[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Story adaptability

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Colony_Wars_Coverart.png (121KB, 256x257px) Image search: [Google]
Colony_Wars_Coverart.png
121KB, 256x257px
"Oh, you lost the mission? No prolem! No 'game over' for you - the game's story will just change and take this lost mission into consideration".
Depending if you do well in the game the story is either about you curshing the enemy or about you and your forces being hoeplessly slaughtered by the enemy.
The objectives of following missions change accordingly.
Does any other game do this except for pic related? (Colony Wars)
>>
Not really.
Colony wars was not only an incredible game by itself, but the different story branches were rad as fuck.
>>
>>381546939
Also this game as, to date, one of the best 3D radar ever conceived.
A fucking PS1 game.

Man I really loved that game back then.
>>
>>381546423

Oh shit I remember this game.
There was some death star tier base thing and I actually destroyed it once. There was some friendly fire warning or whatnot and I had to wait for a while until I could keep shooting, so it took forever. But it did eventually explode.
>>
>>381546423
Many SaGa games did that, Romancing SaGa 2 was the first that had such design choice, so many quests had different story branches and outcomes depending on how you fulfilled certain objectives, some quests even changed depending on how you fullfill certain objectives or even how you died, similarly to CW, there was no game over if you died, unless you did in the first or last generation of characters, the game and the world would keep on going, albeit with different scenarios, many other RPGs of the time did that, although the concept of game over was kind of less elastic.
Curiously enough, Star Ixiom, a neat Namco "rail" shooter that fused all of the classic Namco arcade shooters in one setting, had something similar in its campaign mode, so that depending on how fast and efficiently you achieved certain objectives, the weirder shit you'd had to deal with, conversely, the more bases, labs and planets you'd lose the less alien civilizations you'd came in contact with, it still had a game over in case you'd suffer a complete defeat though, extremely underrated game.
>>
>>381546423
Cageshit is like that, for example in Heavy Rain, characters important for plot can die and this will not end up in instant game over, instead the story will slowly approach one of the bad endings.
Most VNs do that too, on bad (and good) choices you'll trigger flags, later the story may branch based on those flags.

Now, as for actual games, some RPGs tend to do that - if you fail a quest then the outcome may be different than just plain game over - some npcs may become hostile, some parts of map unlocked / locked, some quests no longer accessible etc. For example Fallout IIRC had numerous sidequests that can lock you out of some content should you fail them.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.