[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were consoles wars at school like when you were growing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: snes-sega1.jpg (32KB, 500x215px) Image search: [Google]
snes-sega1.jpg
32KB, 500x215px
What were consoles wars at school like when you were growing up?
Alternatively, discuss pic related
>>
>>381717438
Gamecube > Xbox >>>>>> PS2
>>
There weren't any. Some people had Atari 2600 and some C64. But they weren't common enough to start wars with. Just getting to play something was cool.
>>
People rarely talked about video games in school or high school. I wasn't even sure many people played them.

My experience with the console war was getting jealous of my cousin when he got a Mega Drive when I still had a Master System and hanging out at a friend's house to play SNES and mid-90s PC games.
>>
>>381719271
>There weren't any.
This. Kids were never bickering over whether an NES or Master System, or SNES/Genesis were better. They were just excited to go to each others houses and play games they didn't have at home.
>>
>>381717438
In 6th grade, 1997, I said I liked playing Sonic still. A kid at the round table we were all drawing at became near irate at me for bringing up last generation garbage. He fucking yelled at me and said the new consoles were the only things that mattered now and made the old ones complete shit. I will never forget it because of how unhinged he seemed to get.

So nothing's really changed I guess.
>>
>>381720134

He sounds like a Sony bro, anon. Was he a Sony bro?
>>
>>381720382
Actually I think he was into Saturn.
>>
>>381720434

Ah, that's interesting. I wonder if his outburst was due to cognitive dissonance.
>>
>>381720434
Can you imagine what /v/ would've been like if the Saturn was still around?
You'd see shitposters pointing out there wasn't a good Sonic game released on the damn thing.
Sega death countdown threads would've been everywhere
>>
>>381717438
basically like the scene from billy madison
>>
File: not a prostitute.jpg (75KB, 715x967px) Image search: [Google]
not a prostitute.jpg
75KB, 715x967px
>>381717438
Sega vs SNES console wars were pretty mild since you did your talking in person (people aren't as mean in person). Also those you were talking to were usually your friends (people aren't as mean to their friends).

Today it's bullshit because of the internet.

But if you had a Genesis and your friend had a Snes you would often lend each other your systems so the other could enjoy it. Back then most kid's parents would only buy them one system or if they bought them both, they bought one first and the second one years later. We didn't give a shit at the end of the day we just wanted to play as many cool games as possible.

Also we would lend/trade each other our games so we wouldn't have to buy them. Today they would classify that as "piracy" since we didn't buy it.
>>
>>381720508
Idk. I can barely remember the rest of the conversation now. I know most of the kids were talking about new shit or stuff coming up and I was too poor to know wtf they were talking about. I mean I still had a Genesis and was happy with it. Also I wasn't really into games then. Wouldn't really dedicate much time to them until years later with the PS2.

The general tone was Saturn kid was singling me out for being a poorfag shitter but the group didn't follow so it just came off as him trying way too hard.
>>
>>381717438
No one really talked about video games at my school and it was looked down upon for the most part until CoD4 came out when I was in high school and it suddenly became acceptable with normalfags/dudebros. I grew up in some backwater hick town and all everyone gave a shit about was Hunting or whatever the Wrestling/Football team were doing.
>>
>>381719884
yup
>>
>>381717438
Given how rural my school was, all we had were GBA's and one classmate even had a Atari Jaguar somehow.
>>
>>381717438
Almost everyone at my school had a gameboy or played Nintendo consoles. I was squarely on the SEGA side but could easily admit the SNES had some fantastic games.
>>
>>381720718
This,seeing consoles/hearing about them and going over to whoever's house to play was so strange to me because I'd only seen early PC games at the time. Funny thing is that my stepfather could hack and repair consoles so I got to help test them.
>>
>>381717438
I lived in rural Texas and I never even knew there was such an intense rivalry until years later. I had Nintendo consoles and so did most of my friends. There was only one kid that I ever spent the night with that had a Genesis, but he also had an NES.

tl:dr Nintendo dominated rural mid-west Texas in the early to mid 90s.
>>
Nothing on the Genesis and SNES. Console wars didn't ramp up until the PS1 and N64. Mostly just comparing Final Fantasy VII and Goldeneye. In the end it didn't matter because we'd just go to each others places and play on the other consoles and play the games our's didn't have.

Genesis is better than the SNES.
>>
>>381723084
>Final Fantasy VII and Goldeneye
how?
>>
>>381723149
Because they were the top games for either console.
>>
>>381720718
Fucking this. I never lent my consoles out, but I did have a friend lend me his Playstation. That was my first experience playing Metal Gear Solid and Vandal Hearts and I fell in love with both games. Fast forward a couple of year and a different friend lent me his Dreamcast. Skies of Arcadia, Soul Calibur, and Jet Grind Radio were so much fun. I might not have talked to either of them in over a decade, but I should thank them both for expanding my horizons.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.