[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was it so perfect?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

File: 376645-doom_alt_boxart.0.0.jpg (183KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
376645-doom_alt_boxart.0.0.jpg
183KB, 1280x720px
Why was it so perfect?
>>
>>381863971
But it's shit.
>>
People spent 2 years working themselves up that it was going to be shit. This is what happens when you shit on games before release. You get pleasantly surprised when it's decent.
>>
>>381863971
It has hardly any competition. Look at the other recent single player shooters. It was a breath of fresh air because everything else in the genre is shit nowadays.
>>
>perfect
>when it can't even reach the standards of the classics
But lemme guess, the gwafix wus swo pwetty?
>>
>>381864448
And what exactly didn't you like?
>Fast paced
>Full selection of cool weapons
>Brutal gore
>>
>>381864448
But that's where you're wrong; because Doom was my second game after Duke Nukem

try again; also the graphics weren't the point; it was the gameplay
>>
>>381864349
To be fair though, it stands out as good by not being like any other recent FPS trend.

I forgot how much I missed health and ammo boxes, powerups, and just fun gameplay without trying to give me a cinematic narrative experience.
>>
>>381863971
It could have been better

>arenas
>new revenants
>all fights feel the same because of a combination of enemy reworks and the player being ridiculously agile
>new revenants
>weapons not properly balanced around fallback/standard/power weapon dynamic, mostly because of how ammo works now
>NEW REVENANTS
>>
File: IMG_20170624_013332.jpg (53KB, 595x629px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_013332.jpg
53KB, 595x629px
>>381863971
I loved it op, it was just what i wanted, i didn't touch multiplayer at all though, i just wish the budget for that shit could have gone into more single player content.
>>
>>381864567
I didn't mind the introduction of a melee key but hated that I would glory kill. I hate how you get so much health back from killing enemies. I hate how glory kills is the best way to get ammo because they didn't want to put them on the map so much. I hate how it's mostly walk to arena, fight enemy wave, walk to next arena and maybe fight like 4 enemies along the way. I hate the limited number of enemies. I hate the map design, could use more puzzles or just more places in general to not make it so linear. I hate how the damage powerup makes you glory kill when you melee and the time on powerup runs out cause you're stuck in the animation. I fucking loved using fists when I got berserk in the classic. I hate the weapon/armor upgrades, completely useless shit that doesn't belong in Doom. Map editor sucks, no mods, no wads.
>>
>>381863971
It wasn't "perfect", but it was easily the best single-player FPS of the decade.
>>
>>381864187
This. I was fully expecting the game to be ass. 30fps on consoles, aim assist, health regen, ADS, the works. The actual game not only avoided all those things, it was actually good on top of that, so it felt really great to be proven wrong.
>>
File: Doomguys rage.jpg (51KB, 527x466px) Image search: [Google]
Doomguys rage.jpg
51KB, 527x466px
>>381865160
>Playing on normal
There's your problem, normal is piss-easy
>>
>>381865358
I wasn't playing on normal, nice assumption though faggot.
>>
>>381865160
The worst part about the ammo pinatas is how it fucks up weapon balance. You can't have a rocket launcher actually feel powerful when it's ammo is coming from the same source as the fucking basic shotgun. Everything is either basic or BFG with no gradient.

At least the SSG was kind of okay.
>>
File: IM FUCKING INVINCIBLE.jpg (118KB, 584x622px) Image search: [Google]
IM FUCKING INVINCIBLE.jpg
118KB, 584x622px
>>381865421
>I wasn't playing on normal
Were you playing on easy then?
>>
>>381863971
Non intrusive 'story', very little interruptions to gameplay.

You can customize your gameplay somewhat with the weapon mods (which are meant be used in combos).

AI that is smart enough to navigate terrain and pursue you.
>>
>>381865358
Literally nothing he said relates to any particular difficulty. It's not like he said that every glory kill instantly refilled everything.
>>
>>381863971
Good game, pretty well executed.

The glory kills feel shoe-horned in to me, and take away from the satisfaction of killing an enemy (after about 30 minutes of glory kills, it gets really old). It doesn't seem as impactful to blast an enemy with a shotgun or a rocket just so they get sleepy for a few seconds. I just want them to die outright.
The game feel is great, and the guns are pretty fun to use (remote detonated rocket launcher is satisfying to master, but who really used the plasma rifle?)

The heavy leaning on arena fights is the real killer to me. I miss the exploration/hallway clearing/trap trigger crawls of the originals.

People think the original Dooms were all about SPEEEEEED GOTTA GO FAAAASSST but they really weren't. They were about careful movement interspersed with frantic circle strafing. The two components need eachother and new DOOM lacks the former.
>>
>>381864080
fpwp
>>
>>381865783
I dunno man, going for a glory kill at the wrong time on Nightmare can and will get you killed pretty quickly.
>>
>>381865485
Yeah once I got the SSG I only used that and the rocket basically. I like how in the classics I would use every weapon cause of ammo.
>>381865783
Literally everytime I say something remotely bad about d44m the response is how I'm playing at some shitter difficulty. Everytime without fail.
>>
>>381865485
>>381865160
Also I think they kinda dropped the ball with balance, HAR and plasma rifle become nearly completely useless endgame because Gauss and Gatling are simply superior and some weapon mods are wayy better than others
>>
File: screen02.png (863KB, 1194x747px) Image search: [Google]
screen02.png
863KB, 1194x747px
>>381863971
its fun

people shitting on glory kills don't understand game design for shit. it forces you right into the combat so u cant pussy foot around using cover like a faggot and it totally fits the brutal badass feel of Doom. also gives a slight break inbetween holding shoot/dodging, and ALSO gives u a new mobility option to use tactically when u get the distance perk and ALSOOOOO using timing on glory kills/saving weaklings for health gives u new combat choices - old doom was all about priorizing targets in combat arenas (kill hitscan faggots whilst dodging fireballs, then hit imps) and the glory kill shit just drives that home further.

10/10 game, no complaints. haven't touched snapmap yet either but it looks awesome for co-op map making with ur pals

best game i played in a LOOONGGG time, cant even remember last time i wanted to do a game on the hardest mode then go back on nightmare straight away. looks/feels/sounds fucking beautiful as well
>>
>>381866543
>u cant pussy foot around using cover like a faggot
You totally can with a Gauss cannon
>>
>>381866703
wat difficulty? you get smashed by those runners, or run outta ammo...

only way i could do it was keep moving and keep killing

iron sights perk seemed entirely useless to me and only to appease COD babbies desu
>>
>>381866881
I played on ultraviolence
>iron sights perk seemed entirely useless
Because it is, if you're not using Siege mode you're doing it wrong. 1shots everything that isn't mancubi or barons and has a gigantic AoE
With Rich Get Richer and the "armor on glory kills" perk it becomes absolutely ridiculous.
Pinkies are problems when there isn't a place to funnel them, and most of the time there is.
>>
>>381866543
>people shitting on glory kills don't understand game design for shit. it forces you right into the combat so u cant pussy foot around using cover like a faggo
Literally anything but regenerating health does this.
>>
>>381866543
>it forces you right into the combat so u cant pussy foot around using cover like a faggot and it totally fits the brutal badass feel of Doom

You've never played the original Doom games.
Corner peeking is a huge part of the gameplay. Doom is all about switching between careful and frantic. The new Doom is all just lazy arena fights.
It IS a good game, but it's not good for the same reasons that the original Doom games are good.
>>
Just bought this on sale. Holy shit I'd forgotten what it was to just have nonstop fun in a game. Getting into these huge fights with metal blasting, constantly running, jumping, gunning. So pure.
>>
should I get nu-Doom or devil daggers?
>>
>>381871567
Both are gud
>>
>>381871713
that didn't answer my question
>>
>>381871567
Devil Daggers. nu-Doon is shit
>>
>>381871713
this

nu-Doom is entertaining, get it if you can get a good discount

Devil Daggers is great for a little bit until you hit the wall and never play it again.
>>
>>381871784
Because it's a bad one
Both are good shooters, one is 5x as expensive and we don't know anything about your preferences
So DD by virtue of being dirt cheap
>>
>>381863971
It's shit, they fucked up the most basic things that make an fps game good in favour of some kind of tailored "epic rip and tear experience" which all the redditors gobbled up without a second thought
>>381866543
>don't understand game design
you are the one that doesn't understand shit and just regurgitate the fucking PR line defending that broken garbage
>>
File: 1463304393451.png (196KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1463304393451.png
196KB, 557x605px
>>381863971
It's not perfect, but it's very close.
>>
>>381865935
> I like how in the classics I would use every weapon cause of ammo.
I mean, you don't get enough ammo of any particular kind to use one weapon exclusively, even two is difficult unless you're very stingy, which you really can't afford to be.
>>
>>381866004
I disagree on the plasma rifle and gatling gun. The plasma rifle's energy discharge is very good for immediate clearing of several enemies right in front of you, and I felt like that gatling gun was just a bigger HAR, just couldnt kill quickly enough compared to the gauss or super shotty.
>>
Just like most posters, I feel that glory kills could go. I did stray away from them as I progressed through the game (either stuff dies too quickly or I don't have time to go finish it. Ultraviolence), some mods are really bad, maps could use more spread out enemy placement. I still like it overall. I'm on the slow side with playing new games, so for someone else it also scores points as good new fps. Definitely good, not perfect though.
>>
>>381873003
you can easily as enemies spew out health and ammo when glory killed especially if you are low on either and there are plenty of pickups as well
the game is a joke
>>
>>381867873
Unless they specifically have some sort of mechanic that rewards you with health for being in combat in some way they really dont.
>>
>>381873207
Scoped Headshots with a fully upgraded HAR Scope is the highest DPS in the game though.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170615-124959~2.png (1MB, 1049x784px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170615-124959~2.png
1MB, 1049x784px
Better than half life 2. Fantastic campaign and deserves to stand along side the originals. Anyone who doesn't agree should probably take a break from gaming because you're either burnt out or simply don't know shit.
>>
>>381863971
sadj;
>>
>>381873272
Even when glory killed they don't give a lot of ammo of any particular kind. Once you get Mancubi, it really is impossible to stay on only one weapon.
>>
>>381873207
>>381866004
Is gatling gun good? Finished chapter 7 for now and gatling seems like a waste of ammo. I guess it's okay as a way to blow excess ammo (ammo rune for double drops helps), but HAR has much higher damage per shot.
>>
>>381873335
Doesn't matter, the split seconds and focus it takes takes to actually aim at the head of anything other than an mancubus or baron isn't worth the high damage. You need to be constantly moving and rapidly switching targets and trying to scope and headshot enemies works exactly counter to that.
>>
>>381873473
I was specifically referring to Nightmare, on Normal, and Hard to a lesser extent, all the weapons are pretty good so you don't really need to min max about it too much. When push really comes to shove, though, like I said, I prefer the more immediate killing power of a siege gauss shot or a super shotty double tap.
>>
>>381873782
I'm on UV. Yeah, SGS is ridiculous and shotty is nice for flinching, but between switching weapons to save ammo and for plain diversity I still use bullets.
>>
I liked how every weapon has an explanation:

>Shotgun
Used for Security personal.
>Heavy Machine gun
Was the previous standard weapon for Soldiers
>Plasma Rifle
Standard issue for soldiers
>Rocket Launcher
A weapon shipped to Mars to further develop it
>Super Shotgun
High Ranking security officers like older model shotguns
>Gauss Canon
Used to clear away rocks mostly
>Chain gun
Used to defend hallways if demons get out of their cages
>Pistol
Given to every employee if they are 2nd tier advocate
>BFG
Developed using demon energy
>Chainsaw
Some jack ass brought it up with them

I also like how Summoners are the evolution of Imps.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.