[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just bought this /v/. What am I in for?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: Planescape-torment-box.jpg (41KB, 404x502px) Image search: [Google]
Planescape-torment-box.jpg
41KB, 404x502px
Just bought this /v/. What am I in for?
>>
a masterpiece that triggers ADHD kids
>>
>>381844102
bad vidya
even worse fiction
>>
File: pst.png (87KB, 741x592px) Image search: [Google]
pst.png
87KB, 741x592px
>>381844102
>>
>>381844852
great game tho
>>
Rev up that journal chief
>>
>>381844102
Torment. It's in the name.
>>
>>381844102
The best written video game ever, I recommend saving a lot and trying out different dialog options if you don't intend to play through it again.
>>
>>381847775
>I recommend saving a lot and trying out different dialog options
Doesn't everyone do this even when they do multiple playthroughs?
>>
>>381844102
Great game, shame about that combat though.
>>
>>381848632
>combat
Is this kind of like Spec Ops the line where the story is what matters and the gameplay is tacked on as an afterthought?
>>
>>381844102
words
>>
>>381844102
A game where every little mechanic and rule standard is justified with well written lore.
>>
>>381849224
There's more to the gameplay than combat, but the combat does blow
>>
File: Baldr150.jpg (39KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
Baldr150.jpg
39KB, 540x405px
>>381849224
It's an infinity engine game, so fundamentally the combat is great. It's the encounters and the moment to moment design that doesn't work.
>>
>>381844102
Really good party members and world
Shit combat
>>
Was thinking of buying this myself.

Is this Avellone's best writing? My only other experiences with him are Ulysses, Durance and grieving mother. Ulysses is shit, Durance was pretty good and grieving mother was nothing.
>>
>>381849590
>Ulysses, Durance and grieving mother
Who or what?
>>
>>381844102
I know people are gonna fucking hate me but these old d&d games are only fun if your into d&d.
>>
>>381849916
Baldur's gate 1 got me into D&D.
>>
>>381844102
UPDATED MY JOURNAL
UPDATED MY JOURNAL
UPDATED MY JOURNAL
UPDATED MY JOURNAL
>>
>>381850031
I would say you are the exception not the rule especially with bg1 because thay game was made to replacate the d&d experience more then to be a fun game.
>>
>>381850292
And the D&D experience is fun.
>>
>>381850548
In bg1? Can't say that I agree. I feel like bg1 is a fucking chore to get through
>>
>>381850620
>He fell for the BG1 meme
There's a reason why everyone talks about BG2.
>>
File: turkey heart.png (144KB, 267x254px) Image search: [Google]
turkey heart.png
144KB, 267x254px
>>381844102
Is this type of game series (Torment, Baulders, ect ect) like Disgaea and shit where skill doesn't actually matter at all, and all that matters is how much you've grinded/how much you've killed? I like game where I can be challenged fairly, not because my numbers just weren't big enough to win, even if I made all the right moves.
>>
>>381850958
Torment is 99% not fighting things and just talking your way out of pretty much everything
>>
File: Ulysses_profile.jpg (359KB, 900x643px) Image search: [Google]
Ulysses_profile.jpg
359KB, 900x643px
>>381849868
>Ulysses
This faggot from fallout new vegas. Lot of people hate him as he constantly rambles on about BEAR AND BULL, BEAR AND BULL, two factions in the game, NCR (bear) and Caesar's legion (bull). Also comes off as really pretentious. Constantly acts accusingly towards the player while also stating he doesn't blame them.

>Durance and Grieving mother
Both party members in pillars of eternity. Durance is a angry priest with a pretty interesting back story, calls his goddess a whore all the time, essentially was one of the 12 dudes essentially made a magic fucking nuke called the godhammer that was used to kill a god.

Grieving mothers a midwife and cipher (mind powers) who just acts really weird, not of a obsession with kids and is kind of boring compared to Durance. Avellone also got pissed about that because he wrote far too much shit and they had to cut a lot from the game.
>>
>>381844102

A VERY VERY bad hd remaster because you were too much of a dumb nigger to just pirate the GOG version and apply a widescreen mod
>>
>>381850957
But bg2 is only better because your playing with a leveled party. I think the infinity engine games are all really over rated.

If someone asks me what pc rpg to play I tell them neverwinter nights. It was made with being a fun video game in mind
>>
>>381850957
>>381850620
BG2 feels so soulless compared to BG1. Maybe it's just because I've been playing a shitload of old ass PC games recently but every time I see a mechanic that 2 streamlined it makes the game feel more hollow to me.

>>381850958
>Is this type of game series (Torment, Baulders, ect ect) like Disgaea and shit where skill doesn't actually matter at all,

That's the exact opposite of how they work. One of the most popular ways to play them is to do solo runs, in a game type designed for parties.
>>
>>381851525
So, would I be able to win this game without levelling? Like, on skill alone? Like Dark Souls or something? Or would there be any point where it would be literally impossible?
>>
>>381851647
If by skill you mean coming up with some crazy ass combination of items, then applying proper tactics, then yes. Remember this is D&D. Items are more than just modifiers. Which is something more games could learn from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6a6uCpFAXY
>>
I like icewind dales setting and combat focused modules. Feel like bg1 and 2 was a glorified d&d book
>>
File: Annah-Planescape.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Annah-Planescape.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
Best companion.
>>
A pretty good book, but a mediocre at best videogame.
>>
>>381852495
>not the succubus priest chick
>>
What are other games like Planescape Torment?
>>
Does the Enhanced version change a lot from the original game? I've heard that people didn't like the changes in the enhanced version of Baldur's Gate.
>>
without just greentexting quotes or claiming it was 2dee4me can anyone actually explain why the writing in this game was good? like what is the main theme of the game? "torment" gets brought up like twice, but is never really explained. a common theme for a lot of characters is that they regret their past, but the game doesn't seem to treat this as the main theme. then there's the whole "belief is magic" shit which is literally something out of a cartoon for 6 year olds. that can't be what everything thinks is amazing is it?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.