[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is FF8 really bad or is it a meme to hate it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 21

File: ff8.jpg (27KB, 256x250px) Image search: [Google]
ff8.jpg
27KB, 256x250px
Is FF8 really bad or is it a meme to hate it?
>>
>>381555580
boring as fuck
story was shit
characters were shit
draw system was retarded

objectively a 4/10 Final Fantasy game
>>
>>381555580
First FF I played so naturally I love it. I don't give a fuck what /v/ thinks.
>Them classic mix of technology and magic
>>
>>381555580
It has some good things like the graphics, music and FMVs, but otherwise I never liked the story, never liked the characters and I certainly never liked the battle system.
>>
Story is bat-shit crazy, but it's kinda cool to go to all the different places and see what unfolds.
Gameplay isn't that great. The "growth" system is finding better spells to equip to your stats to make them better; enemies scale with your level so leveling is pointless. At least the ATB bar is quick on the fastest setting. It's not sluggish at all, like Slow-Motion Fantasy IX.
Squall, Quistis, Laguna, and Edea are the only good characters, but they're really good.
Music is actually 10/10, GOAT OST.

It's not the greatest game, but I think it's at least playable and the world sucks you in, which is a big need for me with FF games.
>>
>>381555580
its a meme.

The game is really fun and has a super fun junction / magic system.

People too dumb to try out new things will hate it tho.

Also the card game triple triad is probably the best minigame of any vidya ever.
>>
>>381555710
and laguna being a cute goof.
>>
>>381555710
You should.
>>
One of the boss fights is retarded. It's the one where you face the boss that was encased in cement or something in space. Edea? Probably took me weeks to try. I forgot why it shows how ganked the gameplay is but I remember you didn't have Rinoa, and so I had to rely on Zach and Quistis. You have to constantly use armor for magic and damage and haste and revive health. I'll just say it's a fucking mess. The game expects you to have used Squalls sword the whole time when mainly everyone, including me, spams GFs.
>>
I love it. Great music, beautiful prerendered backgrounds, has triple triad, best summons, and combat is serviceable.
>>
File: 1273259627191.jpg (61KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1273259627191.jpg
61KB, 800x600px
>>381556302
>>381556368
>>381556426
>>
>>381556402
That fight is against Adel, the sorceress who used to rule Esthar. She "junctions" Rinoa to her body, so if you do GF attacks, they hit Rinoa too, and it's Game Over if she dies. This fight made me start the entire game over because I had to learn how to play without using GFs. You can beat the first 3 Discs relying on GFs and not paying attention to magic/junctioning, but once you hit that boss at the beginning of disc 4, you have to have good spells/stats or your toast.
>>
>>381556181
>Squall
Boo hoo I'm an orphan let me cry about it for 10 years
>Quistis
Bland doormat who only maintains usefulness and relevancy while she's being ignored/told to fuck off by Squall
>Laguna
Annoying retard and a beta
>Edea
What does she even do that's so special?
>>
>>381556601
Cactaur king mushtasche is godly.
>>
>>381556667
Which wouldn't be so bad if every GF could learn the same abilities i.e let you junction your health, instead of forcing you to have one character 1000 HP behind the others.
>>
File: 1476564218008.jpg (361KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1476564218008.jpg
361KB, 1920x1080px
>>381556426
>>
>>381556667

so the game forces you to not be an idiot for a single moment, and rather than strategising, you just restart the game?
>>
>>381555580
the story is a hit or miss for some. The characters after their introduction fall into the background.
The battle system can be broken.
Squall is very unlikable to many and those who do like him for the reason people hate him. If you are a depressed teenager than this game is for you.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgOHKCks5hs
>>
>>381556669
>Squall
A lot of is inner dialogue is relatable. He is a pretty realistic character, aside from being somewhat of a prodigy. His struggle with dependence on other people hits home with me. Plus, he's only 17 and becomes the leader of an army trying to fight a world threat. He's got some issues to whine about.
>Quistis
Fab, and she's not an annoying spaz like Selphie. Her limit breaks are hilarious too (see Laser Eye).
>Laguna
I can see how people would find him annoying, but he's just a good-natured guy doing his best. Literally did nothing wrong.
>Edea
The most fab of them all. Morticia dress, that headdress, cape, ice powers, what's not to like?

Characters are not a strong point in VIII.
>>
>>381556856
Yeah I had absolutely no spells and no way to get any more. I was a kid when I first played it. Figuring out how to play it the right way was my restrategization.
>>
>>381557129
>His struggle with dependence on other people hits home with me.

You do know you can avoid relying on people without being an edgy lone wolf faggot about it, right?
>>
>>381556667
You can farm a bit and junction some magic before the boss IIRC. but yes, it took a relentless amount of tries and a whole lot of luck plus some junctioned magic that was seldom used. That is one of the biggest flaws about the game. It's still enjoyable, it just sucks for an inexperienced FFVIII player to come across.

I know a lot of people don't like the story, but I found it charming. I do have to say I liked the first disc idea more with the soldiers, but the romance segments and the dual story's are nice. It kind of reflects squall and rinoas story. It's so weird. I know the game is so flawed in all aspects yet I still would recommend it. I'm not sure why though. I suppose it's flawed but you have to look past it to see what it makes up for. Which is a nice teenage romance game.
>>
>>381555685
Ever played FF12?
>Main player character is basically a sideshow npc that tags along for no reason
I have never felt so irrelevant in my entire life. Also better learn to get good at gambits or struggle against the mediocre bosses.
Honorable mentions:
>Deserts
>Wolves
>Wolves
>Wolves
>Mimic savepoint
>Touch 1 of the random 18, unmarked boxes in the game and miss out on the ultimate weapon
10/10
>>
>>381555580
It's a meme. People just parrot other people's opinions to fit in.
>>
>>381557313
You know that that's what the fucking story arc of Squall is, right? He literally fucking says it out loud at some point.
>>
>>381557387
12 is shit, everybody knew it back then, only special snowflakes trying to be different from everyone else pretend to like it now.
>>
>>381557129
I only see the people who hate laguna as whiney faggots. He doesn't act like a bitch who needs coddling.
>>
>>381557313
That's Squall's issue; he is an edgy lone wolf because he doesn't understand how to trust in and depend on other people. He develops those skills over the course of the game and that's why I like him. He learns how to trust people again, how to get attached even though he could possibly lose somebody. He stops being the edgy lone wolf and steps up to the plate to save the world.
>>
Its worse than 7 and 9.
>>
>>381557814
Are you saying that he has an actual...CHARACTER ARC?!
>>
>>381557387
12 was fucking boring though.
>>
>>381557931
the entire game is his character arc
>>
>>381557129
>Plus, he's only 17 and becomes the leader of an army trying to fight a world threat.

Even before that he would act like an asshole to people who were only trying to be nice to him.
>>
>>381557657
>>381557987
That final boss.
>Casts magic that makes it invincible for 5 minutes
>Stand around guarding, drinking potion, healing
>Actually left the game running while I went to make myself coffee and the gambit system managed to kill him
>>
>>381557814
i dont think squall was every really edgy at all desu

just some lonely guy who kept to himself.

he wasnt some massive cringelord or anything.
>>
>>381558146
Elaborate.
>>
File: Squall.jpg (118KB, 684x552px) Image search: [Google]
Squall.jpg
118KB, 684x552px
>>
>>381558319
At the very beginning of the game Quistis is trying to talk to him and he just ignores her like a 5 year old with low functioning autism.
>>
>>381558412
>annoying slut keeps trying to steal your SeeD
>giving her the time of day
He did the right thing.
>>
File: 28952685_p0.jpg (262KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
28952685_p0.jpg
262KB, 750x600px
>>381557313
Replay it now that you're an adult. Don't choose edgelord pissy options (that I don't think are canonical anyway). Even by FH he's actually changing and admitting his problems to himself. He grew up in orphan in a military academy in a post-war world where little girls were being snatched up from everywhere. A lot of his inner dialogue is really reflecting on himself and criticizing the way he is and it's one of the few games where there's character evolution where it's not just something bad happens or good happens, he really examines his behavior (in FH one of the Familiar Faces is a little surly and he comments how that's how people must see him and it's not really great, is it?). He's not edgy or emo, he's just fucked up like all of them were.

They all act certain ways because they were all basically abandoned and experienced loss. Selphie isn't a spaz, she acts that way to cheer people up because she thinks that's what people want from her. Quistis was adopted and then abandoned and struggles to form close relationships with others (and blurts her feelings out). Irvine is the one that didn't forget and found solace in playing the Cool Guy Ladies Man. Zell was adopted into a military family and went to Garden because he wanted to make his adopted family proud. Rinoa isn't as bad because she's the Realistic Teen who lost her mom at a young age and has a dad who works for a fascist dictator (and probably didn't hug her). Seifer is holding on to a childhood dream because that's all he's got.

It's great but incredibly flawed. If you didn't know, they also meant for it to be from Squall's POV which is part of why a lot of characters end up being screwed over. I hate new Square style and I'd hate to see how they'd bomb the worldbuild, but I'd want a remake just for dialogue and rounding it out.

Also, if you're getting the Steam version they include some missing things and you can auto-get a lot of first and mid tier magic, which is nice.
>>
File: FFVIII comic.png (103KB, 815x612px) Image search: [Google]
FFVIII comic.png
103KB, 815x612px
My opinion about FFVIII? It's a brilliant but in many ways flawed game.

In my OPINION it also gets a lot of undeserved hate where the players are blaming the game for their own shortcomings. Some examples of this include people complaining about drawing when they simply could have just refined the useless shit in their inventory to magic instead, whining battles being nothing but summoning GFs over and over again when you are much better of fighting with your physical attacks and/or limit breaks instead, complaining about how easy/broken FFVIII is when playing through it using a guide or complaining the GF amnesia coming out of nowhere when it's constantly foreshadowed all the way up to the orphanage scene.

Also if people played the other FFs with the same mentality they seem to play FFVIII they'd complain about how you absolutely cannot gain a single level in FFVI until you get the +2 espers, how you absolutely must be at level 99 before leaving Midgar in FFVII or how it's an absolute necessary to get Excalibur II in FFIX.
No one is forcing you to Draw for 100 of every magic in every battle. No one is forcing you to fight by summoning GFs over and over again. No one is forcing you to spend ages playing the card game to get Lionheart on disc 1. No one is forcing you to break the junction system. Etc... all of those are things YOU did voluntarily did yourself to make your game less fun.

That said FFVIII is an OK game if you just play through it normally (like you'd do with any other FF game) but is still one of the weaker entries in the series.
>>
>>381557321
Yeah there's probably a way to get some spells at that point. I guess I was just too ignorant to figure it out so I figured I'd start over. Only game I've ever done that with.

Charming is a good word for it. The first disc does a really great job at world building and then it kinda goes off the rails later on. Even though it goes in a direction completely different from what the first disc sets up, the places you go and events that take place are still pretty cool—Esthar as a whole, going out into space against all odds to save the girl, Ultimecia's castle. It's a wacky ride, but it's pretty cool.
>>
>>381558490
>>annoying slut keeps trying to steal your SeeD
>>giving her the time of day
He did exactly that to Rinoa so I don't see your point.
>>
>>381558412
And that's why he is an asshole? Because he didn't care about what Quistis has to say?
>>381558634
So, your issue is that he chose Rinoa instead of Quistis? Is that why he is an asshole?
>>
>>381556402
Eh, that's just old style JRPG. You see a lot of the gimmick or forced party fights in PSX and earlier. You don't really see many these days so I get why people hate it (and Ultimecia's Castle), but it actually required you have some kind of strategy rather than just junction and Devour/Bonus stat and attack recklessly. FF7 ended in mostly 9999 damage for everyone so I just used normal attacks always. I don't necessarily love it, but i don't hate it.
>>
>>381558634
Rinoa brainwashed him with her sorcerers powers though.
>>
>>381558695
he lost to siefer so I would imagine he was butt hurt about that
>>
>>381558172
Yeah he's not that bad. He's just in that annoying "everyone just leave me alone" stage teens go through.
>>
>>381559006
That's what I think as well. And despite that he still gives Selphie the tour. He just doesn't like Quistis, and I don't blame him for that.
>>
>>381559025
which is why a lot of people don't like him. That stage is something everyone tends to hate
>>
>>381559147
why she is a hottie
>>
>>381556669
Squall: Stays awake at night reexamining his behavior.

Quistis: Makes uncomfortable jokes and clearly anxious, is actually the reason Squall gets his ass into gear and goes into space to save Rinoa. She also wasn't ignored or told to fuck off, did you even play the game? Japanese was less harsh, but it's obvious she, who was a teen instructor, had no one to talk to and saw herself in him. Later dialogue makes a point that that is what it was, not that it was her trying to hit that. She had no friends and thought he'd understand.

Laguna: Yes, but in a good way.

Edea: She's hot, but could've used more involvement fair enough.

It's 2017, I can't believe people are still thinking like they're 10 or whatever and are incapable of understanding subtleties (or in some cases super obvious and direct) character flaws. The biggest flaw with the characters in this game is that at a certain point, they stopped caring about visible progress and interaction between everyone.
>>
>>381558571
>They all act certain ways because they were all basically abandoned and experienced loss. Selphie isn't a spaz, she acts that way to cheer people up because she thinks that's what people want from her. Quistis was adopted and then abandoned and struggles to form close relationships with others (and blurts her feelings out). Irvine is the one that didn't forget and found solace in playing the Cool Guy Ladies Man. Zell was adopted into a military family and went to Garden because he wanted to make his adopted family proud. Rinoa isn't as bad because she's the Realistic Teen who lost her mom at a young age and has a dad who works for a fascist dictator (and probably didn't hug her). Seifer is holding on to a childhood dream because that's all he's got.

That's exactly my point. Everyone else went through the same "abandoned" experience as him, so why should I feel sorry for this fucking pussy who only ever replies with "..." or "whatever" when directly spoken to? He treats Quistis and Zell like shit and never apologizes for it, yet lets Rinoa (who is infinitely more annoying and childish) latch onto him simply because the plot demands it.
>>
>>381559210
So what? She has about as much personality as Yuna from X, which is to say: zilch.
They're all hot, but at least Selphie is fun and Rinoa comes from rich parents.
>>
>>381559220
>She also wasn't ignored or told to fuck off, did you even play the game?

Did you? Every single one of his interactions with her for the first disc has been exactly that. He'd either ignore her or respond with "whatever", and one time he outright told her to "Go talk to a wall".
>>
File: 1497175319168.png (95KB, 287x421px) Image search: [Google]
1497175319168.png
95KB, 287x421px
>quistisfags
>>
>>381558602
This is a great point. When I've played VIII in the past, after learning about Card/Refining, I felt like I had to Card every enemy I encountered, get 100 of every spell, and so on. Even when I didn't know about Card, I would sit and draw spells for hours till everyone had 100 of everything possible and it was such a chore. I just started playing this game again and decided I wouldn't stress so much about maxing everything out and just try to play through with what I could get easily (Water from the fish fins, Quake from Dino Bones from the Brothers card) and just have fun playing the game. It's been a lot more enjoyable this time around and isn't the difficult/patience-testing game I once thought it was.
>>
>>381558695
>Because he didn't care about what Quistis has to say?

Well yes, that's pretty much what an asshole is. If you're going to act like you're too good for everyone around you and treat people who are trying to be nice to you like shit, then you're a pretty arrogant asshole.
>>
>>381559821
On the same day or the day before he got his face sliced open by a douchebag. I know you would probably fall on to your knees if Quistis spoke to you after getting your arms chopped off by Chad the day before, but Squall doesn't.

I know Quistis is your waifu and everything, but give it a rest.
>>
>>381555580
People hate the draw system but it breaks the game just as easily as other FFs. The story is fine, but told poorly. Aside from that it has the best OST, best dungeons, best towns, best optional summons, best mini game, Laguna, Balamb Garden.
>>
>>381558571
>Rinoa isn't as bad because she's the Realistic Teen

Oh look this meme again.
>>
>>381559672
>what is character development and actions speaking louder than words
>>
>>381559672
first disc he was a dick to everyone, look at how he treated zell.

go talk to a wall wasn't in the japanese version btw. and the rest is basically how he communicated with everyone. sorry bro.

>>381559736
nah, i like everyone. everyone is a great characters and fucked up in their own way. some are more socially acceptable or "cute" but they're still messed up.

squall would've never worked with quistis, she does want to be cared for but it's obvious that she has to work on herself first. they make better friends than anything and i love that she becomes his second in command for the most part.
>>
>>381559992
>On the same day or the day before he got his face sliced open by a douchebag.
And how does that give him the right to be an asshole?
>I know Quistis is your waifu and everything, but give it a rest.
My point is that Squall is an unlikable asshole whether you want to admit it or not. Just because you were an edgy loner faggot teenager with no friends too doesn't mean that we can't call a spade a spade.
>>
>>381559362
ah, I don't remember her being like Yuna
Yuna did suck
>>
>>381560331
>look at how he treated zell.

When Zell tried to shake hands with him he refused.
>>
>>381560331
>look at how he treated zell.
Poor Zell. I'm pretty sure Squall even laughed at Seifer paying him out on the ship to Dollet.
>>
>>381560331
>>381560487
Oh whoops my bad you're right. I misread your post, sorry. That changes nothing though.
>>
>>381559284
You don't have to feel sorry for him, though? That's not the point. I don't feel sorry for any of them even if some of it I'd probably call sad. I think you also have to consider it from the perspectives we didn't see because it's clear that Zell and Quistis just accepted it and carried on, understanding and supporting him. It's shit that we never really saw progress (even for Rinoa).

I wouldn't call Squall a pussy, though and again, I don't feel sorry for him or anything. Sometimes I want to smack him and he drives me nuts (I wish we'd had more time with the other characters when we get to "main" them), but he was consistent and he changed.

It's also worth considering that he had all this foisted on him because he was the one who went back and told Cid and Edea to create Garden. If anything, we should all just hate Cid (who also admits he's weak and a coward) for pushing this all on Squall, especially the way he did for a flimsy reason like that. By all means, you can hate Squall and that's cool we all have character preferences, but after replaying it as an adult and having experienced a lot of the more basic themes of it in extreme ways myself, it's something I relate to and can appreciate it and I think Squall was handled well, it's just the way the entire game and interactions happened that weren't.
>>
>>381560385
And now you're projecting.

I don't know about you, but if I got into a fight, the last thing I would want to do is to talk about the feelings of my teacher. If anyone is an asshole in this situation, it's quistis for pushing herself on him at a really shitty time. After a bullshit fight and right before the exams.
>>
>>381556402
RPG doesn't reward me for spamming shit.
"This game is bad"
>>
>>381560689
>And now you're projecting.
As were you.
>I don't know about you, but if I got into a fight, the last thing I would want to do is to talk about the feelings of my teacher.
So the only other option is to ignore her like a 5 year old?
>If anyone is an asshole in this situation, it's quistis for pushing herself on him at a really shitty time.
So the only option is to act like a douche and just ignore them? Maybe I wasn't off the mark about you after all.
>>
>>381560093
AS bad. I think a lot of her dialogue is cringeworthy and she's not a character type I enjoy (to my knowledge she was even more annoying in the Japanese version), but I don't really dislike her anymore. I wish she'd had the same progress that Squall had, but I promise I am never angrier than I'M SERIOUS TOO HERE'S A GIFT bullshit she pulls. Not even because she didn't know how to get the bracelet on, but she didn't even consider that if it didn't work she might have died or ruined a plan that was more likely to work. She was a child and dumb and on the outside, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to throttle her.

I guess I like everyone for the potential that was missed out. I've become more fond of her over time, but I don't think she's as bad as everyone makes her out to be.
>>
>>381555580
better than 10-12-13-15
>>
>Squall's health stays in the yellow the entire playthrough

who else BERSERKER MODE?!
>>
>>381560672
Well ok, maybe I will play it again. Or maybe just watch a LP since I can't stand the gameplay. And yeah FF8 suffers from the "idiot plot" where everyone except Squall is fucking retarded.
>>
>play FFVIII for the first time when it came out in 1999
>I found it "meh" but didn't hate it

>play through it again couple of months later
>figure out how to refine magic
>have a much better time with the game

>play through it again couple of years later
>figure shitloads of story related things out
>have even better time with the game

>play through it one more time couple of years ago
>still find out new thing both gameplay- and storywise
>apart from the "romance" between Squall and Rinoa annoying the fuck out of me now I had a great time with the game and it honestly has become my favorite out of the PSX main FF games over the years

Anyone else feel this way about FFVIII?
>>
>>381560982
I also don't like the way she's almost always let off the hook for constantly getting in everyone's way and endangering the lives of her comrades, the one time she does get reprimanded for it we're supposed to feel sorry for her. Not to mention she and Squall have less than zero chemistry together yet I'm to believe they're fated lovers?
>>
>>381560689
The more I've played it, the less I look at it as her hitting on him and just looking for someone to relate to (even if it was pretty blatant flirting in the Fire Cavern). I don't think either of them were shitty for it, though? They're both fucked up and were dealing with stress and pressure and being on the brink of war (and lost memories) and so forth.

I don't see why it always has to be BUT SQUALL WAS A DICK or BUT QUISTIS DID THIS or whatever. They're all fucked up and all make a ton of mistakes. Why is fandom always so against flawed characters?
>>
File: 14664948331700.jpg (51KB, 600x693px) Image search: [Google]
14664948331700.jpg
51KB, 600x693px
>>381561015
>not using Aura non-stop
>>
>>381561083
Sorry if I'm sounding overly defensive, but it's so weird with 8 it feels like you have to be if you like anyone (let alone everyone). It's kinda dumb, but I like that about it? I like the UFOs and Doomtrain and everything about the sudden "hard left turn" that people suggest comes up more than I do it being an absolutely serious game.

It was definitely executed poorly overall, but I think you might be pleasantly surprised and enjoy how dumb it is? It sucks about character progression at a certain point, but a lot of dialogue I feel is really nice and iconic in its own way. I'd give it a chance if you're up to it, but I know playing an older JRPG always means losing at least 50 hours so I would never argue that you should. Just go into it going they're all social retards and it becomes that much more bearable. There's some nice Easter eggs about time compression early in, too.
>>
File: 1468154386255.png (110KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1468154386255.png
110KB, 500x500px
>>381561083
>everyone except Squall is fucking retarded.
>>
>>381555580
>Is FF8 really bad or is it a meme to hate it?
Kinda both. It's not nearly as bad as people make out. It suffered a lot on release from coming out after 7 hyped the series into the stratosphere. It's not great, either, but at the end of the day it gets judged as an FF game. A bad FF is still typically an above-average JRPG. You could do a lot worse.
>>
>>381561772
Bitch boy, I'll have the opponent dead before you could even get your turn and finish the animation for the cast.

>low health
>initiative
>get fucked faggots
>>
>>381561092
Nah, I figured out the magic system in my first playthrough.
Aside from Squall being a faggot and somo plot related idiocy, It was a great game in 99.
>>
>>381561263
Oh, I agree on that. I think of it sort of like they begrudgingly are like well she's normal and just trying her best (and maybe see parts of themselves in her that way). I think it was really dumb that they allowed Rinoa to be a valuable party member with Limits pre-plot turn, too, considering she's "normal".

I give the chemistry a pass mostly because I look around me and I see couples like this. I'm not sure if they'd last, especially since I think much like Squall and Quistis they might become better friends than anything else (although post-game Squall and Quistis might work since they've both grown). I also always forget that literally the entire team was pushing Rinoa at him, probably "off-screen" other than the concert, like they thought she'd be good for him. It's a bit uncomfortable. If she'd evolved beyond just "I'm scared" I could've maybe gotten behind it.

Also, did you know Angelo is a female dog?
>>
>>381562084
Yeah, try that against Ultima Weapon kid
>>
>>381562263
>initiative
>holy war

okay pal, betchya I won't need a second one.
>>
File: Let's PLay FF8.png (431KB, 1344x661px) Image search: [Google]
Let's PLay FF8.png
431KB, 1344x661px
>>381555580
I encourage ANYONE who has played FF8...and anyone who has not played FF8... to read Cool Ghost's Let's Play of Final Fantasy VIII.

It will take a long time, it comes with lots and lots of visuals. It's 100%. And it's great.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683043

He's almost at the end. It's been, literally, years. More than 5 years.
>>
It had a lot of bad but a few really solid good points.
-Draw system was slow and shit
-junction system was really poorly designed
-enemies leveling with you made progress feel pointless
-SEED exams controlling your money flow sucked even though there was never really any need for cash
-cutting me off from all fucking towns on the last disc was fucking horseshit
-card game sucked, and certain boss battles meant I was going to have to destroy my rare fucking cards

That said:
-enjoyed the story
-enjoyed the music
-I got a goddamn spaceship, fuck yeah
-graphics were a vast improvement over 7
>>
>>381562856
>more than 5 years
I can beat this gaming in one marathon all nighter.
>>
File: the cycle.png (113KB, 1762x426px) Image search: [Google]
the cycle.png
113KB, 1762x426px
Apparently FFVIII has moved to "reserves more recognition than it gets" category. Where are the other FF games currently at?
>>
File: 1498141622761m.jpg (113KB, 884x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1498141622761m.jpg
113KB, 884x1024px
>>381555580
Its half meme half tru. before i shit on it, let me point out what it did good

>GOAT mini game yet to be topped in any FF title
>probably the best FF OST to date
>beautiful graphics for its time
>interesting GFS (tonberry king, doomtrain, gilgamesh)
>good lead protagonist
>really amazing disk one and garden battle later

but man oh man was everything else so bad it actually overshadowed the good points

>draw system and junctioning were a mistake
>stupid easy to break the game without trying
>could beat the entire game with limit break spam
>really poor supporting cast some of the weakest in all of FF
>nonsensical story even for FF standards
>badly executed plot twist and main villain
>by far the absolute worst most. forced love story in the franchise's history
>rinoa is so retarded she actively makes. everything worse for everyone else and the party constantly had to save her from her own retardation
>awful shops/weapons and no armor makes for shitty character customization

so all in all the game is worth a play through at least once to experience but it's a heavily flawed game. it doesn't deserve all the hate it gets, but it certainly doesn't deserve the praise either
>>
>>381555580
This game would have been near perfect if not for the GF/Junction system. Literally negates all the great things about this game. Having to store spells from monsters instead of just learning the spell forever and using MP to cast it? That's just tedious. It's awful.
>>
>>381562973
Eh, I like all of them at varying degrees. I think they should still be criticized, especially when they don't rely on character progression since that's really the appeal of a game that's 40+ hours vs one that's 6, right?

What Square(-Enix) game that really got shit that's being treated well lately is Chrono Cross. I can't be more pleased because - and I know my opinion is invalid because I feel this way, don't you worry - I liked it more than Trigger. The concept and the music just kind of came together on me. But you can definitely see similarities in color/style in Cross and FF8, I think.

X-2 is getting treated better lately. My hate is lessened but the main issues I had are still there (Yuna's characterization, worldbuild flip to an extreme even though I like the job/sphere systems a lot). On the other hand, 4 is getting a lot of shit because of all the remakes and it being ~boring~, but I'll fight for 4 until the day I die.

>>381562958
Like I said, you get most of the basic and mid tier magic auto on Steam now, as well as maxing out your money (you can't do one or the other). I think maybe they should've auto-started always with a certain amount of magic or made drawing higher. I get why they didn't at the start but when you're pulling 3 spells at a time it makes you want to die.

As for the card game I think ymmv (I wasn't as good at IX's so I didn't like it). Also, if you did the CC sidequest you can regain any rare card by playing them on the Ragnarok, which I know sucks. I've actually never destroyed mine and I've never done the Card Queen sidequest, but I'm doing a replay and I'd like to do a little of both. Because what good are cards in the final battle?
>>
>they still don't understand the theme of magic in this game.

THERE'S A REASON IT'S NOT ALL MAGIC POINTS AND WIZARDS

The only people that can actually use magic are fucking sorceresses. Other than that, everything uses some form of a junction mechanic which catalysts the storage of compressed magics to join with attributes, or be used as they are for their spell effect.
>>
>>381563925
still tedious. it sucks all the fun out of the game, and feels more like a chore you dread rather than something fun you enjoy playing.
>>
>>381562158
>Also, did you know Angelo is a female dog?

No I didn't actually know that.
>>
>>381564028
You could just not stand around grinding magic and just play the game instead?
>>
File: 1498173320574.jpg (59KB, 618x619px) Image search: [Google]
1498173320574.jpg
59KB, 618x619px
>>381563925
i understand perfectly why magic was only for sorceresses. that doesn't make it any less ass to play in the game. the magic system is the second worst in all of ff. only ff3 is worse
>>
viii a shit
>>
This game is one of my Top 10 Fantasy Anime
>>
>>381564223
>stock it
>junction it
>forget it

I thought it was pretty comfy, the only spells worth casting are Aura & Meltdown, and maybe a full-life so once you stock it, you shouldn't ever have to worry about them again, and with magic refine abilities from the GF's, it's super convenient to have 100 stacks of all your magic you need.
>>
I like it.
I also want to sex Ultmecia.
Ragnarok was a pretty sick airship.
>>
File: squallisdead.png (240KB, 436x286px) Image search: [Google]
squallisdead.png
240KB, 436x286px
It's the most kino game of the series
>>
File: 1497940928914m.jpg (44KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1497940928914m.jpg
44KB, 1024x576px
>>381564527
>have to make sure it's not junctioned to a stat
>at any given time all your best magic is tied to a stat meaning you can't use it and have to use a lesser version of it
>have to know up with individual stocks instead of one universal mp number
>have to individually restock magic
>comfy

yeah nah it was tedious and restricting as heck
>>
>>381555580
I don't have the game as a whole, but the plot goes straight up retarded, and the draw system is horrible.
>but triple triad!
Yeah, make me go through three different hoops of mechanics out of my way to get some fucking magic. It's bad enough the junction system is busted.

Outside of that, it can be enjoyable. Fuck Irvine, though. Really. Rinoa can eat a dick, too.
>>
File: 1495522482990.jpg (26KB, 299x277px) Image search: [Google]
1495522482990.jpg
26KB, 299x277px
>>381565130
>Rinoa can eat a dick, too

but anon, she did. two in fact!
>>
>>381564918
>have to make sure it's not junctioned
There's an icon for that next to the listed spells in your catalog as you choose to cast in battle.. But, like I said previously, only three spells are even worth a cast, and that's Meltdown, Aura, and Full-Life.

>at any given time, your best magics are junctioned
And if they're junctioned properly, they'd be on your status or elemental attack attack properties, thus avoiding the need to cast the spell.
>have to stock magic
Yep, that's the idea
>have to keep magic stocked
Magic refining is great for this, but again you shouldn't be using much magic at all if you properly junction it.

Wasn't tedious, and wasn't restricting, you were just too dumb to adapt.
>>
File: 1478446905295.png (116KB, 500x464px) Image search: [Google]
1478446905295.png
116KB, 500x464px
>>381565328
>all that bullshit just to use magic regularly
>just don't cast magic lol

great rebuttal
>>
>>381564223

>only ff3 is worse

Excuse me? What the hell is wrong with III's spellcasting? It's the only one where you can target specificenemy groups, making it one of the best in fact. Your learned spells aren't permanent either, if you make a mistake.

Please elaborate. It's the job points, isn't it?
>>
>>381564918
>>381565456
Magic isn't exactly hard to come by in FFVIII, ever tried to refine all those useless items in your inventory to magic? Or refining lower level magic to higher level one?
>>
>>381565456
>I'm too dumb to junction magic to elemental/status slots
>I just want to cast down all my stocks and then complain that I don't have magic to junction

Great adaption between titles.
>>
Its ok but has some big issues.
If the game would have stayed on track more akin to disc 1 it would have been alot better. They should have heavily expanded the equipment list to something more classic instead of linear weapon upgrades and using magic in lieu of armor
It had some great visuals and most of what isnt related to rinoa can get a pass. Its not my favorite FF by far but I like the entire series for the most part bar 13 for obvious reasons and 11 because its the only numbered title I havent played
>>
The good:
Music
Art
Iconic CGi cutscenes for the ps1 era
Graphics
Character design (the golden era for nomura 97-99)

The bad:
Gameplay
Story
>>
Reminder squall, once he saw the bullet didnt kill the queen
HE FUCKING
ONE HIT A GALBADIAN SOLDIER FROM THE ROOF

STOLE A FUCKING CAR

AND TRIED TO KILL THE QUEEN BY HIMSELF

HE'S THE MOST BADASS
>>
>>381567436
>queen
>>
>>381567923
im retarded
it was witch, not queen edea.
>>
>>381568023
>witch
>>
Triple Triad made this game great. I fuckin loved that card game.
>>
>>381568113
witch, sorceress, whatever
both are magic users
>>
>>381555580
It's bad still better than VII.
>>
>>381557387
12 was a good game, sorry you're such a completionist that missing out on the Lance causes a game to be completely unenjoyable to you.

And the story is great, by the way.
>>
FF 1-10 = good
FF 11-15 = shit
>>
>>381558842
I loved the experience of facing the space boss, it's just considering how I played it it was more like the game really screwed me and now I must strategize, compared to the whole 90% of the game before where no thought was required
>>
File: Bartz, Zidane and Squall.jpg (151KB, 850x804px) Image search: [Google]
Bartz, Zidane and Squall.jpg
151KB, 850x804px
Overall I really, really dislike it, probably my second or third least favorite game in the franchise. But the first two discs were wonderful, the setpieces are amazing [the parade, the amphibious assault, the goddamn GARDEN AIR BATTLE], and Squall was on fast track to being a really interesting progatonist until the third disc started and he got profoundly retarded.
>>
>>381560954
Squall is a douchebag in Disc 1. No one is arguing against that. EVERYONE thinks he's a douchebag. Quistis, Zell, the headmaster, the Dr., Seifer and his group, classmates, teenaged dance-hall sluts who end up becoming your boss, military figures, NPCs in towns etc. Literally everyone thought, "Squall is a cold dick, geez."

The only points are
1) He's designed, written as a character, to be that way. And it stops because he has a character arc throughout the game.
2) It's individually justified because of his past, present and future problems that all happened TO him under circumstances completely outside of his control.

Given what happened, he could have started Disc 1 as a psychopathic mass-murderer. Instead, he just did what he was supposed to and told everyone to leave him alone.
>>
It's in the top 3 best final fantasies
>>
>>381571935
My nigga.
>>
I love FFVIII but yes it is bad.

The gameplay mechanics are completely fucked. You have to actively try to not be overpowered or underpowered, because most players will find themselves in one or the other very easily.
>>
>>381571935
6,7,8,9,10,12 is master race.
>>
>>381573352
>12

nope.
>>
File: 1495245735231.jpg (404KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1495245735231.jpg
404KB, 1200x1200px
>>381573810
yup
>>
>>381573810
>Matsuno game
>not a masterpiece

Even tough half finished, it's fucking great.
>>
>>381555710
I have a lot of problems with the game, but the setting is my favorite out of every FF game.
>>
File: 1496558195441.jpg (58KB, 474x444px) Image search: [Google]
1496558195441.jpg
58KB, 474x444px
The story and characters are bad anime tier.
Squall is a particularly bad protagonist.
Lame villains.
The world design in some of the worst in the series.
General Aesthetics are generic as fuck.

The summoning system is my favorite in the series and the card game is actually fun. I give it some leeway because it was sandwiched between two far superior titles and it was launched the same day as the Dreamcast so my excitement was almost else where concerning this. At least it's better than FF X
>>
>>381574061
>>381573890

Honestly really looking forward to getting my copy of Zodiac Age. I want to see how the sub job system changes things up. Also the boss rush mode with the 5 judge fight at the end in IZJS was some of the hardest shit I had to do.
>>
Can we at least agree that FFVIII has one of the best soundtracks in the entire series?
>>
>>381558571

>Not enough Selphie porn

Why even live
>>
File: 1432002660118.png (442KB, 583x577px) Image search: [Google]
1432002660118.png
442KB, 583x577px
>>381555580
It's one of the legitimately flawed FF from a lot of angles, so it's easy to give it a lot of flack.
>Draw system is tedious and constant
>Party members have NO synergy and outside of Rinoa + Squall + Quistis have 0 importance
>Ultimecia is cool but her goal of Time Compression isn't completely explained, nor is the exact reason x person becomes her next catalyst (you can infer this and that but there's not enough specifics given)
>Story goes up and down in quality
>Squall gets infamously fucked by bad SE translators and becomes "...whatever" kid instead of being literally so soft he distances himself from people to not hurt them ever
>Rinoa is one of the worst girls and only has a few good moments
>Laguna stuff is just...there (but fun)
It's just all over the place. IX goes off the rails during it's 2nd half of the story but has a lot of flaws too, but gets overshadowed by VIII which launched bigger and has more nostalgia.
>>
>>381555580
Seeing what has become of the FF series makes me wish we got another FF8
Thread posts: 143
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.