administration it'll be more and more excepted, especially as the medium evolves.

>>381938862
So instead of say, Baldurs Gate 2, if someone wanted a "true" RPG experience, which modern game would offer a better experience? only one that comes to mind would maybe be Fallout NV. And though I haven't played Divinity OS I understand that's pretty true to it's roots.
>>
>>381939083
Oh they have the merit. Off the top of my head I imagine what's happened is technology has outpaced the academy. It's not there yet, it's not where it needs to be to seriously analyze video games. Maybe in 10 years or so, when oldfag gamers get a little older. But don't expect formal academia to be the sphere in which analyses occur. It'll be random guys on YouTube, who spent the last decade studying their favorite game all on their own, after coming to terms that the industry was dead. And maybe through their collective work devs of the future will learn how the hell to do their jobs, and resurrect vidya back from the dead. But by then, the oldfags responsible for saving it will probably be deadfags...
>>
>>381939482
I don't know enough about WRPGs to give concrete examples, sorry.
To go back to the previous example, I might say
>Game X: 8/10, innovative mechanics that revolutionized a genre
>Game Y: 8.1/10, follows the formula established by game X with marginal refinements
I think most readers would choose to play game X based on that but I don't think innovation is an intrinsic quality of the game so it should be kept separate.
>>
>>381936914
>If each difficulty setting is individually perfectly balanced and each setting adds further details to build on the experience and prepare the player for the next setting, I think the overall experience the player receives from playing the game would be superior to what could be achieved from a single-difficulty game.
Well, variable difficulty as a system might seem more flexible than fixed, but I'm not sure that it is. Think about it, if a game has 3 difficulty levels then it also has to have an underlying framework in order to effect proportional, consistent, similar differences between them. Simply put it's rigid, because the ways in which difficulty can manifest are limited to manifestation which are translatable across all 3 settings, compatible with the system of settings.
>>
>>381942017
I think that makes it very difficult to balance properly but I don't think it's an inherent flaw.
>>
>>381943824
Well, maybe mine's a flawed argument. I don't know.

But that was just one of them. There's more. But I don't think I can go into them tonight.

I wonder, what you say Super Mario Bros would be better if it had easy, normal, hard modes?
>>
Word of mouth and wether it sounds like something I'd be interested in. If I herrd good thinks abourt a game that sounds cool I'll check it out, but if its high profile I wait a month of two to see if anyone still gives a shit, or wther it was just flavour of the month.

I just ignore indies completely though, they're always just mediocre.
>>
File: 1424575596392.jpg (34KB, 350x401px) Image search: [Google]
1424575596392.jpg
34KB, 350x401px
>>381944546
>ust ignore indies completely though, they're always just mediocre.
>>
File: IMG-20170626-WA0097.jpg (100KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170626-WA0097.jpg
100KB, 512x512px
>>
>>381931293
>over rationalizing feelings

Bitch I just play it, did I like it? Yes/No. You know when you like something inmediately, if I taste pizza I just like it and my brains tells me, its simple.
>>
>>381944367
I can't see a good way to integrate difficulty modes into super mario bros. But for a fighting game or a puzzle game I think difficulty settings are basically mandatory.
Your /vr/ thread is still up so rather than retreading the same discussion I'll just read the rest of that thread.
>>>/vr/4024303
>>
File: 1498221617587.jpg (9KB, 379x374px) Image search: [Google]
1498221617587.jpg
9KB, 379x374px
>waiting mediocre media to put a number on a game
>that's why i should i play it
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.