[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Melee should be 3 stocks because...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 15

File: Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_box_art.png (151KB, 250x349px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_box_art.png
151KB, 250x349px
Melee should be 3 stocks.

pros:
>saves time
>shortens game length even with 8 stock timer.
>tournaments could run 3 stock Best of 5 in the same amount of time a 4 stock Best of 3 tourney runs
>puff gets more aggresive on last stock/opponents last stock so the puff vs floatie or spacie matchup goes by faster
>Ledge grab limit is solved because of reason above
>able to play in all stages so variables by stage picks are less drastic and shows true skill
>if street fighter matches can last less than a minute than melee players can take 1min avg off their 4 min games which are already tiring as fuck
>most matches are decided by the third stock anyway
seriously go look at any match right now
>although twitch is cancer less game time=easier to watch= equals more viewers=more players=more money

4 stocks is an arbitrary number picked because 5 was too long and the 4 stock rule was decided when gimps happened every 10 seconds. 4 is arbitrarily too long for the new meta especially with more defensive play being a prominent feature for the meta.

cons:
>less skill maybe Idk not really though because the better player should win anyway.
>>
Yeah no
>>
>>381804169
But why not?
>>
>>381805404
You are reaching with a lot of those points
>>
File: 1457876408866.jpg (50KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457876408866.jpg
50KB, 480x480px
>>381805632
4 stocks is objectively too long and ruining the game.
>>
>>381807026
Then you're arguing for a shorter time limit. You're saying 8 minutes is too long. No game ever goes beyond 8 minutes regardless of stocks, so your argument is in favour of shortening the maximum length of a game because you feel that it is too long. Lowering stocks only lowers the minimum length of a game.
>>
>>381803875
Fuck no
>>
File: 1469900238653.png (232KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
1469900238653.png
232KB, 370x370px
>>381807508
>Then you're arguing for a shorter time limit.
who said the time limit had to change? If honestly prefer 3 stock 8 minutes.
8 minutes ensures camping is less of an "optimal" strategy.
>>
>>381803875
>we're thinking of changing the rules a little so we should entertain completely overhauling them
I hate this meme
>>
>>381807882
>who said the time limit had to change?

You did. You said 4 stocks is "too long" but stocks don't determine the maximum length of a game of Melee in competitive setting, the time limit does. Stocks determine the minimum length of a game. If you have a problem with games going too long, then the solution would have to do with the time limit. If you are concerned with game not being long enough, then the solution would have to do with the stock count.
>>
>>381803875
>competitive party games
No thanks
Timer is best ruleset because it means all players get to play the full length of the match
>>
itt: people who irrationally hate change
>>
>>381808320
Changing something just to change it does not mean it will be good.
>>
Melee entitlement at its best in this thread.
>Things can't change because it just "feels" right

Pokemon stadium should be banned as well considering it is a fox favored stage and transformations cause many problems such as infinites, randomly falling through the stage, and other fox benefits.
t. fox main

Another thing I wanted to point out is that melee is a primarily defensive game with over 90% of characters being floaties. Floatie vs Floatie matchup already take forever as is.
>>
>>381808553
Could you point out anywhere in the thread where
>Things can't change because it just "feels" right
was said?
>>
File: 1446482381377.jpg (33KB, 461x417px) Image search: [Google]
1446482381377.jpg
33KB, 461x417px
>>381808116
>Stocks determine the minimum length of a game
So more games ending at the theoretical minimum time limit still results in theoretical time saved.
>>
>>381808484
>>381808957
and any other time any smasher or TO suggest a ruleset change. At royal flush people were already pissed about a 7 minute ruleset. Same thing with evo and best of 3. Rainbow cruise and Kongo jungle being banned had outcry as well.
>>
>>381809058
Which is not what you were talking about. You were saying that games went too long, and so stocks should be lowered, which objectively doesn't follow.
>>
File: meleepepe.jpg (34KB, 462x327px) Image search: [Google]
meleepepe.jpg
34KB, 462x327px
>>381808553
>over 90% of characters being floaties

in the top 12 characters, there are only 5 floaties

puff
peach
IC's
samus
Luigi

no one gives a shit about the other characters at competitive level.
>>
>>381809621
are marth shiek pikachu and Dr mario not considered floaties?
>>
File: meleebestbuy.jpg (87KB, 544x537px) Image search: [Google]
meleebestbuy.jpg
87KB, 544x537px
>>381809948
they aren't fast fallers but i wouldn't consider any of them floaties
>>
>>381809948
They're not floaties. They're mid weight characters. Semi-floaty would be the most accurate assessment of where they fit between floaty and fastfaller as they don't fit into either category truly. Additionally; the trademark characteristic of a floaty is that they're extremely hard to juggle. Marth, Sheik, Pika, and Doc are all extremely easy to juggle outside of a few matchups.
>>
>>381803875
Why don't you take this shit to Reddit with the other melee keyboard warriors where it belongs? No one there has ever been to a tournament either, and they also like to overreact at everything hbox does, and suggest poorly thought out ruleset changes. You'd love it there.
>>
>>381803875
Tournaments already generally end on time within the context of Melee's competitive scene. Shortening it to 3 stocks would do nothing for the game aside providing a better chance for a weaker player to sneak out a win due to the lack of needing to play through one more stock.
>>
File: MeleeYoshiBreakTheTargets.png (1MB, 1143x855px) Image search: [Google]
MeleeYoshiBreakTheTargets.png
1MB, 1143x855px
>>381809565
Here's another question then.

If we want stocks to depend on skill then why don't we up the stock count to 5, after all that gives a better representation of skill correct? Because apparently to most people playing the game isn't about time saved then.

I'm not trying to stir shit, I just wanted to see people's opinions on stock change in response to LGL and tournament time problems. I believe changing the stock system could potentially solve that problem and simultaneously boost the growth of the community.
>>
>not 99 stock with only pokeballs on high
>>
This may actually be the most cancerous Smash Bros related thread I've seen.
>>
File: Woah.png (156KB, 360x271px) Image search: [Google]
Woah.png
156KB, 360x271px
>>381810842
Oh that's right, I forgot 4chan isn't about game discussion but about funny memes, Sonnyggers vs Nintentoddlers, and 2b ass threads.
>>
>>381810964
>If we want stocks to depend on skill then why don't we up the stock count to 5, after all that gives a better representation of skill correct?

How is five stocks a better representation of skill than 4? You'd have to present some data that there's a disparity in results between the same two skilled players with 5 vs 4 stocks.
>>
>>381810964
5 stocks would be an objectively greater assessment of skill. As would a best of 7 as opposed to best of 5 or best of 3. 4 stock (and by extension best of 5 stuff) is merely implemented since it's both fairly long compared to 2-3 stock alternatives and yet quick enough to complete in most cases such that it won't drag the tournament out beyond necessary time constraints. It's simply the greatest amount that's feasible to pull off in a tournament setting.

The only reason that smash 4 is at 2 stocks is because their games run 4-5 minutes as is and therefore a longer game just isn't plausible if you want to complete everything within a weekend.
>>
File: 1494240532349.jpg (342KB, 600x719px) Image search: [Google]
1494240532349.jpg
342KB, 600x719px
>>381808320
What did you fucking expect these are melee faggots

Literally every fighting game fanbase moves on to the next game but melee fags. Gonna be hilarious when this game dies next year
>>
>>381810964
This would be fine for most matchups except for floaty dittos with characters that are hard to edgeguard, so puff/peach/samus pretty much. I wouldn't even care if all matches were 5, except floaty dittos are like 3. It would still result in the best player winning, and save time.
>>
>>381811493
Maybe because normal game developers don't massively fuck up the core fundamentals of their games.
>>
File: 1414547305611.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1414547305611.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>381811493
you could have moved on to another thread, but you chose to stop here just to bitch and moan about people talking about video games on a monogolian video game discussion board

why?
>>
Move on you fucking faggot. Melee sucks and you know it.
>>
>>381811493
If they are too autistic to stop it seems at odds with the game dying don't you think?
>>
>>381811679
Then you don't know which are the core fundamentals of Smash Bros. Being a neckbeard playing Fox on Final Destination only is not the way Smash Bros is meant to be played.
>>
File: 1497294496028.jpg (147KB, 500x730px) Image search: [Google]
1497294496028.jpg
147KB, 500x730px
Why is Smash the only series where /v/ will defend developers dumbing down the gameplay by removing mechanics?
>>
>>381811493
That's why people are jumping onto the next MvC instead of jumping at the DBZ game right? Oh wait.

Fact is: In terms of Melee, there isn't anything that plays like it aside maybe Rivals of Aether which is in itself a wholly distinct game. This is why it lives on. People love how it plays and no other game even within its own series plays remotely like it. Ultimately, continuing to play Melee as opposed to Smash 4 is the epitome of voting with your wallet.
>>
>>381812229
>implying I even play fox
>>
>>381811382
It's clear that you're overreacting to the recent timeouts (3? Hbox/chu, m2k/chu, m2k/westballz) and trying to fix an issue that isn't really present. You would know this if you ever attended tournaments, which I don't think you do. No one at /r/smashbros does either, so I think you would be better off circlejerking there. Super dope response though. Because I definitely mentioned console wars and memes.
>>
>>381812271
I honestly think it's just occasional marketers coupled with the usual shitposting. It's easy to hate on something for persisting if it's perceived as an anomaly by every standard metric and it's equally easy to mock it if it has as unusual of an origin as Melee does in terms of competitive games.
>>
File: clipartsmash.jpg (162KB, 756x1056px) Image search: [Google]
clipartsmash.jpg
162KB, 756x1056px
>>381812271
>>381812338

This. /v/ likes to shit on melee really hard just because "hurr durr autism" but then has a circle jerk about Diablo 2, fallout new vegas, or any other game where the sequels were worse

makes no sense.
>>
>melee player logic
>I play this old ass game because it's fun, I don't care about big N's opinion
>sure I would play PM if it released instead of brawl but it's just not official
>>
>>381813041
>implying
I only play melee because more people play it
rest of the time I'm rocking that PM and nintendo can suck my dick
>>
>>381812410

>It's clear that you're overreacting to the recent timeouts (3? Hbox/chu, m2k/chu, m2k/westballz) and trying to fix an issue that isn't really present.
I'm reacting to other people reacting to want to ruin the game with something as arbitrary as an LGL. This isn't fucking brawl. We can do better.

>You would know this if you ever attended tournaments
I do. I understand that ledge camping isn't an issue as I have never even encountered it at anything I've ever went to but what I'm trying to suggest is actually at least an issue of minor relevance to the scene. Whether you want to partake in the topic is up to you.

>Because I definitely mentioned console wars and memes.
I was being facetious. I was just implying that it's actually is easier to talk about video games there than here because 90% of boards these days are shitposts. Name two other threads where the OP is as active with the game discussion or memepost as his topic let's on before completely ditching the thread?
>>
Smash is a fucking disease. It spread like a plague too in the recent years.
>>
>>381813041
>Implying I like Project floaty fest auto combos
You know somethings fucked with that game when Puff's recovery isn't even the best. I think the way Armada and Leffen described the way the new characters was good. The dev team basically had a everybody needs everything mindset. Everyone has a good recovery. Everyone has a guranteed combo throw. Everyone has a kill throw. Everyone has fucking everything.
>>
File: 1496870354062.jpg (27KB, 487x453px) Image search: [Google]
1496870354062.jpg
27KB, 487x453px
>>381812809
Marketers that's why
>>
Weight and floatiness aren't the same thing.
>>
>>381815001
holy hyperbole batman
>>
Reminder ICs did nothing wrong.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
http://www.strawpoll.me/13285074

Okay post thread poll since it's not going anywhere anymore.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.