[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Atmospheric Puzzle-Platformer/-Adventure Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: tfw fez sequel never.jpg (162KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tfw fez sequel never.jpg
162KB, 1920x1080px
Looking for recommendations for atmospheric puzzle-platformers/-adventures. Games I've played & enjoyed include
>FEZ
>Antichamber
>The Witness
>Limbo, Inside
>Knytt, Knytt Stories, Knytt Underground
>Portal 1 & 2
>Myst 1–5, Obduction
>Little Nightmares
>VVVVVV

I'm about to start
>Never Alone
>Ori and the Blind Forest
>>
>>381620572
Talos Principle
>>
>>381621098
I tried playing this. Something about the setting or puzzle types bothered me.

The puzzles just felt flat, the main objective usually involved not getting blown up by turrets/drones while moving between areas.
>>
File: 1482439423045.jpg (889KB, 1863x2185px) Image search: [Google]
1482439423045.jpg
889KB, 1863x2185px
pic + Shadow of the Colossus
>>
>>381622550
Is there a v2 for this image? Also what does "cinematic" mean here?
>>
>>381622151
The puzzle elements are all pretty mundane, but they get complex enough towards the end that the puzzles were still interesting in my opinion. Also, the story is pretty good, and completely optional.
>>
Are you looking for Metroidvanias too? You listed Ori and the Blind Forest, which isn't much of a puzzle platformer, only like two or three small puzzle-like parts.
>>
>>381623642
Sure, I can take some recommendations there.

I'm considering Hollow Knight, but I'm not sure yet.
>>
>>381623869
Hollow Knight is good so far, I'm about four hours into it, supposed to be a really long game.
Ori and the Blind Forest is good, though it's a but linear and short. Still one of my favorite 2D platformers ever.
Guacamelee is fun, though the humor is a bit shit with the memes and lame "heehee, this is like Metroid" jokes. It's still a cool setting anyway, Mexican with a Day of the Dead theme.
Axiom Verge is really good, for some reason there's a huge split on this one, but I think it's a good Metroid-like game with some interesting ideas.
La-Mulana 2 is one that really is both a Metroidvania and a Puzzle platformer. It can be extremely cryptic and challenging at times, though. Took me 40 hours to beat even using a guide through half of it.
Dust: An Elysian Tail is alright, play that when you run out of others to play.
>>
Without a doubt, Stephen's Sausage Roll
>>
>>381624401
>La-Mulana 2
I meant the first one. Sorry, I just read an email about the sequel since I backed it.
>>
Naissancee
>>
>>381623315
A gravitation toward realism and unique set-pieces. Realism restricts level design, they tend to be puzzle-focused. It's called cinematic because they evoke the feeling of movies by changing up the pacing because of the setpieces. Of course several games in the image are more arcadey (Oddworld, PoP, Blackthorne) and have less scripted parts and more repetition, but they're still close enough to the founder Prince of Persia. PoP inspired Another World and that really kicked off the genre and inspired Ico.

There is no V2 (yet) but if there was it would probably include Rain World and Unravel.
>>
>>381623597
The story was the part that kept me going for a while, but something about the game mechanics bothered me. I'm not sure how to put my finger on it.

It might have been that most of the movement was lateral. It felt like they segmented zones in a flat area to create levels. Though this may have changed in later levels, the game's been sitting on my backlog.

Also something about the obstacle types bothered me. Sometimes they just felt out of place, like they didn't mesh with the atmosphere/surroundings (and not in the Obduction way where the oddities were central/integrated into the plot). It made it feel like they just placed them there to create puzzles in a nice surrounding, instead of tailoring the puzzle to the surroundings. Maybe there was a good explanation for this later.
>>
>>381624582
I bought this along with Kairo, but I've only played through Kairo.

I mostly enjoyed Kairo, but it was getting close to feeling like a walking simulator where you explore esoteric fantasy worlds instead of a puzzle game. (The ending level with the looping puzzles was nice though.)

NaissanceE looked like it leaned even more towards walking simulator than Kairo from the trailer, so I haven't touched it yet.
>>
>>381624401
>Hollow Knight is good so far, I'm about four hours into it, supposed to be a really long game.
Is there a lot of grinding for this game?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.