[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heavy Rain plothole

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: Scott Shelby.jpg (36KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
Scott Shelby.jpg
36KB, 600x300px
So, since this guy is the killer in Heavy Rain, why the fuck do we spend the whole game listening to his thoughts and not once have him mention the fact that he's the killer? It's not like he doesn't know he's the killer
>>
>>381807112
He's a really good actor.
>>
>>381807112
The reason is David Cage is a hack.
>>
>>381807112
Heavy Rain plothole.

Ethan has origami on him so often that even his therapist got one off him. This is literally never explained.
>>
Almost like David Cage is a hack
>>
To keep Face op.
If you want noone to suspect you, you gotta keep the act as best you can.
>>
>>381807112
There isn't a good explanation. QD just didn't want us to know he was the killer until the reveal, and also didn't want to scrap the thought hearing mechanic
>>
You're a dummy OP
>>
>>381807258
Acting for who? the person playing the game? How would he know they are there?
>>
>>381807112
If the goal was to find a devoted dad, why would he try to kill the awesome dad and not himself?
>>
It's almost like David Cage is a hack who has never wrote a good story.
>>
>>381807349
Both this and OP's bit about Shelby's thoughts can probably chalked up to a last minute change to the story and they didn't have enough time left to close all of the plot holes.

When's QD going to make Omikron 2 anyway? You know, the only real game they've ever made before moving onto interactive films.
>>
>>381807112
Shelby's episodes are him backtracing his steps like a detective to make sure he didn't leave loose ends. Him not mentioning he's the killer is the story nessesity.
How about I give you a more obvious plothole:
When Shelby's mom reveals to reporter the identity of origami killer she's all surprised and gasping with her mouth open... which makes no fucking sense because she never encountered Shelby and doesn't know him.
It's the player who is supposed to be shocked.
>>
File: Friday-Jason07.jpg (136KB, 1466x824px) Image search: [Google]
Friday-Jason07.jpg
136KB, 1466x824px
does anyone have that article not long after the game came out that went into detail about how Heavy Rain broke every rule you're supposed to follow in a mystery story?
>>
>>381807349
Ethan's shit is way more of a plothole. The stuff with Scott can just be explained by him being unreliable narrator, but Ethan having those visions of drowning kids and ending up with origami is just there to make player think he is the killer.
>>
How about the fact that he kills an old antique shop guy while you're controlling him, that's the wierdest part.
>>
>>381807112
They really fucked up when they decided to cut everything paranormal out of the game. The whole mental connection thing, Ethan wandering unconsciously near construction site and having origami on him make no sense without paranormal thing.
>>
>>381807480
It's Method Acting. He's not just pretending the be Scott Shelby P.I he's gone the whole way and become Scott Shelby P.I Which I think is a trait of sociopaths and such.
>>
>>381807408
The only way it could make sense is if the whole thing was his own accounting of things that happened previously, like he's telling the story.

That would explain why he bullshitted the clock shop and painted ethan as the killer.

The ending sequence could be the end of the story telling and the conclusion is real.

But hey, david cage is a hack regardless.
>>
>>381807873
It was suppose to be some physic link to the Shelby and explained in the DLC. But due to Motion Control being added, it was scraped.
>>
Why does this game still get more shit than Life is Strange when it's better in every way?
>>
>>381807112
it's almost like characters are allowed to lie to the reader in murder mysteries or something
i think some hack fraud named agatha cristie pioneered the culprit narrator
>>
>I will let your kid go if you survive my trials
>Tries to kill you anyway after you survive
>>
>>381808195
Because it's fucking shit
Just because it's better than another piece of shit doesn't change this
>>
>>381807769
https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/dreamkin/blog/heavy-rain-story-review/56951/

>The cause seems to be a genuine lack of knowledge about the genre. David Cage simply writes as a fan of mystery stories who doesn't really get how great mystery writers actually make their stories work. Instead of making research into serial killers, perhaps it would have been a better investment to make research into mystery literature.

David cages asshole status: Torn.
>>
>>381807715
Reporter chick probably knows about a lot of these private dicks since they are all trying to go after the same people she does.
>>
>>381808251
>Killer turns out to be okay with killing and not wanting to be catch.
>>
>>381808251
That's because Ethan discovered Scott was the killer.
>>
>>381808195
Because they're both bad and LiS gets away with it for its A E S T H E T I C
>>
>>381807112
Heavy rain is actually a good game. I enjoy that it's well fleshed out and genuinely offers a good amount of choice, both in the regular gameplay but also structured into the trials including character death. There's a few dumb red herrings but I can forgive them, and the game has a good share of thrilling moments even if it has no overall message or takeaway. There have been far worse big budget high concept games.
>>
>>381808195
One is a $20 arcade game that said "hey, we'll tell you a story about teenagers and time powers."
The other proposed that it was the end-all of mystery games and cost $60.
>>
>>381807873
You can't claim unreliable narrator when you are literally listening to the character's thoughts and playing as them. They aren't telling you a story, you're experiencing firsthand what they're experiencing.
>>
This guy is easily the biggest psycho in the game before you find out the truth. He shoots up a whole fucking mansion full of guards by himself like he's a fatass John Wick
>>
>>381808693
The game also blatantly lies to you in the scene in Shelby's story where he literally kills someone by bludgeoning him with a cash register and neither the player nor the hooker notice.
>>
>>381809056
But if you succeed in wiping away all the fingerprints you get the Perfect Crime achievement
>>
File: heavy-rain-1260106446.jpg (156KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
heavy-rain-1260106446.jpg
156KB, 1200x675px
>>381807112
That didn't really bother me. The thoughts he had didn't really mention who the killer was, so it didn't feel like an outright lie.

It did bother me that he randomly tried to kill Ethan after he passed all his trials and proved that he was a self-sacrificing father though.
>>
>>381808384
>>381808374
But if Ethan is the only person who makes it to the warehouse Shelby gives Ethan the gun and asks Ethan to kill him. You, as the player, then decide whether or not to execute Shelby.
>>
>>381807112
You don't see him thinking about murder because he doesn't. It's like how you're not allowed to stop and see your character's thoughts during action sequences.
>>
>>381810497
Yeah, that makes more sense as a finale.

But with all the other characters involved I guess they wanted a more climactic finish.
>>
Short answer: Cage = Hack
Long answer: David Cage is a hack that never made a good game OR a movie.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.