[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Game Ahead of its Time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 459
Thread images: 59

File: final-fantasy-xiii-cover-art-na.jpg (57KB, 590x682px) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-xiii-cover-art-na.jpg
57KB, 590x682px
Why must people shit on what they cannot understand?
>>
>>381905721
Is this game really just 50 hours of walking down a hallway fighting random encounters?
>>
>>381905721
>Shit gameplay
>Shit story
>Shit character

I understand shit when I see it.
>>
really great game that is underrated
>>
>>381905876
no
>>
I would say that it really depends on how you feel about gaming now a days. While I don't think it is a masterpiece. I feel one of the biggest problems people have with it was how linear it is. And everything now a days is expected to be open world. I feel as though if people were more open to linear games like Drakengard 3 and appreciate the other elements of the game there wouldn't have been such a big problem with the game. I could be wrong though. It just takes a while to get into it sometimes.

I always like variety in the types of games available so to me linear games can be refreshing. Everything doesn't have to be The Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild.

I understand I'm likely in the minority here though.
>>
>>381905876
That's like the average jrpg anyway so not sure why people single out ff13 to shit on for that reason. But a small correction, ff13 does not have random encounters.
>>
>>381907172
I feel as though it's mostly because Square Enix and the Final Fantasy series specifically tends to have a very polarized public image. The majority either love the games or rant and rave about how shit they are. And when I game has slighty more unappealing aspects that the general public can agree are unappealing then like with Final Fantasy XIII everyone pans it as shit.
>>
>>381906056
true. when i played it on my friends ps3 when it first came out i thought it was worse than a literal pile of dogshit and couldnt put more than 10 hrs on it.
few years down the line i played through the entire trilogy in one go on my pc and i thought it was decent. not great by any means but definitely not as bad as what people were saying.
ffxiii was decent
ffxiii-2 story was absolute clusterfuck though and i dont really like playing sera.
lightning return was fun but the ending was a power level shounen ending
>>
>>381905721
Game goes to shit when the Crystarium opens up. They should have just let the game be linear and have party members stay on their own class.
>>
>>381907172
Someone's first console was ps triple I see.
>>
>>381905721
Square Enix is trash. Both were better before the merger.

That said; Final Fantasy XIII is hardly the worst game they've put out, especially when you consider the sequels exist. By XIII-3 it was par-for-the-course in terms of JRPG quality. Wasn't too spectacular, but it wasn't as god awful as extremists made it seem.

If you want the worst kind of games from Square, check out all the repurposed Eidos titles and Kingdom Hearts. THAT's some shit.
>>
>>381906046

The gameplay was good, the combat system was amazing, the soundtrack was fantastic, the story was okay, the characters were interesting. The Game was a solid 8/10.
>>
>>381907932
you can finish the story by staying in their own class anyway. those extra classes are more for going the extra and doing the missions
>>
>>381905876

No. It's walking in a hallway fighting fixed encounters for 20 hours, then fighting some of the easier monsters roaming in an open field for 3 hours and if you at that point decide to just finish the game meaning entering the cave towards Taejin's Tower and never looking back., you'll fight fixed encounters for 15½ hours and then the game ends after which you can continue playing the game for another 80 hours to finish the post-game, if you somehow didn't turn the game off the first chance you got and started the better sequels.
>>
>>381908206
What makes you say Kingdom Hearts was trash? Granted I haven't played the game in a good ten years. But I thought the game was solid. Perhaps I should replay it sometime soon though.

Each little world got its own miniature story which was woven into a larger narrative. And eventually in the second one the main story became even more of an important aspect of the game. So I would say the worlds were better woven in over time (I assume at least.) I've played both but I can't remember.

Have you played them recently?
>>
>>381908263
i agree with everything except the characters. hope is so fucking annoying although hes good in 13-2 and lightning returns. vanille is shit as well.
>>
This fucking board has drowned itself in contrarian opinions, holy shit. No, combat wasn't amazing, it was filled with RNG and repetitive stunlock strategies, with the HIGHEST FUCKING ACHIEVEMENT in the game being 5-starring a bunch of absolutely random fights. What is this, mobage, why the fuck would I need pointless ratings? Story wasn't fine, it drowned in cutscenes that didn't show or tell anything and focused on bickering and pretty visuals. Visuals themself were muddled as fuck, absolutely destroyed by the overabundance of pointless decoration and detail, there wasn't a single simple clear-cut design in the whole game. The story wasn't there, it was 40 hours of prologue and an abrupt ending. The story should have started on Gran Pulse and continued from there. Characters were all whiny bitches, and not good interesting whiny bitches, they refused to cooperate with each other in a manner that actively hurt every party for no reason other than being cunts. Fang was a fucking non-character thrown in there just for a sudden shit twist of her being Ragnarok, which is so fucking retarded I can't help but fume at the mouth because of it. There was no arc to any of the characters except Hope, whose "arc" was 'lol i dont hate snow anymore'. Heroes have spent the last part of the game talking about how they need to avoid killing the villain. Then, they killed him, doing exactly what he wanted them to do. And it was not high risk/high reward a gamble, they didn't have a plan B. It was just sheer stupidity. Rich and interesting lore was thrown into hastily written data-logs just for fun, because there was no time to create a lived-in world, something every FF had since fucking I. And beyond battling there was no gameplay. There was no exploration, another staple of the series. It was a hollow shell of a game and /v/ liking it is not a good sign at all. It's a sign of fucking end times.
>>
>>381908956
>Have you played them recently?
Yep. It's combat is a very bare-bones system wrapped around the world's worst fanfic.

Even KH fans can't seem to keep up with this clusterfuck.
>>
>>381909602
>bare-bones combat
let me guess, normal with grinding
>>
Finished the game an hour ago after 3 years on hiatus. Had a good time with it, even after having to relearn the game. Not too sure what to do now.
>>
>>381905721
You don't need the validation of others to enjoy this game. I loved playing the trilogy, and want to replay all 3 games someday soon.
My favorite moment in this game was spending 30+ minutes on a single challenge encounter boss, being completely engaged with the combat system the entire time or else I'd die. Only after I beat that encounter after many attempts did I realize I could've destroyed the boss much easier by leveling up the crystarium even more by beating the game.
FF13 is a good time.
>>
>>381909693
>Grinding
Not even. It's just a chore slapping heartless and nobodies around.
>>
>>381906046
>Shit gameplay
debatable

>Shit story
false, it's not the best, but still pretty god.

>Shit character
100% false. Actually the characters in this game are possibly the best in the series and the true saving grace of the game.
>>
>>381909865

Take a break with another game and then play the sequels. You've paid your dues now.
>>
>>381909505
I mean there are all different types of people. That's the beauty of gaming. And things will stand out to people more and they will enjoy those aspects more than others. And in that same vein those same aspects can make someone hate a game.

That's the beauty of gaming. Lot's of people think Hyperdimension is shit. But if you enjoy the aspects it's being sold on (quirky antics, silly characters, basically the character interaction) then chances are you will enjoy the game.

If this isn't something you enjoy and you are tired of seeing this sort of thing. Then you'll probably think it's a cancer of the industry.

People can like panned games without being contrarian the same way people can like universally praised games without bandwagonning.

It's all chill my dude. <3
>>
Why do people think posting "xyz is shit" without any justification is a contribution to the board?
>>
>>381906712
>I feel one of the biggest problems people have with it was how linear it is. And everything now a days is expected to be open world.

The problem is jrpgs are already pretty damn linear and require very little input from players during battle. XIII pretty much distilled the formula down to traversing a literal corridor and combat being nothing more than the game choosing what you can do and letting you just watch flashy animations.
>>
>>381905721
Because they were so mind-broken by the fact that the game was a hallway, that they completely overlooked any other good thing the game had to offer in terms of setting, plot, themes and character development.
>>
>>381910235
>combat being nothing more than the game choosing what you can do
did you play the game
>>
File: armpit.jpg (40KB, 388x360px) Image search: [Google]
armpit.jpg
40KB, 388x360px
>>381905721
I like some elements of it but it's overall a very flawed game.

Pros:
>some elements of the battle system (paradigm shifting, the difficulty, certain bosses like Barthandelus)
>beautiful environments
>soundtrack
>Sazh
>characters get a fair amount of development (for better or worse)
>the world/lore

Cons:
>way too restrictive/linear in nearly every regard
>when the game does finally open up it's only for a specific area and mostly involves running around killing monsters over and over
>nonsensical character motivations
>mostly lackluster villains (Jihl Nabaat is ALMOST amazing but gets anticlimactically killed off)
>absolutely retarded ending
>too much focus on the main cast's melodrama and not enough focus on the side characters and world
>some of the writing/dialogue is laughably bad and shoved in your face(especially when it comes to anything relating to themes)
>poor gameplay variety, very few distractions
>worthless poorly designed summons

Not the worst game ever made and I did enjoy it but it's very easy to see why it has the reception it does. FFXIII-2 is almost a straight upgrade, though I hated its DLC scheme (PC didn't have to deal with that bullshit thankfully).
>>
>>381910235
So what would be a non- linear story game. Because for most story games I would think they would have to be somewhat linear? (To be fair I don't really play any non-JRPGs). So maybe it's because it's all I've ever known that they don't seem exceptionally linear.

Drakengard 3 and Final Fantasy XIII are exceptionally linear but I'm fine with that (Drakengard 3 even just has stages you go through to beat). So that's why I consider these linear and say Hyperdimension Neptunia or Gestalt non-linear. (by my standards)
>>
>>381905721
Can you give indepth reasoning for this? I've never played the 13 trilogy and was thinking about checking it out once I'm done 15 and eventually the remaster of 12 when it comes out.
>>
>>381910638
Not him, but I would usually find myself using auto-battle only while controlling a Sentinel. Almost never outside of that.
>>381910891
Only part of the ending I found odd was the party reverting from Ci'eths back to l'cie. Also, being decrystalized at the end. I'll give you some of the dialogue, though. Lightning straight up lectured Orphan towards the end.
>>
>>381910210
Is posting "xyz is good" without any justification better somehow?
>>
>>381911198
no, but nobody does that
>>
>>381910638
Did you?
>>
What are you talking about? The characters sucked and the story was a convulsed mess that led nowhere
>>
>>381910934
It isn't just that FFXIII is linear overall, that applies to a lot of JRPGs. It's that it's STIFLINGLY linear and restrictive, and has very few distractions. Even FFX had blitzball, and the occasional optional segment here and there. FFXIII took streamlining to an absolute extreme, I think someone at SE (maybe Wada) said the inspiration came from Call of Duty's single-player levels.
>>
File: ffxiiigarbage.jpg (71KB, 300x284px) Image search: [Google]
ffxiiigarbage.jpg
71KB, 300x284px
>>381908263
Nope that game is straight up bottom shit tier, you shill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6-pGfWB__0
>>
I enjoyed it a little upon release but enjoy it more now.

It's really not that bad of a game. Not bad but not great either. I will probably pick up the trilogy on pc. I never finished lightning returns.
>>
>>381911246
>>381908263
>>
>>381911331
Oh hey, this guy again.
>>
>>381911389
at least he said what he liked about it
>>
>>381911129
The big problem I have with the ending is that the party is just making it all up as they go along. They had no idea what the fuck they were doing, they just killed Orphan because they were blatantly manipulated into doing it by Barthandelus. The main villain's plan would have gone PERFECTLY if not for the last minute asspull with Vanille and Fang fusing into Ragnarok.
>>
How is XIII-2 and LR on pc? Thinking of getting them on steam because of the sale.
>>
>>381909865
Look forward to XIII-2.
Bit of a visual downgrade, and the story gets pretty messy before it clears itself up during the last few hours, but the combat and exploration are generally better.
Fuck the sidequest which requires you to 100% fill in every map, though. Academia 400AF was a nightmare to do.
>>
>>381905721
Why did people start defending this game when it came out on pc? I played 13-1 anf 13-2 and hated them so much I didn't bother with the 3rd.
>>
>>381911602
You're not wrong. I had trouble making complete sense of it myself(my long break from the game didn't help). That part about acquiring new focuses seemed too convenient, but it's the only thing that makes some kind of sense. Only problem is, there's no previous documentation, explanation, or demonstration of l'cie receiving new focuses.

>>381911714
I didn't mind the linearity of XIII at all, really. I have XIII-2 on the way, so I hope to enjoy it when it arrives. I also hope it doesn't shit on the story. Having seen the ending of XIII, I'm wondering where everyone went and why I'm playing as Serah. I'll find out soon.

As far as combat is concerned, I rather like the paradigm system. I don't really have any issues with it, so if XIII-2 makes it better, good.
>>381911938
I don't know, I have it on PS3.
>>
>>381911938
Any bad game become good once it's on PC. Alternatively any good game is bad once it stop being exclusive
>>
>>381905721
>20 hours tutorial stuck with the same character
>old turnbased combat
>not open world and fukin linear
>nothing to explore
>Not enough sidequest
"""""""""""""""""ahead""""""""""""" of its time
>>
>>381912708
>stuck with the same character

Hmmmm.
>>
>>381912096
Me too, played them on ps3 and the gameplay was just trash.
>>
>>381905721
XIII is garbage.

Why? Picture related. No, I'm not a racist. This is shit fucking character design.
>>
Sometimes I wish I could see lightning step on a baby bird while barefoot.
>>
>>381913287
Still the best character of the bunch.
>>
>>381913287
That's funny. People here usually praise Saz'h as the only good character. I still don't understand that appraisal.
>>
File: Fang.gif (1MB, 245x350px) Image search: [Google]
Fang.gif
1MB, 245x350px
>>381913341
Nope.
>>
File: 1498290938746.jpg (52KB, 716x724px) Image search: [Google]
1498290938746.jpg
52KB, 716x724px
>>381905876
no, that would be FFX you are thinking of
>>
>>381912096
XIII-2 has a few more story branches, and an area selection mechanic intruduced in the first couple of hours. I didn't mind the linearity of XIII either, but I think the extra freedom and questing is a good thing.

> I also hope it doesn't shit on the story. Having seen the ending of XIII, I'm wondering where everyone went and why I'm playing as Serah.
XIII-2 basically plays off of the ending of XIII. In the original, the ending was a literal deus ex machina (Etro's intervention), and this game goes into a little bit of detail about that, as well as the consequences.
Combat is generally better, but there's one mechanic which could be a little divisive, which is how the third party member works. It's basically Pokemon, in that you have a chance of capturing any monster you beat, and can slot them in. They have a fixed class, but you can assign them to individual paradigms.

>>381912708
So you just didn't play the game, then.
>>
>>381913449
:o

;)
>>
>>381905721
>Ahead of time
No, it's a decent game that got away from a fuck ton of what FF12 failed to do combat, gameplay and character wise.

>>381905876
>>381906046
>>381907932
>>381908206
>>381909505
>>381910352
>>381910891
>>381912225
>>381912708

Nope, it'd decent

>>381911331
>Rageaholic
>looks like a wannabe rock star
>Nostalgic like AlphaOmegaSin

Oh yeah, that's TOTALLY a legit argument right there. The dude is biased as all fuck because he's clearly thinking of the past and his childhood and NOT what is actually good or bad.
>>
>>381906712
I hate this game and I like linear games. I don't like it when the game rubs LOL LOOK YOURE IN A TUNNEL LMAO AND THESE ENCOUNTERS PLAY OUT THE EXACT SAME EVERYTIME LOL in my face, like FFXIII does. It feels like I have no fucking input on what happens in the game and it could just be a one fuckhuge long gauntlet instead of "letting" me walk around myself. If the game would've just given me a way to initiate fights with surprise attack without using items, using the system that's already in place but cockblocks you 95% of the time, I would've actually had fun with it.

Also doesn't help that the main character is not interesting and the story is all about how mysterious and amazing and mary sue she is. Also doesn't help that the translation is much too anime for the current me.
>>
>>381913536
What a masterful argument, dude. You're pretending to be retarded, which is as bad as being retarded.
>>
>>381913638
It is a much better argument than you chucklfucks have been giving. the actual retarded ones that is.
>>
>tons of legitimate complaints
>the people defending the game literally only go "nuh uh, it's good"
never played it but it sounds like it's actually shit and you're playing the contrarian op
>>
>>381913549
but every single FF game is linear as fuck

why'd you even play the series if you don't like that
>>
>>381913853
XV wasn't, in fact it's open world.
>>
>>381913741
Yeeeah, no, how about you actually say anything about the game without trying to end the convo with "lolusostupid". After all, you'll easily destroy us, o, smart one.
>>381913853
They are not corridors, idiot. There are side things and interesting content and fucking cities, a world feels like a world. XIII has none of that. What a joke of an argument.
>>
File: 611352-ffx-2.jpg (26KB, 353x500px) Image search: [Google]
611352-ffx-2.jpg
26KB, 353x500px
>>381914015
>They are not corridors, idiot.
Hmmm.....
>>
>>381913943
It really tries to look like it, but fact of the matter is that everything is the same as normal. They even use blockers to keep you from entering parts of the map before certain plot events, just like the old SNES FFs.
>>381914015
Aha, but the corridors were not actually a departure from form in any way. With or without them, you were still playing a linear game.
>>
>>381913378
I don't get that. Dude's a meme. Literal joke character.
>>
>>381914015
It does.

FF13 got away from all the stuff that made FF12 bad like the gameplay, combat and characters.

Gameplay was similar to FF10, combat had a fuck ton more going on with it than FF12 and was one of the stronger systems and the characters were widely much more memorable than what Ff12 did.

FF12 only did story better, but that's not enough to warrant FF13 as 'shit' or FF12 as 'better'. You PLAY a video game, not watch it or read it.

FF13 is a decent game with an okay story, mostly good characters, good combat and familiar gameplay. Plus the graphical design is superior too given the actual COLOR in the graphics which haven't been a positive since FF9.
>>
>>381905721
Because lightning looks like a heroin addict.
>>
File: 1467276158913.jpg (43KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
1467276158913.jpg
43KB, 500x336px
>>381913536
>Biased
Coming from a weeaboo who insists that a shitty game like FFXIII is good.
>>
>>381914113
Oh, yeah, how about 2, which was open world in fucking 1987. Or 5, which has 3 sprawling maps. Or 6 with world of chaos. Fuck right off with that shit, even you know you're baiting.
>>381914219
Oh, yeah, moving goalposts. "uuuh, it was always linear, so fuck exploration, corridors are a-ok". You're a git and you know it.
>>
>>381914358
>You PLAY a video game, not watch it or read it.

That's funny considering the data logs in XIII.
>>
>>381905721
The sequels weren't needed at all
>>
>>381914326
He's not a joke character, but he does remain in the background for most of the game.
>>
>>381914465
I'm just asking: What fucking exploration? Every single game held your fucking hand from one scripted encounter to the next, you're apparently just too dense to realise this.
>>
>>381914326
>>381914531
The game couldn't decide if it wanted him to be the joke character or the grounded Everyman character.
>>
>>381914453
It is. Read here >>381914358

>>381914468
The data logs are there if you have a question about something. It's not a visual novel dude. You don't HAVE to read it if you don't want to.
>>
>>381914641
>You don't HAVE to read it if you don't want to.
They're required for understanding of the story, at least VIII was so retarded the they didn't even bother acting like people would care about the story.
>>
>>381913536
While I would say that FFXIII's combat is generally more fun than XII's, it is a downgrade in some ways. Instead of having optional AI (gambits) it's forced on you, you can't customize the AI at all, and you can't swap your party leader (which XIII-2 thankfully fixed).
>>
>>381914731
>They're required for understanding of the story
Nah, not required. They do provide background information, though. Things like The Purge and the fal'cies' individual purpose weren't all explained in full detail. Well, I think Carbuncle was, but I'm not sure about the rest.
>>
>>381914593
I'm just asking: where's your fucking brain? Because none of them were holding your hand. You were given information about the world and proceeded to your next target. It was not a corridor with a shining marker leading you in the already obvious direction and it won't be, however many times you try to pretend it was. By your broad definition of handholding any game is a linear corridor, simply because every interaction is in some way scripted. That's not how it works, but whatever rocks your boat.
>>
>>381905721
Why must those that eat shit do so in front of me?
>>
File: 1496268495516.png (3MB, 957x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1496268495516.png
3MB, 957x1080px
>>381905721
Its not the worst game ever or anyth8ng, its just very boring and shallow, for a jrpg. You wouldnt even need to change much to get me to like it. Just make the game like Gran Pulse from the start would do a lot. Also, let me have three characters instead of constantly forcing only two that i dont even get to choose.
>>
>>381914946
Etro, Bhunivelze, Mwynn are names that are NEVER mentioned in the entirety of XIII's exposition and these are all key figures to understanding the lore that is essential to the story.
The ending makes no sense unless you know the backstory of the three figures I just mentioned, which is a pretty big flaw. The game could've done a much better job with its story considering the streamlined level design was done to enhance the narrative like in X.
>>
File: 18j0tuklntgz8jpg.jpg (38KB, 800x421px) Image search: [Google]
18j0tuklntgz8jpg.jpg
38KB, 800x421px
>>381914641
>Gameplay was similar to FF10
In FFX you could actually controll all characters in your party. In FFX there was no stupid pointless system like paradigm.
>You PLAY a video game, not watch it or read it.
Watch, you mean the boring long cutscenes in FFXIII? Or the story of FFXIII that you could READ in FFXIII-2?!
>mostly good characters
Which good characters?! The butch futch dyke, the faggot with the beanie, the nigger, the mommas boy cry baby, the cunt with the annyoing voice or the other dyke?

Your opinion does NOT make a shitty game good.
>>
>>381913853
>but every single FF game is linear as fuck
Yes, I am aware of that. They however mask it quite well, where FFXIII really just spells it out for you. Which one do you prefer? Same thing with the non-random encounters that you have no goddamn input on. The game just boldly states "these are the enemies and this is the order you will fight them in, quit trying to do anything else". Does it feel like that in other FF games?
Do you think you're some sage, enlighting plebs with the amazing knowledge that JRPGs are in fact linear? Everyone knew that 15 years ago. You're not special, dipshit.
>>
>>381915213
>stupid pointless system like paradigm
but it was objectively good gameplay, just because it wasn't your cup of tea doesn't mean it was pointless.

FF has always been about experimenting and changing up the formula, literally go fuck yourself you turn based shitter
>>
>>381915213
>Can refresh your ATB completely with a well timed shift
>Can cancel strings prematurely to keep an enemy in a launch state
>Buffs and debuffs actually matter
>Can queue spells in one Paradigm and then shift before the string is executed to get a different effect
The fact that the average FF fan was too casual for the system is sad, although it would explain why the tutorial takes so long.
>>
>>381915209
Don't they appear in the sequels?
>>
>>381915584
Yes but they aren't even fucking mentioned in the first game which is a massive flaw in the narrative, it's like if Yu Yevon was never mentioned and only hinted at in X. They are fundamental to the narrative but the game glosses over them and relegates them to an optional datalog.
>>
File: final-fantasy-13-battle.jpg (10KB, 253x43px) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-13-battle.jpg
10KB, 253x43px
>>381905721
A game with no gameplay, I think you're right.
Truly ahead of its time.
>>
File: Lightning Returns Shitty Game.jpg (98KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Lightning Returns Shitty Game.jpg
98KB, 640x360px
>>381915426
>but it was objectively good gameplay
Paradigm system determines if you survive the next attack of your enemy or die in a one hit. Nothing tells you what the opponent's next move will be, so your chances of survival are based on pure luck.
>literally go fuck yourself you turn based shitter
At least turn based gave the player full control of the whole the party and made strategic turns possible while paradigm is useless crap that doesn't make any sense. Also FFXIII was turn based too, you dumb weeaboo faggot.
>>
>>381915478
Here (you) dumb fag >>381915923
>>
I liked it when it released, and I still like it. Is XIII perfect? Not in the slightest. But I like how they changed so much of the FF formula, and I'm in love with the general aesthetic of the game/world/costumes/music/etc. I also liked the characters, surprisingly.
>>
>>381915209
In type 0 the lore isn't even mentioned in datalogs
>>
>>381905721
One of the worst games I've ever played, not counting joke games and shitty flash games on Newgrounds by 12 year olds.
>>
>>381916082
The enemy's next attack appears in words above their head before they use it, unless you're illiterate then it's not a problem. The real problem here is you being too casual.
>>
>>381916404
Given how Tabata handled XV's story this isn't surprising.
>>
Lightning is fucking hot. Might as well just get this off Steam to snap some screenshots of her.
>>
File: SFW Lightning.webm (783KB, 412x282px) Image search: [Google]
SFW Lightning.webm
783KB, 412x282px
>>381916812
>>
File: Vile Peaks.jpg (921KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Vile Peaks.jpg
921KB, 3840x2160px
Right, time to weed out the filthy casuals and the faggots who've never even played this game
Riddle me this
Which of Lightning's weapons do you need to equip and which accessories do you need to pair them with in order to gain the +ATB% synthesized ability?
>>
File: FFXIII fanboy does not compute.jpg (6KB, 301x168px) Image search: [Google]
FFXIII fanboy does not compute.jpg
6KB, 301x168px
>>381916438
>Casual
Hurr durr shift your paradigm's every now and then...
>Deep gameplay
FFXIII is the worst kind of casual crap with no depth, no good gamplay, no good nothing.
That game is crap and always will be.
Stay mad, weeb faggot!
>>
>>381916183
>I liked the game because I liked it and it's good because I liked it
Fuck you, retard.
>>
>>381915209
>The ending makes no sense unless you know the backstory of the three figures I just mentioned
Having not read much on those three, I think I understood the ending to a good extent. More exposition on Pulse/Gran Pulse would have been nice. I'll have to find out for myself how much the sequels clear things up.
>>381917187
That's an awfully specific question.
>>381915923
ATB =/= turn based.
>>
>>381916951
>>
>>381917296
>Stop liking what I don't like.
I never claimed the game was objectively good, or that the criticism is undeserved. I simply enjoyed the game despite what others considered flaws.
>>
>>381917187
>time to weed out the filthy casuals and the faggots who've never even read the strategy guide
ftfy
>>
>>381917239
There's a lot of depth to it as already explained here >>381915478.

This is how a casual like you plays the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVGInge9_Zs

This is how a patrician plays the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5kH1ID9qEI

The fact that you can't explain to me what's going on in the second video is proof enough that you were bad.
>>
>>381917361
>ATB
You mean that bar that fills itself up and when it's full you can give your party members commands?
Majority of Final Fantasy games had that way before Final Shitfest 13.
>>
>>381917501
I don't even dislike XIII, but your comment essentially boils down to, "Yeah, I like this and it's a good game, because I like it." It's trite, and you come off as a stupid kid who can't articulate himself.
>>
>>381917680
Yes, I'm aware. That's not the point.
>>381917729
>it's a good game, because I like it
That was literally never said.
>>
>>381917361
How did the party uncrystalize at the end and how did their Focuses change?
>>
>>381917548
Thanks for proving my point, the paradigm shift system sucks.
>>
From what ive seen the game plays itself
Its extremely linear
Stupid and convoluted plot
With characters constantly repeating a lot of shit
>>
Can someone explain to me why the ending of lightening returns is so hated?
>>
>>381917729
Again, never claimed it was good. My points were
>Liked the change to the FF system (Paradigms, battle system in general, etc.)
>Liked the aesthetic and visual design choices, and how they affected the music, the world, and the weapon/character designs
>Liked the characters. I enjoyed most of the character arcs and their personalities

I'm not sure how in-depth you want a simple post.
>>
>>381918001
>lightning kills god
>lightning gets new godlike powers, essentially becoming a god
>uses the power of friendship to kill the god
>lightning creates a planet that suspiciously looks like earth
>the big bang happens
>very last cutscene is lightning stepping off a train in France
I wish I was making this up.
>>
>>381917959
>From what ive seen the game plays itself
You're thinking of XII.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGKwY84tvQY
>>
I'm gonna tell yah, I hated 13. It's pacing was terrible thanks to the lack of exposition early in the game. Characters were really unlikable, you ever acted like them in real life people would hate your guts. None the less I can understand why there are people who like it, but still it was bad writing. You could never convince me other wise. Compatible system was not good, being on auto pilot was not enjoyable in the slightest, but I hear that 13 3 actually fixes this problem. How ever the story and narrative still is bad imo.
>>
>>381917838
That's was the part I didn't understand. I can only guess that one of the gods that created the fal'cie had something to do with it. I know Anima made the party members into l'cie, but Anima wasn't present in Orphan, so it's not likely it had a role in that.

>Fal'cie smoke and mirrors
Doesn't seem so likely, especially since Orphan wasn't expecting them to come back.
>>
>>381905721
What can be said, OP? The game is clearly the most complex game in the series, and that's too much for some people. I've yet to see an example of a game in the series being more multi-layered than this one.
>>
>>381918162
Not him, but XIII's paradigm system and auto-battle plays itself more than XII's gambit system.
>>
File: L8.jpg (940KB, 1000x1400px) Image search: [Google]
L8.jpg
940KB, 1000x1400px
>>381917409
If the literally perfect goddess is a man, I don't want to know what a woman is
>>
>>381918470
That video literally shows the game's super boss being beaten with zero input from the player, it's the only game that can be described as playing itself.
>>
>>381918460
You're genuinely retarded if you think FFXIII is complex in any way.
>>
>>381918001
>a character everyone fucking hates but is the director's waifu kills god and becomes real in france
What isn't absolutely terrible about that ending?
>>
>>381918483
No tits, no ass, the body of a 14 year old boy
>>
>>381915426
>but it was objectively good gameplay
No it wasn't. There was barely a game there to play.
>>
I unironically like the paradigm battle system, while it makes the characters feel samey it also lets fights fell fluid assuming you're not so overgrinded and kill everything with triple ravagers in half a second.
>>
>>381905721
>>
>>381918710
Lightning is the most popular FF character in Japan which is the only audience that matters.
>>
File: 1488246329645.gif (2MB, 390x277px) Image search: [Google]
1488246329645.gif
2MB, 390x277px
>>381917507
>reading the strategy of a game you've never played nor will ever play
That, motherfucker, is weapons-grade autism
>>
FFXIII was a step back not ahead of its time at all. It's moving forward with FFXV again now.
>>
File: 1420323349571.jpg (85KB, 1024x770px) Image search: [Google]
1420323349571.jpg
85KB, 1024x770px
>>381918732
>Shit Taste: The Post
>>
>>381918001
The entire game is a piece of shit where the plot happens in literally the first and final hours of the game and the rest is a collection of boring short stories.

Lightning is even duller than she already was and the ending is literally a repeat of the first game's ending, except on a larger scale.
Also, you make three (3) fucking games and you cut off the ending immediately after the climax instead of providing proper closure?

Seriously, the game is a piece of shit. Far and beyond the worst of the tree and arguably the only one not worth playing. Even the first two have some redeemable qualities.
>>
>>381918710
>>381918850
Even if the XIII games were shit, I unironically love Lighting.
>>
>>381918285
>Characters were really unlikable, you ever acted like them in real life people would hate your guts.
No? Lightning has a great personality, and her snarky remarks (especially in LR), are hilarious.
>>
>>381918850
Her lower body looks like someone's behind.
>>
>>381918850
I wouldn't say that, but it's obvious that the JRPG made by the Japanese company and distributed in Japan has to feel like it's a Japanese oriented game. Otherwise, the series is going to devolve into just every western RPG ever.

And we all know how much Todd Howard and Bethesda loves shoving Skyrim into everything.
>>
>>381918798
I didn't like that it basically boiled the game down into six different options while boosting the enemy's hp to ridiculous levels. Switching between the same handful of paradigms for ages for 20+ minutes in some fights was shit.
>>
>>381918923
XV was one of the worst games I had ever played, the minute I saw the first invisible wall and quest marker I knew it was going to be bad but it managed to subvert my expectations by being even worse than I imagined.
>>
>>381918923
XIII was 5 steps back, XV was 20 steps back.
>>
File: Cloud's Brother.jpg (99KB, 960x1287px) Image search: [Google]
Cloud's Brother.jpg
99KB, 960x1287px
>>381918963
Nah, i just like girls.
You can stay homo for all i care...
>>
>>381919089
>20+ minutes
If any fight in XIII took you more than five minutes you were insanely bad at the game and probably weren't using buffs and debuffs.
>>
>>381919249
t. Toriyama.
>>
Yaag Rosch is literally the worst Final Fantasy name I've ever heard.
>>
File: Gatekeeper-Tabata.jpg (205KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Gatekeeper-Tabata.jpg
205KB, 960x720px
>>381919301
t. Tabata
>>
>open world game is now somehow the most linear game ever
Anyone claiming this game is linear has not played it desu
>>
When I first played XIII I enjoyed it but the sequels are fucking terrible and looking back on XIII itself it really was a shitty game
>>
>>381919023
>Lightning has a great personality
>Lesbian with anger management issues
>great personality
>>
>>381919449
Have you played it? Even in Chapter 11 Gran Pulse, the "open world" is a gigantic field followed by more hallways. Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>381919449
>Anyone claiming this game is good has not played it desu
>>
>>381919547
if it was a guy he'd be a snarky ass hole. still not a good personality.
>>
>>381919624
I remember that one area, with the one village.
>>
>>381919547
>>381919651
You guys are wrong. Back in college, I was a snarky asshole and people loved me. I'm male.
>>
>>381919624
You're wrong.
>>381919643
Never said the game was good
>>
>>381905721
Mechanically XIII wasn't even the most intricate in it's systems... Are you high? It had some of the most simplistic combat in the whole series and still managed to have almost no exploration.
>>
File: Fang riding Bahamut.jpg (3MB, 4096x4096px) Image search: [Google]
Fang riding Bahamut.jpg
3MB, 4096x4096px
>>381919547
>Lesbian with anger management issues
That's Fang
>>
>>381919768
sure you were
>>
>>381919749
Yeah, so it's pretty fucking evident that you have not played the game, then. The village area is called Oerba, and even then that's hardly "open world." Eat shit, faggot, and don't claim we don't know what we're talking.
>>
>>381918632
And yet it's more complex than any other ones. What other game in the series has each elemental spell be used in a different manner, even within its own element.
>>
File: L9.jpg (65KB, 600x474px) Image search: [Google]
L9.jpg
65KB, 600x474px
>>381919294
Fine
Then I can have her all to myself
>>
>>381919895
wow way to get so ass pained by a simple observation
>>
>>381919434
>>
>>381919547
>>Lesbian with anger management issues
Fang.

Lightning was a shotacon with anger management issues
>>
>>381919871
I was, anon. You can still be likable and a snarky asshole.
>>
File: The purest form of love 3.jpg (1MB, 1260x1470px) Image search: [Google]
The purest form of love 3.jpg
1MB, 1260x1470px
>>381920024
>Lightning was a shotacon
You're goddamn right she was
>>
>>381919812
Buffs and debuffs being worthwhile alone make it more involved than any other FF.
>>
>>381920070
Yeah sure
>>
>>381919989
>Japanese people having fun
>not being sticks in the mud or super polite
>See!!! Women are around them so they must be incompetent

Dude, I'm not even the guy arguing with you and this is still a weak ass argument.
>>
>>381920154
Tell me why Lightning has "anger management issues." Pro tip: she doesn't.

You're just a stupid autist who can't read people.
>>
>>381911714
>>381912096
>>381909865
13-2 is shit, literally a fucking pokemon game with shit story telling, ugly visuals and takes all the shit parts of 13 and makes them worse, this is coming from someone who actually enjoyed 13. Serah is a shit character.
>>
>>381905876
That's how I remember it, but I still liked it
>>
>>381920275
punching snow was a sign
blaming snow for shit out of his control is a sign
wondering off by herself is sign. You can make all the excuses all you want anon, she was a cunt.
>>
>>381920024
No, that's the fandom's dumb interjection.

>Try to be an overprotective mother to Serah but realizes that by doing so she is pushing Serah into Snow's arms for desperate comfort.

>Teach Hope Estiem how to fend for himself and become more independent. Eventually opening up to the child and treating him like her own son

>Forgive Snow for what he had done and even support his wishful (though childish) thinking back in the Vestiege and Grand Pulse.

>learn to become a leader in the group instead of a follower (like explained in that Flashback she had about her conversation with her commanding officer)

>Learns to work together with other people when Fang tells her to calm down in Palumpolum.
>>
>>381920340
>Serah is a shit character.
Nice bait.
>>
>>381918426
The party also mentioned something about a new vision, like the one they saw when they first became l'cie, so something had to have changed their roles. Again, I can only guess that the creator of the fal'cie had a hand in it. What I don't know was what the intention of the creator/maker/whatever was. Maybe Ragnarok was supposed to bridge the gap between Gran Pulse and Cocoon. I don't know.

>>381920340
I hope it's not as bad as you say, because I already have it on the way.
>>
>>381920179
>>
>>381909865
Kind of in the same situation has you
Got the game 5 years ago, and I just play it like once every year and put it down again. I'm shit at this game but I want to finish it for the sake of finishing it
I'm at the second fight against Barthandelus, how close am I to the end ? I want to play it and finish it for good
>>
>end of the trilogy
>Lightning goes to France
>gets promptly raped by refugees and mowed down by a truck of peace

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>381920447
Fuck you, I hope you drown. The ONLY reason why you like Serah is because she's attractive. Remove that, and you have the most uninteresting, blandest character in the entire FF series. She's on the same level of Lunafreya, but arguably worse.

>>381920401
Oh, right. I was thinking of Lightning in LR, where she becomes more snarky, emotionless, and less violent.
>>
>>381920510
>I'm at the second fight against Barthandelus
Damn, dude. I left off at the last hour of the game. You're more than halfway done. The second fight is in Oerba, right?
>>
>>381920553
Truly ahead of its time.
>>
>>381920486
So he has a presentation? Dude, have you SEEN Hideki Kamiya's love for Bayonetta?

https://www.destructoid.com/bayonetta-is-hideki-kamiya-s-ideal-woman--148356.phtml

He says "Bayonetta is considered the ideal woman" in his mind.
>>
>>381918426
>I know Anima made the party members into l'cie

No it wasn't. That was Pulse. Anima, like all Pulse fal'Cie can select targets to be branded, but Pulse is the one who brands them.

Not that you would know if you hadn't read the Ultimania.
Who needs storytelling in the actual game, lol!

As for who released them from Focus and Crystal, that's a huge plot point in XIII-2.
>>
>>381920665
both are shit so yeah.
>>
>>381917548
>Having fucking blitz at that point
>blitz is overpowered as fuck
>Being overlevelled to fuck

HURR SO DEEP GAME
>>
File: Serah's boobs in the rain.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Serah's boobs in the rain.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>381920447
>>
>>381920784
>that's a huge plot point in XIII-2.
That should be in XIII, how did they get a new Focus at the end with Orphan anyways?
>>
I was so happy when Serah died at the end of XIII-2. Fuck her, and fuck all the fanboys.

Caius is best boy.
>>
>>381920784
>Pulse is the one who brands them.
I see. So what, Pulse changed his mind?
>>
>>381920687
Yeah it's in Oerba, I got fucked by Barthandelus because I didn't grind enough, so I wanted to do a break and grind the next day, but I didn't touch the game ever since
>>
it's weak for a FF game on many levels
combat is probably the high point of the game
characters are almost all entirely unlikable
story is really stupid
linear as fuck, like ffx, fucking awful
>>
>>381920447
>Serahs a good character because she has tits

Fuck off homo
>>
>>381920983
Pulse is not the one who unbranded them.
>>
>>381921034
>linear as fuck, like ffx, fucking awful
Don't even compare it to FFX. It's worse than that. No minigames, no towns, no interesting characters to talk to, and a cohesive game world is nonexistent. Even the fucking AMUSEMENT PART, the city of dreams or whatever, had NOTHING to do. Fucking NOTHING
>>
>>381920879
Not that guy but it was a loop hole.

Their focus was to "Summon Ragnorok and Kill Orphan". The Fal'cie wanted them to kill Orphan WITH Ragnorok. Their Focus never said anything about killing Orphan with Ragnorok.

XIII-2's premise is an alternate universe due to multiverse theory
>>
>>381921130
Was it Etro?
>>
I used to think FFXIII was bad.

Then I played FFXV.
>>
XIII commits the same cardinal sin as VIII: trying to replicate what made VII popular.
>>
>>381921178
>Triggered Xfag
Kek
Next you'll tell me dodging lightning, blitzball and chocobo racing was good.
>>
>>381921230
The opposite. Etro's the one that un-Ci'ethed them during the Orphan fight, which was explain if you played XIII-2.
>>
>>381905876
I don't get why people say this but give a pass to FFX
>>
>>381921230
>>381921230
Etro was from a paradox. XIII-2 was an alternate universe because of multiverse theory.
>>
>>381921362
>which was explain if you played XIII-2.
Only a week away!
>>381921356
I loved Blitzball Manager, but chocobo racing was not fun. Finding materia caves was great, but the actual racing was ass.
>>
>>381921417
It's because FFXIII doesn't have a substantial, cohesive world. You just transition from one place to the next. Furthermore, the Crystarium is a joke, while the Sphere Grid allows lots of customization for combat.

FFX also has minigames, actual towns, and interesting NPCs to talk to.

>>381921356
Fuck off. It's better than not having anything to do at all, other than walking in a straight line, followed by cutscenes, a gigantic field, and more hallways.
>>
>>381921417
X was one of the first attempts to translate jrpgs into (at the time) modern game design. So it gets a pass in that regard. XIII doesn't really have any excuses since plenty of jrpgs since X have done expansive and explorable worlds. Dragon Quest VIII comes to mind.
>>
File: TR3akZk.png (199KB, 1458x448px) Image search: [Google]
TR3akZk.png
199KB, 1458x448px
>>381921642
>while the Sphere Grid allows lots of customization for combat.
LOL
>>
>>381921642
Except FF13 had minigames
And had like 7 towns
And they even integrated the stories of failed L'cie into the sidequests on Pulse

Not that guy, but you really are a triggered Xfag dude.

FF10 and FF13 are very similar gameplay wise. Both had the same director and producer too.

>>381921765
Except it wasn't because FF10 was basically 'let's take the Midgar section of FF7 and make it a 40 hour RPG".

FF7 was the huge leap because it transitioned itself from 2D to 3D environments.

FF13 and FF10 are similar gameplay wise.
>>
>>381921642
>Sphere Grid allows lots of customization for combat.
Not unless you're playing the international version, using the expert sphere grid and grinding for spheres. For a majority of the main game, you're going to play the exact same way.
>interesting NPCs
There's Maechen and... Who else? I guess Rin shows up from time to time.
>>
>>381921846
Overall, even if X and XIII are both linear, X has the illusion of it not being a total joke like XIII was, and is a much better game. XIII doesn't even tried to hide the fact that it's a hallway simulator, and the game world suffers from it.
>>
>>381922059
So XIII basically doesn't lie to you? Are you saying games should LIE to it's players about what they are about.

Because there are plenty of counterarguments where that would be a disaster.
>>
I fucking loved 13-2
>>
>>381921959
>And had like 7 towns
No, they didn't.
>minigames
Which ones? I didn't see a single minigame in that game, unless you count Ci'eth side quests as "minigames."
>FF13 and FF10 are similar gameplay wise.
I disagree completely.

>>381922168
No, but a game should at least have a believable, fluid world. XIII feels very disjointed compared to X.
>>
>>381921959
>>FF7 was the huge leap because it transitioned itself from 2D to 3D environments.

And VII was still a matter of guiding a tiny character to icons on a world map. X was an attempt to fully integrate stuff like towns and dungeons into the overworld. Which is why I pointed out DQVIII for managing to actually pull it off.
>>
I didn't understand how the "WE'RE GOING TO SAVE COCOON AND KEEP ORPHAN SAFE" turned into "LET'S KILL ORPHAN BECAUSE HE'S ATTACKING US AND THEN SAVE COCOON".

I mean, they were going to protect the fal'cie, then barthendelus fused with it, and then they did a 180º and decided to kill it. After that, the huge ass pull of fang and vanille turning into ice was completely retarded. I could undersand if it was snow that did this shit because he had ice related powers, but fang and vanille was just retarded.
>>
>The game features no traditional towns, as each are equivalent of dungeons with enemy encounters, and no traditional shops or inns. Shops have been replaced by the online market, and the party is fully healed after each battle, doing away with the need for inns.
>>
>>381922391
Bohdum, Palumpolum, Nautalus, Eden, Paadra, Oearba, and Taajin's Tower are towns. You have the buildings, the NPCs you can walk up to and they interact with you, you have the shops in there and it's clearly a place where people live.

>>381922391
No, there was the robot minigame where Hope wacked a large pile of robots

The hide and seek minigame

The Chocobo search minigame in Pulse

The puzzle tower in Tajjin's Tower

The hidden Cactaur on Pulse

The Tournament mode on Pulse

And then the item collection and reward system from the Oearba dog.

>I disagree
But the level design and crystarium/sphere grid are very similar. That's why XIII got the hell away from FF12 and it's level design and level up system.

Plus XIII still does flow and isn't disjointed. If you want disjointed, look at X-2 and XIII-2. THAT'S disjointed

>>381922403
But the jump is NOWHERE near as big from FF9 to FF10 as it was with FF6 and FF7. 3D environments are a WHOLE now dimension to work with.
>>
>>381922957
>fully healed after each battle, doing away with the need for inns.

Yeah thats why they constantly fucking put stupid tough enemies in your way that you sometimes have no way of beating, it was stupid.
>>
>>381920665

Serah in XIII-1 is the fourth worst character in the series. Rosso the Crimson, Ellone and Shelinda are worse. She has no personality, but XIII-1 spends an inordinate amount of time with her on screen. It has nothing to show for it.

In an incredible turn of events XIII-2 Serah is the fourth best main protagonist we've had, losing only to Cloud, Terra and Shotgun. Beating Butz is a fucking accomplishment. She had an actual arc (which is way too rare for FF) of growing up from a weak, depressed, presumably insane person interested only in her sister, who always keeps her worries to herself in order to never burden another to a courageous woman willing to sacrifice herself for everyone she doesn't even know. This is a shallow and clumsy arc, but it exists. However it's a natural self harming arc for her at every point. There's a consistent theme to her personality tying it together. Beyond this Serah exhibits many human traits in her quirks. She can be angry, humorous, naive, strict, quick-thinking, oblivious, annoyed, understanding and reluctant. These make her a complete and human character instead of a caricature of a single trait being overemphasized. Her defining personality quality though is the quick tendency of bearing more guilt and responsibility than deserves.

Beyond that the Bow-Sword is rather beautiful weapon and she's always the better fighter than Noel, if you specialize them the same. She's cool to use.
>>
>>381922974
>mini-games
I missed ALL of those. I know what I'm checking out later today.
>>
>>381922518
No, they were first going to take down Bartandelous. Then they saw that Orphan was behind all of this too and wasn't just a mcguffin like the Cosmic Cube from Marvel's MCU.

They had to destroy Orphan at that point, but they had to make sure not to kill him with Ragnorok. OTherwise, the Fal'cie get what they want/ Again, loophole.
>>
>>381923216
Serah cannot be worse than Rinoa. She, at least, doesn't active ruin events in the game.
>fourth best protagonist in the series, circa FFXIII-2
I'm getting so many mixed opinions in this thread.
>>
>>381905721
You know man after reading all these comments you made me realize that I was wrong on shitting XIII.

I mean it's not like half of the plot is your characters just figuring what do the fal'Cie want them to do and the other half is rebelling against them and then doing their bidding. And that you need to read the extra compendium to understand the lore.

Or that characters are either annoying or show little to no personality during the plot. It also has one of the worst romance subplots in the series.

Or that the combat is pretty much straightforward with little variation for your roles with the exception of 2 or 3 encounters. Also you have to preset your roles before entering a combat limiting what you can do.

Or that the experience, gold and item drops from most encounters are so shit and due to the hallway structure many of these encounters are practically unavoidable.

Music is nice and game looks good though.
>>
>>381923221
Reminder that Bart can't kill Orphan himself since Fal'Cie were programmed to carry out specific orders and they can't go against said orders.
>>
>>381923424
Right. He says that himself.
>>
>>381923216
>and Shotgun.

?
>>
>>381920470
>I hope it's not as bad as you say, because I already have it on the way.
There is a visual downgrade, and it is noticable. For the most part though, the areas still manage to look nice and varied enough. And I'll fight anyone who says the final area looks bad in any way.
The story's fine enough, too. Despite including time travel up the ass, it actually manages to handle it pretty well, and even do some interesting things with it. The story when it comes to the antagonists is pretty fucking obtuse, and their motivations will remain obscure and possibly contradictory, but towards the end of the game, it'll come full circle. It's explained and, as far as I can remember, well justified. In the end, Caius is pretty competent as a villain.
Don't know what that guy means by saying the game takes the shit parts of XIII and makes them worse. The added exploration and freedom is a huge benefit, for one. The one thing I could agree with is if he said the game goes too far with the Lightning fellating.
As far as Serah, though, I remember her being pretty passive as far as protagonists go. Luckily Noel is engaging and interesting enough as a main character to compensate for it.
>>
>>381923773
>As far as Serah, though, I remember her being pretty passive as far as protagonists go. Luckily Noel is engaging and interesting enough as a main character to compensate for it.
this. without Noel, i would've dropped XIII-2 within the first hour
>>
Is any of XIII-2's DLC worth it?
>>
File: Serah-Farron.jpg (618KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Serah-Farron.jpg
618KB, 1280x720px
>>381923871
Serah was great though, level headed and not moping around for the entirety of the game like most JRPG protagonists. Also incredibly cute.
>>
>>381923954
only one of them. it's the Lightning vs Caius in Valhalla one, and I think that has a secret but canon ending
>>381923996
Nah. Fuck that. She's attractive, but I found her to be very generic. Plus, she reminds me of my ex, so that's probably why I have an irrational dislike for her appearance/character.
>>
>>381923954
I never got any of it, so take this with the biggest grain of salt, but I hear the Lightning DLC is pretty vital as it continues on from the ending of the game.
You might want it if you plan on playing Lightning Returns, I guess.
>>
>>381924204
>secret but canon ending
>ending tied behind DLC
Sort of mad.
>>
>>381923352

While I hate Rinoa, at least she's an active participant in the plot with her own agenda.

>>381923718

The protagonist of Before Crisis. Think Laguna, but with the professionalism and competence of a Turk. She can be summed up as a whore for thrills.
>>
>>381924350
>Before Crisis
People actually played that?
>>381924345
If you have the Steam version, it should be included with the game for free.
>>
>>381924489
Isn't the Steam version of XIII-2 unplayable?
>>
>>381905876
No, that's FFX. XIII has no random encounters.
>>
>>381924489
>>381924350
Was it even available in English? Wasn't it a mobile game back when flip phones were still the default?
>>
>>381924489
Nah, I'll probably just end up spending the 2 bucks on PSN. Oh wait, PSN doesn't allow you to make payments below 5 dollars. Fuck. I'll just watch it on youtube. FUCK, I hate having to do that.
>>
>>381924618
Depends on your GPU. I have a 950, and it was OK. Some parts ran really well, but it would go down to like 20 fps in rainy areas.
>>
>>381924742
Honestly, it's not much. It's like one battle and a cutscene at the end.
>>
>>381909602
>Even KH fans can't seem to keep up with this clusterfuck.
Please, everyone can keep track of things just fine by playing the games. Stop spouting memes as arguments.
>>
are there any other games in the series like FFXIII

where controlling your destiny is the primary theme instead of a story laden with existential misanthropy?
>>
>>381924489

I certainly didn't. I watched it on youtube, since I wanted to know what it had to offer, since it certainly wasn't going to be released here. If they did, I would play it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fYtNUC6Aek&index=2&list=PLE75858F7C5A3927D
>>
>>381924967
Err did you not play any final fantasies?
>>
>>381924967
FF10 is similar to it.
>>
>>381923221
They were going to destroy barthendelus and protect orphan. But then, barthendelus fused to orphan and they just decided to kill it.

This is just plain retarded because orphan himself was the force holding cocoon in the sky. At this point, literally no one knew that fang and vanille could freeze the entire cocoon.

What they decided to do was just kill everyone in cocoon, even though the fal cie wouldn't get what they wanted.
>>
>>381924967
FFIX largely fits that theme. X as well.
>>
>>381924967
>>where controlling your destiny is the primary theme

Isn't that most of them?
>>
>>381924967
FF8
>>
>>381925058
>What they decided to do was just kill everyone in cocoon
What about all the people that came out of Cocoon at the end?
>>
>>381925130
>VIII
>Controlling your destiny
>When everything you do in the game is meaningless because the entire game is a time loop
>>
VI > IX > V > everything else
>>
>>381925058
No, because Orphan was in on it too. They thought Orphan was not sentient and more like the Cosmic Cube from Marvel MCU.

Except Fang and Vanille knew that they had to summon Ragnorok. Fang did it before hand with Vanille running away. But this time they both did it and summoned the fully powered Ragnorok and used it to save Cocoon.

They've experienced this situation before dude.
>>
>>381905721
How can you call it "ahead of it's time" when it's objectively a step backwards from it's predecessor?
Gameplay wise, 12 had everything 13 had, and more.
I didn't mind it, when I played FF12 I mostly set gambits on 2 characters and controlled the last one manually - and that's basically how FF13 works as well, only that in 12 it was a choice, but here you're forced to play this way.
>>
>>381925568
XII didn't have string cancelling or ATB refresh, get good. Also XII was XI for casuals.
>>
>>381925568
It's predicesor FF12 was the step backwards

Decent story, but forgettable characters going after Star Wars motifs, combat that is slow, monotonous and lacking many obvious features, and gameplay that is barren, directionless and with sidequests that can take too long is NOT A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

That's why the IZJS was made, as basically the 'not fucked up edition' of FF12.

FF13 has MANY of the features that FF12 was lacking while playing up on the similar gameplay designs of FF10.

It's clear that FF13 is the better game.
>>
>>381925257
That's why fang and vanille turned to a fucking huge ice pillar to hold cocoon in the sky, but at that point, no one knew they could do that. If they hand't done that, cocoon would hit the ground and kill everyone.

>>381925305
Orphan was on it too but he couldn't kill himself because fal'cies aren't allowed to do that. He couldn't just stop floating and crash, so they needed l'cies to do that, which was exactly what the party did.

Fang or vanille (i dont remember) used ragnarok once centuries ago to make a crack on cocoon, there was no indication that ragnarok's power could be used to save cocoon in the entire game, nor that 2 persons instead of one could fuse together and use this power. I mean, if they could have done that, why didn't they tell anyone?
>>
File: 1496782186502.jpg (51KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1496782186502.jpg
51KB, 1024x576px
>>381920818
Truly ahead of its time. I enjoyed the first game despite its hole-filled story and shit characters but XIII-2 is even better.

> Based paradigm system made even faster
>Your third party member is a highly customizable pokemon of your choice
> Compelling story
> Serah is a much more competent lead than Lighting. By miles
> Notable soundtrack
>>
>>381926067
Why did they Orphan and Bart want to summon the creator again, also is the creator Bhunivelze or Mwynn?
>>
>>381926025
>sidequests that can take too long
The only one I can think of is the one that unlocks Chaos.
>>381926184
Mwynn is dead.
>>
File: It's a boy.jpg (15KB, 547x348px) Image search: [Google]
It's a boy.jpg
15KB, 547x348px
>>381919941
You can have that boy all for yourself, anon.
You and him would make a really cute gay couple.
>>
Been playing through this again and I am still in love with the battle system. It's so fun to try out paradigm schemes to see what works best, and it's so satisfying when you can figure out how to beat that encounter your set up wasn't working for, or when you can get a 5-star rating with a perfect set up. It's not perfect (AI alternating between Fire/Flamestrike and taking extra time, or targeting who you'd have them target) but it's still a great and rewarding battle system.

I can understand why people might not like this game and that's okay if they don't. But I generally see complaints about the soundtrack being shit "as well" and this simply isn't true. The composer isn't Nobuo, but there are a lot of fantastic pieces in the soundtrack. The only truly bad songs are the Cocoon chocobo theme and Snow's theme.
>>
>>381926250
So is Bhunivelze the creator?
>>
>>381926184
I don't know, but I guess they wanted to summon the maker again because he said he was coming back but never came back after zillions of years, so the fal'cies felt """""lonely""""". Something in the game said that humans died faithfully thinking that they would be reunited with the maker in the afterlife, but the fal'cies were immortal and after being alive for a shitload of time, they knew this wasn't the case.

They've decided to kill millions of humans just to catch the maker's attention making him shows himself again.
>>
>>381926329
>But I generally see complaints about the soundtrack being shit "as well"
Literally no one in this thread has said that.
>The composer isn't Nobuo
Yeah it's the guy who saved X's OST from the garbage Uematsu did for it.
>>
>>381926443
Yes, I believe so.
>>
>>381926067
EXCEPT L'cie were suppose to kill Orphan WITH RAGNOROK. You are missing the part where they needed to kill Orphan WITH RAGNOROK. If they didn't, then the vision would never incorporate Ragnorok in the first place. Again, there was a specific way they wanted the characters to do it. It's like shooting a zombie, you can shoot it anywhere, but to keep it dead, you have to shoot it in the head. There is a specific METHOD that have to do.

Fang used Ragnorok to try and create that hole. However, they decided to use it because if Ragnorok could cause Cocoon's destruction, it could be used to save Cocoon as well.

Also, they had an entire conversation about telling people to get off Cocoon and try to warn others when they could when they got to Eden. In fact, Yaach finally believes them and helps them.

>>381926184
>>381926531

The Maker actually and his name is Bhunivelze. He was just known as The Maker at the time and that was more than enough to go on.

And Cid Raines already explained that the Fal'cie just wanted to hit the reset button since their world was fucked over human's warring with machines, magic, etc.

Again, did ANY of you guys actually play the game?
>>
>>381925305
If Fang and Vanille had a plan at all, the rest of the party clearly didn't know about it judging from their blatant reactions.

They still would've doomed everyone on Cocoon.

>>381926184
This is never really elaborated upon but since Mwynn is Bhunivelze's mother she'd have to be the top god and actual Maker of the physical realm.
Bhunivelze killed her long before the start of the story because he's a little shit and wanted control of the mortal realm himself.

There is layers to the whole fal'Cie plan.

Bhunivelze made Pulse and Lindzei so they could search for a gate to the Unseen Realm. Pulse and his fal'Cie searched the physical world, but Lindzei made his fal'Cie set up an elaborate scheme to gather up people in Cocoon just so they could kill them and create such a massive influx of souls the gate would be thrown wide open.

Pulse and Lindzei's fal'Cie themselves on the other hand seemed to have different reasons to carry out their plan, and just wanted to see their Maker again. Whether this refers to Bhunivelze or Pulse/Lindzei is never really specified I think.
>>
>>381926745
>EXCEPT L'cie were suppose to kill Orphan WITH RAGNOROK. You are missing the part where they needed to kill Orphan WITH RAGNOROK. If they didn't, then the vision would never incorporate Ragnorok in the first place. Again, there was a specific way they wanted the characters to do it. It's like shooting a zombie, you can shoot it anywhere, but to keep it dead, you have to shoot it in the head. There is a specific METHOD that have to do.

I already said that this part is ok.

>Fang used Ragnorok to try and create that hole. However, they decided to use it because if Ragnorok could cause Cocoon's destruction, it could be used to save Cocoon as well.

This is exactly the problem, NOTHING in the game indicated that ragnarok could be used to save cocoon.

>Also, they had an entire conversation about telling people to get off Cocoon and try to warn others when they could when they got to Eden. In fact, Yaach finally believes them and helps them.

Guess what, if they couldn't save it, cocoon was going to crash, so an evacuation was the right move in all scenarios.
>>
>>381926892
>Bhunivelze made Pulse and Lindzei so they could search for a gate to the Unseen Realm
Por que?
>>
File: 1498170229275.png (284KB, 499x559px) Image search: [Google]
1498170229275.png
284KB, 499x559px
>>381913847
>friends and I love the ff series
>13 comes out and all of us get it
>all of us are like wtf is this
>we collectively spend the next year picking it up and dropping it several times
>none of us finish it but we all got more than halfway through
>my one friend almost got to the last stage but quit bc "fuck this game I tried so hard to like it but its just so bad"

Tldr 4 fans of the series tried repeatedly for a year to enjoy 13 but collectively realized how god awful it is.
>>
>>381914358
>combat is good

This is one of the biggest lies about 13. The combat is fucking horrible.
>>
>>381926892
When you put it like this the lore unironically seems god tier, I just don't remember ANY of this in the game's main exposition granted it's been a while since I've played the game.

Also what's the Unseen Realm and what is its significance, why are they looking for it?
>>
>>381925086
Not particularly.

FFX is misanthropic in design. Yuna isn't fighting fate, she's fighting her heritage. There's a key difference between grabbing a hold of your destiny and fighting against it. In FFX she's making a choice, in FFXIII they don't have one.
>>
>>381927259
>It's another 'I'm too casual for the combat!' post
Refer to >>381915478
>>
>>381926892
No, because it's clear that Fang and Vanille knew what they were doing. They experienced the Ragnorok incident before hand an

>>381927010
But the evacuation was BEFORE they even started fighting Bartandelous or Orphan. So even if Cocoon was somehow destroyed, the people would still have not been killed. Plus The Maker still would not have woken up because the point of Orphan dying to Ragnorok was suppose to be the equivalent of an alarm clock.

>>381913847
>>381927125
Except for the part where it was well recieved by the majority of people. Or the fact that the people who didn't like it are a vocal minority. Or the fact that the game got subseries from fan demand. Or the fact that it sold better than every FF game except for FF7 and FF10. Or the fact that FF13 is the 4th best PS3 game in Japan. Or that Lightning Farron is the Japanese fan favorite.

>>381927259
FF13 has a good combat system. It's much better than at least 8-9 of the Final Fantasy games alone and rectified critiques pulled on FF12's lacking combat system.
>>
>>381927119
The Unseen Realm is the realm of the dead, where Mwynn went after Bhunivelze killed her.
But he believed she had placed a curse on the mortal world so it would one day be destroyed.
So he set out to destroy her once and for all by going to the Unseen Realm to kill her properly, but could not do so without giving up control of the mortal world.
Thus the whole gate plan.

Also, Pulse, Lindzei and Etro were fal'Cie themselves, although vastly more powerful.
They were simply worshiped as Gods by people later, thus the very confusing term Maker referring to multiple entities in the Analects.
>>
>>381926892
This Lindzei thing only happened after he realizes that humans drop some kind of ether when they died, which fal'cies did not.That's why he came up with the plan of killing millions of humans at the same time, so the ether flux would be so big and that they could see where it was going, thus opening and revealing the gate.
>>
>>381927320
>I don't remember any of this in the game's exposition
Yeah, it wasn't there.

>Also what's the Unseen Realm
It's kind of like the afterlife.

>Why are they looking for it?
Probably to dick around and try and take it over.

>>381927524
>critiques pulled on FF12's combat system
What were those critiques?
>>
>>381927524
vocal minority ahahaha it sold less and less each game
>>
>>381927749
>>381927692
The fact that this shit wasn't explained in-game is upsetting. That would have made for some great backstory and lore.
>>
>>381921417
Because X being linear is literally just a meme. Most of the "Linear" level design is a product of one of the first PS2 games made and one the first JRPGs made for the PS2 and "next-gen" in general. FFX still had an airship you could use to revisit locations and also find some secret ones. There were actual sidequests, not just "talk to a stone that tells you to kill 3 enemies of this type". Also FFX had shit to do asides from just running and fighting, as well as actual towns, shops and collectibles, not a fucking terminal with access to everything.

And the sphere grid is way better than the crystarium. If you play with advanced grid, you can turn every character into WHATEVER role you want from the start. Not saying that X didn't have issues, but it's definitely not anything comparable with XIII
>>
"FF13"
"ahead of its time"
good laugh
>>
>>381905721

Better game than FF15. More visually stimulating at the very least.
>>
File: 2189320.jpg (100KB, 990x658px) Image search: [Google]
2189320.jpg
100KB, 990x658px
>>381927487
>smash X and change paradigm when needed combat
>too casual for anyone
>>
>>381927524
>But the evacuation was BEFORE they even started fighting Bartandelous or Orphan

So what? How much time you think it's passed from the evac order untill they killed orphan? There was no time to save a relevant number of people, unless you are saying that everyone on cocoon had a ship ready and everyone believed on the fly that they were supposed to go to pulse, a place that was "literally hell" to them.
>>
>>381928009
>Smash X
That's every Final Fantasy, designed for casuals such as yourself.
>>
>>381927898
The lore is on fabula nova crystallis universe as a whole.
>>
>>381927751
>No button to speed up the game
>No controllable summons
>No controllable guests
>No bar for the quickening (LImit break)
>Needed more for the job class system
>HP on FF enemies were too high where the characters had a limit of damage

>>381927792
Subseries don't sell as much as their number title counter parts in a year

>FF10: 6.7 million copies
>FF10-2: 3.4 million copies

>FF7: 9.8 million
>Crisis Core: 2.57 million
>Dirge of Cerberus: 1.2 million

>FF13: 6.2 million
FF13-2: 3.1 million
LR;FF13: 1.4 million

>>381928131
Dude, they have entire military that can take an entire town to that Purge place in 1 day. I think they don't need anywhere as weeks to get people on ships and leave.
>>
File: wakka.jpg (33KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
wakka.jpg
33KB, 1280x720px
>>381905876
No because there is no fighting. You just press X to autobattle and change your role on occasion. It's the worst game I ever played if it even deserves to be called a game.

Anyone liking this game is either shitposting faggot, smug contrarian, or has shit taste.
>>
>>381922974
None of those were minigames, they were setpieces, huge difference.
>>
>>381928519
>Tells you major amount of minigames
>"No!!! Those don't count!"

definition
>A minigame (also spelled mini-game or mini game and sometimes called a subgame or microgame) is a short video game often contained within another video game, and sometimes in application software or on a display of any form of hardware. ... Some minigames can also be bonus stages or secret levels

So yes, they are minigames.
>>
>>381928343
>an entire town compared to the whole cocoon

Well, I can't agree with that, especially seeing the size of cocoon from pulse. Besides, I don't really think people would just accept that they needed to go to pulse because literally a month ago they wanted a public execution of pulse l'cies and the purge of anyone that made any kind of contact with them.

Also I don't think that it passed more than a couple of hours from the point that the party returned to cocoon to when they killled orphan.
>>
File: 1479817142978.png (1019KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1479817142978.png
1019KB, 1280x720px
>>381909505
Final Fantasy XIII is a video game version of Steven Seagal movie.
>>
>>381921328
>trying to replicate 7 while taking away everything that made 7 fun

Fix'd
>>
>>381928671
They are set pieces. Mini games can be replayed. The hope thing happens in the junkyard, a location you can't get back to, the chocobo search ends once you find one, same for all the other ones you mentioned, they're one time occasions, thats a set piece. A minigame is something like the tower defense from FF7, the card game from FF8 or the blitzball from FFX
>>
>>381928916
>Mash Attack and Heal
>Fun
>>
>>381928343
>>>No button to speed up the game

Why is it that XII gets this complaint? In a genre known for stopping the player every five seconds with a swoosh and black screen, somehow XII is the one people have a problem with.
>>
>>381923201
I got stuck on some giant bird thing or was it a plant thing. When you're lightning and that autistic boy. I honestly could not figure out how to beat it due to 13 having such a terribad battle system.
>>
>>381928916
No, FF13 is suppose to be gameplay wise, similar to FF10 but keeping away from the mistakes of FF12.

>>381928961
But you can replay the tournament, and the Cactaur minigame. and the Chocobo search mingame. And the item request and reward system.

Plus not all mingames have to be replayable. Look at how past Final Fantasy games inserted mingames that were kind of just one time things like the 'marching of Shinra" minigame (along with the simon says mingame) or the CPR minigame.

>>381929145
Because they programmed that into the debug phase of the original FF12, left it out and then put it back into the IZJS when people were pointing out how slow and monotonous it was!
>>
>>381928343
I see. I didn't have an issue with any of those, barring high HP pools(I don't want to wail on a boss for 2+ actual hours), but I can understand those points. Well, except for the FF button. That seems unnecessary.
>>
>>381929305
Protoflorian. Yeah, he has a shit ton of HP.
>>
File: granpulse.jpg (130KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
granpulse.jpg
130KB, 1280x720px
I played FFXIII because my friend insisted the game gets better when you get to the Gran Pulse.

Turns out it's just a boring field with enemies scattered all around it.

FFXIII is easily the most boring game I've played through.
>>
>>381922974
Setpieces, not minigames. Also sphere grid is not crystarium, because you can decide to build your characters the way you want on the sphere grid while crystarium is linear circle with inefficient variants for classes that character isn't supposed to be, that's just lazy shit design like the entire game.

Are you honestly believing this or are you just memeing to bait people with this shit taste?
>>
>>381928343
you just pointed out how bad it did and defend it sale wise. leave now the games is trash and the director is treated like trash now for good reason
>>
>>381929316
Again those are set pieces, if they happen once its a set piece. The item request is literally just some dude asking for an item, how the fuck is a fetch quest a mini game to you?
>>
>>381929305
>Getting filtered at Protoflarian
Jesus christ, video games aren't for you.
>>
>>381905721
game sucks
the in medias res approach to the start of the game makes things entirely incomprehensible if you don't read the data logs after every single cutscene
the game is streamlined so badly that you can get through the beginning chunks by just walking forward and pressing "Auto battle" in every fight
they even had to make the save points and shops one in the same because they left no opportunity to backtrack, sidetrack, or go anywhere but forward

the music is bland and forgettable which is disgraceful for a final fantasy game and the plot hook sucks ("We need to go on adventure because of these tattoos that will turn us into monsters if we don't! But we don't know what the adventure is!") so you never feel invested in what is going to happen next
i haven't made it past the first ten hours because i was bored to tears and didn't care about what was going on or any of the characters
the game railroads you more than final fantasy IV, which is crazy to think about

it's one of the worst games i've ever bought and to this day i hold it as a monument to everything you don't want an RPG to be
that it has as many fans as it does completely baffles me
>>
File: 201602_1231_hfbdc_sm.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
201602_1231_hfbdc_sm.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>381924967
>13 was his introduction to final fantasy

Oh my god anon. I'm so sorry. Trust me there are way better ones.
>>
>>381929537
>the music is bland and forgettable which is disgraceful
Nice bait, next you're gonna tell me X's OST is bland and forgettable.
>>
>>381929450
No, I pointed out the consistency to other prior games. Not how bad it was dumb dumb. Look at how the other games did by comparison!

>>381929446
>>381929498
THOSE ARE NOT SET PIECES RETARDS! STOP TROLLING AND ADMIT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A MINIGAME IS.
>>
File: 1498347432168.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1498347432168.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
>>381926025
>its clear ff13 is the better game
>>
>>381929786
its a fucking set piece. Define a set piece to me.
>>
File: 1497605030791.png (711KB, 640x1037px) Image search: [Google]
1497605030791.png
711KB, 640x1037px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj8joGzTMho
>>
>>381929838
Again, you are wrong. Even Brentalfloss sings about those so called "set pieces" you keep blabbing about as minigames!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq6K1rIR8MQ
>>
File: 1490558074240.jpg (198KB, 620x827px) Image search: [Google]
1490558074240.jpg
198KB, 620x827px
>>381929843
Fucking nips, how do they work?
>>
>>381929537
This is exactly something I'd say down to
>it's one of the worst games i've ever bought and to this day i hold it as a monument to everything you don't want an RPG to be
This game should be used on schools to teach students how to not design a game
>>
>>381929652
this >>381929843 is literally the only song i remember and it's because it's the game's battle theme so you'll hear it assloads of times
i'll admit that it's a decent battle theme but it can't hold up the rest of the soundtrack

besides, the game has much bigger problems
>>
File: 1497925792471.gif (326KB, 432x290px) Image search: [Google]
1497925792471.gif
326KB, 432x290px
>>381927524
>13 had better combat then 9

Well you did it anon. Now I know you're literally talking out your ass
>>
>>381930139
IX did nothing particularly special. Although it had a shit trance system that served little use.
>>
>>381929983
Why the fuck should I listen to this faggot?

Man, I sure love that resident evil 4 MINIGAME where a giant statue chases you across a castle hall
>>
>>381927792
Ignore him anon. He's just mad nobody liked his waifu simulator and is talking out his ass. Everyone knows 13 was the worst received and reviewed ff.
>>
File: Alyssa_Talking.jpg (175KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Alyssa_Talking.jpg
175KB, 1280x720px
>>381926076
>Compelling story
XIII-2 is one of my favorite games all of time, but even my awful opinions don't cloud me to the fact that the game's story is a shit fest. Not nearly as bad as XIII's, mind you, but still terrible. That being said, the characters were much more understandable and a bit easier to relate to.

Lightning Returns on the other hand after from a horrifically awful protagonist had a decent, not great, story. Characters who I thought had benign or lackluster motivations like Snow and Caius were actually somewhat understandable. Vanille shut her mouth for nearly the entire game which was a great bonus.

Also, what the fuck happened to Alyssa after XIII-2? Just about every character came back after XIII-2 in some way but her.
>>
>>381930338
>Everyone knows 13 was the worst received and reviewed ff.
XV is.
>>
>>381930246
You know what IX did? Allowed you to control your entire party :,)
>>
>>381929810
Then explain to me why FF12 had to be overhauled combat and gameplay wise with the IZJS that didn't come over to America for 10 FUCKING YEARS?

>>381930139
I didn't say FF9, I said about 8-9 OF THE Final Fantasy games. Not FF9.

FF1, FF2, FF3, FF5, FF8, FF11, FF12 and FF14 1.0 are weaker than FF13 combat wise.

>>381930329
So you admit you don't know what a mini-game is

>>381930338
>83 by critics
>7.5-8.0 user average
>worst reviewed FF game

??????
>>
>>381930102
Absolute garbage taste, this song alone is better than the entirety of XII's OST.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBoBO0YMBys
>>
>>381930139
FF9 is called FF9 because the battles were fucking 9 FPS LMFAOOOOOOO it was a shit game and only people who had it as their first FF think its good, you're not alone was a shit segment the only decent one was defending alexandria with beatrix
>>
>>381929786
Alright. According to one contrarian (you) the truck part in Uncharted 4 is a minigame and not a setpiece then. Fight between REX and Ray in MGS4 is a minigame again just because you said so. Or maybe running a simulation of a scan in SOMA is a minigame too.
>>
>>381929537
I agree with all of this. I bought 13 for 5 bucks in a bargain bin. I'm still mad I wasted 5 bucks. I couldn't imagine how angry I'd be if I spent full price day one.
>>
>>381930416
You know what XIII did? Made debuffs actually mean something which makes it objectively better than IX.
>>
>>381930379
>Also, what the fuck happened to Alyssa after XIII-2? Just about every character came back after XIII-2 in some way but her
Wasn't there some plot arc or sidequest about how she only existed because of a paradox, and once the paradox resolved she'd cease to be?
>>
File: 1460389454568.png (42KB, 314x341px) Image search: [Google]
1460389454568.png
42KB, 314x341px
>XIII-2 is supposedly amazing and a big improvement over XIII
>shits the bed on a fucking 1070, 15fps everywhere

Guess I'll never see how good it is so I'll keep shitposting this trilogy to the ground.
>>
>>381930621

Those are not set pieces stupid. Set pieces are things choreographed so that you don't lose. Lara Croft in the new Tomb Raider 2013 had set pieces.

>>381930743
Not hat guy, but it also made sure you could activate limit breaks more often.
>>
>>381905721
A shit game but sadly one of the bests of the Nu-FF
13-2 > LR > 13 > 15 > 12
>>
>>381930561
>the entirety of XII's OSt
m8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PjEN-zFlDQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3vT3hp0U5w
https://youtu.be/TDCUaYGmD5s
https://youtu.be/K4M5ivckBPQ

Let's not shit on FFXII unwarranted.
>>
>>381930379

Serah and Noel erased her timeline.
She's dead. You can find her request in the Canvas of Prayers boards. Meaning, presumably, that each of those is actually from a dead person.
>>
>>381930835
Of course they are not setpieces. They are minigames. Because you said so.
>>
File: barret.jpg (158KB, 1024x1208px) Image search: [Google]
barret.jpg
158KB, 1024x1208px
You'd have to be a fucking retard to say that FFX and FFXIII play the same. Or even saying that FFXIII had a decent combat system.

Let me give you a quick rundown: These games are both turn based RPGs, so 90% of their gameplay comes from the combat system.

FFX uses actual turns and a system to determine turns based on the "Importance" of each action, it also lets you swap party members on the fly, with each party member serving a unique and necessary role (except Kimahri, shit character).

FFXIII uses ATB, only lets you control one character, has you set hard-coded roles (As in, they can't do anything else once they're inside that role) on the other party members and has that shit system where you only deal high damage if you hit the enemy fast for a certain amount of time. It also has absolute bullshit like calling game over if your MC dies, even if the rest of the party is alive, and a shitty EXTREMELY inflexible friendly AI that will NOT variate its strategies according to role, instead it will always follow that hard-coded preset. For example medics wont cast revive until the other 2 on the party are in white health.

Its bullshit because pretty much the entire reason why turn based combat in computer RPGs exist is that it allows you to control an entire party at the same time, so giving you a combat system where you can only control 1 party member is extremely counterproductive
>>
>>381931034
>no eruyt village 0/12
>>
>>381917187
i don't remember anon. It's been something like 7 years. calm down.
>>
>>381931259
But wait, there's more!
https://youtu.be/RgvaZ1F7Ox8
https://youtu.be/QOAD58HCB-c
https://youtu.be/ZhUYPy7GVn4
https://youtu.be/QjP6z0YOlSA
>>
>Play FFXII
>money is scarce
>need to attack enemies to get loot to get more money
>to attack enemies, you need to buy attacks
>to use the attacks you need to buy gambits to use said attacks
>for the attacks to deal damage you need equipment
>spend money to buy equipment
>to get money you need to kill enemies
>enemies drop rate is low
>have enough money finally
>cannot use said weapon because AP is not enough now
>back to grinding
>finish getting AP
>buy or find new spell
>grind to get AP to use spell
>now cannot use spell because I don't have appropriate gambit
>gambit takes 10,000 gold
>need to grind more to get gold, gambit, and spell to use spell i found 5 hours ago

The game is shit.
>>
File: hahahaha.jpg (136KB, 2048x1025px) Image search: [Google]
hahahaha.jpg
136KB, 2048x1025px
Also to that faggot who said that FFXIII has towns: No it fucking doesn't, when somebody talks about "towns" in RPGs, they don't mean a collection of buildings (this nigger actually went on to call the tower a TOWN). It's a place where there's no combat, there's shops and NPCs you can interact with and you can walk freely. There is literally not a single place like that in XIII. All the shops were on the save station, the "towns" still had a linear path instead of being open ended and there were barely any NPCs if ANY at all because I don't remember a single one.

But of course, we're talking about a retard who thinks that a "minigame" is whenever the game has a special sequence that slightly changes the gameplay.

>>381930835
Name a single set piece from TR13 where you can't die
>>
>>381930139
Explain how 9's combat system is better than 13's.
>>381930379
I only ever had a problem with XIII's story in retrospective; during my first playthrough I couldn't care less about the story or characters, while further inspection showed me those two aspects where absolutely garbage. XIII-2's story, however, had me involved so there's that for me. I don't know whether the sequel's plot was good or not, but it didn't have me sleeping through the cut-scenes at least.
>>
>>381931402
Estersand is one of my favorite tracks. Goddamn there's just so much energy to it.
>>
>>381917187
Dude, I've played this game and that's an awfully too specific question.

A better question would be "How do you beat the summons" in FF13? That's general enough and something you can't just blindly look up.
>>
>>381930421
>83 by critics
>during the era of games critics railing against gameplay in favor of automatic spectacle
You're seriously making that argument?
>>
File: FFXV-Announce-Tease_06-23-17.jpg (56KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
FFXV-Announce-Tease_06-23-17.jpg
56KB, 600x337px
So we can all agree that XV is the best of the double digit FFs right?
>>
>>381917548
The second video made me remember how bad this game actually is, it's even worse because I forgot you can control only one character.

What a shit game, is it even possible to die in this crap maybe except for one unlucky rng you wouldn't be able to stop in any way during the entire game?
>>
>>381931571
>this nigger actually went on to call the tower a TOWN
Seriously... Who the fuck thinks Taejin's Tower is a fucking town, lmao. What a retarded faggot.
>>
>>381931680
Dude, Demon's Souls sucks! I couldn't beat 1-2 so I grinded the first mob in 4-1 for an hour and dropped the game!
>>
>>381931680
>Gets 83
>Pretty much a "dont' buy day one but it's worth a purchase grade"
>NO! It's CLEARLY THE ERA!!! NOT THE GAME
>Same generation that game FF14 critically panning reviews, RE6 a 66, and railed on others like Sonic 06 and Beyond Two Souls

>>381931842
Isn't FF10 considered the Japanese fan favorite?

Seems morel like

FF10 > FF15 > FF13 >> FF11 >> FF12 >>>>>>>> FF14 1.0
>>
>>381931616
You can actually control all your party members. The game isn't over if the guy you're controlling dies. Battles don't have to be excruciatingly long because there's no staggering system and your characters are not limited in their power by a shitty progression system
>>
>>381922974
Except you follow a straight line beginning to end with no branching paths or secrets of any kind, save points act as stores since you don't interact with a physical store and you barely interact with any NPC except the very beginning, Nautalus and one part of Eden before Rosch's boss.
>>
>>381932026
If any battle in XIII takes you more than five minutes you're straight up garbage at the game, this thread is showing me how bad people were at the battle system.
>>
>>381931402
https://youtu.be/l3XiB0vFOKo
https://youtu.be/6wzU706vNlA
https://youtu.be/Pl8HV-ngAKw
https://youtu.be/VmAsJL5Dt6k
Alright, I'm done.

>>381931547
>to attack enemies, you need to buy attacks
wut.
>>381931859
Apparently. According to >>381915923
, you have a 50/50 chance of dying with every move that you make.
>>
>>381931842
It's a piece of shit.

It might just make mediocre once its actually complete by 2020, if any lunatic is still interested by then. Even then I doubt it.
Episodes Gladi and Prompto were shit and barely contributed anything.
>>
>>381931571
So I guess Bohdum, Palumpolum, Nautalus, Eden, Paadra, Oearba and Taajin's Tower don't exist, huh?

Dude by your logic, FF7-10 don't have towns because they have places that you fight in them too. There are actual places when you visit said towns where you can hit some kind of fight. Salvation is when you get into a save spot where there is no fighting.

Even Pokemon towns have fighting in them too.
>>
>>381932190
Okay, ONE more. https://youtu.be/fMgLuY6bNds
>>
>>381905721
It's not a bad game but to call it "ahead of its time" is just dumb.

It's an okay game that could have been a fantastic game had the people in charge of level design actually given a damn.
>>
>>381931842
When all the character episodes are releases and all of those story DLC on the poll list have been patched in, it might be an acceptable game. It'll still always be a piece of shit compared to IV-X, which actually told stories and had slight elements of strategy.
>>
>>381931842
>Empty world
>Invisible walls all over the world
>Car is entirely on rails
>Side quests are Korean MMO tier
>Characters get no development
>Story happens off screen during the linear part where it should be more focused
>Combat is holding O
>Camera in combat sucks
>Magic is actively bad
>Plot points like Prompto being an MT are brought up and then completely disregarded
>World of Ruin was a straight line to Talcott
It's the worst game I've ever played, fuck anyone who thinks this game is anything other than absolute trash.
>>
>>381932261
First off, Taejin's Tower is a dungeon, not a fucking town. And we're talking about towns in the traditional JRPG sense, stupid faggot. 7-10 had towns where you could buy equipment, rest at inns, talk to its inhabitants, and run outside and fight monsters through random encounters. In XIII, traditional towns do not exist. At all.
>>
>>381932165

See thats the thing, in RPGs standard encounters should NEVER last more than a minute. Most of the encounters in FFXIII especially when reaching pulse are absurdly long even if you use the buffs, debuffs and staggering system. The biggest problem is that you can't fucking overlevel until you reach a certain part in the game, almost in the fucking end. And the fixed crysarium part ends way too soon for you to feel powerful. You never feel in danger, but you never feel like you're super powerful either.

>Oh no youre just bad!

again kindly fuck off. Especially at Oerba, or the bartandalus fight there which takes like 20 fucking minutes. you can

>Buff your entire party as soon as you start
>debuff the enemy as soon as you start
>immediately switch into 3 ravs to rush the staggering
>once that happens, immediately switch into 3 commandos to maximize damage
>Fight still takes 20 minutes because the guy has an absurd amount of health and your guys are not able to deal a high amount of damage.

FFXIII is insufferable because they completely deny all of the FACTUAL flaws the game has
>>
>>381931956
>Listing broken games like 14 1.0 and Sonic 06
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/prince-of-persia
QED; KYS
>>
>>381932478
No, it was stated that Taajin's Tower was a place where people (like scholars and monks) lived a long time ago. People actually LIVED there.

FF13 had shops you could buy stuff. They just combined it with the save spots and made it easy access for anybody to buy stuff at a particular save point.

You could talk with inhabitants of those towns as well. Just walk up to them and they start talking to you immediately.

There were plenty of traditional elements in FF13, you are just ignoring them

>>381932742
So I list actual games that were bad and were critically panned as such and you think listing one game completely ignores the rest?

Yeah, fuck off. Now you are just being biased
>>
>>381932719
>again kindly fuck off. Especially at Oerba, or the bartandalus fight there which takes like 20 fucking minutes. you can
You just admitted you were bad at the game though, that fight shouldn't take more than a minute, if it actually took you 20 minutes then I would advise you stop playing video games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5kH1ID9qEI
>>
>>381931842
lol
>>
>>381932719
>>See thats the thing, in RPGs standard encounters should NEVER last more than a minute.

On the flipside, chaining together enemies for full-scale battles in The Last Remnant was pretty great.
>>
>>381932719
>20 minutes
Boss fights should take less than 7 minutes, for the most part.
>>
>>381913413

How is that good design. That is the most basic bitch video game female I have ever seen.
>>
>Only 2 of the newer FF games forces you to grind to even beat the next area.
>Funny it's the two that people on /v/ love together and everyone else hates
>Grinding ended at IV
>V you can have the shittest job team and win
>you can literally beat FFVI at level 20 with the three required characters
>VII - Good Materia Setups
>VIII - Refine and junction to break the game in 10 minutes
>IX - GRIND!!!!!
>X - Literally can beat the game with zero spheres upgrade
>XII - GGGGRRRINNNDDDDD
>XIII - Can beat the game without touching the crystal
>XV - Can beat the game without even opening the menu. Just eat food.

>>walk towards objective with one character stealing on literal automatic
>get job from pub
>walk towards objective while stealing
>Describes grinding
>NO ITS FARMMMMINNNGGGG!!!!! RREEEEEEEEEE
>YOU NEED TO GET THIS ITEM AND DO THIS STUFF TO GRIND EASIER!!!!!

You even said so
>BUY A Ip Collar!!!
>which requires GRINDING for Money, AP, and the item itself

Holy fuck, you are one dense motherfucker.

No you're shit. And yes, walking to the pub, then walking outside, to fight the 3 Tomato monsters, only to exit the area, to go back and fight the 3 tomato monsters again and again and again and again is grinding.
>>
File: Fang2.gif (1MB, 245x350px) Image search: [Google]
Fang2.gif
1MB, 245x350px
>>381933000
(You)
>>
File: Taejin's_Tower_-_Ground_Tier.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Taejin's_Tower_-_Ground_Tier.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>381932261
>>381932876
>Taejin's Tower
>town

If you really think this is a fucking town, you need your eyes checked.
>>
>>381933014
>XII
People have beaten the game with no license board usage, no equipment(streaker runs), and at level 1/22/333. No need to bullshit.
>>
>>381905721
I fucking KNEW a FF13 defense force would blossom soon after FFXV released. Quit pretending this mediocre installment is anything but a failed experiment that's only favorable in hindsight thanks to FFXV straying even FARTHER from the formula.
>>
>>381933000
>Female Gladio
>Basic

Fuck you and the trips you rode in on.
>>
>>381933221
>It's another 'XV is bad meme'
Guess that's why it has the most positive reviews of any game in the series and won the most GOTY awards of any game in the series.
>>
>>381932026
>You can actually control all your party members.
I understand the first part of your criticism but you have a wider margin of control over your party members than you may think. You can set whether they'll focus on a single enemies, use AOE attacks or go with the flow. It's something, at the least.

>The game isn't over if the guy you're controlling dies.

I don't see a problem with that. The game would be way too easy if you could just avoid death by taking control of another character or stockpiling on revival items like the other FFs. I only realized I had a problem with this when I played the painfully bad FFXV.

>Battles don't have to be excruciatingly long because there's no staggering system and your characters are not limited in their power by a shitty progression system

Gonna have to concur with this >>381932026 gentleman on the battle lenght.
>>
>>381932876
>No, it was stated that Taajin's Tower was a place where people (like scholars and monks) lived a long time ago. People actually LIVED there

Where on Earth did you get that from? It's certainly not stated in the game.
Even if it was true it would make it a glorified shrine rather than a town.
>>
>>381905721
That game is pure suffering. Only Final Fantasy game (and I've beaten all of them, even fucking II) where I spent 90% of time just wishing it would be over.

And I most certainly understand it. Hallway simulation isn't exactly 3deep5me.
>>
File: fuck you.jpg (89KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you.jpg
89KB, 1920x1080px
>>381932261

I fucking knew you motherfucker would nitpick my words just to fit your twisted definitions, don't know why I didn't specify to avoid this shit but here we go:

Yeah there can be fights at towns (those are set pieces btw :,)) but its not the norm, it's still an open ended area where you can visit shops, use inns, talk to villagers, see them living their normal lives and all that shit.

There is NOTHING like that in XIII, none of the places you mention are towns in the traditional RPG sense, they may be PHYSICALLY towns but gameplay-wise (which is what everyone cares about) they're fucking not, because they don't have any of the gameplay characteristics that make an RPG town.

>Bohdum, Palumpolum, Nautalus, Eden, Paadra, Oearba

These are just locations. They're not open ended, they don't have shops (no faggot, the save terminal shops don't count as shops), don't have any standard interactable NPCs going on with their daily lives, in fact I believe that on ALL the occasions you visit these locations, its ALWAYS in the middle of some conflict.

Like you fucking mentioned Oerba which is literally just a bunch of empty buildings, a fucking ghost town, I think one of the characters even goes as far as to call it this.

But you're a retard who's trying to get all nitpicky "WOAH GUYS, WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S NO TOWNS IN THE GAME? LOOK! THIS IS PHYSICALLY A TOWN, THEREFORE IT'S WHAT YOU WANTED! NOW YOU'RE SATED!!! LIKE THE GAME NOW!!!"

But what it disturbs me the fucking most is your insistence in calling Taajin's tower a "town", please tell me even by your twisted logic how is this a town? There's literally no buildings inside, no NPCs, its full of monsters, and the fucking datalog itself makes no mention of it being a town

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Taejin%27s_Tower

not even the wiki ever calls it a town
>>
>>381932719
Don't forget how laughably easy bosses were that you could effectibly battle forever if they didn't cast Doom after a certain time.
>>
I think I would have liked the game better if it wasn't such a slow fucking burn.
>Alright, we're five hours in, now you can use the core part of the combat system
>Check back in twenty hours, then we'll let you customize your party and make actual choices when leveling
By the time they let off of the leash a little bit I was just done. I kinda liked the combat system, but once you figured out the pattern for the bigger fights it boiled down to "mash X, switch paradigm when needed, mash X, etc."
>>
>>381932876
My argue Kent was that critics were in love with graphics and spectacle at the expense of gameplay and systems. Kusage was still recognized as shit, obviously. I'm on mobile because my life sux, so I can't look up millions of titles, but Dragon Age II probably has a good metascore too, and at the time it was very favorable for critics to write articles that bash difficulty and gameplay in general ("fun is not enough")
>>
I've been reading playing it for the platinum, it's not a bad game just a bad FF game. Last generation was terrible for JRPGs I just wanted to play something new as I've most been playing old Ps2/DS JRPGs I missed out on.
>>
>>381931571
Dude, every save point has interesting shops to visit, it's like every save point is a town.
>>
>>381933165
>>381933352

That is LITERALLY a place people lived in. They even had lore about it. It was basically the Final Fantasy equivalent of The Tower of Babel.

>>381933525
See above about Taajin's Tower

Also, I'm picking apart your words because they don't make any sense. You are saying a town is a place where it's suppose to be safe and you don't fight. But then there are towns like in FF7-FF10 and Pokemon towns that have specific places where you CAN fight! If it was suppose to be a safe haven, then they would not have included such things. Places with save points are safe havens, not towns.

And you can use the buzzwords of set pieces all you want, but it still is factually towns.
>>
>>381932876
You know just because the lore says or implies something is or was a town at some point if it has random battles and bosses is a dungeon right? Well saying it's dungeon it's being really fucking generous.
>>
>>381932893
>speedruns are representative of a first time blind playthrough
fucking kill yourself if you're being serious
>>
>>381933646
No they were not, you are just making that shit up for the sake of having your argument correct when big named franchises were getting shit on by critics for poor games.

Few slipped through the cracks, but there were plenty of shitting on big AAA franchise games back in the day.
>>
File: never ever.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
never ever.png
572KB, 600x580px
>>381932893

>Characters dealing 99999 at that point of the game

That's literally NG+, try beating that fight in 1 minute on the first playthrough with the maxed crystarium for that point.

Also
>Trying to use a speedrunner as the actual standard for how long the fight should take
>Comments actually mention how the fight usually takes 20 minutes.
>>
>>381933869
>LITERALLY a place people live in

>This towering spire was built by the fal'Cie in ages past. While the purpose of the structure is unclear, its original height suggests that the mighty beings sought to pierce even the heavens in their insatiable quest for expansion.

No matter the reason for its construction, the tower now lies in ruin, its great spine snapped, and its crumbling interior serving as a lair for the fal'Cie Dahaka.
>>
>>381934065
Final Fantasy XIII doesn't have a new game option. That's a damage multiplier at work.
>using a speed runner as the standard
Not what was said nor what he's doing. Someone claimed that battles take too long and the system is slow. That is direct evidence of the contrary.
>>
>>381933996
How young do you have to be to defend XIII?
>>
>>381934109
It's in ruin now. Just like in other games where towns have been in ruins.

Look at Ocarina of Time and how Hyrule Castle was put to ruin when you jumped ahead 10 years. It's still a town regardless of whether or not Ganondorf ruined it or not.

Same thing with Taajin's Tower.
>>
File: 1450415518611.jpg (16KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
1450415518611.jpg
16KB, 210x240px
>>381905721
Next you're going to say Final Fantasy VIII is good
It isn't
>>
>>381933936
Even if you disregard that video, the fight shouldn't take more than 7 minutes tops with a well rounded Paradigm deck and smart use of your moves.
Go back to VIII where you spam Limit Breaks all game if Bart II is too hard for you.
>>381934065
There is no NG+ you fucking moron, kill yourself.
>>
>>381921328
No, VIII tried to mix it up but was ignored.
>>
>>381934298
I'm 25 years old dude. I lived through the entire Golden Age of Final Fantasy. I know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>381934320
You must have severe brain damage to think Taejin's Tower is a town. Even from a lore perspective, where the fuck does it state that Taejin's TOWER was once a town in which people lived in? And also, we are talking about traditional JRPG towns from a gameplay point of view, you obtuse, brain-dead motherfucker.

Where the fuck does it state it was ever a town? The text I greentexted earlier came right from the datalog, and explicitly says:
>While the purpose of the structure is unclear
and does not mention anything about towns or people living there. Fuck you.
>>
File: bald ragnar.jpg (35KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
bald ragnar.jpg
35KB, 480x480px
>>381933869

No dumbass, you're just ignoring my words because you're literally baiting and I don't even know why I'm still replying. You remind me of some other FFXIII fanboy who tried to tell people that you could totally control your entire party on FFXIII because paradigms shifts were totally the same from manually selecting a character's actions.

I fucking clarified that there can be fights in towns but its not the norm, it's very rare to have RPG towns with random encounters unless you're in the middle of a SET PIECE like the town being under attack. But generally towns ARE safe haven full of interactable stuff.

And how is the "see above" related to anything? You mean this? >>381933859

Holy shit, so basically every single save point in the game was a town to you?

I'm gonna keep using the buzzwords, because people obviously mean they wanted RPG TOWNS and you're covering your ears and saying "no! no! these are towns! look the place is physically a town! there's houses over there even if you can't enter so that means its a town and you cannot say that "the game has no towns!" because it's factually incorrect!!!"
>>
>>381934472
>but was ignored.
Because it fucking sucked.
>>
>>381933869
There are places where you can fight but the whole town isn't a glorified ghost town turned into a straight line of a dungeon. You are grasping at straws very desperately now. There isn't a single place in FFXIII where you can just chill and talk to NPCs, everywhere you go it's fighting fighting fighting and the only place where this doesn't happen only stays like that for 5 minutes before resuming the job of being a straight line with random battles and a boss at the end.
>>
I enjoyed XIII a lot and even got plat in it.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with only directly controlling one character. Plenty of people loved Persona 3's original release and it was the same way. The battle system was pretty fun, too. If it opened up faster, I think people would've been more receptive to it.
>>
>>381905721
In what way, OP? Back up your damn argument.

Both of the sequels were a lot more fun than XIII. XIII-2 had a better plot and a pokemon lite kind of monster training system. LR was hardly an RPG but was all around still more fun and had a great ending.
>>
>>381934619
No, you are the dumb ass because you are just ignoring the parts that are in the FF13 towns and yet you are ignoring the fact that FF7-10 and a crap ton of Pokemon towns are known for having battle places. It's not a safe haven if you can be hit with encounters or go into a specific building and be challenged to a fight.

>>381934694
Except you can chill in those ares too. Eden even has NPCs that you could talk to.
>>
>>381934293
Correct me if i'm wrong but wasnt there something like it? I remember reading you can kill the last boss in 25 seconds on a second playthrough, or that you need some special item n shit.

Either way, you ARE using speedrunners as a standard. I too think the battle system was too slow and we both know that it's not fair to compare a standard player to some autistic dude rushing to kill bosses in under a minute. That's just something that doesn't happen often.
>>
>>381934883

I always see people saying they liked 13-2 more, but honestly I don't get it. Noel was a boring fuck, the villain was lame, the story made even less sense than XIII, and the only good thing about monster party members was that you could put a cute hat on your behemoth. And on top of all of that, the ending is fucking DLC.
>>
>>381934481
You were 9 when Final Fantasy VII released. That game was rated T for TEEN. 13+. You don't know shit.
>>
>>381935000
>Correct me if i'm wrong but wasnt there something like it?
No, you can go back and fight Bart III, Orphan I and II but that's it.
> I too think the battle system was too slow
Then you were shit at it, fights in this game are about as fast as you can ask for with an ATB system.
>>
File: 1498032737922.png (359KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1498032737922.png
359KB, 1600x900px
>>381934298
Not the gentleman you're arguing with, but I think everyone here knows that
> The story (as presented in the game) is garbage
> The characters are shit

What we should be arguing about is whether the gameplay is good or not. We all know it's better than XV's though.>>381915478
>>
>>381934970
In like what, a teeny tiny section.
Learn the difference between a dungeon inside a town and a "town" that's actually a dungeon. And like I said before calling those straight lines dungeons is being really fucking generous, simply because I just don't know what to call them.
>>
>>381934970
I'm not going to reply to you anymore, you're obviously baiting, I swear you're probably the same guy I was talking about or some guy who tried to convince people that Ashley killing Chris in until dawn was totally justified and not the devs slipping up, its definitely the same style of trolling.

I explained how the towns can have battles in them but it's not the norm, 3 times in fact, and you keep bringing it up, circling the argument around, pointing at your obvious trolling, so I won't reply anymore.
Just gonna end the argument by saying you got totally BTFO on the Taejin tower thing where even the datalog says that NO ONE lived there.

Also, nobody lived at the tower of babel either dumbass, they were just building it to reach the heavens, it's never mentioned anyone lived there.
>>
>>381934065

>stagger is at fucking 999% at that point in the video
>DAHURRR WHY HE HIT SO HARD, MUST BE NG+

Please play games before trying to criticize them, I know you don't think anyone will call you out because everyone's supposed to hate FF13, but you look like a real chode.
>>
>>381934970
>Except you can chill in those ares too. Eden even has NPCs that you could talk to.
Eden was literally full of fixed encounters and monsters everywhere. That is not a fucking town.
>No, you are the dumb ass because you are just ignoring the parts that are in the FF13 towns and yet you are ignoring the fact that FF7-10 and a crap ton of Pokemon towns are known for having battle places. It's not a safe haven if you can be hit with encounters or go into a specific building and be challenged to a fight.
Dude, what the fuck are you talking about. Go watch gameplay video of FFVII's Kalm. That's an actual town.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ODVwsmjkk
Interactive NPCs, homes, item shops, a safe haven. XIII has none of that.

Fuck off you brain-damaged retard.
>>
>>381935054
*fucking 5 years old when VII released
You were literally a baby when IV released and starting kindergarten when VII released. You did not live through fucking anything.
>>
>>381935127

This is the problem with FFXIII fans

They truly believe that the game has no flaws, instead, it's just "shit players"
>>
>>381935365

Not that guy, but I think XIII has plenty of flaws. They just don't stop me from enjoying the game.
>>
>>381935365
I like the battle system, art direction and music, the rest is shit so I wouldn't call myself a fan per se however people claiming that battles take too long or the system is too slow are objectively bad at the game that's not up for debate.
>>
>>381935478
You know what its good you can enjoy garbage like XIII, fuck I enjoy Bladestorm and even I know that game is terrible. But I don't make my personal crusade to defend it to the bitter end and call everyone who points out flaws "casual" and "shitters".
>>
>>381935054
>YOu were 9 years old!
>You played FF7 when you were a kid
>THEREFORE YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT

Great argument there buddy, but a 9 year old can still play FF7 and still enjoy and understand it dumb ass.

>>381935261
And you are clearly trolling. You got BTFO;d

>>381935292
Except that town has the secret entrance in which is ripe with random encounters. It's not safe area if I can still be hit somewhere.

You are clearly brain damaged.

>>381935365
Dude there are shitty gamers who don't know jack shit. Look at DPS Gaming for example.

Also, I point out that the game is decent but not perfect. Sadly, you have retards like above who think there is nothing but flaws.
>>
>>381935229
>the gameplay
It's shit. Battles are rated by time and nothing else, and HP restores after each fight. It has lots of other problems, as does XV, but it's inferior to XV for this alone. XV at least has gladiolus combat to redeem it in the future PC version as a decent hack and slash.
>>
>>381935740
>Except that town has the secret entrance in which is ripe with random encounters. It's not safe area if I can still be hit somewhere.
Yes. If you step outside of a town, aka a safe haven, and enter a dangerous area, you may or may not encounter a random encounter.

Fucking retard.
>>
>>381935712
See? This is what I mean when I say "people who think there is nothing but flaws". That's exactly the problem with FF13. People like retard over here think there is nothing but flaws and don't actually play the game to see that it's a decent game with flaws.
>>
>>381935229
XIII's combat was decent but is hardly given a chance to breath and let the player experiment. I wouldn't be against it being brought back and refined in a non-shitty game.
>>
>>381935931
But you don't step outside the town in that haunted mansion. It is IN THE TOWN ITSELF.
>>
>>381935740
>a 9 year old can play
Ok, but a 5 year old (you) cannot fucking read, and a 0 year old can definitely not comprehend FF4.
>>
>>381935939
Kalm is not Nibelheim.
>>
>>381935229
Characters in FF13 are mostly good
the story is decent.

The combat is good and the gameplay is designed quite similar to that of FF10

>>381936091
Except one can still play it in 1999-2000 even if it's not the initial release date. FF7 didn't get pulled off shelves in 1997 dude.

A 8-9 year old can still play FF7 in 1999-2000.
>>
>>381936162
>>381936029
Kalm is not Nibelheim. There is no haunted mansion in Kalm.
>>
>>381935939
No it's not a decent game with flaws. Is a mediocre game with flaws that make it even worse.
>>
File: Kalm.png (379KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Kalm.png
379KB, 640x480px
>>381936312
>There is no haunted mansion in Kalm.
Yes there is.
>>
>>381936315

>It's a decent game with flaws

Fixed it for you
>>
>>381936395
>The Shinra Mansion on the outskirts of Nibelheim was the first structure built years before the town was established, and it holds many secrets of Professor Hojo's experiments. The mansion, having been in the Shinra Electric Power Company's possession for a long time, was the setting for the experiments that would become the Jenova Project.
>>
>>381936315
>>381936395
What's the difference between decent and mediocre? I thought they were interchangeable.
>>
>>381936282
>The combat is good and the gameplay is designed quite similar to that of FF10
Nigger what? What part of it is similar to X? The Crystarium? The fucking Crystarium makes the combat similar to X since it's similar to the Sphere Grid? Does that mean FFVII and Tales of Berseria have similar combat because both use EXP and leveling up system?
>>
>>381936501
Mediocre is not bad, but not good.

Decent is more synonymous with acceptable and/or satisfactory.

>>381936486
>>381936386
The mansion is located in Nibelheim, dumbass.
>>
>>381936573
The gameplay is similar (level design and how they level up)

Combat is different though. However, FF13's combat is still well put together. It has much more to offer than the legit mediocre combat system of FF12 and got mostly everything that was missing in FF12 into FF13.
>>
>>381936501
Decent is not bad, but not really good, you play it without wanting to turn off the console or the PC every 10 minutes.
Mediocre tends to be bad, maybe having one or 2 saving graces to not throw it into the garbage bin, but it certainly won't make you really want to keep playing for long.
>>
>>381936785
Mate if the combat is different the gameplay isn't similar you cock nugget.
>>
>>381936785
>The gameplay is similar (level design and how they level up)
How? Seriously, how? Really grasping at straws, man. In X, you have full control of every character and can switch party members at any time. In XIII, you only control one party leader.

>>381936798
>Mediocre tends to be bad
No, no it's not. It just means it's not very good, but it's not outright bad either. Read a dictionary.
>>
What is this autism of a thread? Lightning is BORING she literally has ZERO personality.
>>
>>381936910
Gameplay is level design, minigames, leveling up design, etc.

Combat is how you fight enemies or opponents.

>>381936987
AGAIN, LINEAR DESIGN OF LEVELS. CRYSTARIUM IS SIMILAR TO SPHERE GRID WITH GRINDING. OPEN WORLD PART DOESN'T COME UNTIL HOURS ON END.

They are similar in gameplay.
>>
File: FFXIII-2_Lightning_closeup.jpg (989KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FFXIII-2_Lightning_closeup.jpg
989KB, 1920x1080px
>>381937076
Wrong on all accounts, she's the female Cloud.
>>
>>381937076
But dude she is literally a goddess that shows her armpits. HER BLOODY FUCKING SWEATY-BUT-NOT-REALLY-BECAUSE-SHE IS-A-GODDESS-ARMPITS
>>
>>381937125
Combat is the core of gameplay, different combat different gameplay. What, are you telling me now Forza and Mario Kart have the same gameplay because you drive vehicles in circuits and sometimes you have to take a curve?
>>
>>381937390
No it is not. Combat isn't the core. Look at how such games as Mario and Sonic don't have core combat design. The core gameplay experience is the level design, the power ups and the minigames.

Combat isn't a big part of the games. That's why they are different.
>>
>>381905721
I enjoyed it. The levels were dull, but I loved the combat, music, boss fights, and the visuals were good as well. Fang and vanille are the best, by the way.
>>
File: fang-vanille-hugging-fanart.jpg (205KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
fang-vanille-hugging-fanart.jpg
205KB, 620x620px
>>381938686
Best taste.
Also best song coming through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN9ulQ2P9Qg
>>
>>381938917
>>381938686
Worst taste.

XIII-2 had better music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDPV_2_brck
Thread posts: 459
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.