[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starcraft 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 21

File: wall2-1024x768.jpg (730KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
wall2-1024x768.jpg
730KB, 1024x768px
What went wrong?
>>
>>381765963
Couldn't one up broodwar.
>>
>>381765963
story is shonen garbage
>>
Mobas happened.
>>
>>381766107
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the correct answer.
>>
>>381765963
>What went wrong?
a lot, but mostly Blizzard didn't grab the chance when sc2 was on the "forefront" of esports and then lol/csgo surpassed it easily. Game is still pretty good in both single and multiplayer and improved somewhat, but rts games are pretty much out of the loop by now, with the golden age of rts gaming having ended over 10 years ago.
Source: in sc2 for 7 years.
>>
>>381765963
RTS in general has too high of a skill ceiling to catch the interest of casuals, which in turn lead to the game being casualised, which in turn lead to the game being abandoned.

The greatest sin, however, is the complete mishandling of the galaxy editor and custom games. Especially that copyright bullshit they added as a result of DOTA 2 butthurt.
>>
>>381766107
The tone was certainly way less real than SC1. SC1 felt like equal to Warhammer 40k in setting up the mood.

>>381766283
>>381766185
How bad is the RTS scene in Korea?
>>
>>381765963
Good campaign. Awful story, but it was fun to play.
>>
>>381766107
>[Fenix is killed]
>Jim Raynor: Fenix! No!
>Sarah Kerrigan: What are you worried about, Jim? He died the way all Protoss hope to: in combat!
>Jim Raynor: He died because you betrayed him! How many more noble souls do you need to consume before you're satisfied?! How many more innocent people have to die before you realize what you've become?!
>Sarah Kerrigan: You don't even know what you're talking about, Jim.
>Jim Raynor: Don't I? I'll see you dead for this, Kerrigan! For Fenix, and all the others who got caught between you and your mad quest for power!
>Sarah Kerrigan: Tough talk, Jimmy, but I don't think you have what it takes to be a killer.
>Jim Raynor: It may not be tomorrow, darlin', it may not even happen with an army at my back. But rest assured: I'm the man who's gonna kill you one day! I'll be seeing you!
holy shit. it feels like the people who made brood war just left and got replaced by people who never even played the game.
>>
>>381766465
>How bad is the RTS scene in Korea?
sc2 is holding steadily around GSL/SSL mostly, which are supported by blizz as a part of the WCS system. It's not really getting any better, but not much worse. CS:BW is about to get a remastered version with the regular one f2p. I'd say there's a rising interest in BW, with very notable pros like Flash and Jaedon actually going back to BW from sc2.
>>
>>381766729
God damn the writing for SC1 was incredible.

They also changed Kerrigan's VA, who was amazing in SC1.
>>
>>381766107
Second post best post.

If the campaign was actually good I wouldn't mind.
>>
>HURRRR MY XEL'NAGA
>OH NO WE GOTTA KILL THE BAD XEL'NAGA GUY
>Kerrigan turns into a demigod, cures herself, and frags that charlie
>THE END
Gee that sure was great and totally not fanfiction tier.
>>
>>381765963

>massive armies
>clumping
>AoE spells errywhere

its gotten better with legacy, but its too late. best bet is to wait for the BW Remaster
>>
>>381766107
Caring about story in one of the most competitive genre. Why the fuck people call this game bad just because of story its fucking bullshit and people who call it casual are also bullshit if you are so goof for this game than why are you not pro yet
>>
>>381766729
Pretty much exactly what happened. Look at Diablo 3 and modern WoW.
>>
>>381767682
I'm 99% sure you're underage or barely 18.
>>
>>381767682
>If you don't like the singleplayer git gud at the multiplayer
Get out Ubi
>>
>>381767682
>Why the fuck people call this game bad just because of story

Because the story was good before and the series would have drawn in some fans on that basis, only to forcefeed them a narrative which completely shits on what was previously established.

Sorry that you're too retarded to understand that a game can be greatly enhanced by its storytelling and atmosphere.
>>
>>381767682
if you played BW you would've known why it's bad, both story and gameplay wise.
>>
>>381765963
Majority of the development process.
>>
>>381765963

We got old and realized our childhoods were over.

Winter had come.

Also, I was happy to see Jim and Sarah get a happy ending.

Arthas got fucked.

The reason why I don't purge everything Blizzard from my memory banks is because I need to see what happens to Jaina and Sylvanas.
>>
>>381767841
Gameplay wise i can accept valid argument but caring about story in a game which is quake level of competitive just different genreid bullshit and you know it
>>381767809
This is also good that hes atleast accepting that he only got in StarCraft for story
>>381767780
I am not underage was an avid player on fish server and iccup
>>381767821
But it was not meant for story why don't you understand that story is just a bonus and as far starcraft 2 goes its quite good in terms of gameplay it made very overwhelming and tedious mechanic a little playable.
And also you just writing
>reeeee you are retarded and shit
And no argument given
>>
>>381767682
Late 20s guy here. Literally grew up with SC, had friends who had LAN parties over it. I never even played it competitively but I finished the campaign.

Only played Wings of Liberty. Just watched the rest on YT.
>>
>>381768237
It isn't just about the story itself, more about the awful shit it went from sorta interesting sci fi plot with some cheesiness to anime/comic book level of terrible storytelling. But I guess it was to be expected seeing how WoW ruined anything interesting Warcraft 3 built.
>>
>>381766465
>How bad is the RTS scene in Korea?

Almost non-existent nowadays.
They've got tourneys going but it's notmal tournaments like the local shit you'd expect in Poland, not national super-leagues.

LoL killed Starcraft long ago in South Korea.
Heck, Activision already found a way back in and has about an equal share of the market with LoL through Overwatch.
Starcraft (let alone 2) is not even tracked anymore.
>>
>>381767682
>>381768237
RTS games around SC's time usually had pretty memorable stories like C&C and Warcraft. Also, this is probably one of the dumbest arguments I've read on /v/. No one predicted that Starcraft was going to become a hyper e-sport at the time. That argument holds zero weight. Also, the e-sport population and hardcore players only represent a fraction of the people who actually played the game. They obviously invested a lot of resources into the single player of both games so there's really no excuse here.

Fuck off underage.
>>
>>381768379
Yes and?
Whats your point tho.
I am also not super competitive but it just really sickening that people call quite good game bad for no reason and when asked why they are all like "reeeeee shit story" wtf there was no story in sf2 no story in sf3s just side lore and fighting games are less competitive game than starcraft.
Its like saying the accuracy calculator is bad in a rhythm game hence game is bad
>>
>>381768237
>But it was not meant for story why don't you understand that story is just a bonus and as far starcraft 2 goes its quite good in terms of gameplay it made very overwhelming and tedious mechanic a little playable.

A game's a unified package. Reynor's face is on the front cover and quite a deal of resources went into the campaign, so it was an expensive bonus if that was its only intention. Your argument basically boils down to:
>"B-But you can't criticise parts of a game because the other parts are good!"

The story in StarCraft II is utter shit and it spoils the atmosphere. Once again:
>>Sorry that you're too retarded to understand that a game can be greatly enhanced by its storytelling and atmosphere.
>>
>>381768565
>RTS games around SC's time usually had pretty memorable stories like C&C and Warcraft.

You what?
C&C had no memorable story. The setting was simple as fuck and there was no story to speak of.
No one gave a fuck about Warcraft's story either, maybe a bit with Warcraft 2 but no one complained when they threw it out of the window and into the trash with Warcraft 3. Same for Total Annihilation or Dark Reign.
The only story-centric RTS games at the time were Starcraft and Homeworld.
>>
>>381766729
Metzen once explained why the tone of sc2 was very different.

He said how he was edgy and young while making sc1, that there was to much politics in it and lots of other shit and that they wanted to make sc2 more relatable to normal people. Basicly: We dumbed it down.
>>
multiplayer too hard for casuals, too easy for pros. only scrubs care about single player in an RTS, so it's not really applicable to the longetivity of the game
>>
File: 1496450064829.gif (2MB, 312x390px) Image search: [Google]
1496450064829.gif
2MB, 312x390px
>Raynor killing best boy off
Just look at what he missed
>>
>>381768916
While the C&C series has weak stories, they have good presentation of the tiny bit of story they have and good settings for its time.
>>
>>381766283
Pretty much the only legit answer here. Their marketing team was not as good as OW's. Legacy of the Void added (and still adds) some really cool stuff, but it took them a while. People will call SC2 "dead" or ask questions like "what went wrong" because it's not getting its share of the pie that LoL/CSGO/Dota 2 and every other "mainstream fast food" games get. The average Chad Thundercock can't even touch Starcraft 2, or most other RTS games.

The game is still alive and going strong, it gets updated regularly, it has a huge number of active players daily and monthly, an awesome competitive scene, a "good" campaign, a "good" arcade and a very good co-op mode.
>>
>>381765963
No United Earth Directorate.
>>
>>381768565
Starcraft bw was released in 1998 and it became competitive and i am pretty sure sc2 came after scbw was esports you are talking like scbw was not competitive when sc2 was released a sequel to a hyper competitive game is obviously going to be considered competitive and is competitive. Your argument is bullshit that noone knew starcraft was going to be competitive hence sc2 was not competitive
Release date of sc2: 2010
First wcg: 2000
By 2002 full scbw competitive scene was started you bullshitting me that no one knew sc2 was going to competitive and people were unaware of scbw being super competitive?
>>
>>381769115
>While the C&C series has weak stories
>tiberium series has a weak story

fucking kill yourself nigger
>>
>>381768810
You are also calling a full game bad just because of bonus content and i am retarded
>>
>>381768916
Not this anon but
>C&C had no memorable story.
>noone cared about warcraft story
Just this thing makes me disregard anything you wrote later. Youre just a fucking casual who played only tetris because rts were fucking too hard or fucking underage trying to act cool'n shit

I have old magazines etc, i remember that when i was a kid, not knowing hat CC or wc is about was like heresy in playing games

The homeworld you just picked, is know not only by good mechanics, but also by FUCKING EPIC STORY

You fucking trash, you got me triggered
>>
>>381769142

Well Stukov does say that the UED will be back one day.

They are humanities lost children.
>>
>>381769285
I am not the anon you replied too, i am the one story and competitive shitter.
You see how it feels someone calls a game bad just because of a little factor like story was not memorable. I am also getting triggered that people are calling a game bad just because of fucking bonus content.
Those 32apm shitters
>>
>>381769296
Just how strong is the full force of the UED?
>>
>>381769296
The UED returning would make a more interesting plot than anything this space fantasy crap could provide. The Protoss would meet their technological match, or at least something close enough to keep it interesting and the other Terran factions would have a reason to actually involve themselves.
>>
File: Cam gi.gif (295KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
Cam gi.gif
295KB, 400x200px
>>381769285
Chill, man. And read what I posted before throwing a tantrum on baseless and completely wrong assumptions.
>>
>>381769149
That wasn't what I was talking about. You're saying that people shouldn't care about story in a competitive genre. No one predicted that the original Starcraft was going to become this huge e-sport phenomenon. Most of the players who bought the game were in it because A) It was a Blizzard product. B) It looked like a cool sci-fi RTS with a neat setting. This represents most of the people who bought SC. Thus, it's quite apparent that most of the people who bought SC are in it for the story and setting with the multiplayer being the "bonus" content you're flapping on about. People who take SC seriously are in the minority.

So we go over to SCII. People are excited to see the conclusion to SC's story and other people are excited to see another e-sport thingy. Millions of dollars were put into the single player content. It's not bonus content. It's a huge part of the game for the MAJORITY of customers. So now the single player campaign sucks shit for the majority of people and it hurts even deeper because it's what they grew up with. Because most players aren't interested in the competitive side of things, that means the part of the game they were invested in is gone and there's nothing left for them. I'm sorry you're too autistic and underage to think with logic here.
>>
>>381769063
I was so fucking disappointed.

Great... they killed the best character... Really looking forward to the sequel.
>>
>>381769539

My HDD crashed two days ago with no survivors otherwise I would post the 'full force in her vagina, mouth and anus' picture.

They're pretty fucking strong and advanced; their technology was so advanced that their battle plan was to procure all heavy weapons on site instead of risking having the Terrans get their hands on their dank technology.

>>381769571

If SC wasn't high fantasy in space and more realistic, I would agree but we got Space God garbage instead.
>>
>>381765963

Plot AND gameplay
>>
>>381769786
Don't worry, we still have Alarak and Abathur.
>>
>>381769535
The thing is, that most older games had both story and gameplay on par with quality, because they wouldn't sell. There were no "competetive" factor like today. Im 100% sure that scbw wasn't mean't to be competetive multiplayer rts, because nearly perfection of 3 races was achieved by trying to make mechanicaly perfect game with pretty immersive story. By reading old magazines i can see that c&c and other tournaments were really small compared to what scbw created. Simply, game without good story or good mechanci wont sell good in times when multiplayer was somewhat rare
>>
>>381769786
And all that just because of mary-sue Kerrigan and muh prophecy, which makes the reason for him getting killed of by his former partner even worse
>>
>>381769742
That last part was unnecessary, but i was just unaware that, that much people were into Starcraft just for story. I do understand that people who are only into it for story i even said before but people here also fucking do it to be cool and never accept that they are only into it for story just like facebook insecure shitter its just hypocrisy, if you are only interested in story just admit it what's the point of calling a whole game bad just because of parts you care about were bad
>>
>>381769881
>because nearly perfection of 3 races was achieved by trying to make mechanicaly perfect game

Not really. Starcraft is really far from mechanically perfect or even balanced.
Most of the game's mechanical appeal comes from the innumerable bugs.
Most of game's balance comes from years and years of selective map breeding to create the gigantic list of rules you have to uphold to not make this or that side stomp the shit out of everyone else.
>>
>>381769864
From blizzcon, Metzen said that "Earth" have some big guns like chrono alsers etc thats too OP to include in game and balance. UED in Koprulu was just a scouting/raiding fleet. I could make some mistake here, i saw citations on sc wiki if you're interested
>>
>>381767554
I didn't mind it being about Xel'Naga problem was how they told it. I've heard this complaint before: SC2 felt like a recycled WC3.

>zerg were freed from their xel'naga masters
>returned to their primal state
>zerg were good after all
>>
>>381766107
Yep.
>>
>>381769870

True Patracian kino taste right hurr.

Fucking Q and that asshole Troy Baker?

Who would have guess the two best characters would be polar opposites IRL?

One dank tier the the other a fuckboy.

>>381769868

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJsIn4UttPo
>>
>>381769864
>If SC wasn't high fantasy in space and more realistic
Starcraft is at its absolute best when it's being a gritty space western, or when it's trying to knock off Aliens. I think the addition of the Protoss push them in the wrong direction, but I also think they could use the Protoss without making it entirely fantasy bullshit.
>>
>>381770128
don't forget thrall is green jesus and kerrigan is space jesus. we need to band together to defeat the burning legion. i mean amon.
>>
File: MedicTall_Shortened.jpg (96KB, 639x668px) Image search: [Google]
MedicTall_Shortened.jpg
96KB, 639x668px
It was a fucking travesty they removed medics. Medivac doesn't make sense at all.
>>
>>381770271
>Next WoW expansion combining the War- and Starcraft universes
You saw it here first
>>
File: 1464067151703.jpg (40KB, 540x628px) Image search: [Google]
1464067151703.jpg
40KB, 540x628px
>>381768916
>C&C had no memorable story. The setting was simple as fuck and there was no story to speak of.
Okay this is just stupid as fuck. If you bothered to look and enjoy the games you would see great stories in all three universes which are paid off in the end. Fuck you Anon.
>>
>>381769881
Yes people didn't know scbw would be competitive but people did know that sc2 will be a competitive game, counter strike condition zero i think also had bullshit story and or a campaign but it was understood that new counter strike without even releasing will not be for campaign and shit it will solely be for online play and competition.
2 kind of threads rts and fightan really make me trigger on /v/ because they just dont admit that they were into fightan and rts for actual competition and just sqeeze their complaints about story legs censorship thicc boobs and shit
>>
>>381770125

>Metzen not having blown a gasket years ago and knowing anything about any of the series he helped write anymore.

Did you ever read the manual that came with the original StarCraft?

It was a fucking bible of fantastic backstory.
>>
>>381770404
Did he not do audience tests? I wish these guys would actually hire a writer to continue the story, rather than force one once they're over the hill.

How many more IPs will be ruined?
>>
>>381769881
>The thing is, that most older games had both story and gameplay on par with qualit

I know 2014 might seem a long time ago, but actual old games usually had a story that could fit into a few lines.
>>
>>381768919
I hope the critical and commercial failure made him realize that his "young and edgy" writing was a lot better. Who am I kidding, people in his age will never admit they made a mistake, he would blame literally everything else before admitting that.
>>
>>381770404
It was a statement from some old blizzcon from times when Metze could actualy write a decent story i think
Sadly, i cant reread it. Its in original tecture box in my parents house, propably buried with other childhood relic in cellar
>>
>>381770380
I enjoyed the games trendemously but the story has never been a part of the appeal.

I liked them as a kid when I couldn't speak a lick of English and I like them the same amount now despite being able to "fully appreciate" the stories.

But if you play Tiberian Dawn or Red Alert 1 for the story, then be my guest. It's your choice to enjoy what is on all accounts a cheap B-movie haphazard thrown together to give some reason behind the action on the screen and the real gro of the game.
>>
So how would you guys have written SC2's story?
>>
>>381770608

Sorry too lazy to photoshoop out the bottom part.
>>
>>381770726

Just make it Warhammer 40k with 3 races and hyper future tech
>>
>>381770608
Well, storyteling for sc2 and wow + that graphic in d3, wow, OW and sc2 makes me thing that hey're going full disney 2.0

yes i know that cartoon graphic ages better, but hell, all that grim atmosphere in d3, fantasy in wow and space opera in sc is lot
>>
>>381770675

So it's in the warehouse with the Ark of the Covenant?

Or is it being examined by top men?

TOP MEN.
>>
>>381770726
If you ask me, the Defenders of Man Insurgency and the One-Day War (the last story installment) were pretty good.
>>
>>381770608
>I hope the critical and commercial failure made him realize that his "young and edgy" writing was a lot better.
>SC2
>Commercial and critical failure
Literally what.
>>
I remember playing sc's campaign to death. Story, atmosphere, music, everything worked, and best of all it had fun challenging levels, that I repeatedly tried to beat using different strategies. Never got into Multiplayer too much since I hate losing all the time and have a life. So for me sc2 was a huge letdown. The Story is so awful I actually had to switch off sound so I wouldnt hear the dialogue. The gameplay is worse as well. Instead of open maps we now have small maps with dumbbass missions where its enough to just mass whatever unit they are introducing with the level. Whatever happened to creative play. And of course, now all the races have to work together to defeat some stupid alien race. If you have established a universe with 3 different hostile races, the obvious thing is to underscore their conflict which in turn keeps gameplay interesting. I loved being able to play as evil Zergs and destroy my former friends. That was part of what made the first one so much fun. And another thing: In SC people adressed me as a general, so it was easy to get immersed in to the world and feel like some super smart tactician. But now I have to play from Raynors perspective which kills half the fun.
>>
READY TO ROAR
>>
>>381771369
Which one is untrue? It sold like shit and everyone hates it. The casuals because the story is shit. The pro gamers also hate it because it isn't BW.
>>
>>381769063
Tychus had a hard life
>>
File: 20170625_150206[1].jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170625_150206[1].jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>381770847
Im not sure what are you asking of me, but have some relics of the old time

I also found same box of Baldurs gate, with full game map on bloodied parchment
>>
>>381771394
>where its enough to just mass whatever unit they are introducing with the level.

Bash the story all you like but you'd need to be clinically insane to consider campaign's gameplay and design to be better in the original.

ALL the levels were beaten in the same manner for Starcraft 1. Terrans did mass Goliaths+Tanks or mass BCs to clear out all levels without issue.
Protoss massed Reavers, then Carriers.
Zerg simply spammed the fuck out of Hydras.
>>
>>381771659
Oh shiit, old PC game boxes were so awesome. Too bad by the time I could afford video games, they already phased those out long ago and all we got was these shitty dvd cases.
>>
>>381771737
The thing is, that games in that times were
- cheaper
- had bonus content, like very big instruction, lorebook, art book, bonus thing like figurine etc

Now its called collector edition
>>
>>381771821
I feel most of the time even collectors editions don't offer that kind of quality.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (248KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
248KB, 1066x1600px
>>381771737
>Oh shiit, old PC game boxes were so awesome.

They still exist for PC-intended games.
Witcher games had them. Starcraft 2 WoL had one. Recently, Shadow Tactics made one (available only in the lands of the toilet cleaners and schnitzel eaters, sadly).
>>
>>381771594
"Hope she was worth it, Jimmy."
;_;
>>
File: ShadowWar_SC2-WoL_Story1.jpg (88KB, 800x465px) Image search: [Google]
ShadowWar_SC2-WoL_Story1.jpg
88KB, 800x465px
>>381770726
A lot of people want the UED to return but that would leave the Xel'Naga side hanging, I think.

Anyway, I have looked at alternate takes on how to do SC2's story. Blizzard pitched Johnny Raynor, Jim's son by first wife who was surrendered to ghost training because of his psionic potential, and I think he's a more interesting character to write around than Jim:

>you play as a Dominion commander
>you're tasked with taking a fringe Umojan world
>you have Johnny Raynor, though now with a new name, as your hero unit
>few victories, then you're all captured by, surprise, Jim Raynor
>Jim was harbored by Umoja after BW; working with them to secure the Protectorate against the Dominion and the next Zerg attack
>Jim interrogates Johnny but they don't know they're related
>some exposition that the world they're on is doing psionic and zerg research
>suddenly alarms break out
>zerg spotted
>Dominion and Umoja forces try to hold out but are overwhelmed
>Johnny can't contact the Dominion and joins with Jim to escape the planet
>zerg have begun their invasion

Anyway, it ends with Kerrigan working her way to Korhal, kills Mensk, but is almost killed by Johnny, using his psi powers and the Umojan's research on how to neutralize her powers, is saved by Zeratul and then chapter 2.
>>
>>381771821
I agree, but I think it has to do with the fact that video games are mainstream now. Chad plays them. Back then, he didn't. The companies had to put a lot of effort in their games, now they just need a good marketing team.
>>
Outdated gameplay mechanics where other developers have already improved the genre. General audiences turning to mobas instead because of their accessibility. Story is underwhelmingly disappointing. Even Koreans have turned their back on this game and they once revered the original like a damn cult.
>>
>>381765963
the games fucking gay, its the same stupid shit. game mechanics never progressed passed 1998-- it was the year 2010, 12 years after the original, and what did they add?? Nothing. it just got a face lift. No new mechanics like cover, hiding in cover, destroyable cover, morale, varying unit performance-- nothing. it was the same shit from 98 but with a gay story.
>>
>>381771583
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games
>WoL 6 million
>HotS 1.1 million
>LotV unlisted
These aren't entirely even real time though, the 6 million figure there for WoL was from 2012, and the 1.1 million was from 2013 shortly after release. The fact they're even on the list of "best selling video games" completely negates the "commercial failure" statement though. Calling it a critical review is even more retarded since all of the critic reviews like all three games, and the user scores aren't that much lower. You're wrong on literally both points.

If you want to say it was a failure as an eSports game, that would be a statement which nobody can refute. To say the games are a "commercial and critical failure" is simply the height of stupidity though.
>>
File: 20170625_151349[1].jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170625_151349[1].jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>381771898
Well, even box games could get only cd case. For example, BG1 was buffed up, but expansion set called tales from the sword coast had only cd and basic instruction
>Goku! You have 5 CD TO PLAY THE GAME
Yes, when changing area, you should change cds (you could also install from all discs, but it takes a lot of space - 2gb+ and its really slow)
Bonus: some other relics
I have much more but its not a thread for this
>>
Do you think Starcraft: Remastered will have any success?
>>
>>381765963

It went down when the first MLG tournament allowed non american (korean) players.
Same for european tournaments.

They lost continents of exposure.

Look every big e-sport game after that and you'll see how they smartly separated each regions before doing WORLDS.
>>
starcraft 2's multiplayer has got to be one of the most stressful video game experiences of all time

i don't think blizzard is entirely to blame though, i've played a few rts games over the years and even semi-competitive 1v1s where never as stressful as they were in starcraft 2, i think a lot of it has to do with the community surrounding the game and especially with people like day[9] who sell it as something you have to constantly be getting better at rather than something you can do for fun
>>
>>381771898

The WarCraft 3 Collectors Edition was the finest I've seen in my 31 years on this rock.

I will never see another of it's kino tier quality again.

Winter has come.
>>
>>381771821
>The thing is, that games in that times were
>- cheaper
The games were basically the same price. Possibly even more if you count for inflation.
>>
>>381766107
This ... I remember being 16 and utterly obsessed by the story... Mengsk's betrayal, Kerrigans Transformation, totally unexpected. No video game has really given me the same feels since. Of course I am much older and jaded than I was back then, so certainly that has something to do with it, but I have to believe its not impossible... I remember getting goose bumps when Tassadar flew his ship into the overmind, I must have watched played that mission just to watch that cutscene over 20 times... damn I miss being a teenager.
>>
>>381773158

I don't miss teenagers.

I get older and they stay the same age.

All right, all right, all right.
>>
File: 1496738115863.jpg (106KB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1496738115863.jpg
106KB, 810x1080px
> tfw addicted to working on wowpedia because you're into warcraft lore since 1995
>>
>>381766729
This and Stukov's dialogue in Patriot's Blood gave me chills.
>>
>>381772961
Not sure about other countries, but in poland, around 1996-2000, game cost was around 99-129 for most, 149 for starcraft and other best titles, with some 200 for some rare games, mostly point-click or similair logic adventure games or movie themed like starcraft

From 2000 to i think 2010 most games were around 99-129pln price tag. From 2011 ot started to rising and no for games like Nier Automata or ds3 i pay around 200-220pln

And yes, 1996-2002 prices were high due to inflation. But also copyright law was flawed and people earned much less salary, so "russian originals? were popular, like KKND on my pic
>>
Cutting up the game into 3, all region locked and released long periods of time after each other, lack of lan, and putting all sorts of unique units/upgrades in single player that don't translate into multiplayer meant I didn't even really notice the second one coming out. They were too greedy.
>>
imagine working at blizzard and getting paid 10 million yachts a year to write shit like "it's about time we kicked this revolution into overdrive"
>>
>>381773340
How can you like nu-lore?
>>
File: 1459370960872.jpg (383KB, 1546x1179px) Image search: [Google]
1459370960872.jpg
383KB, 1546x1179px
>>381773605
nostalgia + the chronicles books mosty
>>
>>381773574
Tip top kek
>>
>>381765963
World of Warcraft.
>>
>>381773507
>released long periods of time after each other
>I didn't even really notice the second one coming out
Basically the same for me. The campaign was fun to play and all, minus the story being something you essentially have to your brain off for like John Wick 2. The fact it took they so-god-damned-long to release each one was just awful though. Even a year apart would've been a bit too much, and yet somehow they got HotS out nearly 3 years later, and LotV over 2 years after that. The Protoss ending felt so fucking tacked on too. I don't even want to think about the epilogue. It was difficult to enjoy even trying to practice suspension of disbelief.
>>
File: StarCraftBattle_SCR_Game1.jpg (298KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
StarCraftBattle_SCR_Game1.jpg
298KB, 1280x800px
Remastered still uses the original sprites? Why didn't they just remake it using SC2's engine?
>>
>>381774418
They wanted to appeal to the people who will actually buy it. Said people prefer the original sprites.
>>
>>381765963
Bad story progression and factions being too balanced. Multi tries to be too much like Brood War.
>>
>>381769063
>>381769786
>>381771594
>>381771959
And to add insult to injury...they gave Tychus in HotS a Infested Tychus skin. And it says that he's slowly losing his personality as a infested.
>>
>>381775193
>slowly losing his personality as a infested
Anon why are you making me cry
>>
>>381774418
Because using SC2's engine would actually fix SC1's issues.
>>
>>381769539
Like Protoss before Aiur's fall + more numerous. They are Terrans 2.0 with far more superior tech. The reason the UED forces in Brood War had the same tech as Terrans instead of their much better one was because there were no facilities to replenish/keep their gear running (in reality they wanted to have UED with completely new stuff, but the deadline was coming and they had to scrap this idea).

>>381775470
Because I'm an angry, bitter person. Angry and bitter over SC, WC and Diablo going full retard mode after Blizzard itself went full retard.
>>
>>381775705
I understand how you feel, but please make Blizzard cry next time! At least Jimmy somewhat got what he deserved in the end for killing off Tychus over Kerrigan
>>
>>381775847
Well, killing of his bro paid off in fucking universe goddess 24/7
>>
>>381775847
I still fucking cannot believe how they butchered the Queen Bitch of the Galaxy.

At least one good thing Blizzard did in SCII was making Jim feel guilt and responsibility over what happened with Kerrigan...only to not go anywhere with it.
>>
File: JimRaynor_Devils'Due_Art2.jpg (174KB, 791x1275px) Image search: [Google]
JimRaynor_Devils'Due_Art2.jpg
174KB, 791x1275px
>>381769786
Jimmy had shit taste
>>
>>381765963
>game 2 is good but it is shit because it's not game 1
>>
>>381774418
>>381774680
>>381775580

Why didn't they do both? It's not like they are short on money.
>>
>>381776682
I don't think they can make people buy it twice.
>>
>>381776682
there is already a remake in SC2 engine, google mass recall
>>
File: 카오스 초보.jpg (69KB, 547x408px) Image search: [Google]
카오스 초보.jpg
69KB, 547x408px
What i don't get its the people that say that one game is better but they don't play it anymore. For me WC3 will be the best game and until this day i still pay it so why does this SC1>SC2 people don't even play the game anymore? game its free now but i barely found people that play it, hope the remastered version will bring fans again and not just some posers for the first month until the game die again
>>
gook
>>
File: 1420105142720.png (266KB, 349x380px) Image search: [Google]
1420105142720.png
266KB, 349x380px
>the sc2 competitive scene is still alive and healthy!
>>
>>381776891

A mix of both getting older and being completely burned out on playing the same game over and over again.
>>
>>381776839
I played it, got bored halfway. Felt like I was playing some alpha version of SC2 with missing soundfxs and shit.
>>
>>381777327
I really wish it was, I loved played WoL ranked so much.
>>
>>381777350
one of the things that make a good game a "GOOD GAME" it's that you can play it over and over without getting bored, you can get tired and want to play something else but you will always come back to it
>>
Any retard could tell you not to make an RTS that's a shitty dumbed down clone of an already successful RTS.
Not to mention battle.net 2.0 killed the custom map scene.
>>
>>381777810
>Any retard could tell you not to make an RTS that's a shitty dumbed down clone of an already successful RTS.
yeah, let's just play the same game for 20 years and not try anything different because it might not be as good as the original
>>
File: 1450038229407.png (496KB, 780x720px) Image search: [Google]
1450038229407.png
496KB, 780x720px
the tone of the story was completely different from the first game which alienated fans who wanted a sequel
starcraft and BW were kinda gritty. you had different factions that were grey and black morally but nobody was a "good" guy, even raynor was more driven by revenge and the fight for survival than he was by trying to be some kind of hero
it was also on a much smaller scale, with the game mostly being set on a remote part of the galaxy
SC2 introduced an ancient super evil, an ancient prophecy and a massive threat that would destroy or enslave all three major races, which are things that no starcraft fan wanted
it also fucked up really badly by retconning the zerg and the overmind into being "good guys". that's the thing that actually pisses me off the most about starcraft 2's story. i like the zerg because they're horrible, brutal abominations that virulently consume worlds and rapidly evolve to become stronger. I like zerg because I don't _want_ to play as "the good guys", I want to be in control of this race of monsters and wipe out everyone else. they had potential when they "cured" kerrigan, they could have had a new leader of the zerg that you take control of and there would be a lot more room for creative storytelling instead of this lame ass "kerrigan reinfests herself by jumping into a dank ass swimming pool and becomes mutant jesus" garbage. I haven't even played LotV because at this point I already know what is going to happen because the story is so cliche and predictable: the three races are going to team up and kill the big evil guy and everyone is going to live happily ever after. that's not the kind of storytelling that made starcraft 1 so memorable for me.
on a gameplay level i think it's fine because i'm a casual but on a story level I have no interest in the starcraft series unless they make a new game that has completely new characters and does something more creative
>>
>>381778017
>I already know what is going to happen because the story is so cliche and predictable: the three races are going to team up and kill the big evil guy and everyone is going to live happily ever after
Dude, Warcraft 3 isn't that bad.
>>
>>381778017
>SC2 introduced an ancient super evil, an ancient prophecy
no, that happened at the end of BW
>>
File: 4343738u3838.png (2MB, 1170x1672px) Image search: [Google]
4343738u3838.png
2MB, 1170x1672px
>>381766107
ding ding ding

Blizzard has always been utter shit at writing anything. How their fans just eat up their shit constantly is beyond me
>>
>>381778513
>Blizzard has always been utter shit at writing anything
While they never were original, at least their stories were interesting and had charisma. After WC 3 (or maybe during) they went from "That''s so metal" to "now that's edgy" to "shounen cringe".
>>
>>381779007
Shounen is surprisingly the best way to subscribe it. Their last cinematic is hilariously bad
>>
>>381765963
Expansions.
Expansions adding more unbalance.
Ranked Leagues.
Horrible Single-Player trying to be a movie.
Low sales for Expansions.
>>
File: tournament comparison.jpg (113KB, 992x432px) Image search: [Google]
tournament comparison.jpg
113KB, 992x432px
Thread posts: 144
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.