[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: games that are more inconvenient than they are challenging

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: Silent_Hill_2.jpg (41KB, 320x462px) Image search: [Google]
Silent_Hill_2.jpg
41KB, 320x462px
ITT: games that are more inconvenient than they are challenging
>>
File: Bloodborne.jpg (45KB, 288x345px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne.jpg
45KB, 288x345px
>>
>>381643778
SH3 was worse in that regard than SH2, at least from what my feeble brain can remember.
>>
>>381643778
SH2 is completely brain dead in terms of combat.
Also the enemy variety is dismal, no excuse for that really.
>>
>>381643778
I remember I played this up to getting in that creepy ass hotel. Couldn't find out what to do next. Between that and everyone saying the hd remake was shit I dropped it.
>>
>>381643868
This. Even cheating with cloud saves doesn't help
>>
wasn't it the point?
>>
>>381645676
If you have a pair of balls and aren't scared of polygons moving around on a screen, the actual gameplay is just annoying
>>
>>381643778
To be fair, survivor horror games from that era were meant to be beaten in less than 3 hours once you got good at them. Keep in mind you was playing a (mostly) predetermined scenario rather than a sandbox, so once you memorized where the monsters were placed and the puzzles then of course the challenge turns into inconvenient tedium. The bad controls of the era didn't help either, making things that you know are suppose to be straight forward but aren't because the character controls like shit combined with bad camera angles.
>>
>>381645887
What about
>>381643868
How is the tedium of sitting through load screens, backtracking and farming items considered challenging?
>>
What a disgusting thread
>>
File: 1497932785341.png (597KB, 663x856px) Image search: [Google]
1497932785341.png
597KB, 663x856px
>>381646332
Nobody is arguing that design choices like backtracking, etc. aren't more tedious than they are challenging. Even the game designers know this. My point is games from SH2's era at least had some reasonable excuses like the limitations of the technology vs what they was trying to accomplish, or the fact they was still trailblazing things like how cameras should work in 3D environments. Also I have no idea why you brought up loading times. Yes, they can be inconvenient but that's a different topic.
>>
>>381648123
Ok I can accept that for Silent Hill, good point. What do you think about modern games that do it though?
>>
I don't understand what you mean by a game being inconvenient
>>
>>381649364
Instead of something needing practice or skill to beat, it just adds something tedious or overly cumbersome.
>>
>>381649545
>it just adds something tedious or overly cumbersome.
and what was that in Silent Hill 2?
>>
File: 874.jpg (68KB, 1092x648px) Image search: [Google]
874.jpg
68KB, 1092x648px
>>381648321
Off the bat, modern games haven't escaped the "limitations of the technology vs what they are trying to accomplish" bit, but I think the problem nowadays has to do more with shit like having to meet deadlines, development time/costs going through the roof, etc. so naturally the sacrifices in game play developers make have to do more with that rather than having a shitty amount of ROM and slow CPU to work with and all that. There's also always going to be the eternal factors of game designers that are just bad/lazy at designing fun games.
>>
>>381649827
well nothing now that it's been explained in >>381648123

>>381650035
interesting, thanks
>>
Silent Hil 2 is an experience. Silent Hill 3 is a video game.
>>
File: 300px-Zeldawindwaker01[1].jpg (23KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Zeldawindwaker01[1].jpg
23KB, 300x225px
>>381643778
I got you covered, op
>>
Im happy i beat sh2 when i did, i tried it again more recently and i just couldnt get into the combat specifically . I just hit the first enemy with a pipe a billion times then died and gave up
>>
Dork Souls.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.