[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Seven Cancers of modern gaming: 1. DLC 2. Microtransactions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: 6AZJ5Sl.png (14KB, 472x489px) Image search: [Google]
6AZJ5Sl.png
14KB, 472x489px
The Seven Cancers of modern gaming:
1. DLC
2. Microtransactions
3. Early Access games masquerading as full releases (SFV, Battlefront)
4. Season Passes
5. Pre-Orders
6. Remakes and Remasters
7. DRM
>>
8. political agenda plugging
9. pay to play online
>>
Weekly game changing updates to multiplayer games
>>
10. Communists
>>
11. Children
>>
12.Memes
>>
>>381531760
That would mean that the devs are putting actual consistent work into the game which never fucking happens
>>
>>381531528
DLC is not if done right way
>>
>>381532053
t. shill
>>
13. Consoles
>>
>>381531528
Season Passes and DLC aren't necessarily bullshit, but you're right in that they usually are.

DLC is basically a better way to introduce the 'expansion pack'.
>>
14. Niggers
>>
>>381531528
paying for skins.
>>
15. "Heroes" / team-role based games
>>
>>381532043
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds does this. Weekly tweaks and optimizations on top of monthly actual new content patches.

Rust does it as well, but Rust is fucking cancer and been in early access for like 20 years now.
>>
>>381532360
still better than paying for weapons/ assets/ perks
>>
>>381531528
big one a lot of people forgot about, im glad I haven't seen it used as shamelessly recently

QTEs
>>
File: 1480203148729.jpg (32KB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
1480203148729.jpg
32KB, 189x189px
>>381532194
Don't forget about Pre-Order Bonus Day One DLC.

Fuck that shit, if it's day one dlc then throw it into the base game. DLC should be something that devs develop AFTER they have a solid launch and the game has been out for at least a few weeks. Anything else is literally sectioning off finished game for more funbucks.
>>
File: DXMD_Augment_Your_PreOrder.0.0.jpg (178KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
DXMD_Augment_Your_PreOrder.0.0.jpg
178KB, 1600x900px
>>381533845
and this is how you destroy any and all goodwill your previous game has managed to generate
>>
>>381531528
Yes
>>
>>381534057
This one made me sick. Fuck Square-Enix.
>>
>>381533410
/v/ loves QTEs. Look at how much they shill "character-action" garbage and Platinum shit.
>>
File: 1326475869708.jpg (33KB, 282x329px) Image search: [Google]
1326475869708.jpg
33KB, 282x329px
>In-game pre-order bonuses that are exclusive to various game retailers
>>
>>381534057
Ugh, that was some of the most egregious bullshit I've ever seen from SE.

Only thing I can think of on that level was the fucking Evolve debacle, where I saw DLC before I saw the game reveal trailer.
>>
>>381534362
Everyone will agree that the QTEs in shit like Bayonetta are some of the weak points.
W101 had some funny QTEs, which remedied them somewhat, but they're still bad implementations.
>>
>>381532194
Do you remember actual expansion packs that were like a whole new game but they hijacked the pre-existing engine and totally reworked new features into a game.

Compare to DLC which varies from one cosmetic item to 40 hours of gameplay, or it acts as a facade for content unlocks or other garbage. Do not sully the good intentions of an expansion pack with that of DLC.
>>
>>381531528
>I want free shit: the post
Fuck off, pirate scum.
>>
File: 1362345895131.jpg (16KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
1362345895131.jpg
16KB, 325x325px
>>381534496
>Buying a texture for $7
The free market is great and all, but I really wish people weren't stupid enough to support this shit, so it would finally die.
>>
>>381534532
What about say, Metal Gear Rising? 80% of all gameplay is scripted or QTE-infested with the remaining 20% being ultimately barebones hack-n-slash action gameplay.
>>
>>381531528
>high production cost and casual's
>>
>>381534532
QTE's are hard to do right, and they're a thing that need to be done perfectly. Too many and it just feels like you're watching a movie and playing a "press button now" sim. They literally only need to be used as a "Press X to cool" moment, and once in a blue moon.
>>
>>381534546
DLCs these days are mostly just same engine, same characters, same gameplay, same assets, maybe oen new area and some new story. That will be $20.

>>381534661
I haven't played it, but it does seem to put a huge focus on ''cinematic'' over-the-top moments with button mashing gameplay. I guess it's a cheap way to empower the player without forcing them to play well, which doesn't go well with Kamiya's philosophy. But, I'm not sure he even directed it.
>>
>>381531528
1. Nintendo
2. Anything else involving them
>>
>>381534785
QTEs are inherently flawed, I think. It stands for quick-time event, meaning something you have to react to and do the right input within a timeframe. It's just not good from a gameplay standpoint and could easily be substituted with something more interesting.
Take >>381534661 for example. There are parts were Raiden will run up an enemy's limb while slashing furiously at it. The game already lets you run and slash, so why the hell did they make this a QTE? It would have felt incredibly satisfying if it was the player doing the action themselves, and I can't see a reason why that couldn't work.
>>
>>381534546
I didn't want to broadstroke it and say ALL DLC is shit; there are a couple like Lost and the Damned that do exactly that, but you're right, for the most part, a lot of it is shit.
>>
>>381531528
Pre-orders aren't exactly cancer. it costs more money to print a physical copy of a game than to sell it digitally and extra stock just ends up in a warehouse and/or being discounted so companies use preorders to gauge consumer interest for a game and know to increase the initial printing if necessary. Pre-order bonuses and especially exclusive pre-order bonuses are kind of cancerous though. The reason you pre-order should either be because you want to guarantee a physical copy on launch day or because you bank with GameStop, not because you want a pre-order bonus.
>>
>>381534985
>Easily
I meant to type usually there.
>>
>>381534985
It's not unlike scripted events where you can very precisely model and animate a scene to give it greater realism and impact, but as a general rule I don't find them wholly appealing myself.
>>
Nah, "cinematic experiences" are the biggest problem and those kind of games will only continue to smother anything that can be called "creative" in video games.
>>
>>381531528
Now that's an image I haven't seen in a while
>>
>>381533410
The only game to do QTEs right was Sonic Unleashed.
>it's a game about going fast
>the player needs to react fast
>the reward is going to a higher/faster branch
>failure sends the player to a lower/slower branch
I think a couple of them killed you if you messed up, but the vast majority were basically just there to reward fast reflexes. It did a good job of making the player feel like they were Sonic and they were going fast.
>>
>>381531528
>1. DLC
Not cancerous by default. DLC, those developed after the release of the game, priced right or even free are a blessing.
Day one DLC with crazy prices are real cancer. DLC done right are basically expansion packs which isn't something only modern games have.
>2. Microtransactions
True, won't debate.
>3. Early Access games masquerading as full releases (SFV, Battlefront)
True, won't debate.
>4. Season Passes
Season passes are literally "planned DLC". So refer to the first point.
>5. Pre-Orders
Always existed, it's not a modern gaming thing. Pre-Order exclusive content though is cancer, I'll give you that.
>6. Remakes and Remasters
Always existed, it's not a modern gaming thing. Also, putting together remakes, which re-create a game from scratch, and remasters, which are only glorified ports, is very dumb.
>7. DRM
True, won't debate.
>>
>>381535030
The problem with pre-orders is the fact that technology has advanced to the point where you can effortlessly produce physical copies of games with marginal cost compared to yesteryear where discs, boxes, and assembly cost a small fortune. To further the cancer you commit, at least in my experience, the full retail of a yet-to-be demoed game, which means, with few exceptions that you could've bought into a steaming pile of shit and the publisher and retailer are well within their rights to turn away anyone that comes asking for a refund. No Man's Sky ring a bell? But to top it off they incentivize it with pre-order bonuses. Frankly outside of any circumstance other than a limited edition box there is no reason to ever pre-order or otherwise commit your money towards a highly speculative risk with little payout in the end. Why people commit themselves to this abysmal practice I will never understand.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.