[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this any good? Does it live to the original?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: black mesa.jpg (41KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
black mesa.jpg
41KB, 460x215px
Is this any good? Does it live to the original?
>>
>live up to the original
yes
>good
no
>>
Absolutely. It goes to show just how marvelous the game was, and the developers did an incredible job preserving it.
>>
>>381626494
>tfw hl2 lacks great MP mods that hl1 had
>>
It's pretty good but there's no Xen yet and I like Xen
>>
>>381626494
It's a very good companion game to the original. I think the devs did a great job, I particularly like what they did to Lambda Core, my second favorite level - great art, expanded sections and firefights.

It doesn't replace the original, but it's good in its own way.
>>
>>381626494
is it just a graphical and engine overhaul remake type thing, or a reimagining/retelling?
>>
>>381627594
the story was told through the environment in Half Life so in changing the engine and the graphics they did do a sort of retelling
>>
It's pretty good as far remakes go, especially one made by an indie team.
>>381627594
story is the same but the game is full of smaller-scale changes.
>connections to HL2
>scenery changes
>graphics
>some extra NPC interaction
>some weapons are placed differently
Downside is that it's still unfished (no xen)
That's about all I can remember. I replayed it this year after leaving it alone since it came out and they improved it a lot.
>>
Xen is pushed back to December
>>
>>381628181
>>some weapons are placed differently
They're also balanced differently. SMG is not completely atrocious, for example.
>>
>>381627594

It's more of a re-imagining and the quality of work isn't quite as polished as something coming from a team of professionals, but it's an excellent overhaul.

It's not as robust as Half-Life but I blame the Source engine on that one.
>>
>>381626494
movement is weak as fuck compared to hl1, which is its biggest flaw
>>
>>381628708
don't ever make jokes like that
>>
>>381629451
>he doesn't know
http://steamcommunity.com/games/362890/announcements/detail/2767873904708195662
>>
>>381629451

I just want them to expand on the native wildlife, maybe toy with adding known cut enemies from HL back in or new ones altogether. They need to introduce new gimmicks other than long jumping too.
>>
>>381627316

Wait, didn't BM come out in 2014? There's still no fucking Xen?
>>
File: 1470346248510.png (440KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1470346248510.png
440KB, 633x758px
>>381629508
There better be a good graphical overhaul if they're going to make us wait until nigh fucking 2018
>>
>>381629649
Xen was supposed to come out this summer, but it was delayed until like December or so.
>>
>>381629815
why the fuck does it keep getting delayed? hasn't work been ongoing on the game for like the past 4 years?
>>
File: 1460049862537.png (291KB, 811x436px) Image search: [Google]
1460049862537.png
291KB, 811x436px
Im gay for HL1, its in my top 3 of best games made, and yes, it goes above and beyond for what a free mod(now buyable for fluff and XEN*)

I followed this mod from day 1, and stuck with it for its like fucking 6 years of dev time. Enjoyed every second of it, its insanely faithful and very well made, better than even AAA aside from some VA, not to say HL1 had good VA.

It had some amazing moments, like if you saved enough people before that infamous long elevator to ladder jump during office complex, the rest actually have animations and scripts to chill on the furniture and walls before it, and one of the Barneys eggs you on in good spirits to keep going, this is the end of Office Complex.

Music, while INSANELY different, is very fitting, I heard a lot of tracks before release and wrote it off, but it does a fantastic job with its far different OST from the original, and I think the original is one of gamings best in terms of fitting the atmosphere.

Not sure how it is gameplay wise, grunts had pure aimbot and were a bit BS on release when I played the mod, they probably nerfed them for good reason. I love challenge, but not insane aimbot.

No XEN yet which is a shame, some people dislike Xen, but I love it, and I love HL1/GoldSrc platforming, its so good that it spawned an entire FUCKING community around it with KZ maps(Kreedz) across multiple games and mods because its platforming was so good.

All in all, amazing, worth buying for the Xen update when it hits, I have high hopes, im super petty with HL1 and Black Mesa on release for free blew me away, it did everything and more.

Also best song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtTmiYA5D4k
>>
>>381627316
Wait, what the fuck? There's STILL no Xen? I heard about this game in 2012 and back then it was already complete up to Xen, how the actual fuck have they not finished it yet
>>
>>381630123
They want it organic and alive, how it was conceptualized, thats pretty hard.
>>
>>381629975
Not sure, they mentioned they wanted the "quality" to be good, but my guess is there is still a shitload of bugs and they do not have the manpower to finish it on time.

I am pretty urked as well, I don't want to play Black Mesa until it is complete since it feels like stopping and picking back up on Xen would be weird.
>>
>>381626494
How would we know if it isn't Early 2017 yet?
>>
>>381629976
People complain too much about HECUs. They weren't even that hard, people are just used to Half-Lives being easy on Hard, I guess.

I don't really like what they did with alien grunts, too small, too easy to kill.
>>
>>
>>381629728
At least they were willing to show with evidence why it's getting pushed back and where the bar is raised
>>
the base sections are ok, but the outdoor chapter, Surface Tension, the best part of HL1 was a pretty big dissapointment
>>
>>381630491
>tfw I always disliked most of Surface Tension but I love On A Rail
>>
>>381630614
see a doctor, you need to be diagnosed
>>
>>381626494
How the fuck does this looks better than the official Source one? Will this be a good buy?
>>
>>381630491
Surface Tension is way longer now than in the mod
>>
>>381630704
they got Source 2 rights for paid version.
>>
>>381630640
Open environments don't look good in GoldSrc. The dam and cliff face setpieces were great, the rest? Not so much, IMO.

>>381630704
HL Source is a straight port of original assets to Source engine.
>>
>>381630851
Half life source is literally gamebroken, it has absurd bugs that destroy progression.
>>
>>381630803
The paid version isn't source 2 at all. It's source 2013 (mod version was source 2007 which is lacking multi core) with further enhancements.
>>
>>381631063
Paid is a source 2 version.
>>
>>381626494
It's absolutely perfect. Especially the latter parts of surface tension are superb!
>>
File: wrench guys.jpg (45KB, 478x345px) Image search: [Google]
wrench guys.jpg
45KB, 478x345px
Like people did with Killing Floor 2 once it left Early Access, I'm refunding this turd

Only idiots like this cobbled together mess with the full retard soldier AI
>>
>>381631165
It's not fucking source 2 just because you say it is. I bet you don't even know what source 2007 and 2013 even are.

https://forums.blackmesasource.com/index.php/Thread/17088-Happy-Birthday-Half-life/?postID=564289#post564289 here's word direct from the lead dev.
>>
>>381631436
they completely redid the AI for the paid version...
>>
>>381631516
Yes, I own the paid version and the AI still sucks - which is why I'm refunding it once it leaves early access
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.