[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Xenoblade Chronicles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: ku-bigpic1.png (877KB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
ku-bigpic1.png
877KB, 970x546px
Why did people go so crazy over this game 5-6 years ago? I'm playing through it right now and I honestly can't see what's so mindblowing about it.

The story and characters are entertaining and the production values are pretty good, but my problems with the game are elsewhere.

>Characters feel like they're gliding/sliding on the floor instead of running
>Really bad camera
>Shallow battle system that doesn't change much from hour 2 onwards (Break, Topple, Daze and maybe throw in a Chain or two here and there repeat x10000)
>Most combat in the game consists of just spamming your skills as they come off cooldown
>Clunky menus
>Shallow character growth system. Only 3 stats, very limited skill trees that allow for no real customization
>Stats in the game are also badly designed. A monster just 2 levels above you has a huge advantage over you due to how badly they fucked up stat growth. This makes the game's balance extremely polarizing where (generally) if you overlevel just a little bit you'll blow through the game without even trying, and if you're underleveled even a little bit you'll get wrecked.

Everything related to gameplay feels straight out of a shitty, early PS2 JRPG. Why did this game get such a big pass from reviewers?
>>
no one wants to talk about xenoblade?
>>
I think you already know the answer. The game's strengths are pretty clear.

>at least above-average story
>amazing setting
>interesting, one-of-a-kind environments
>interesting things to find, with reasonable experience incentives
>visions of the future are a fun feature of the battle system
>great soundtrack
>great voice acting

Many of your complaints are legitimate, but you'd have to be blind not to see why this game is well-liked.
>>
I haven't seen anyone really praise the battle system that much, it's serviceable but nothing spectacular. The praise comes from the world design and the openness, mostly. Understand that we were coming off of Final Corridor XIII.
>>
>>381792361
Pretty much this. It was worth a playthrough, and is leagues above garbage like Bravely Default... or really any RPG released on the 3DS, but I don't see myself replaying it.
>>
>>381790758
Go back 5-6 years and look at what other JRPGs were coming out.

Xenoblade, especially since it wasn't being localized, was elevated to a position because of how everything else was really bad.
>>
>>381792361
no one criticized the game for its flaws though. many people just said omg best game ever 10/10 and completely glossed over all the glaring flaws.

to answer the OP: xenoblade came out at a time where we didn't have much in the way of good traditional jrpgs. the game definitely got overhyped because of this.

it's still a good game though, i had fun with it.
>>
>>381790758

Because any Nintendo exclusive get praised here no matter how shity they are.
>>
>>381790758
Some of your complaints come from only controlling Shulk. It's always spammy to play, but changing can at least give you some variety.
I fucking hate the story. It's way too bloated for its own good. Everything starting from mechonis onward is shit.
>>
>>381790758
>A monster just 2 levels above you has a huge advantage over you due to how badly they fucked up stat growth
this I disagree with. I'm guessing you're pretty early on in the story but the further you get the less levels matter.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.