[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

File: Untitled.png (9KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
9KB, 800x600px
What went wrong?
>>
>>381651607
What went wrong?
>>
Actually requires you to git gud, therefore too hard for today's "gamers".
>>
>>381651639
no games
>>
>>381651607
Everybody want to be WoW
>>
They stopped making them because normies don't want games where they're leaders of an army they want Moba's that decide everything for them.
>>
Got replaced by ASSFAGGOTS thanks to retards with ADD that can't manage more than one unit
>>
File: Nigga what.png (298KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
Nigga what.png
298KB, 600x512px
>>381651694
>WoW
>RTS
>>
>>381651686

MOBAS are just as hard.
>>
>>381651607
>What went wrong?
Take a look at DoW3. They tried to force some kind of shitty mixture between RTS and MOBA to ATTRACT A WIDER AUDIENCE XDDD and it fell flat on its ass like people told them it would.

Devs are too concerned about how other genres are doing to care about making a good RTS game.
>>
>>381651686
Plenty of games need that, it's not just restrictive to one genre.
>>
Sc2 lotv is genuinely good but nobody cares anymore
>>
RTS games were the same since Starcraft it's a stale genre that was doomed to die.
>>
>>381651959
SC2 died after HOTS burnt out
>>
>>381651959

People always underrate it because of the "ded gaem" meme. If SC2 was on Steam it would constantly be within the top 10 played games.
>>
>>381651768
See >>381651889

Video game developers want to switch to the microtransactions or subscription scheme.
>>
http://steamcharts.com/cmp/572410,251060#1m

dumbing down, and a focus on gimmicks or autistic reenactment over the core gameplay
>>
>>381651989
How was RTS "doomed to die"?
>>
>>381651607
ain't nobody got time for that
>>
They lost their space is the current game scene, unless your name is Starcraft.
>>
File: aint nobody got time for that.gif (944KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
aint nobody got time for that.gif
944KB, 500x280px
>>381652105
>>
We need another genuine RTS game with a decent production value that encompasses what makes them fun, economy, base building, big armies and atmosphere
>>
>>381651607
you stopped buying them
>>
>>381652250
There's none to buy.
>>
>tfw you miss all the SC2 wol threads back in 2010
>>
>>381652280
and why is that?
because you didnt buy the ones that came out so they said "fuck it"
>>
>>381651989
>the only RTS I played since starcraft was Starcraft 2
>>
>>381651607
It got stale since every game became "farm resources and make your army in the most optimal way and that's pretty much it" instead of actual real time overall management.
>>
>>381651607
Niche market that pretty much only works well on PC.
That coupled with how hard it is to create a good one just makes it seem not worth it for most developers.
>>
>>381652341
Yes, so I'm supposed to buy shit games in the hopes that they'll keep making more and eventually they'll get better?
I'm no poorfag but I'm not willing to throw my money away like that.
>>
>>381651607
Shit developers
>>
File: 1448766281523.jpg (49KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1448766281523.jpg
49KB, 480x480px
>I have always been interested in the RTS and really have wanted to get into RTS games
>I have tried playing them various times but I suck at them even if I'm pretty good in both fighting games and RPGs meaning I should be both smart and fast enough for RTS
>the only RTS game I had some success at was the single player of Rise of Nations
>now, I feel like the whole genre is dead because I was too casual to git gud in it
>>
File: aylon cohen.png (1MB, 2178x2602px) Image search: [Google]
aylon cohen.png
1MB, 2178x2602px
>>381652107
Starcraft is pretty much dead thanks to blizzards mismanagement.
>>
>>381652350
i'd say it's less this and more that RTS became less real-time strategy and more of a "min/max who can order more precise stuff faster" clickfests where your apm and build order matters most.

they've turned it from actual strategy to "oh he played rock, better get scissors real fast!", along with knowing that 3 of this unit kills 1 of that one so you don't overkill and etc etc
>>
>>381651607
developers and audience split into hero based tactics games or grand strategy
>>
>>381652365
>Niche
Around release time, Starcraft 2 was mainstream, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

> only works well on PC
MOBA is a genre that only works well on PC but is very very popular.
>>
>>381652617
it's just that everyone got good.
>>
Nobody has made a really good one in a long time, because the developers with the resources to do so either don't exist anymore or are doing other things
>>
>>381652669
Hearthstone was mainstream as well.
That doesn't mean that collectible card game aren't a niche genre.
>>
>>381652617
That's mainly StarCraft, its impossible to have the RTS formula and speed not being a dominant factor
>>
>>381652617
>muh artificial difficulty
don't be saying no dumb shit like this about RTS, what you said is when you git so gud you can strategize that hard
>>
>>381652849
> Niche genre
> Niche is an adjective in this case.
> Adjective meaning of niche is "denoting or relating to products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population."
> "small specialized section of the population"
> "small"

> Hearthstone was mainstream as well
> Mainstream literally means "the dominant trend"

> Dominant trend does not mean small.
>>
>>381653063
A single successful game in a decade doesn't make a successful genre, anon.
>>
AoE2 is still popular so nothing went wrong
>>
>>381653198
The reason they're not successful is because no one is making good RTS games.

It's not that they don't appeal to lots of people, it's the fact that no one is making any.

And the reason no one is making RTS games isn't because I don't waste my money on shit games either.
>>
>>381651690
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_real-time_strategy_video_games

That's a lot of games.
>>
File: please.png (667KB, 782x898px) Image search: [Google]
please.png
667KB, 782x898px
>>381653352
So what?

Even if that's a lot of games, if you simply sort by the year you're going to notice 90% of them come pre-2015.
>>
>>381653315
Also a big reason they're not succeeding is that they're not a Blizzard title.
I highly doubt either Starcraft 2 or Hearthstone would've been nearly as successful if they were released by an unknown developer.
>>
File: IMG_0571.png (85KB, 217x277px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0571.png
85KB, 217x277px
Mobas, aka RTS for retarded 12 year olds, made them go away.
>>
>hard
>requires gitting gud to even stand a chance
>unplayable on consoles
>does not provide much of visceral fun
RTS is a cursed genre.
>>
The vast majority blame mobas, but honestly, the core fanbase never really learned how to play the genre. They just wanted a mix of toy soldiers and simcity. It's like if people only played chess puzzles but not actual chess. Ironically, the popular meta of aoe2 black forest teams and Dow/coh team battles resemble mobas more than fans are willing to admit.
>>
>>381653557
So what?
>>
They're too hard. Games take too long for 1v1 when compared to modern games. The community is insanely afraid of change, even moreso than the fighting game community. Every game of the genre needs to be compared to starcraft, Genre is more about insect-like tactics than army fights.
>>
>>381651607
Partily the same thing that's wrong with fighting games, lack of target to blame put a lot of people off.
Other thing is the time investment for single matches.
>>
-Not as profitable as other genres
-Players need to study the meta and build orders to remain competitive
-Gameplay is more complex that point and click
-Too much focus in E-Sports instead of single player
-Autist player base that sounds like the biggest /v/ stereotype (This game is like the old games, shit sucks and this one isn't like the old games, shit sucks.)
-Modding being seen as something negative by devs and publishers
Really, there are a massive number of reasons is "death"
>>
>>381651607
If only games like Sacrifice would be a success the genre would prosper and be big right now.
>>
Idk. Total war Warhammer is pretty fun to me. Not sure what you're complaining about op
>>
Elder Scrolls RTS when?
>>
Only rts I've put a lot of hours into is supreme commander: forged alliance. Havnt found much other rts games that feel like the chaos that sc was.
>>
>>381652562
Depends on which ones you played, Anon.

Some of them have a fairly direct and manageable learning curve, if not a little challenge.

Some just kick you in the balls no matter how hard you try.

You can try out the Dawn of War series and Age of Empires if you want some easier to get into ones.
>>
>>381651686
Fighting games require you to git gud and they're doing better than ever before with a ton of varied games, multiple development houses, lively community and millions of sold copies per game.

And they literally force you to grind out muscle memory spending upwards of a week drilling the same sequence over and over in training mode to learn a SINGLE combo... you need quite a lot of on top of actually playing the game which is really complex in its own right.
>>
>>381651686

Fallacy, Command & Conquer is fucking easy to pick and and play.
>>
>>381651607
No longer profitable in today's market. Nu-/v/ will still tell you that the existence of bad games does not impact good games
>>
>>381658745
RTS games are arguably harder than fighting games to be good at.
Fighting games can be enjoyed on a surface level by bad players, because they can input supers and get flashy moves, and that's enough for them. They get instant gratification. No such thing exists in RTS games.
>>
>>381659161
I think zerg rush is quite an instant gratification.
>>
>>381659161
>No such thing exists in RTS games.

>What is compstomps.
>What is easy as fuck campaigns with EPIC cinematics and STORY and shit.
>What is epic units that no one in their right mind would ever build but shitters love so much?
>What are the innumerable rushes that allow you to whip AI's and human's ass in about 5 minutes following a sequence of actions easier than Christmas Carols taught to kindergarteners? Failed? DC. Boom, done.
>>
>>381659329
And extremely easy to fuck up.

Trust me, as a long-time SC player, Zerg Rush is kind of funny to watch, because most players are actually terrible at pulling it off, and failing an early zerg rush will instantly lose you the game. To the point where you literally might as well forfeit right then and there, because you are not going to overcome the huge deficit you have created for yourself.

And that's the difference - In fighting games, someone who has spent 30 hours on a specific character, can still lose to an asshole mashing buttons.

In a RTS game, you can't stumble yourself to a win. The better and more experienced player will win baring extremely bad luck, and considering how little luck influences the game, (Mostly just upgrade paths and unit choices, which can be avoided by proper scouting), this is also highly unlikely.
>>
>>381660732
>has spent 30 hours on a specific character, can still lose to an asshole mashing buttons.

Because he's a shitter.
You're an absolute gutter with mere fucking 30 hours in the game.
That's like saying that a SimCity player can win when his opponent is another SimCity retard.
>>
>>381652669
It's also free
>>
>>381660930
>You're an absolute gutter with mere fucking 30 hours in the game.
30 hours of effective playtime on a single character should make you a lot better than a newbie who is just mashing buttons.

>playing SimCity competetively
This doesn't actually happen outside of mouthbreathing neckbeards who can't figure out how to play any other kind of game properly.
>>
>>381651843
No, MOBAS are hard to master, but easy to get into.
RTS has a relatively steep learning curve in contrast
>>
>>381661438
>30 hours of effective playtime on a single character should make you a lot better than a newbie who is just mashing buttons.

In what fucking game? Because normal fighting games have everyone else rutting your sorry ass easily even at 200 hours, easily.
The only games where you can do something about it are Street Fighter 5 (a massive failure for how dumbed down it is despite still raping most of /v/) and SSB because it is quite literally a party game.
>>
>>381651607
>What went wrong?
We talking seriously?

Okay. What happened was they gained popularity and people got too fucking good at them. RTS good isn't like other mediums good. And so you had everything shift focus onto competitive RTS shit. But it's near impossible to get new blood into those scenes. Because unlike mouth-breather-tier shit like MOBAs, RTS games seriously do scale to the ludicrous level where at high tiers you basically have people laying like concert pianists.

Bar of entry too high. Established player base sniped any potential new blood. Popularity waned as more easily entered genres emerged.
>>
>>381661658
>Popularity waned as more easily entered genres emerged.

RTS is a newbie into the genre pool. Quite literally one of the last genres to emerge in the vidya market.

Also, the eternal >fighting game< question still lingers.
They are also just as ridiculous with the stratification of skill and they're doing fucking dandy.
>>
>>381661795
>RTS is a newbie into the genre pool. Quite literally one of the last genres to emerge in the vidya market.

RTS emerged as a defined genre in 1992 with Dune 2, with roots and prototypes earlier.
>>
>"Strategy"
I want to be a general laying out battle plans, doing large maneuvers like flanking and ambushing
What I get is an APM jerkoff contest
Nowadays I play grand strategy instead.
>>
File: EA.png (25KB, 406x418px) Image search: [Google]
EA.png
25KB, 406x418px
The grim reaper of game genres happened
>>
I'll be honest. My main interest in the RTS genre was always a sort of ant farm thing. Multiplayer never really appealed to me. God games like Dungeon Keeper were more my jam. I like creating shit and managing more than going round for round against other people.
>>
>>381661958
>RTS emerged as a defined genre in 1992 with Dune 2

Fighting games are from the 80s, racing games even before that. Turn based games are also most likely older than your mom. FPS games have their roots back in 80s as well. RPGs too.
TPS games predate all of this, being a thing all the way back in 79. So were simulators. Rythm games also date back to 1970s Japan.
Platformers are as old as consoles. Adventure games, MMOs, Et cetera.

The only genres I can think of that don't predate them are the GTA-like shit and ASSFAGGOTS.
>>
>>381662373
Again, if we're talking prototype games that laid the groundwork, RTS goes back to the 80s too. It's a very simply concept.
>>
>>381662569
Except all of those games had real representatives back then. Just because you haven't heard of them or played them does not mean they did not exist.
Dune 2 itself was incredibly niche and most people only played it after learning of its existence from Warcraft 2/C&C in 1995.
>>
>>381662715
PC games used to be distributed by catalogs and mail order and magazine pack-ins. Everything was incredibly niche.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.