[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have decided to buy 1 (ONE) meme early access survival game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14

File: forest.jpg (127KB, 859x615px) Image search: [Google]
forest.jpg
127KB, 859x615px
I have decided to buy 1 (ONE) meme early access survival game on the steam sale and have narrowed my choices down to these two contenders.
Which is the better game anons?
Pls respond.
>>
>>381776934
Tough call because they're good in different respects.

Forest if you want more fighting action and base building. Exploring caves and settlements with clues and monsters around.

Long Dark if you want to see how long you last in a frozen wasteland, dodging wolves and bears as you try not to starve or freeze to death.
>>
>>381776934
I can vouch for The Long Dark. I've put alot of hours into it, and I feel like it's great. It's an example of a successful EA game. Hinterland did a great job with it.

Can't say anything for forest. Haven't played it.
>>
i have the long dark, its a more realistic survival, id get the long dark
>>
Long Dark gets boring quick, you'll like it for a week tops and then never ever play it ever again

Forest is a buggy piece of shit that spawns and despawns enemies in around a perimeter from you
>>
>>381777562
>>381777635
TLD is fucking cancerous le weddit garbage. It's fucking shit.

OP. Get Forest. It's much better, and isn't some meme ea fucking piece of shit garbage like TLD.
>>
>>381776934
The Long Dark is absolutely fantastic. It's one of the few survival games where it actually feels like SURVIVING is the challenge and that the main enemy is just the world itself, rather than wild animals, crazed mutants or zombies.

The Forest is still good, but with the base building and the fighting hordes of things that want to eat your flesh, it's nothing we haven't seen done a dozen times already. I'd pick The Long Dark every time.
>>
>>381776934
I got both because I love these stupid meme games. I'd say The Forest if you want more action. Long Dark if you want more survival. I've played a lot of these EA Meme survival games and these two are near the top. I know Long Dark has pushed out a lot more content recently. Both devs are pretty good at keeping patches coming whether it be for bug fixes or content.

It all comes down to this: Do you like base building and setting up traps to stop attacking cannibles or scavenging to survive as long as possible in the Cold, White North of Mapleland.
>>
>>381777828
>The Long Dark is absolutely fantastic. It's one of the few survival games where it actually feels like SURVIVING is the challenge and that the main enemy is just the world itself, rather than wild animals, crazed mutants or zombies.

This. I've died more then a few times because hunger or cold have driven me to take risks and I either died to the elements/wildlife or the resulting sickness/injury after them. It's a tough game for the right reasons.
>>
>>381777438
This. Long dark is more about the scrounging for food part of survival. The Forest is spoopy horror with caving and base building.
>>
>>381777739
The reason TLD gets 'boring' is because survival is not about minute-to-minute action; it's the slow burn that kills you.

Most 'survival' games are really about the combat, as the major threat to you is the bad things, which can kill you in seconds, if you let them. In TLD, there's no zombies or shit, so your biggest threats are starving, or freezing. It's much, MUCH more gripping because of that.

>>381777794
Excellent analysis there, fuckboi. Care to tell us WHY The Long Dark is such garbage? Other than it apparently being liked by some people on Reddit? Fun fact: someone on Reddit probably likes YOUR favourite game too!
>>
>>381777794
shut up shill, the forest is a buggy piece of shit amd an awful game
>>
OP here thanks everyone, I've decided to go for the long dark. I'll probably pick up the Forest on the next big sale when I've had my fill.
>>
>>381776934
why not conan exiles? lots of building, exploration, combat, leveling/rpg elements and single/multiplayer options

also a huge patch coming soon enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YfGDS4D0Jk
>>
FUck both off and do Subnautica.
>>
>>381778274
good game but it has some wierd libtard agenda>>381778274
>>
>>381776934
I think The Forest is more fun, especially with a friend. I've put in a ton of hours playing and starting new games. It's a beautiful and relaxing environment, at least whenever tribal cannibals aren't around. The creators update every other weeks.

The Long Dark is one of the best survival games I've played. It is very hard to survive, and you will not be doing any exploring, you'll just be struggling to keep warm enough and not starve to death.

Your choice what kind of game you're wanting. Both are great but they're very different.
>>
My vote is The Long Dark, I fucking love that game to pieces
>>
File: 1494540220227.jpg (15KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1494540220227.jpg
15KB, 400x400px
>>381778095
>Care to tell us WHY The Long Dark is such garbage?

It would be my pleasure.

1. Early Access. Hinterland never pushes updates, and virtually hasn't touched the game since EA release with the exception of some poor UI updates with a 'le spin wheel'.

2. Bugs. Bears and wolves constantly come through your House and kill you.

3. Items glitch through the snow/ice constantly.

4. Weapon glitches. Find a rifle? Well good luck, because the ammunition is glitched. That means you can't use the fucking rifle.

5. Bugged cold. Go into some areas and you freeze and die instantly.

6. Food is constantly glitched. Find food? Won't help you, because the food is glitched.

7. fire glitches. Can't keep warm.

8. Bears and wolves leap across the map and kill you.

9. day/night cycle is constantly fucked. Only get two minutes before nightfall, so can't go explore.

The Long Dark is casual cancerous fucking shit, and is only bought as a gag gift or as a meme.
Hinterland made a few million off of it and dumped it, just like every other shitty EA release.

If you ask about the glitches, the cancerous fanbase is always, ''hurr well its early access hurrr''

tl;dr: The Long Dark is like DayZ 2.0 with more glitches and more bullshit.

If you buy or recommend this game, you are casual fucking garbage. Period.
>>
>>381778448
Oh come on can't we have one thread without politics bullshit
>>
File: 1492183527047.png (1MB, 3126x1813px) Image search: [Google]
1492183527047.png
1MB, 3126x1813px
>>381778620
this
>>
>>381778095
Long Dark gets boring because you can become self-sustainable after like three playthroughs once you figure out where infinite water is.
>>
>>381778620
This is literally not true
None of this is correct, what fucking game were you playing?
Also it hasn't been abandoned there was an update like a week ago
>>
>>381778620
So you're just bad at the game and blame it on 'glitches'. Okay.

>>381778745
And then you samefagged. Nice.
>>
>>381778849
i haven't even played the game and i instantly spotted that he's lying
>>
>>381778095
> defending reddit
Disgusting. long dark is a grind game. it's garbage.
>>
>>381778620
None of these things has ever happened to me
What the fuck are you talking about? It seems like you're making shit up just to shit on the game
>>
>>381778448
>good game but it has some wierd libtard agenda
No, it does not. The left wing agenda thing has been attributed to the game based on some pretty pointless and questionable personal statements of one of the developers - they weren't even really left-wing, they have been only anti-violence and pro-gun-control, which is not the same as being leftist. Also, those claims about how the weapons were not included due to authorial dislike for unregulated guns and violence in general were immediately and contradicted by other members of the same team, who claimed that the decision was purely mechanical and motivated by the ambition to introduce more indirect and unusual problem-solving mechanics and direct use of guns felt boring and overdone to them. Their point was further proven by the fact that the game does not actually shy away from violence and killing, it just does not want to make it too easy to achieve for the player.

Everything else is just /v/ being bunch of fucking retards and overacting and projecting as fuck. Acting like the real tumblerinas, people decided to interpret every single aspect of the game as part of some fictional left-wing agenda for absolutely no reason. It's silly, stupid and annoying and proof of /v/ becoming more and more exactly what they once hated.
>>
>>381778985
I don't think you even know what grinding is, because TLD doesn't have grind
>>
>>381778921
> point out glitches
> oh hurr you're just bad at the game! you have to work around the glitches hurr
Sorry, Hinterlandfanboi, But for $40 I will not be working around any glitches.
>>
I said I would buy the forest when it left early access

4 years later here we are
>>
>>381779083
The game isn't 40 bucks though
Is this some shitty bait where you pretend to be retarded?
>>
>>381778620
i've never played any of these games and i'm not interested in starting to, but this post is hilarious
muh glitches
>>
File: 1497958975287.jpg (24KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
1497958975287.jpg
24KB, 600x449px
>>381778620
I thought as much. I knew it was too good to be true. Another EA shit pump and dump

Dodged a bullet. won't be buying.
>>
>>381776934
I played both a while ago and The Long Dark felt a lot more like a complete and focused game, while forest felt really unfinished, directionless and lacking focus.

Maybe something has changed ever since, but from reviews and impressions of other people, it seemed to me that my old impression was correct, and that TLD is consistently staying on point and doing much more focused and polished job, while Forest kinda still wobbles around not knowing for sure what it wants to be. TLD felt like it's a game worth 20 bucks those two years ago already. Forest certainly did not. But again: outdated impressions so take it with a grain of salt.
>>
File: 1497567715458.jpg (6KB, 151x233px) Image search: [Google]
1497567715458.jpg
6KB, 151x233px
>>381779392
> The Long Dark felt a lot more like a complete and focused game
>>
>>381778620
>>381778745
>>381779347
>>381779459
Christ, can you be any more obvious?
>>
>>381779459
Care to explain why you think otherwise, or will you just be further flooding the discussion with painfully obvious lies and bullshit because attention?
>>
>>381778620
>33 hours played
>Literally never encountered a single bug
And the rest can be attributed to you being shit. Git gud.
>>
>>381779557
just ignore him he thrives on attention. Starvation is the key.
>>
>>381777794
hello plebbitor
>>
>>381779653
>Starvation
>One of the main ways TLD will kill you
>Also the main way to kill the cancerous liar who shitposts about it
Oh the dramatic irony.
>>
is the only thing to do in TLD to just survive? Is there no story or progression whatsoever?

Just walking simulator with survival mechanics? Games like that are honestly fucking awful
>>
@381778620

(You)s don't count when they are your own replies
>>
>>381779837
>janitors are bears in this analogy
>>
OP here - what difficulty should I start with? Is Pilgrim difficulty too easy because I don't want to have no challenge but I also don't want to have my titties bitten off by a wolf on my attempts to learn the game
>>
>>381779972
The first part of the story is coming on release this fall.
Sandbox mode will always be better though.
>>
>>381779972
>Is there no story or progression whatsoever?
I'm pretty sure they were working on a story-mode, but I'm not sure if it's released yet or not. The idea was to nail down the survival elements before they even begin tackling some form of narrative.
There is also a form of progression, that comes from the fact that the environments are largely hand-crafted, and a lot of your chances for survival come from repeated playthroughs where you memorize the environment and thus gain better chances. I think they also considered the option of unlocking new maps as rewards for surviving for certain time in the older ones, but I'm not sure if that ever got implemented.

>Just walking simulator with survival mechanics?
You have absolutely no clue what the words "walking simulator" mean, do you?

>Games like that are honestly fucking awful
Why?
>>
>>381780098
You should play once on the easiest difficulty and explore at least one area fully when wildlife won't be glued to your ass. Once you think you're familiar enough with the game's basic mechanics drop that run and start a new one on a proper difficulty.
>>
File: 1493920107806.gif (3MB, 660x520px) Image search: [Google]
1493920107806.gif
3MB, 660x520px
>The Forest is STILL in Early Access
godamnit
>>
>>381780098
Go with Voyager. Without a bit of challenge the game swiftly becomes a bit dull. You have plenty of ways to fend off the wildlife, such as flares, fire and just plain running your ass away. The animals are FAR from the most dangerous thing. Start in Mystery Lake and be prepared to die a couple of times before you get your bearings.
>>
>>381780313
I changed my mind. Instead I'm just going to do 2-3 playthroughs on Easy until I get the hang of it. I googled it and found out how to get infinite water so I should be good.
>>
File: Activates your almonds.png (134KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
Activates your almonds.png
134KB, 666x666px
>>381778448
>game can't have actual weaponry because retarded nu-male developers think this will stop school shootings
Hmm...I wonder if any game is going to not add vehicles as a statement to stop mudslime trucks of peace? At least TLD has some fucking weapons, and that game is being msde by leafs.
>>
>>381780336
That sounds like too much work. I want to be able to kill things easier so that I can find infinite water faster. Thanks
>>
>>381777794
not an argument
>>
>>381779076
this
>>
>>381780469
>Every 'survival' game ever
Oh hey, I have the most kickass weapon in the game! Now the previously dangerous predators are no worry at all and I'm going to prepare a bit before I go hunt the really big shit for sport!

The fact that your most dangerous tools in Subnautica are mostly for distracting the big nasty fish long enough for you to GTFO means that you actually stay engaged through the entire game, as opposed to just eventually getting to the point where everything is trivial.

Not everything has to have a political agenda behind it. Sometimes, game developers make a decision because (here's a shocker) they think it will make the game better!

>>381780654
>Picks the game more about survival in a harsh environment and where every encounter is meaningful mostly because there's a good chance the wounds will kill you well after whatever attacked you has fucked off or died
>Immediately takes the easiest possible difficulty rather than the one balanced to be challenging without being masochistic
Are you SURE you want to play a survival game? If you just want to see some trees, there are such things as forests you can visit IRL you know...
>>
>>381776934
My only issue with TLD is how your guy is always thown down on the ground like some bitch in every wolf attack, gets really annoying. Granted I've never been attacked by a wolf so I don't really know how strong they are but TLD wolves are about the same size as your average puppy, wish there was a new grapple where the wolf locks onto your arm or leg instead of constantly keeling you over.
>>
>>381780336
Alright thanks senpai, do the maps themselves affect difficulty as well - just as some of them say "good map for beginners" or what not, or is it more just down to the difficulty level
>>
>>381777438
this.

Forest is supernatural scary.

Long Dark is natural unnerving. It's not scary, shits just hard.
>>
>>381781157
Please give me some credit anon, that was clearly the same retarded troll with his "Muh glitches" list and not me
>>
File: 27-tom-jeopardy.w710.h473.jpg (59KB, 670x447px) Image search: [Google]
27-tom-jeopardy.w710.h473.jpg
59KB, 670x447px
>>381778620
this never happened to me.
>>
File: 1492309133304.png (398KB, 636x351px) Image search: [Google]
1492309133304.png
398KB, 636x351px
>>381779837
*tips*
Go back to Reddít.
>>
>>381780254
'walking simulator' ergo see the sites bullshit with no gameplay or progression.

'survival games' that don't have any other meaningful gameplay other than 'find shit', 'don't die' are derivative garbage because they give you literally no reason to play them
>>
>>381777794
What are you even trying to say? Use grown up words.
>>
Anyone play Osiris: New Dawn?
>>
>>381781326
What a shame Hinterland didn't add any spooky supernatural easter egg things like a Windego or Sasquatch, I mean you are in northern Canadian wilderness as the last human alive.
>>
>>381781748
FPS are also walking simulators. You just click your gun at things until they're dead and you complete the game.
>>
>>381781748
>first person shooters that don't have any other meaningul gameplay other than "shoot shit", "don't die" are derivative garbage because they give you literally no reason to play them

>'Racing games' that don't have any other meaningful gameplay other than 'race cars', 'don't crash' are derivative garbage because they give you literally no reason to play them

>'Puzzle games' that don't have any other meaningful gameplay other than 'solve puzzles', 'don't give up' are derivative garbage because they give you literally no reason to play them
>>
>>381776934

I can't talk about the Long Dark but I generally hate survival games but the Forest in co-op with 5 or 6 m8s was one of the best vidya experiences I've ever had. It didn't grip me on my own but trying to figure out the story and the real sense of exploration as we made our way through was fantastic.

If you've got friends you can bring along, play it. If not, fuck it off, Long Dark sounds better solo.
>>
>>381781338
This is /v/. I honestly cannot tell the idiots from people actually posting sincerely anymore. Please forgive me.

>>381781229
Mystery Lake is the traditional zone to start in. Plenty of resources at first; fairly easy access to the majority of survival tools; lack of really nasty predators; forgiving terrain... The theme throughout the game is that no area will sustain you indefinitely without some risk, so eventually you'll have to move on, but Mystery Lake is a great place to start.

They've added new stuff I've not yet tried out, like using charcoal from a burned-out fire to draw a map of what you can see; throwing stones to stun rabbits to eat; quartering kills to butcher when you're back in your shelter... Stuff like that.

When sneaking, I'm not sure if it helps, but stay downwind of the wolves, whenever you can; their sense of smell is their strongest tool for finding you and turning you into dinner.

And I don't know if this is too faggy for you; but keep a journal of weather and what you did that day. It really helps with the immersion, I find. Plus, if you copy it into word or something, you eventually compile an organic list of Dos and Don'ts.
>>
File: TheLongDark_Farmhouse[1].jpg (417KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TheLongDark_Farmhouse[1].jpg
417KB, 1920x1080px
>>381781934
Aren't other humans in the pipeline? It would be funny if you encounter Bigfoot and it's just some crazy wildman.

I guess to save it from going paranormal, your character could go a bit mad and hear things. Pic related creeped me the fuck out even though I knew the game has no ghosts.
>>
>>381781934
Not the last guy alive anymore; come August, they're finally going, "We're feature-complete, here's the story mode and people to talk to!"

But yeah, it would have been nice to go full native and start making little totems and fetishes to ward off evil dreams, or encourage good hunting.
>>
I don't want to help you ruin your life
>>
>>381781748
You are so fucking dumb it actually physically hurts.
No, walking sims are games with minimum interaction, minimum or no higher-level mechanics and little to no actual fail-state mechanics. Most walking sims are actually extremely strongly story-focused and often very, very directed and linear experiences (see Dear Esther, a game that basically got that term coined). The idea is that you engage with the game because you want to uncover more of the actual narrative content, without the game having actual mechanical incentives to do so.

As for you demanding "more of a reason to play them", jesus fucking christ, are you twelve? Do you need people to specifically invent reasons why to engage with mediums you like because you yourself can't? Are you braindamaged? God dammit you are a fucking, fucking retard.
>>
>>381781949
non-competitive FPS are shit. Its the competition element that make them worth playing

>>381782097
racing games ARE shit. you enjoy going around in circles for hours on end?

Puzzle games are at least engaging mentally, but they usually fall short. Games like the talos principle and portal are overrated by try-hard intellectuals. Actual puzzle games are more difficult than the bullshit you get through video. Play chess nigga

>>381782545
walking simulators are exactly what I stated they were. You walk around looking at the environment for no other purpose than some pseudo-intellctual bullshit. Abzu is trash, dear esther is trash, all of them are trash

I gave you my opinion on why i thought said genre was bad and you proceeded to sperg out uncontrollably. Who's the child again?
>>
>>381783245
>non-competitive FPS are shit. Its the competition element that make them worth playing
Holy shit you are one fucking delusional retard.
God. What makes you think anyone fucking cares about your fucking reasoning about this. Do you even fucking listen to yourself?

NOBODY CARES that you don't like these games. Nobody cares that you arbitrarily decide entire fucking genres are worthless because you yourself don't understand what makes them fun.

And equally, nobody cares about your special snowflake definitions and terminology. You are wrong, and your terminology is based on "what I don't like", not "what is the thing like".

You should actually probably see a fucking shrink. This is delusion of quite worrying magnitude, there is something actually seriously broken about you. Fuck off and don't pester us until you have sorted yourself out and learned to act and think like an actual human being.
>>
>>381783245
Stop. Just stop.
>>
File: 128934120.png (353KB, 523x400px) Image search: [Google]
128934120.png
353KB, 523x400px
>>381783589
>this level of booty blasting over a shitty survival game

seek help
>>
>>381784074
>No argument
>>
>>381785312
>NOBODY CARES
>delusional retard

did you actually think your post deserved a reasoned response?
>>
File: 1498341684451.png (169KB, 311x278px) Image search: [Google]
1498341684451.png
169KB, 311x278px
>>381778620
Agreed, The Long Dark is liberal 'hurr global warming' bullshit. It's a walking simulator.
>>
>>381785569
yeah, the constant liberal shit in TLD is what keeps me from playing it.
>>
I'm still salty that the Forest dropped VR.
>>
I think people give TLD so much shit is because it is one of the more realistic survival simulator out there because you aren't fighting against supernatural beasts or the obligatory zombie/ other players and having to build a base for game over. You fight against the elements and animals of the Canadian wilderness while managing your water and calorie intake as well as heat and sleep. And for what it's worth, it works. The survival mechanics work. But that is just my opinion and highly recommend people to try it first.
>>
File: 1494269974423.png (705KB, 1046x747px) Image search: [Google]
1494269974423.png
705KB, 1046x747px
>>381786849
you forget about the part where Hinterland constantly reminds you to donate to global warming causes.

In the game, when the character gets really cold he comments 'god what have we done. we could have stopped global warming'.

It's not even worth trying. If I wanted this liberal bullshit I'd listen to pedestrian dialogue in GTA V.

tldr tld is shit
>>
>>381787151
I could honestly care less about the dialogue because the ambient noises and sounds is better. And I usually play with the voice off.
>>
>>381787151
Being too obvious again.

>>381787465
>Muting FemShep.
>Ever.
>>
>>381785421
Dude, you basically posted:
"Everything I don't get is shit, and also every definition I provide is valid because it's shit and I say so."
It was you who never deserved a reasoned reply in the first place. It's hilarious when you complain that other people aren't making a rational arguments when you try to pull of this kind of shit.
And it's precisely why people consider you delusional.
>>
>>381785569
actually the plot involves an electromagnetic event. no global warming stuff here
>>
I just survived my first day but shortly after died because I went trekking but forgot to pick up my bedroll.

REEEE
>>
>>381788398
>a seasoned survivalist would die if he left his blankie behind
GOTY ladies and germs...
Seriously fuck this game. I tried to give it a chance but it's just fucking awful. You can't take one step without dying and its glitchy as all hell.
>>
>>381788660
>a seasoned survivalist
You're not a seasoned survivalist and sleeping uncovered will freeze you to death.
>>
>>381789126
>You're not a seasoned survivalist and sleeping uncovered will freeze you to death.
Wow, this is the most retarded "comment" ITT so far.

A. You are a seasoned survivalist if like me you actual play survival vidya and you aren't a complete shitter

B. THEY ARE CALLED FUCKING SNOW CAVES
>>
>>381788660
the glitches make this game unplayable imo. If you talk about them though, not only will /v/ deny the glitches, they'll tell you that you're just bad, and you have to play around the glitches.

summerfags riding hinterlands cock as usual
>>
>>381787910
prove it
>>
>>381789557
I'm talking about the character you play as. They don't know shit.

And you'll still freeze in those caves.
>>
>>381790165
You'll freeze to death because you are a forgetful pussy and you don't know how to make fire. The first thing I did when I graduated Eagle Scouts was get my own flint starter kit and extra tinder to make an emergency fire. If you don't know the basics of surviving real life you have 0 (Zero) business playing survival "games".
>>
>>381789570
I guess I'll have to play this game more. I haven't encountered any glitches so far.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.