[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What in your opinion are the best and worst aspects about Steam?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: serveimage.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
What in your opinion are the best and worst aspects about Steam?
>>
>Worst
DRM
>Best
DRM
>>
Best: It's pretty much the only thing keeping PC gaming alive, and has done so for years
Worst: Outdated UI, hands-off approach to moderation
>>
best: everything

worst: nothing

whiny babies complain about everything when they hear that it's popular
>>
Too many updates. Every time I launch the client I have to wait for one.
>>
>>381885180
>Best
It has a lot of games which is also a negative because the store is fucking flooded with garbage.
>Worst
Their refusal to put pretty much any effort into anything that won't earn them even more shekels.
>>
>>381885180
Good -
Lots of games available for GNU/Linux that cannot be taken away if Windows goes closed-platform

Bad -
Doesn't yet require Vulkan support from all games, and still allows games that are Windows-only.

Ugly -
Will probably get killed by Windows 10 S as a result of most games still being Windows-only which will end the possibility of PC gaming free of being held back by console makers.
>>
>>381885180
I love steam overall despite it being DRM. My only qualms with it is the lackadaisical UI and overabundance of trash in the stores. Searching tags for games you might be interested in is a chore of scrolling through shovelware after shovelware, asset-flip after asset-flip.
>>
>>381885180
>Best
good game platform
>Worst
facebook for losers
>>
>>381885180
>Best
Access to many games, you don't have to look for them at the store etc.
>Worst
It has monopoly (which is never a good thing) currently as nobody buys things on GOG and Origin/UPlay are shit.
>>
>>381885180
Worst Thing:
Eliminating Game Rating from 1-100 scoring system to Recommend/Not Recommend
>>
Who are the worst users on steam?
>Third worlders
>/r/pcmasterrace
>Weebs
>Griefers
>Furrys
>Former Xbots
>Normies
>/v/irgins
>>
File: 1476571284149.jpg (34KB, 248x348px) Image search: [Google]
1476571284149.jpg
34KB, 248x348px
Best: Japanese games are finally getting PC ports.

Worst: Ironic weebs.
>>
Steam has many indie shit games
>>
File: 1448874438193.png (218KB, 380x333px) Image search: [Google]
1448874438193.png
218KB, 380x333px
>>381887515
You forgot Kids and ERPers
>>
File: lich_by_aazure_dragon-d4631v7.png (650KB, 888x800px) Image search: [Google]
lich_by_aazure_dragon-d4631v7.png
650KB, 888x800px
>>381885180
>Best
Lot of games to keep me busy.
>Worst
Living creatures can contact me now. LEAVE ME ALONE FAGGOTS!
>>
>>381885180
The forum moderation is awful because they do it for free and there's really no good way to contact developers directly

Not to say I expected differently but it seems like a missed opportunity, every published game should have (a) contactable representative(s) bound to the game's steam forum IMO
>>
Best: has lots of reasonably priced games
Worst: you don't own them
>>
>>381885180
Best: all games on one platform (except EA)
Worst: DRM, customer support and quality controll. Those are really really bad
>>
>>381888301
>account is like 6 years
>number of friends: 0
I'm missing something?
>>
>>381889214
Tits.
>>
Anybody use a Steam Link? Ever tried non-Steam stuff? How's it work?
>>
>>381885180
They dont give a single fuck about tf2 or csgo
>>
>>381888301
There's a setting where you automatically always appear offline unless you turn yourself online manually. Have the same issue
>>
>>381888240
>ERPers
I already said weebs anon
>>
>>381885180
>best
Made PC gaming into the Juggernaut it is today. Gabe still at the helm an keeps steam from going to shit. good prices for games. Chat and voice chat are decently easy to use.
>bad
market dominance. dropping new features then never touching them. bugs out every now and again. letting unity asset flips on the store.
>>
>>381885180
>best
Fuck off. DRM is fucked up.
>worst
Yet another middleman.
>>
>>381890397
>Fuck off. DRM is fucked up.
It is, but it is literally the only reason any publisher would even consider releasing a game on PC
>>
>best
cheap and plentiful vidya
>worst
the DRM
>>
>>381886470
this is some of the dumbest shit ive heard
>will get killed by W10 S
no you fucking retard, it wont. steam is driving huge numbers to windows, if it gets killed windows will suffer a lot
>>
Steams square icons and gogs circular icons trigger my autism, but I don't know which I should hold responsible
>>
>>381885180
Why is downloading in Steam so slow when compared to services such as Uplay and Origin? I get 30Mbps (mega bits) speeds on Uplay (third world) and steam gives me 5Mbps at max. There has to be a reason, I really don't believe Ubisoft did anything to boost the speeds.
>>
>>381885180
Worst: Steamcommunity, hands down.
Best: central platform to buy vidya from
>>
>>381885180
End user licensing

If, god forbid, steam dies and gets delet, all our games go with it
>>
>>381891314
maybe the steam servers in your region are bad? or under more load from the sale?
>>
>>381891559
I've tried servers in different countries, speeds decrease. I've been downloading games through steam for quite some time and the speeds have remained the same. I've only used Uplay to get those free games but it beats steam every time, no matter when I start the download
>>
>>381891124
I assumed that post was bait. Win 10S is only going to be on sub $500 laptops for schools for the foreseeable future. It won't have any impact on steam for at least 2 years or more
>>
>>381891314
Try changing servers, I remember I had problem downloading a game and someone on the community forums said to change server to Finland, after doing that I downloaded at pretty much my max dl speed even though I'm all the way on the other side of EU.
>>
>>381891458
This is the big one. I make sure to pirate every single game I buy there that I like enough to want to play at a later unspecified future.
DRM's a bitch.
>>
File: 74601348134.png (234KB, 516x842px) Image search: [Google]
74601348134.png
234KB, 516x842px
>>381885180
Best aspects:
Convenience
Community features
Prices

Worst aspects:
Reduced sense of ownership
Community
Lack of quality control
>>
>>381891458

It's much worse with consoles, PS3 is abandonware now
>>
>>381892031
I've switched servers in the past but they're also as shit as my own country's, I'll try and switch around to farther ones but I don't think it'll be that drastic a change
>>
>>381885180
>Good
Popular, mainstream, pretty stable (except sales), wide library, sales used to be excellent, now they are less so

>Bad
trading cards/badges, who thought it was a good idea? It'd be fine if you got the first badge on the house. Paying for even level 1 is ridiculous. Worst of all, profile customizations are tied to this system.
>>
>>381892412
>Worst of all, profile customizations are tied to this system.
Fucking this. It baffles me that you have to pay money to use basic features like your profile or, at the beginning, to add friends
>>
>>381892289
???
PSN on PS3 works fine
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.