[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will JRPGs get good again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

File: 1475432698980.jpg (891KB, 1107x900px) Image search: [Google]
1475432698980.jpg
891KB, 1107x900px
When will JRPGs get good again?
>>
>>381840858

When you won some taste in games fucking edgy faggot
>>
>>381840858
wait a second....

aren't these artworks for the same game
>>
The sad truth is JRPG fans are killing JRPGs. Everyone knows at this point, you just need a bunch of pretty anime pictures to sell to these faggots. They don't seem to care much for gameplay or sense of adventures. Just make me run down some hallways to trigger an anime cutscene with my waifu, is what they're asking of their games. No better than faggots that want cinematic walking simulators.
>>
>>381842021

Yeeeeeeeeeeeep. For every actual effortful JRPG that gets put out now there's a dozen of low budget cash grab sexy waifu games with piss easy gameplay and generic "muh despair" plotlines that are maybe entertaining to 12 year olds. They all but frown on any sort of complexity in storytelling or things that might confuse or put off the retarded waifufag audience. I'd say the Japanese audience and weebs are killing a lot of things to do with Japan's input into entertainment though. When you literally only give a shit about one thing and nothing else matters....well here we are.
>>
>>381840858
I bet you type are the ones that always blame "moeshit" and waifufags for your market being small. Guess what, it's not our job to support your interest, that's your job. Stop crying like a bitch about popular things and blaming them for the fact that most people don't care about your shit.
>>
It's the same game
>>
>>381840858
>implying they ever were
Weebshit is garbage.
>>
>>381844131
this. pretty much
>>
>>381841413
>>381844114
that's

the

joke
>>
>>381844283
Thanks Mcbain
>>
>>381842021
JRPGs back in the day used anime pictures to sell. Are you forgetting that the characters in Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest were designed by Akira Toriyama? It's just that the style of JRPGs changed when anime became much more sanitized and clean.
>>
File: 1465317269411.jpg (20KB, 235x300px) Image search: [Google]
1465317269411.jpg
20KB, 235x300px
Top jrpgs people unironically still look forward to here:
Tales
>implying bandai namco makes anything other anime shovelware
Final Fantasy
>implying Square Enix can make good games
Persona
>implying Atlus will ever into anything ambitious ever
>>
>>381845656

Character design has always been an aspect of things. The fact that people get excited over a game just because it has some anime tits but shitty dime a dozen trope characters and lackluster gameplay isn't helping matters much. The ironic weeb thing feels like if it's winding down it's only slightly too due to more people realizing just how stupid and unrewarding it actually is. You can only go so long deluding yourselves into thinking you aren't getting reiterations of the same old crap with the same old character designers and stale decade old gameplay systems with zero challenge or skill involved. Being dumb or even ironically dumb just isn't actually cool.
>>
>>381846123

>persona 5
>not being ambitious

No, nintentoddler. Making 2d games from fug old ips doesn't make your platform decent. P5 itself has more quality than the entire switch-wiiu library
>>
>>381840858
I haven't played many JRPGs recently. I find the 'random' battles to be nothing more than a tedious chore so I only look forward to boss battles and only if the gameplay features a significant amount of strategy. So I've gravitated towards TRPGs over the years. I also like a few games that really capture the adventure aspect well by giving the player a great deal of freedom in exploring the world and building characters.

I play a lot of older games and I have plenty on my backlog but right now I feel like playing something with decent visuals and cute anime girls. Do you think I'd find FFF entertaining? What's the battle system like?

I like Tsunako's art more than Amano's.
>>
>>381846419
>brings console war BS for no reason
Would you like me to post my collectors edition?

The fact that you can think P5 is ambitious and not just the same shit Atlus has been doing for ages now is fucking hilarious. Literally ripping out features from their other games and putting into their new one isn't ambitious.At least SE tried, but the result was not so well received.
>>
File: Princess Minerva.jpg (171KB, 702x702px) Image search: [Google]
Princess Minerva.jpg
171KB, 702x702px
>tfw JRPGs will never be THIS good again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lEFNgZovBQ
>>
>>381846950
>Do you think I'd find FFF entertaining?
maybe. Just get FFF Advent Dark Force. Not FFF

>What's the battle system like?
a more polished version of Neptuina's battle system
>>
Buy more SMT, they reprinted the ps2 games.
>>
>>381842021

t.edgy teen who likes berseck an "mature animus" likes you

kys faggot
>>
File: romancing saga minstrel song-j.jpg (60KB, 500x710px) Image search: [Google]
romancing saga minstrel song-j.jpg
60KB, 500x710px
>>381846123
>>implying Square Enix can make good games
They do.
>>
>>381842021
>Just make me run down some hallways to trigger an anime cutscene with my waifu, is what they're asking of their games.
The ironic weebs you meet on here who have 17 neptunia games on steam with an hour each are not an accurate representation of "JRPG fans". People seethed for ages when FFXIII turned out to be a hallway simulator.
>>
>>381842776
>sexy waifu games with piss easy gameplay and generic "muh despair" plotlines that are maybe entertaining to 12 year olds.
this is basically what nier automata
>>
>>381848113
I've never played neptunia, is it similar to Trails?
>>
>>381849146
Yeah.
>>
>>381849146
no
>>
File: 1498440712596.jpg (917KB, 1107x900px) Image search: [Google]
1498440712596.jpg
917KB, 1107x900px
Im glad JRPG's have finally become respectable and not just dumb pandering.
>>
Reposting desu

The fundemental problem of turn based JRPGs is the fact that one can simply grind at any time to bypass a challenge, whether through money/item grinding or level grinding. Similarly, there may often be enemies that CANNOT be defeated without grinding due to level jumps or other instances of poor game design, ultimately making the game far less skill dependent. If you've fought every enemy along the way to a boss but still get devastated by their inflated stats, it results in periods of forced grinding, arguably taking away from immersion in the game.
For example, Pokemon HGSS between the final Johto Gym and the Elite 4; while technically doable without grinding, the massive jump between Clair and Lance is huge, particularly since most players likely wouldn't even have more than two party members above level 40 post-Clair, assuming they've been trying to keep a balanced party.
Are there any games of this genre that manage to do away with these issues?
>>
Anime ruins everything. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>381849648
>The fundemental problem of turn based JRPGs is the fact that one can simply grind at any time to bypass a challenge
Unless it has battle and event ranking.
>>
>>381849648
>Are there any games of this genre that manage to do away with these issues?
Romancing SaGa 2, 3, SaGa Frontier, Unlimited Saga, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song, The Last Remnant.
>>
>>381849648
U wot m8

Most of us beat HGSS no-grind years ago. Just because you are awful at Pokemon doesn't make the game flawed.
>>
>>381849648
The same issue applies to JRPGs with action combat.
If you missed a single weapon upgrade in Ys Origin you would do 1/10 of the damage you're supposed to be doing to a boss.
You can technically still beat the boss the difference in the amount of time required is insane.

In Kingdom Hearts you can just grind for 50 Hours in one World and be set for the rest of the Game.

It's just a part of any RPG with stat based progression not directly tied story.
>>
>>381849648
Isn't that RPG 101? You can just grind in western RPGs too unless they have that stupid level scaling shit.
>>
>>381849648
A lot of newer JRPGs have figured out how to space leveling so that it's more controlled. For example, Kiseki has a system where monsters give you experience based on the level difference between you and then. Leveling up can halve the amount of experienced gained, so grinding is fruitless, and you have to face bosses at the challenge level you are at, and being under leveled is quick to break out of, because you get more experience. This can be emulated simply by designing to be less grindy by spacing levels out enough.
>>
I like anime games. They actually require a bit of thought instead of fps shooters.
>>
>>381840858
Final Fantasty 16 willl be even more action based.
>>
>>381850047
Why are JRPG fans so autistic and need to continually grind?
>>
Now I'm only saying this as a SMT first timer but Persona 5 was really damn good.
>>
>>381849648
>The fundemental problem of turn based JRPGs is the fact that one can simply grind at any time to bypass a challenge, whether through money/item grinding or level grinding.
The fact that you can deprive yourself of challenge by spending a massive amount of time doing unnecessary repetitive bullshit isn't a design flaw.
It's extremely difficult to avoid opportunities to grind in open-world games of any sort; even in something like Elder Scrolls with scaling enemies, you can still choose to tediously boost/equip yourself up to the point where the enemies are a joke at pretty much any point in the game. It's better to just allow players to play the game in a retarded way than try to stop them with mechanics.
>>
What is the best JRPG series that is still good right now?
>>
>there actually exist people that think today is better then before
Is all hope lost?
>>
>>381846950
Sounds like you'd like Persona 5. No random battles, also albeit dungeons are pretty linear, Tokyo is pretty big and has a lot of things to do. You got a lot of frredon in the VN part of the game.

I'd still recommend SMT IV 1+2 over P5 though, its got way more meat in terms of storyline and lore (if you are into that), gameplay is more tactical and there's more demon variety. Battles aren't random either. One of my favorite JRPGs.

My favorite is Digital Devil Saga hands down though.
>>
>>381850931
Most SMT titles are worth your time. If you don't mind PS2 go with Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2

If you got 3DS get SMT IV 1 & 2 and Devil Survivor 1 & 2.
>>
>>381846419
Are you saying P5 is ambitious?

Good joke, anon. P5 is a great game but ambitious? No.
>>
>>381850543
Explain why
>>
>>381851771
I'm not so sure I'd like P5 since I disliked P3 & P4. And I don't have any recent consoles so I can't play it.
SMT Devil Survivor is my favourite megaten game so far, and I liked Strange Journey despite a couple issues. I'll play SMT IV one day.
>>
File: zil face.png (74KB, 171x182px) Image search: [Google]
zil face.png
74KB, 171x182px
>>381846419
>>persona 5
>>not being ambitious

>the same shallow gameplay
>the same "LET ME EXPLAIN EVERYTHING AT LEAST FIVE TIMES" writing
>>
>>381853660
Fps shooting is mostly reaction time and reflexes, jrpgs you can actually sick around on your turn to figure out the best risk/reward.

Oddly enough the newest Neptunia does this well since a lot of enemies can just ohko your characters. So some walling and defending is needed.
>>
>>381846419
>old ass ips
Says the fucker who's propping up Persona, which is part of the SMT series and has been around for 25 years. And even then, the Persona games started in 1996, 21 fucking years ago
>>
I liked FF, I hope it CH realizes they have another series besides Nep.
>>
>>381846419
>nintentoddler
where did that even come from? what does that post have to do with Nintendo?
>>
>>381840858
>When will JRPGs get good?

Fixed
>>
>>381857564
It has been a long time since they have.
>>
>>381840858
When they bring back world maps.

The loss of world maps in exchange for baren open worlds really killed a lot of the "adventure" aspect of jrpgs.
Back then we had an entire planet to explore, and now that everyone wants to ride the open world train we only get small portions of land.
The world maps of FFVII and Xenogears may have not been the most detailed, but they gave players a sense of wonder and scale, they made the game's setting feel that much more larger but didn't sacrifice the quality of the world.

If FFXV had an overworld like FFIX or Type-0 instead of barren wastelands then travelling wouldn't be as annoying.

>>381849648
>The fundamental problem of turn based JRPGs is the fact that one can simply grind at any time to bypass a challenge, whether through money/item grinding or level grinding.
JRPGs give you the option to grind, but that's the easy way out.
JRPGs are about playing smarter not harder, if you mess around with equipment and attack combinations 99% of the time there's a way to beat a boss without going out of your way to kill 100 grunts first.
>>
>>381859738
>JRPGs are about playing smarter not harder, if you mess around with equipment and attack combinations 99% of the time there's a way to beat a boss without going out of your way to kill 100 grunts first.
Not if the boss auto kills almost everyone with a single attack. I remember in Final Fantasy IV DS I fought the CPU and it one shotted both spell casters before anyone could act and would kill everyone else quickly after. Couldn't put any sort of buff to reduce damage or anything, just out right damage wall.
>>
>>381846419
>Persona 5
>ambitious

In what way?
>>
>>381845656
Why does JRPG HAVE TO BE associated with anime style though? Not complaining here btw. It is just so strange to me how they pretty much almost never deviate from this fact.
>>
>>381860725
In the past tons of JRPGs would have Anime OVA projects tied into their promotions.
The anime art would be used alongside whatever artist was working on the series to advertise.
Also anime and vidya in Japan have generally been pretty closely tied together.
>>
>>381861832
>Also anime and vidya in Japan have generally been pretty closely tied together.

Yeah but today you have plenty of genres the Japanese make and there is variety in them. Not JRPG's though. For some reason they are more anime than ever before.

Or I guess as you said earlier they are a more cleaner style of anime that is popular these days.
>>
>>381840858
When Y's VIII comes out
>>
>>381849648

the fundamental problem is that the actual combat is often shit and boils down to using one rotation over and over, only changing it up to use a different attack to target a different weakness or guarding when the boss starts charging
>>
>>381840858
i think like those things that people call jprgs now aren't really the same genre.
>>
>>381862147
Just to clarify quickly I'm just this poster>>381861832
not this anon>>381845656

Anyway I'm not too sure about what he meant with the comment on more refined anime aesthetics, but here's what I do know.
Anime sells, especially to otaku, that's pretty much it. I mean there's also the fact that it allows for characters to express emotion while not wasting time on extremely complex realistic models.
But it's really just super prevalent in Japanese pop-culture so it leaks over into gaming.

I still can't really place why it's become mainly attributed to JRPGS though, outside of the OVA stuff in the 90s-2000s.

A lot of Japanese concept artists, character designers and mecha designers seem to use anime stylization even if they haven't worked in the medium, but that is probably due to their environment.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.