[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For $15 on sale is the Steam Link worth buying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: header.jpg?t=1487179512.jpg (14KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg?t=1487179512.jpg
14KB, 460x215px
For $15 on sale is the Steam Link worth buying?
>>
>>381897882
It is, but only if your use case is appropriate for a Link. If it wouldn't be convenient and easy to set up a wired connection both ways then it isn't.
>>
Just get a console lmao
>>
What does it do.
>>
>>381898650
Lets you stream to your TV. Mainly intended to play games from Steam on your TV using a controller in your living room.
>>
>>381898650
Make you 15 dollars poorer.
>>
>>381897882
Don't use wifi and it works great.
Takes a bit of fiddling if you use wireless controllers.
>>
>>381898935
this
>>
I bought one on the sale last year with the controller. Only thing I've used it for is Danganronpa.
>>
>>381897882
If you have PC games you want to play in the living room it's worth buying.

also this >>381899253
>>
>>381898706
So its a wireless HDMI
>>
>>381899513
Wireless HDMI is fucking awful.
>>
>>381897882
I got one a few weeks ago and have a wired connection, and I have terrible ghosting issues with it. I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
Only if you have a decent internet speed and can run an Ethernet cable from your router to the steam link. Makes it easier to play co op games on the couch
>>
>>381899696
>Only if you have a decent internet speed
What the fuck does internet have to do with a LAN?
>>
>>381897882
where is it $15? sounds kinda good
>>
>>381901758
On Steam.
>>
I wouldn't recommend it, I used the NVIDIA shield which uses the same underlying technology, and even with an ethernet connection it's total dogshit.

When it actually works you can expect lag that makes fighting games, FPS, and pretty much any game with twitch-controls impossible. Even when you do find a game that plays ok - I found Fallout games work OK because the combat is so slow paced it doesn't impact much - you will have horrible artifacting, ghosting as others have mentioned, the input lag will slowly become worse, and eventually it will disconnect. Oh, and if there are issues, you get some cardio because you'll have to run back and forth between your living room and your PC to fix anything, because it's most likely on the PC end.

It's not worth the hassle even at $15.
>>
>>381902704
To add to this, the PS TV is slightly better, but suffers from these problems more profoundly, artifacting happens immediately and lag is just awful in most cases. Again, I found many games to be unplayable.

The technology for streaming video games isn't really there no matter what anyone says.
>>
>>381902704

I don't know, I haven't tried steam link but I have tried just plain old in home streaming to a laptop and I found it pretty good. I was able to comfortably play dark souls 3 and beat a few bosses, and the only thing that reminded me I was streaming was the artifacting when the screen faded to black.
>>
File: 1363449841819.jpg (62KB, 838x587px) Image search: [Google]
1363449841819.jpg
62KB, 838x587px
So I actually fucking hate Valve and Steam but last time these two went on sale I had gotten back from college and my parents had gotten a new TV over the semester, so I had been playing games on it, so I decided to get both of those because the idea of paying 25 to not have to carry my big computer down every time sounded nice and a controller that could also play PC games down there sounded nice (I tried KB+M on the coffee table and it hurt my back). I bought the Steam Controller and Steam Link. I've had about two months to use both. The Steam Link is a piece of shit but the Steam controller is actually really nice
I have really good internet, both my gaming PC and Steam Link are wired into the internet. Even if nobody is home and my computer is absolutely 100% the only device connected to the houses internet I still have to run it on the "fastest" setting (as opposed to balanced or beautiful) and it will still shit the bed once every 20 minutes or so probably (I'm not talking a quick hiccup either)

So if you live in a city that has gotten google fiber or some modern internet equivalent, and live with absolutely nobody else, you might want to consider the Steam Link, but pretty much nobody else. I pray they don't seriously offer these to Australian's because I doubt the fastest internet connection in their country could use this piece of shit

On the flipside, the Steam controller has become my default controller, and it's pretty much my favorite controller of all time now. Great piece of technology Very customizable, you can get everything to your liking. Trackpads are cool as hell, you can do a lot with them besides just camera and dpad. Using the right one for camera movement feels really natural.
They added two grip buttons to the controller and there's buttons and the bottom of the triggers that you can bind separately. You can make it so that when you press one button it changes what your other buttons are doing. There's a lot of shit Too much for one post
>>
>>381897882
Bought one. Gonna go well with playing with Steam Controllers on the couch.
>>
>>381899513
it also takes controller input
>>
>>381902704
How do you know that they use the same technology?
>>
File: ??.png (98KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
??.png
98KB, 375x375px
>>381903923
>I have really good internet, both my gaming PC and Steam Link are wired into the internet
>So if you live in a city that has gotten google fiber or some modern internet equivalent
Stop.
>>
File: 1464511187518.jpg (142KB, 800x1412px) Image search: [Google]
1464511187518.jpg
142KB, 800x1412px
>>381903923
I have to ask, how is it in a LAN setting? That's what I'm getting it for as routing wires around my apartment would be a hassle
>>
>>381903923
>So if you live in a city that has gotten google fiber or some modern internet equivalent
It's over your local area network, you Internet speed has literally nothing to do with it.

Please stop giving people advice.
>>
>>381902848
>it's better but has the same problems and they're worse
How does your mind work? Also with a proper IHS setup you can get <20ms delay, some consolefags use TVs which are much worse than that to begin with. It's not for competitive use, obviously, but anything SP is playable just fine over a wired connection and high bandwidth settings.
>>
>>381904924
I guess it can be used as for streaming over the internet although it wouldn't be ideal.
>>
I have one setup through wifi and it works just fine. Playing warframe and rocket league on it is fun and I don't really detect any input lag with a controller. At least thats my experience so far.
>>
I got one last time they were on sale. Use it all the time. It works really well, but be warned: Wifi sucks shit. Run an ethernet cable to the tv in question. I have had zero input lag, zero performance hits, the thing works like a dream.

When my wife and kid are using the tv, I game at the desk. After they go to bed or if I have the house to myself, I'm gaming on the tv.
>>
>stream Tekken 7
>doing okay for the first match
>suddenly stream becomes extremely patchy and keeps cutting out during the second

Welp.
>>
>>381904735
It only works in LAN in the first place, the guy you're quoting has no idea what he's talking about. The only part of the process which is internet related at all is logging in to Steam if you're not in offline mode. It is somewhat janky though and getting good performance out of it may require some tweaking in various places as well as a fast host system.
>>
it works good to stream to your living room. make sure your pc/wherever your desktop is, isn't too far away from your living room tv where the link will be.

It's not a bad price imo, my buddy got one brand new for 50. seems to work fine at his house
>>
>>381899513
pretty much anon.

you can use it to stream whatever you're watching on your desktop to your tv also.
>>
File: 1362877895017.jpg (103KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1362877895017.jpg
103KB, 384x313px
>>381908072
>>381904924
>>381904295
Whatever the fuck it is, I know we have top tier internet fuckshit crammed into my parents house because my dad needs it for work, and I know that both my computer and Steam Link are running through that
>>
>>381908310
>mfw you're using CAT 2 or something else
>>
>>381908310
Steam IHS literally does not use the internet in order to perform its function in any way whatsoever, so no game streaming at all is running through your internet connection.
>>
>>381898650
The same fucking thing you can do by hooking up your PC to your TV, but instead it uses a different wire
>>
>>381908310
Your router is shit, that's all. It's cool to have 100Mb internet if your router can't process even half of that.
>>
File: 1359423996399.png (201KB, 3976x3536px) Image search: [Google]
1359423996399.png
201KB, 3976x3536px
>>381908836
But I know for a fact that it is not you fucking retard.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.