[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Strategy recommendations for Steam Summer Sales

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

File: Blitzkrieg_01-1-.jpg (257KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Blitzkrieg_01-1-.jpg
257KB, 1600x1200px
Has anyone got any good strategy recommendations for Steam Summer Sales? Everything from RTS to grand strategy, passing through management games. I've played my share, but I wanted to play something new but I don't know what.

Here's my list of recommendations:

>> BLITZKRIEG by Nival Interactive (pic related)
A great WW2 RTS more than a decade old, but still great. You got three campaigns: Allies, Germany and USSR. The twist is: the troops you start with are all you get. No reinforcements. So you better not waste your troops in suicidal attacks! Superior to it's sequels, IMHO.

>>Transport Fever
A relatively new game where you take control of a transport empire and use road, rail, boat and plane to deliver cargo and people where they have to be! Addicitive as fuck!

>>Planetary Annihilation
Ever wanted to wage war across a solar system and de-orbit and asteroid to obliterate your enemy's base? This is the game for you.

>>XCOM: Enemy Unknow
Shoot aliens in a very addictive tactical turn-based game.

>>Silent Storm
An old but very fun WW2 tactical shooter, with some wackyness thrown in.

>>Sim CIty 4
The last good Sim City that came out, IMHO.

>>Homeworld Collection
THE Original true 3D RTS! Now in a pack with the two original games in an original or remastered flavour!

>>Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
An ultra-hardcore, AUTISMUS MAXIMUS level military strategy simulator. And excellent for fans of realistic air and naval combat! Comes with a handy-dandy scenario editor so you can make your own mission at your hearts content!

Honourable mention:
>>Knights and Merchants
A quaint little medieval RTS notable for just one thing: it's logistics system. If you don't supply your troops with food, they'll lose health and ultimately die.

Anyone else got good suggestions?
>>
>silent storm
It's real-time/turn based, squad tactics with completely destructible environments, exoskeletons and lasers (along with a ton of historical weapons and equipment) set during WW2. Has non-linear progression too. The game was released in august 2003 in Russia but still looks and plays really good.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/254960/Silent_Storm_Gold_Edition/
>>
>etherlords 1/2
Heroes like turn based strategy but with a card-based battles game-play more akin to magic the gathering. Has aged really well, same Russian dev as Silent Storm.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/270790/Etherlords_II/
>>
>thought about crusaders kings 2 collection
>its a hundred dollarydoos now
what the fuck
>>
>Vangers
This one is almost 20 years old. And it's probably one of the weirdest games you'll have played.
It is a top-down open world driving rpg with several different endings. I'd rather not delve into the setting or the story. But they are worth playing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264080/Vangers/
>>
>recommending planetary annihilation
go fuck yourself
>>381539870
You can get the base game and pirate dlc's
>>
File: Johan Shekelstein.jpg (383KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Johan Shekelstein.jpg
383KB, 500x750px
>>381539870
Don't buy paradox games. They jacked up the prices to insane lengths. One of the few times where I actually pirated the game because of how insane the prices are.
>>
MechCommander Gold, it's free but not on Steam. You can get it from here:
http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=2934.0

It's a real-time tactics game with resources that persistent and carry over from mission to mission and an emphasis on procuring additional resources by salvaging enemy resources. Between missions, you choose and customize your mechs, make any necessary repairs, and pick their pilots. Pilots perform based on skills which grow based on how much they exercise them, but they can be injured and even permanently killed during missions. You earn some credits based on your mission performance (completing secondary objectives and entering a mission with minimal deployment tonnage rewards bonus credits) and you can spend them in between missions to hire more pilots, repair and refit your mechs, and buy additional mechs and weapons. However, the mechs and weapons that are available for purchase are limited in quantity and the best equipment are only obtainable through enemy salvage.
>>
Codename Panzers Phase 1 and 2
Age of Empires 2
Seven Kingdoms 2
Men of War series
Soldiers Heroes of World War 2
Faces of War
Age of Wonders series
Rise of Nations
Company of Heroes 1
Warlock Master of the Arcane 1
Cossacks series
Dawn of War
>>
>planet alcatraz
Set on a prison world, this one has a very good and immersive voice acting and plot. It's a top-down rpg. A pretty solid one at that.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289420/Planet_Alcatraz/
>>
File: article_header.jpg (479KB, 1920x512px) Image search: [Google]
article_header.jpg
479KB, 1920x512px
>>381539929
Suck our dicks, said Legion.
Literally no excuse anymore anon, but the lack of "impact collision" kills my boner.
>>
Original War
Joint Task Force
Act of War
Theatre of War
Stronghold HD
Desperados
Robin Hood
Rush for Berlin

I would recommend Heroes of Might and Magic 3, but the Steam version sucks.
>>
>Graviteam Tactics
A nice military sim with an autismal amount of detail involved. There's also cheap dlc on sale which features scenarios involving the Soviet-Afgan war, Recent conflicts in Africa and the Sino-Soviet split.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275290/Graviteam_Tactics_Operation_Star/
>>
I'll bite, have some lesser known gems

> Renowned Explorers
(great tactical combat and variety, lots of replayability. Don't get fooled by the cartoony graphic, the game is amazing)

>The Last Federation
(Arcen game, you are the last superpowerful ayyylmao of a race that attempted to enslave the star system and got destroyed. Now you escaped captivity and can play politics of each species against each other to unify or destroy the system)

> Templar Batlleforce
(tactical turn based combat, totally not warhammer 40k)

As for the more known and recent ones, I highly recommend Steel Division and War for the Overworld. Civ VI and XCOM2 are ok. Stay away from Hearts of Iron IV (it's shit) get Darkest Hour instead.
>>
>>381540253
How's Darkest Hour as an introduction to Hearts of Iron? I've been thinking of getting into Grand Strategy lately. I've never actually bothered with any before.
>>
Obey (technically not a traditional strategy game? Not sure what you'd classify this thing)

Overlord Franchise (not fellowship of evil, arguably not strategy. Don't know what to call/consider, still worth a look.)

Planetary Annihilation: Titans (optional new faction and lots of free commanders added)

Grey Goo (new faction added as well as significant balance changes. Watch it, The Shroud loves hyperagressive expansion and build construction spam)

Supcom franchise
C&C franchise

Cortex Command is hilarious at best.

Pick up "infested planet" and "knuckle cracker collection"

Total annihilation is a yes.

Dawn of war, but only the first game and it's expansions, only get Dow2/3 if you really want, they're not as good.

Classic X-Com/ XCOM1/2
>>
Galactic civilizations 3 is $5 bucks, civ in space. It's not bad.
>>
>>381540430
Darkest Hour is arguably the best game of the series. Closely followed by 3 with all DLC
>>
>>381540430

It's good, perfect learning curve (easy to pickup and hard to master).
It is VERY polished, with good AI (which means, godly compared to recent pdx games). Tons of mods and options.

However, the thing that might but off you the most is the dated UI and graphics. Clunky and a bit old. Take a careful look at the screens, and see for yourself.
>>
>>381540220
SupCom is superior in every way to the cashgrab that is PA
>>
For people into HUGE simulators with zero graphics beyond functional icons, Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations is on sale again. €/$25 rather than €/$75.
>>
>>381540786
They don't even play alike. Get off your high-horse, UEF Pigdog.
>>
>>381540761
I never really liked those "realistic" maps. DH offers you all the information you need in a very neat wax
>>
Some games actually supported by devs and worth buying on steam:

> Original War
RTS with lots of RPG/RTT elements. Combines base building and drone spam with unique individual characters, dialogues, choices and consequences in non-linear campaign.

>Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Space RTT about armies of capital ships, actual 3D positioning and aiming, subsystems management.
>>
>>381539115
The Wargame franchise is a solid cold war rts with autistic attention to detail with all countries and equipment.

The multiplayer of Red Dragon is still alive though shrinking as people move on to Steel division.
>>
>>381541395
>though shrinking
so what, from 400 to 200?
>>
Men of War Assault Squad 2

It's a great real time tactics game, with the most mod support and custom missions in the series
>>
>>381540430
Make sure to download the Kaisserreich mod for it, Darkest Hour has the best version of the mod
>>
>>381539908
Not really strategy but have you played Mechanoids (A.I.M.) ?
It has somewhat similar gameplay (except first person) and pretty interesting but not as weird world to explore.
The world simulation is very detailed, core concepts are 1) actual production chains simulation with demand and supply through trade caravans; 2) consistent units simulation, there are no random nameless mobs, every Mechanoid (nearly-immortal AI ball) you encounter has a persistent name, level, money and inventory.
Sequel adds some management where you can recruit others as your followers.
>>
>>381539908
I have had this sitting on my wishlist for years but it never got a sale
>>
>>381541229
>Original War
seconding this rec
>>
>>381541584
300-1000 playing over last 7 days depending on time zone.

>>381541395
>sinking
yeah, no. It's Steel Division that's failing. People are sticking with RD.

http://steamcharts.com/cmp/572410,251060#1m
>>
>>381542787
Oh okay, yeah I hadn't been keeping up with the latest stats.
>>
>>381541770
Do you have to have gook level apm to be good at this game?
>>
>>381543868
There's a shitton of possible micro, every single soldier and vehicle has drag-and-drop inventory and lots of possible actions but it's all extremely situational and sometimes only relevant in SP missions, which have speed slider and pause button.
>>
>>381539115
>>>Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
>An ultra-hardcore, AUTISMUS MAXIMUS level military strategy simulator. And excellent for fans of realistic air and naval combat! Comes with a handy-dandy scenario editor so you can make your own mission at your hearts content!

Also an invaluable tool for trolling /k/
>>
>>381541229

>Original War

YES! BEST RTS/RPG MIX.

Shame that game never received a sequel.
>>
>>381539115
Supcom FA you nerds

Best RTS of all time
>>
>>381544206
> muh scenario still stands
>>
File: 1488417763569.jpg (139KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488417763569.jpg
139KB, 1280x720px
I'm looking at Men of War Assault Squad 2. Is it fun for singleplayer? I have no intention to play it multiplayer and I am of the understanding that the singleplayer content the game comes with is trash. Do mods make up for it and can I safely ignore the DLC?
>>
File: 1465558774798.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
1465558774798.png
55KB, 217x190px
>>381545424
This anon knows what is up. It still has a great community too.
>>
>>381545657
Best SP campaign is Red Tide, original MoW and FoW are pretty good too.
There's no campaign in either AS, only skirmishes versus AI, identical between nations.
There are some mods that port campaigns from previous games into AS2 but I never tried those.
>>
>>381545725
only if you are a 1000+ ELO tryhard
>>
>>381540593

the expansion is absolutely required so the real price is $20. And sadly, they've made a lot of small features from gal civ 2 into individual $4 DLCs. I'm considering refunding the game after discovering this.
>>
>>381546573

>Expansion comes out, I already have game from HB
>"Meh, I will wait for sale for at least 10-20% off"
>Expansion cost the same

Not the first time when I bought something and turns out I wont use it - and sadly, probably not the last.
>>
>>381540580
>Grey Goo

Last time I tried to play it, game was dropping "connection error" in singleplayer game, ALWAYS. I could not save the game, I couldnt even go past second mission, since error was dropping after some trigger in mission.

Devs asked for report and said that they are "working on it". Year passed and still nothing.

Avoid Grey Poo.
>>
>>381539115
Thank you so much OP. I don't got some hardcore gaming laptop/pc but I will be sure to check them out. Only games I play on pc are strategy ones.

Superpower 3 when?
>>
Is the Summer Sale static now? I haven't followed it for years but last I remember they had different deals for different days and weeks and flash sales.
>>
>>381550182
All sales were static for years now.
Wagecucks complained too much about missed flash sales.

New Insomnia fucking when?
>>
Is company of heroes 2 bad guys? Only played coh 1 original campaign. Also are the servers for coh 1 still alive?
>>
>>381550964
good strategy game, bad coh game
>>
>>381539115

>>>Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
>An ultra-hardcore, AUTISMUS MAXIMUS level military strategy simulator. And excellent for fans of realistic air and naval combat! Comes with a handy-dandy scenario editor so you can make your own mission at your hearts content!

If you love Harpoon, Fleet Command etc. Definitely.

Don't expect to get wooed by graphics tho. Think military symbols played over Google Earth.

Get Gmap to enhanced targeted areas building overlays etc. Also the Community DB images mod.

No multiplayer either if that's your thing.
>>
>>381539115
>>Transport Fever
>A relatively new game where you take control of a transport empire and use road, rail, boat and plane to deliver cargo and people where they have to be! Addicitive as fuck!
This game has a few negative reviews that reveal some serious issues with it.

Do you have any other transport tycoon-like games to recommend?
>>
>>381550947
Well this is trash. That'll learn me for being excited for once.
>>
>>381550964
Get the Blitzkrieg mod for CoH 1.
Multiplayer is dead but if you've got friends, play with them.
>>
I liked World in Conflict a lot. Would the Wargame series be good for me? Also, which game in the series should I get and is there any DLC that is highly recommended for that game?
>>
>>381554204
I would buy Red Dragon since it's the newest version. Multiplayer is dead for the older games.

The developers of the Wargame series have made a new game - Steel Division: Normandy 44. Most of the playerbase has moved there.
>>
File: A-10 nosound.webm (3MB, 600x336px) Image search: [Google]
A-10 nosound.webm
3MB, 600x336px
>>381554204
Wargame is a bit more realistic than World in Conflict. It's really focused on multiplayer. Get Wargame RD with all the DLC.
>>
8-Bit armies is pretty fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/758/8Bit_Armies_Complete_Edition/

And if you just want the multiplayer you can either play for free with rotating factions ever week or buy the multiplayer pack for a buck and get all the factions.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/586040/8Bit_Armies_Arena/
>>
Is Company of Heroes 2 worth it or should I go with the first game for now?
>>
>>381539115
>Ctrl-f
>No maelstrom

wow, its like everyone here has shit taste.

This one was one of the rarest game on the time when STALKER and slav developers started swinging. It mixes FPS/RTS mechanics with terrain alteration(flooding the map with water for aliens and altering it completely with the high tech faction)

Also.

Wargame, because its actually a well done game based on a cold war gone hot scenario

Endwar, simplistic as fuck, but the voice control has never given me problems and overall interesting

Endless space/2, either one will do, these are 4x games but pretty well designed, not exactly original or revolutionary but I do recommend

Xenonauts, because Xcom is already recommended, its a remake of Xcom but more true to the original and has some interesting quirks here and there(air battles can be managed for example)

any UFO game, but only if you really XCOM because its exponentially repetitive but hits right into the reward parts of your brain.

Darwinia, not because its particularly good but its quite aesthetic and rewarding and hasn't appeared in this thread.

Galactic civilizations II, if you want to see how a game of 2006 has better AI than the entire Civ franchise and most x4 games.
>>
>>381554694
Original
>>
>>381554808
Cheers Anon
>>
Jagged Alliance 2
>>
>>381554204
get European Escalation and Red Dragon.
EE has a nice, if difficult campaign, while Red Dragon has the best competitive balance and MP.
When it comes to DLC, none are really that necessary. Until later Red Dragon, all DLCs were free, and the ones that aren't only add a few new nations.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.