[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was The evil Within ahead of its time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

File: The_Evil_Within.png (743KB, 764x828px) Image search: [Google]
The_Evil_Within.png
743KB, 764x828px
Was The evil Within ahead of its time?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (54KB, 637x418px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
54KB, 637x418px
>>381524550
What? No it was behind its time, to the point of being very very embarrassing. It plays like somehing Ubisoft would have put out two years after RE4, not something from the same people almost a decade later.
>>
>>381524550
No, it was a clunky piece of shit with clunky controls and shit weapons that didn't do enough damage at all
>>
>>381524550
maybe

it was way too linear for its own good though. I'm speed running it now and the game is literally a rollercoster hallway. I hear they're making TEW2 a bit more open ended with more open environments. I hope they strike a balance between the exploration and more linear bits, TEW1 was too linear
>>
Maybe if it came out 20 years ago.
>>
Perfect game
>>
>>381525163
>>381525526

Its fun because I hated this game when it came out, like I'd give it a 6-7, but I just bought it on PC at 9 dollaroos to prepare myself for the 2nd game and I'm really enjoying it. I don't know if it's because I learned how to approach it or if shit got patched, but it's way, way better than how it was when it launched.
>>
>>381524550
yeah, it was the first resident evil to feature a homolust relationship

Other than that it was a carbon copy of RE4 with better graphics and stealth mechanics
>>
>>381524550
it was behind of it's time
>>
>>381524550
It's just the shitmans Resident evil 4.

Resident evil 4 was ahead of it's time. And like you, i'm american.
>>
File: 1396728727927.png (123KB, 430x403px) Image search: [Google]
1396728727927.png
123KB, 430x403px
Man I like it.

But I also like Dark Void.

Turns out bad games are good when they're cheap.
>>
>>381526353
Probably just learned to approach it. Everyone who says they hate it simply couldn't get past the casual filter. It's a solid game that actually punishes bad players, so it's no surprise /v/ doesn't like it.
>>
>>381525714
>speed running
Opinion discarded
>>
>>381525526
Have you ever played Resident Evil 4, anon? Have you considered that perhaps what might seem to you to be a 'clunky piece of shit' actually has a preferable amount of struggle in the act of shooting enemies?
>>
>>381526540
Bad games are not good when they're cheap. Bad games are never good and they must be seen for the corruption they represent and crushed like the rotten filth they are.
>>
>>381526675
Don't you think its a little bit retarded that you can't shoot or aim while moving?
>>
File: Untitled.png (240KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
240KB, 1360x768px
O-oh...
>>
>>381525818
How would you know if you hadn't even been born 20 years ago?
>>
File: 1c7a4f4e025aee5e7f82cdde64281aff.gif (1000KB, 600x302px) Image search: [Google]
1c7a4f4e025aee5e7f82cdde64281aff.gif
1000KB, 600x302px
>>381526939

Hey have fun with a passable game buddy it's got some good bits up in there.
>>
File: 1484782777649.jpg (47KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
1484782777649.jpg
47KB, 900x506px
>>381526558
>Everyone who says they hate it simply couldn't get past the casual filter. It's a solid game that actually punishes bad players, so it's no surprise /v/ doesn't like it.

No, it's just a 7.
It's not even frustrating to die and I'm not sure where a casual filter is supposed to be
The "kill every enemy in this room" aren't as good as the Mercenary mode in any RE but there is nothing wrong with them.

>>381525163
This.
Especially when you remember it was supposed to be Mikami's magnum opus (or any of his interviews before release).
It has charme though and the story DLCs are much better.

I'd say the game would be better as a mystery game. Characters were nice
>>
>>381526939
>R34H

Those 3D loli SFM animations are pretty good, huh?
>>
I like the game, there's really no novel concepts in it. And I feel there's too much weebshit in it (like "krimson city" or "THE AGONY CROSSBOW") but it's a fun game, with several flaws.

The plot is terrible, sadly, because the premise was interesting.
But the plot itself is completely unrewarding, it literally offers no closure for ANY of its points. You never get any info on the organization, what happened to Joseph, Myra's disappearance, Lily's death, the cult and so on. They just threw in a lot of concepts so that they can (hopefully) be resolved with the 2nd game.

Also, the upgrade system was just fucked up. I like upgrade systems, but not when you have to upgrade LITERALLY EVERYTHING. Instead of increasing ammo carrying capacity in general, you're left with "gotta upgrade the carrying capacity for every type of ammo manually".

The "survival" mechanics were really just there to hamper you. The game will literally never let you run out of ammo, it will start spawning ammo when you run low. So there's really no point in restricting you to carry like 10 revolver bullets at all times to give you the illusion that you have to conserve ammo, because you don't.
>>
>>381527243
They are.
>>
>>381526939
just don't use console commands until you beat the game no matter how fun it makes it
>>
>>381526838
You can move while shooting in The Evil Within, but I don't think not being able to move while shooting is an issue in general. In fact, I like that it creates tension between attacking and defending because it puts pressure on the player to position themselves effectively. It also asks you to sacrifice either your ammo or your health to differing degrees depending on how skilled you are at shooting. All these little tensions come together to create a more anxiety producing experience rather than just mind numbing by-the-numbers action. What exactly is wrong with not being able to move and shoot at the same time?
>>
>>381526939
It's not bad, not that good either but it has some good parts and charme
>>
>>381526540
No, Dark Void is actually good.
>>
>>381527590
>What exactly is wrong with not being able to move and shoot at the same time?

What is the point of graphically realistic games if the gameplay is not realistic?
>>
File: never ever.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
never ever.png
572KB, 600x580px
>tfw people actually say that "its not realistic to have a game where the character can't shoot and move at the same time", not realizing that aiming while moving is extremely fucking hard even with a fucking sub compact pistol and that it takes years if not months of training to manage to be slightly accurate to fire while moving
>>
anybody care to explain to me the reason behind this sack of shit's inclusion in the game?
>>
>>381527904
t. Randy Stair
>>
>>381527869
I'd say shooting and moving should be possible, with an accuracy penalty depending on your speed
>>
>>381528082
he was the homolust interest of the main protagonist
>>
>>381527869
Realistic graphics help you form a connection between the reality that you experience and you expect and the reality of the game. That doesn't mean you have to sacrifice everything at the altar of realism though. It's not a worthwhile gameplay experience to watch your character sleep in real time for instance, the screen should just go black and the game should fast forward to morning. It can be the same way with moving and shooting. You can create interesting encounters if you make the player make a choice between attacking and defending.
>>
>>381524550
>>381526939
It is. Miyazaki stole the doll idea and visual art-style from Mikami. RE7 imporoved on shadow matching puzzles mechanic from TEW. The game is sure somewhere up there, just people don't know it. It is simply fucking amazing. And DLCs are even better.
>>
>>381526612

well I mean "speed-running" for the trophy, not actual autistic speed-running.I'm just going through the content as fast as I can. It's quite fun to clear the majority of the game in a single sitting
>>
>>381524550
>Ahead of its time
>Literally Shinji Mikami greatest hits collection
>>
>>381524550
It felt like it was just missing something that I couldn't readily identify. The basics are there, you just need to shine and add a little more to it, so maybe the sequel will do what an actual sequel should do and do that.
>>
>>381526353
I feel you. On my first playthrough I was really disappointed cause I was expecting some kind of survival horror game with puzzles and backtracking, instead of that we got some hardcore mix of RE4 with the DMC upgrade system and a lot of weeb shit like that hospital save room where Tatiana is. Now I'm replaying it again and I'm having a really good time basically cause I'm digging the gameplay mechanics which are great. Other than that, the game has awful story telling and a lot of unnecessary shit to make characters look 'cool'. Like that stupid lantern that Sebastian carries instead of an actual flashlight or 'I'm super tacky and thats why I have a revolver cause muh westerns I suppose'. There's a lot of shit that really takes you out from the experience.
>>
>>381525163
It really sucks, I like a lot of the ideas with TEW but it really was shitty. Garbage DLC too.

Hopefully they fix it in the sequel but I fucking hate OOOH GOTTA SAVE THE DAUGHTER horror plots.
>>
File: 1469659813048.jpg (58KB, 529x767px) Image search: [Google]
1469659813048.jpg
58KB, 529x767px
>>381533029
>Garbage DLC too
Hey! I watched it on twitch dot tv too! What a shit game!
>>
>>381533442
Am I supposed to be thrilled at playing as Safehead? Fuck that.
>>
>>381533732
What, you didn't like smash heads with hammer? Well too bad for you fag because I enjoyed it. And I'm pretty sure you are aware of Kidman DLCs which are actually better then main game.
>>
>>381524550
nah, Mikami failed at aping RE4, a game he made ffs
>>
I really wanted to like the game,I really did but just couldn't
>>
>>381533732
>>381533029
Kidman DLC is alright.
>>
>>381524550
No. The opposite.

They started development for the game on the PS3/360 and half way through development they shifted over to the PS4/XB1.

In terms of gameplay the game is a branch off his RE work, a mix between 4, the combat and camera, and 1, not much ammo around, underpowered lead and some references. It's not particularly evolutionary, that's not a bad thing, it's a good game, it's just not genre defining or iconic like RE1 and 4. Very few games are.
>>
>>381527146
>The "kill every enemy in this room" aren't as good as the Mercenary mode in any RE but there is nothing wrong with them.

no, you are just a filthy casual who only wants spamming headshots instead of using even the least amount of strategy to take down the enemies like in TEW
>>
>>381527265
>The plot is terrible, sadly, because the premise was interesting. But the plot itself is completely unrewarding, it literally offers no closure for ANY of its points

Well, the game was really ahead of it's time

The plot completely makes sense if you actually think through it and put it together even without the dlc. It's a shame that not even the critics bothered with it and the general opinion on the game is that the plot "literally doesn't make sense".
>>
>>381525163
>RE4 good
>Evil within bad
>reason
>time
WOW THATS FUCKING RETARDED
>>
>>381525163
that's a really shitty taste you have there

you are just crying because the game wasn't your "baby's first survival/action horror". TEW was literally just a harder RE4 with more survival aspects.
>>
>>381537343
That's not entirely untrue.

The issue might be the same Bayonetta has, just because it looks and has some similarities to DMC people want to play it just like DMC and when it doesn't people call it shit. It actually means that people are playing it wrong and complaining that it sucks for it and just like that TEW has some similarities to RE4 but you're not supposed to play it like it was.
>>
>>381525526
The controls were literally the same as in RE4 just better. You were literally just too shit for this game.
>>
>>381524550
I hate how you had ammo scarcity but it's artificial scarcity. Like you'd see 40 rifle bullets scattered around the level but by default you can only carry 8 at a time.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.